iPad Apps and Updates Thread

not allowed to discuss methods Cedric.

Have you updated your iPad to the newest version of OS?

I thought jailbreaking had been given the legal nod, it's ok to discuss it now on the OcUK forums & they're paranoid :)

Has been given the legal nod in USA.

Forum staff are requesting that we don't discuss techniques here.

Just bought an iPad from the Apple store in Orlando saving a few quid compared to buying in the UK. Love it love it love it! Great thread.
Quick question: I already have a few apps on my iPhone -is there anyway of syncing the apps to the iPad when I connect the iPad to my iMac back at home or will I have to buy all the apps again?

Just bought an iPad from the Apple store in Orlando saving a few quid compared to buying in the UK. Love it love it love it! Great thread.
Quick question: I already have a few apps on my iPhone -is there anyway of syncing the apps to the iPad when I connect the iPad to my iMac back at home or will I have to buy all the apps again?

Sync it with the same computer and all your apps will be shared.

Not purchased one yet. Saw it on launch day and was given conflicting info by staff so decided to wait, since then not got round to looking again till now.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

I have a lot of books for my Sony ereader in PDF format which I have stored on my PC using Calibre. Would I be able to transfer these onto the Ipad?

Also is there a way of buying new books for less than what Amazon/Waterstones are currently charging?

I have a 3GS and have been given conflicting advice as to whether if jail broken I could use this as a modem, saving on another contract. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Yes this is possible. You need to download and app called MyWi which sets up the phone as a wifi hotspot. The app costs about $9.99 if I remember correctly.

I found it best to download from Rock App (rather than Cydia) because Rock does a good job of remembering what you have paid for in case you need to restore.

Well finally succumbed and got an iPad and luv it so far, need some apps but happy happy happy.

Just got mine and love it, i use photo-sort to display and view my images, more control than the inbuilt photo app and you can create sub folders

If anyone needs or wants the SD card reader part of the camera connection kit, I have one spare that I won't be using (I only use the USB unit) so for a (confirmed) donation to TP of £10 you could save yourself some moolah.

Drop me a PM if you want it.

(Feel free to move/zap this mods if you see fit but I thought it best to post in the most relevant section for iPad owners)

Got a camera kit over the weekend from the Apple store in Newcastle

maybe easier for everyone who wanted them if they are on shelves

I was probably the only person in the world who didn't know about this app - but I just downloaded Splashtop Remote for the princely sum of 59p. Once it's installed on your PC it enables remote access from the iPad- you can now open all programmes and apps on your PC - in fact you can access any PC on the same wireless network.

Seems to work fine on a quick test. (y)

I was probably the only person in the world who didn't know about this app - but I just downloaded Splashtop Remote for the princely sum of 59p. Once it's installed on your PC it enables remote access from the iPad- you can now open all programmes and apps on your PC - in fact you can access any PC on the same wireless network.

Seems to work fine on a quick test. (y)

Superb... :geek: ...just had to download that one... :D ...it's got a GREEN icon... :LOL:

BTB... there is a Free version for those that cannot afford the knockdown price of 0.59p... :puke:

Thanks for the HU Cedric... (y) ...I'd not heard of it either... but I'm rarely on this planet so it's no surprise... :D

:p

LOL I think it just needs a wireless mouse connection to make it really functional Rog?

Some great advice and apps on this thread.

One of the reasons I bought mine was to read pdf's which are totally useless on the Sony eReader. Tried different applications but the best one so far is

MyPDF's

It allows zooming with high quality and easy book selection.

Tried iBooks, GoodReader and Stanza all of which have their short comings. MyPDF's makes pdf reading easy and comfortable.

I also use a mifi modem which I have for other things. Works a treat when we are away in the motorhome.

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris

LOL I think it just needs a wireless mouse connection to make it really functional Rog?

:bang:

Sadly SplashTop doesn't work for Mac poota stuff Cedders... :cautious:

Teach me to read the small print before rushing into such things... :rules:

...but at least the icon is a wonderful Green thing of beauty... :wacky:

:p

Some great advice and apps on this thread.

One of the reasons I bought mine was to read pdf's which are totally useless on the Sony eReader. Tried different applications but the best one so far is

MyPDF's

It allows zooming with high quality and easy book selection.

