iPad Apps and Updates Thread

cosmix3 said:
Have one myself, is great, wouldnt be without it, takes the raws straight from my Canon, and let someone try it with nikon raw, ageing straight on, so would highly recommend getting one :D

Cheers, think I might have to get one of these tomorrow ready for Shen the 5d2 arrives later in the week.

What do you view the raw files on on the iPad? Does it put the raw straight into the pictures folder or is there a decent app, is there a raw editor app?

Cheers, think I might have to get one of these tomorrow ready for Shen the 5d2 arrives later in the week.

What do you view the raw files on on the iPad? Does it put the raw straight into the pictures folder or is there a decent app, is there a raw editor app?

Loads them straight into the phot app that is pre installed, you literally plug it in switch cam on, it detects it, starts the app, and gives you a choose to import all, or select the ones to import :D showed it to someone before Christmas an within days they had one. :D

Camera connect kit is awesome, as it Adobe Photoshop Express.

I've just been in the Apple Store in Lakeside for nearly 2 hours as part of a business workshop and I've learnt about having my model release forms on the iPad so I don't need to carry paper copies. Just trying to find the best app to add signatures to it :).

I'm well impressed with it so far.

Just want to find a better app for my portfolio so I can add notes on the move and see the exif data as the basic photo app isn't ideal for it.

I've just been in the Apple Store in Lakeside for nearly 2 hours as part of a business workshop and I've learnt about having my model release forms on the iPad so I don't need to carry paper copies. Just trying to find the best app to add signatures to it :).

Can I ask how you are doing this :D

Sorry, model release part :)

Well I've got my model release forms saved in 'Pages'. This means I can just open it up, fill out the form and then e-mail it to the client and a copy to myself straight away. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the actual signature on there as I haven't managed that yet.

Well I've got my model release forms saved in 'Pages'. This means I can just open it up, fill out the form and then e-mail it to the client and a copy to myself straight away. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the actual signature on there as I haven't managed that yet.

Not got Pages yet, keep meaning to download, will have a look at it :D

Not got Pages yet, keep meaning to download, will have a look at it :D

Right, I've done it :D.

I've downloaded Sign-N-Send. This is whats used to create signatures on the iPad.

I've then got all my release forms on the iPad in .doc and .pdf files. Simply save the .pdf files in Sign-N-Send then fill them out and e-mail them as soon as they are done.

hey presto :D, only cost 59p as well :D

Right, I've done it :D.

I've downloaded Sign-N-Send. This is whats used to create signatures on the iPad.

I've then got all my release forms on the iPad in .doc and .pdf files. Simply save the .pdf files in Sign-N-Send then fill them out and e-mail them as soon as they are done.

hey presto :D, only cost 59p as well :D

will have a look tonight :D

bookmarked

Grrrrrrr, Photobucket problem.

I took a photo on my D300 in RAW, then copied onto the ipad and uploaded it to photobucket and it's given me an image this size!

What have I done wrong :(

570c6290.png

I have been looking at replacing my pc with my iPad for editing and processing day to day photos I take. The combination of apps I was thinking of are :

- piRAWnah to develop the RAW files
- photogene for basic editing
- camerasync for uploading/synching with flickr and dropbox

Anyone using this combo? Only downside I can think of is that while I will import all my raws in to lightroom too I won't have the edited versions of the pics in lightroom. I have bought the apps above. I will try them and let you know how they work.

On a separate note, i wanted an app to keep up to date with additions to the groups I joined on Flickr. I bought flickrstackr. It is really good. I like it a lot.

Dub

Last edited:
It's pretty good. If all you want to do is convert RAW then I think Photogene can do that and more - but you need to check that for yourself. PiRAWnah allows you to develop the RAW file - so you can adjust exposure and other stuff. I like it and got good results playing with it today.

Of course none of this replaces the PC. It is a lot clumsier and you can not see the picture as well during editing as you can on your PC. However, if working on the move its great.

BTW - i think camerasync was a waste of money for me. You can export to flickr straight out of photogene.

It's pretty good. If all you want to do is convert RAW then I think Photogene can do that and more - but you need to check that for yourself. PiRAWnah allows you to develop the RAW file - so you can adjust exposure and other stuff. I like it and got good results playing with it today.

Of course none of this replaces the PC. It is a lot clumsier and you can not see the picture as well during editing as you can on your PC. However, if working on the move its great.

