ios4.3

what does it offer over 4.2

Faster safari is the only benefit for me as the personal hotspot is iphone 4 only, i'm still a humble 3gs owner.

ITunes home sharing is nice. I've been using it on the GM for just over a week. Works well.

I still use air video to stream movies to my ipad though as it converts them on the fly rather than having to rip everything into iTunes first

It snuck out whilst you were snoozing yesterday evening :)

Safari is much faster on he iPad. Well worth the upgrade just or that.

I've been using it for several days and find the browsing is definitely snappier. I've had no issues with it with all my usual apps working fine.

mmmmmmm ipad.......... tempting just for a big screen to play the new angry birds levels

Personal hotspot is just tethering, isn't it? If not hen what's the difference?

It allows you to tether via wifi instead of just Bluetooth and cable.

Ah, ok. I've been doing that for years with PDAnet anyway, I thought normal tethering already worked that way.

Still need a tethering plan as well I take it.

One of the Mac magazine newsletter emails suggests that older iPhone owners might lose some security features.... but take from that what you will. There's always a bit of scaremongering about. Still, I'd like to move up from my 3G when I can afford it.... I love my photo apps and just want slightly better snaps...

I see they removed the multi touch gestures from the final release.. That's all I was looking forward to..

I see they removed the multi touch gestures from the final release.. That's all I was looking forward to..

which ones did they remove?

i have the 4 finger gestures to switch between multi task apps, it;s cool, or was that always there and i never knew about it?

Waiting for the new jailbreak before I contemplate moving to 4.3. There aren't really any features worthwhile upgrading to for me. The new Safari javascript engine looks nice on paper but according to a few reviews done it doesn't seem to make an overwhelming difference.

Either way though, even a small speed increase is better than nothing. :)

which ones did they remove?

i have the 4 finger gestures to switch between multi task apps, it;s cool, or was that always there and i never knew about it?

Is that just on iPad? Can't get anything like that on my 4 :(

New Jailbreak out for Mac and Windows users.

It is a tethered Jailbreak at this stage which means if you power down the device (turn off or run out of battery), you need to plug it into your computer to restart.

Not a big deal for iPad, but could be annoying on an iPhone.

Last edited:
New Jailbreak out for Mac and Windows users.

What advantages does jailbreak give you, as I ma pondering over jail-breaking my iPhone.

Thanks

You can install cracked apps ie downloaded from tinternet and not paid for.

Don't think the jailbreak is illegal, but downloading cracked apps certainly is.

iTunes home sharing is fantastic. It allows you to access your entire music library on your iPhone, as long as you're in range of your wireless network :clap:

You can install cracked apps ie downloaded from tinternet and not paid for.

Don't think the jailbreak is illegal, but downloading cracked apps certainly is.

Thanks for the response (y)

Yep jailbreaking is legal

Wouldn't be 100% sure on that one...it would depend on your contract surely?

If you have purchased your phone outright go for it but if not read the small print first as it is possible to brick your phone and your not gonna easily get a replacement if you do.

Wouldn't be 100% sure on that one...it would depend on your contract surely?

If you have purchased your phone outright go for it but if not read the small print first as it is possible to brick your phone and your not gonna easily get a replacement if you do.

What does it have to do with your contract? When you take out a contract you own then own the phone and it's yours to do with as you wish. You could take out a contract, get a phone and then immediately sell it.

The legal issue was Apple claiming that jail breaking was illegal but the court ruling was that once it was your property you could legally jailbreak it.

What does it have to do with your contract? When you take out a contract you own then own the phone and it's yours to do with as you wish. You could take out a contract, get a phone and then immediately sell it.

The legal issue was Apple claiming that jail breaking was illegal but the court ruling was that once it was your property you could legally jailbreak it.

Because quite simply with loads of contracts you DON'T own the phone until the end of the contract period. You are basically leasing it.

Try stopping paying for your contract phone and they will ask for the phone back if it is financially viable for them to do so. With an iPhone it certainly is.

Back