Tried iBooks, GoodReader and Stanza all of which have their short comings. MyPDF's makes pdf reading easy and comfortable.

I also use a mifi modem which I have for other things. Works a treat when we are away in the motorhome.

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris

Strange, most of the ebooks I have are PDf`s and most work fine on the original Sony ereader.

Hi Shutterbox,

I assume you are a member of mobileread forum? You will see on there that the biggest failing of all ereaders is the ability to view pdf files.

You can view them yes, but the quality is poor and zooming in creates distortion. This is because it is a bit map image (I believe). I bought my first eReader on the day they landed at Waterstones and also purchased the latest touch screen version. You can of course use Calibre to convert it to text but then lose out on pictures which either don't display or move to a different location. Along with the words being so badly converted you sometimes end up with one word to a line.

If you try to read a magazine it becomes nigh on impossible.

As I said it is not just me, this is what the whole community complains about. I was sceptical of the ipad solving this problem and indeed it did not with some of the pdf readers. It was only when I bought MyPDF's that I now have full ability to read magazines and pdf books.

Best regards

Chris

:bang:

Sadly SplashTop doesn't work for Mac poota stuff Cedders... :cautious:

I think 'LogMeIn ignition' does the same sort of thing for the Mac... I've got it but don't use it much as you can't remotely wake a sleeping Mac up with it (as I found out after buying it :bang: )... Makes it a bit pointless if you ask me :shrug:

Unfortunately it's also more money than SplashTop and the wrong colour...

Hi Shutterbox,

I assume you are a member of mobileread forum? You will see on there that the biggest failing of all ereaders is the ability to view pdf files.

You can view them yes, but the quality is poor and zooming in creates distortion. This is because it is a bit map image (I believe). I bought my first eReader on the day they landed at Waterstones and also purchased the latest touch screen version. You can of course use Calibre to convert it to text but then lose out on pictures which either don't display or move to a different location. Along with the words being so badly converted you sometimes end up with one word to a line.

If you try to read a magazine it becomes nigh on impossible.

As I said it is not just me, this is what the whole community complains about. I was sceptical of the ipad solving this problem and indeed it did not with some of the pdf readers. It was only when I bought MyPDF's that I now have full ability to read magazines and pdf books.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

No, never heard of that forum but will take a look.

As i said, i have a few hundred ebooks tha majority of which are PDF`s.

I do use Calibre, but only as a way to get them on and off the ereader. Admitted, most are novels with few if any pictures, I just put them on, change the font to the size i want and read them, never really had any problems.

Almost purchased a ipad to use as a second reader but was given conflicting info by two Apple reps in store about whether i would still be able to read these PDF`s I already have, one said "No", the other said "yes, but you will have to email them to yourself", that was a while ago, not looked into it since.

I would want to be able to load the books, enlarge the text slightly and save pages, is that possible on the ipad using the App you have?

Thanks

Hi Shutterbox,

Yes the MyPDF's app allows you to zoom in no problem and is considerably better than the eReader.

I tend to read photography magazines and books on the ipad and if you try to read these on the eReader you will get the idea of why it is very difficult. Plus of course no colour!

The ipad is simply superb but again it is about getting the correct reader and this one is very good.

Don't suppose you live near Devizes in Wiltshire? If you do, I would happy to demonstrate it working.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Shutterbox,

Yes the MyPDF's app allows you to zoom in no problem and is considerably better than the eReader.

I tend to read photography magazines and books on the ipad and if you try to read these on the eReader you will get the idea of why it is very difficult. Plus of course no colour!

The ipad is simply superb but again it is about getting the correct reader and this one is very good.

Don't suppose you live near Devizes in Wiltshire? If you do, I would happy to demonstrate it working.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately it`s about 140 miles.

Never tried reading other than novels on the ereader. Looking for a second device, thought I might get a deal on the original ereader as the new touch version is due only to find it on offer at £250 at play.com, purchased two last year as presents for £150 each.

Just need to convince myself that there are enough `other` uses for the ipad to make it worthwhile getting one.

Hi Shutterbox,

Shame you are so far away!

As mentioned I bought the ipad for the pdf ability and have been thoroughly impressed. But I also use it as a simple way of getting on the internet. Either by the side of the bed as I wake in the night, in my motorhome when we are away, rr when watching TV if I want to check on something.

