Instagram - share your user name

fotografie_by_mwb

I’ve decided that I really like Instagram so I’ve made it my mission to grow my account to a 1000 followers by the end of the year, without paying for any!

@Ricardodaforce i find IG to be a very fickle place - often people follow you because they're hoping you'll follow them back. Either way, many then unfollow. Which is annoying when you reach 1006 followers as I did this weekend, only to fall back to 999 this morning and now up to 1001 as I've posted something. I really don't get how some people have huge following numbers..

Unless they follow Justin Beiber, Eminem, The Rock etc, gain followers that way through association and then unfollow them all and repeat that process.

@Ricardodaforce i find IG to be a very fickle place - often people follow you because they're hoping you'll follow them back. Either way, many then unfollow. Which is annoying when you reach 1006 followers as I did this weekend, only to fall back to 999 this morning and now up to 1001 as I've posted something. I really don't get how some people have huge following numbers..

Unless they follow Justin Beiber, Eminem, The Rock etc, gain followers that way through association and then unfollow them all and repeat that process.

I agree 100%. I managed to get to 250 followers then within a few minutes was down to 246!

Yep, I see similar (although with a much lower following count ) - I guess some people will follow in the hope of a follow back and then drop you as they need the right ratio of followers/following to look popular own there - I don't understand myself either.

I did read an interesting article about people buying followers and using apps/bots to like photos - a good tip is if you see one of your followers liking 8 posts each time, it is a good chance they use bots as 8 is the most posts you can like in a certain time apparently...

Anyway, followed a lot on here now ( and wont be unfollowing if I get a follow back (y))

Out of interest, does anyone find a purpose to using instagram other than as a place to host images online i.e. are you making sales or getting any other benefit from using the service? I'm wondering whether it's worth the trouble of setting up & maintaining an account, or whether to just stick with Flickr only.

Yep, I see similar (although with a much lower following count ) - I guess some people will follow in the hope of a follow back and then drop you as they need the right ratio of followers/following to look popular own there - I don't understand myself either.

I did read an interesting article about people buying followers and using apps/bots to like photos - a good tip is if you see one of your followers liking 8 posts each time, it is a good chance they use bots as 8 is the most posts you can like in a certain time apparently...

Anyway, followed a lot on here now ( and wont be unfollowing if I get a follow back (y))

Instagram have done quite a lot in recent years to ban 'bot' accounts and automated app API's so that it limits the amount of auto-likes and auto-uploads that are possible, but it's inevitable that some will still sneak through as the potential financial rewards are huge.

The whole follow-unfollow (or "follow frenzies" as I believe they are referred to in instagram marketing circles) also spawned app's to help people follow and unfollow accounts in an automated way and also to see who had unfollowed them - again, Instagram is trying to close these loopholes.

Ironically it was Insta themselves who made it really difficult to grow accounts when they change their algorithm from chronological to now being based on account size and how much you interact with different accounts. So previously your post would show up in all of your followers timeline in the order in which they were posted. Now, the account size plays a big part in whether it shows to followers or when - so an account that's already sizeable has more chance of showing up - which makes newer accounts harder to grow. Plus, people are more likely to follow accounts with greater numbers of followers.

I've found engaging in the Instagram community hugely beneficial to follower count. If you're actively commenting on images you like etc you will build a steady audience!

Back