In Video mode Does shutter speed on a DSLR really matter?

There's no need to get hung up about PAL or NTSC nowadays almost all TVs can play either and on computer + online makes no difference at all except you have more frame rate options.
You can disregard the film days 2x rule but be aware of the pros and cons of slower and faster shutter in video.
For most occasional users there is no need to worry at all about it.

Most UK-sold cameras are set to PAL video standards so will have 24fps (for cinema look), 25fps (PAL TV) and 50fps. If you switch the camera into NTSC mode, you'll get 24fps, 30fps and 60fps. Some cameras (Canon 1DX Mk2, Nikon D850 for example) will offer 120fps, but not so many.

There's no need to get hung up about PAL or NTSC nowadays almost all TVs can play either and on computer + online makes no difference at all except you have more frame rate options.
You can disregard the film days 2x rule but be aware of the pros and cons of slower and faster shutter in video.

I have not tried changing from PAL to NTSC, as I am not sure if it will muck things up.

When doing video you have to enter live view mode, then press record. But once in live view, the shutter stays open. It does not open and close, it is an electronic simulation, or at least that is what I read up. So maybe basic day to day situations, it is not that important. So long as there is nothing being recorded, such as rotor blades and turning wheels etc. :thinking:

Most TVs no longer play either - the last PAL broadcast in the UK was in 2012.

The issue with frame rate choice is mainly lighting for the amateur. if you frame rate doesn't match the local mains, you get a sinusoidal change in brightness level if there is any artificial lighting. This can be almost negligible, but will affect your video encoder, or can be highly visible.

When doing video you have to enter live view mode, then press record. But once in live view, the shutter stays open. It does not open and close, it is an electronic simulation, or at least that is what I read up. So maybe basic day to day situations, it is not that important. So long as there is nothing being recorded, such as rotor blades and turning wheels etc. :thinking:

Shutter speed always affects motion portrayal (up to a limit which is over 300 fps). You can compromise between motion blur and stutter.

Most TVs no longer play either - the last PAL broadcast in the UK was in 2012.

The issue with frame rate choice is mainly lighting for the amateur. if you frame rate doesn't match the local mains, you get a sinusoidal change in brightness level if there is any artificial lighting. This can be almost negligible, but will affect your video encoder, or can be highly visible.

Shutter speed always affects motion portrayal (up to a limit which is over 300 fps). You can compromise between motion blur and stutter.

I just could not see much difference myself, when I choose various shutter speeds. But I am still testing things at the moment.

Back