Superb for viewing and showing photos. I have just bought the Eye-Fi pro so I can send photos to it as taking them. With the D3X I have two card slots as you are probably aware. One will have the Eye-Fi card with adaptor of course and recording jpegs, then straight to the ipad. Looking forward to that arriving.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Shutterbox,

With the D3X I have two card slots as you are probably aware.

Chris

Unfortunately not, I am `on the other side`so to speak.... :LOL:

OK, I am buying a ipad tomorrow. Going away on Tuesday for a week so a good time to play with it. Now need to go back through this thread and make a list of what I want to put on it.

Also trying to find out if there is anyway to use my Vodafone dongle to get on the internet with it. I know i can`t plug it in, but not sure if the dongle has a sim card I could maybe use. I have read about cutting down sim cards to fit.

I have a 3gs so don`t really want a third 3g contract.

Hi Shutterbox,

Not sure if you can use your Vodafone dongle, but might be worth googling to see what others have done.

Agree about not wanting to get another contract, which is why I did not get the 3G version and use my mi fi modem.

You won't regret buying it, enjoy!

Regards

Chris

Also trying to find out if there is anyway to use my Vodafone dongle to get on the internet with it. I know i can`t plug it in, but not sure if the dongle has a sim card I could maybe use. I have read about cutting down sim cards to fit.

I have a 3gs so don`t really want a third 3g contract.

Yes. Get a mifi and use the dongle in that. I use a sitecom unit with a t-mobile dongle on a wifi-only iPad. I've even used it to provide mobile wifi in the car whilst driving to Austria and back. You can also use it connected to your home LAN - or an hotel's ethernet connection to save on the dongle usage.

Last edited:
Yes. Get a mifi and use the dongle in that. I use a sitecom unit with a t-mobile dongle on a wifi-only iPad. I've even used it to provide mobile wifi in the car whilst driving to Austria and back. You can also use it connected to your home LAN - or an hotel's ethernet connection to save on the dongle usage.

Thanks, just been on 3 website, looks as though you still need a contract or a PAYG which runs out after 30 days.

Is there a sim card in my voda dongle I can use.

Or is the 3 micro sim for ipad a better option, 3GB for £20 and lasts 3 months?

I assume from this that you intend buying the 3g version? Yes, there will be a sim card in your voda dongle but the chances are it will have to be cut down. And I just don't know if it will then work in the iPad. I would have thought so :shrug:

I assume from this that you intend buying the 3g version? Yes, there will be a sim card in your voda dongle but the chances are it will have to be cut down. And I just don't know if it will then work in the iPad. I would have thought so :shrug:

I will buy the wi-fi version if I have to use the 3gs and the 3g version if I can use the sim card from the dongle which is wasted at the moment.

OK, got it, now the learning begins.

Going away Tuesday, so trying to get things on there that might be useful for hols, any suggestions?

Also, what is the best way to get photos on there and store/display them. Will only take a compact as it`s a lying by the pool for a week holiday.

Anyone know of a simple way to get a few movies on to the ipad?
Tried some software to copy a DVd but it is taking forever to do a 3 minute sample.

Hi Shutterbox,

Photos via iphoto and itunes.

Don't use mine for movies but do transfer video of photography training. Goes across in itunes no problem at all.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, don`t think I have iphoto, I am using a PC.

Is there anyway to get photos onto it without a computer, or do any photos have to go from a computer via itunes, so you can`t use it as as a photo storage device whilst on holiday (without taking a laptop/netbook as well).

Thank

The camera connection kit from apple is your best bet for transferring without pc

Hi Shutterbox,

I have just bought one of these:

Eye-Fi Pro

You install Shutter Snitch on the ipad, which then allows you to transfer images directly without going through a network.

Not got mine going because I have had to order an SD to CF adaptor for the D3X and D3S which should be here today or tomorrow.

Regards

Chris

Hi Shutterbox,

I have just bought one of these:

Eye-Fi Pro

You install Shutter Snitch on the ipad, which then allows you to transfer images directly without going through a network.

Not got mine going because I have had to order an SD to CF adaptor for the D3X and D3S which should be here today or tomorrow.

Regards

Chris

How's it working for you?

How's it working for you?

Hi toph,

I now have it working with the D3X and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Easy product to use and goes straight to the iPad so I can quickly review the photos.

Cannot recommend it enough.

Best regards

Chris

Back