Interesting and cheap day out in London - Suggestions please...

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Week off with the kids next week, and struggling to decide what to do when down there. Any suggestions for those cheaper/free but interesting things to do? Would probably drive and park in North London or Stratford then tube/walk the day. Kids are 8 (almost) and 10 and last time we probably walked close on 10 miles so that's not an issue. Last time we did Highgate Cemetery which was very interesting (and gave some good photo ops), followed by a walk round Hampstead and the Heath, and the time before that we focussed on Borough Market and then walked round London, Covent Garden etc... Have to say (at the risk of sounding tight) that I begrudge paying the £60 or so for a visit to Tower of London and then spend half of it queuing with loads of 14yo French students!!! Is there anything off the beaten track a little (in North or Central London). Have in the past done the British Museum, Science and Nat History ones too.

Possibly thinking of the Postal Museum as it looks interesting, or something like Golders Hill Park which has a free zoo and a wander around North London

Any ideas will be welcome.

I used to take my kids to London for a day out when they were younger. We sometimes used to take a boat trip from Westminster pier, you can go to Greenwich or as far as the Thames barrier IIRC. It’s very good value and a travel card can be used to subsidise the cost further.

Alll the museums are free entry and superb, Camden market is interesting for a walk around for a couple of hours too.

Provided you book in advance the Sky Garden (Walkie Talkie building) is worth seeing. Overlook the Thames, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast at the front and Gerkin etc at the rear. South bank skate park usually has plenty of action. If the kids are into skate-boarding they can join in.

Science and Natural History museums then have a stroll back through Hyde Park, Green Park and St James Park.
When you had to pay to get in I used to take my daughter there after work, it was free from four until they shut

Greenwich Park is another good one, kids like the Parakeets that live wild there, National Maritime Museum is free and pedestrian tunnel under the thames.
Also the cable car over the Thames or free trip on the Woolwich Ferry then 69 bus back to Stratford.

RAF Hendon at Colindale has just re-opened after a massive refurbishment for the RAF100 celebrations.

Free entry, pay for car parking (£4 for 6 hours I think),.

I spent 4 hours there with my 9 year old last Sunday and could have spent longer - lots of events and things to do for the kids over the holidays

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/

D

Plenty of free museums, although the more famous ones tend to get rammed during the holidays. The Museum of London is interesting and is usually a bit quieter. Postman’s Park is also just down the road and worth a look.

Last edited:
Thanks all, have done most of the museums, Colindale may be a good option, not done that for years though

Possibly for when they're older, but the National Gallery is fantastic, and free.

Also the maritime museum at Greenwich has a load of interesting stuff, plus you can walk up to the observatory and the stand on the meridian the world gets its time from, plus for variety you can catch a boat along the river to get there and back (or DLR).

As your kids don't seem to mind walking, how about a walking tour. Lots of companies to choose from and many do it for a "name your own price" where you pay what you feel is fair at the end of the tour. For example this street art one by strawberry tours.

I've also heard good things about the V&A's Museum of childhood in Bethnal Green.

Another good place is the Canal Museum on the Regents Canal behing Kings Cross station. Walk along the towpath too, I kept my boat moored up at St Pancras Lock. Its a nice interesting area and can also stroll up to Camden Lock or Regents Park

Last edited:
We're in London now at my son's, was gonna do Kew, place looks amazing, but it's been too damn warm. £40 for two adults and two children I think is a good deal for a whole day especially 'darn sarth'

Tower Bridge was half a days worth, IF you like history and the industrial revolution and all that, wrought Iron ......some great stories behind the people who built it!

Back