BTW - i think camerasync was a waste of money for me. You can export to flickr straight out of photogene.

I can't find either photogene or PirAWnah on the app store :(

They are there under iPad apps. I fact photogene is in the top 10 so you must be doing something wrong mate,

They are there under iPad apps. I fact photogene is in the top 10 so you must be doing something wrong mate,

I've found it. I don't know what I was doing wrong before.

Photogene seems like it does alot more than I want it to do. Are there any other apps that convert RAW files, preferably free apps.

Dal said:
Let me know what the piRAWnah app is like as I can't convert my raw files whilst on the move which is a massive pain.

My iPad imports RAW files straight from my D700 no problem without any additional apps, I appreciate they've obviously been converted to jpegs in the process

The iPad can read raw natively. PiRAWnah just lets you process the RAW (exposure etc) while the file is still RAW. Photogene is not expensive IMHO and you are bound to need to crop, etc. It uploads directly to a number of services eg. Flickr, dropbox, facebook and is well worth having.

One major piece of suckage is that piRAWnah is having problems with the raw produced by my lx5 :(

Just got Chopper2 for iPad at 59p at the min is great, made all the better if you use your iPone 4 as the remote to control the chopper!!!! is great :)

also use iphone for tile rack on scrabble great fun as well :) LOVE IT!! :D:LOL:

Grrrrrrr, Photobucket problem.

I took a photo on my D300 in RAW, then copied onto the ipad and uploaded it to photobucket and it's given me an image this size!

What have I done wrong :(

570c6290.png

I can't see your image but if its very small I have the same issue, D300 using the camera connector kit, when I open the imported image into photoshop express it is tiny, they look fine in the picture gallery. Anyone else have any issues?

Overdrive -(free), direct downloads of books/audio from local libraries

The software is still a bit complex and clunky to install, but once installed, and you have input an adobe id, and your library number (assuming you are a member of your local library), you can download (free) 4 books/audio titles per 14 day period.

It works on an Ipad, but still mainly for Iphone, so while the text is readable, it's not as slick and clear as a number of dedicated Ipad readers.

And you can only download titles from your local library, but the library (Leeds for me) has quite an extensive range of books available.

Checked with the app developers and they said a dedicated Ipad app is imminent.

Developers web site- www.overdrive.com

Parcel -Courier Package Delivery Tracking (free)

Track upto 3 deliveries (in the free version) including Royal Mail.

Entering the tracking number and you can track delivery by notifications/interactive map.

Store address- http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/parcel/id375589283?mt=8

Not used it yet (as I have not posted any parcels).

Any newer recommendations for iPad apps? Most lists contain the tried and tested stuff like angry birds or pages etc... What newer apps are worth getting? I love cover orange which is like an angry birds type game and big cup cricket which is fun.

Here are a couple of my faves;

1) Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - Best racing game on iPad. Just the right amount of sensitivity.

2) KeyNote - view, create and edit power point presentations

3) Splinter Cell Conviction - great controls, lot's of game play and beautiful graphics.

4) Fifa 11 - best football game out at the moment

5) VLC Player - play AVI files on the iPad without converting them to mp4. Pulled from the App Store last week, but still available on Installous for those with a jailbreak on the iPad.

6) iBooks - a free one, but a good one. Read all your eBooks and PDFs on the iPad.

7) dJay for iPad - If you are into mixing, get this app. Let's you mix 2 tracks together like you are really mixing on decks. Load tunes from your music library and away you go. Really good app.
http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad

That's all for now. I don't have the iPad with me, so I can't remember any more at the moment!!

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting into astro photography and can thoroughly recommend these packages:

Stellarium – XL simple, £0.59 if think and good

Star Walk, very good and I think a couple of pounds.

Redshift, something like £5.99 but also very good.

You are able to move your iPad around the sky and identify what stars, clusters, nebulas etc. you are seeing.

You can also search and it will tell you which way to go.

Regards

Chris

I've just downloaded the sky news app and it's amazing! It's like something from a movie. All the stories are presented as video clips and when you tap one it slides to the middle of the screen and starts playing. At the same time other relevant info slides into place around the clip such as pictures, related video clips, stats etc. Clicking one of these brings it into focus while still playing the original clip in one corner. You really need to try it.

Incidentally, it runs very smoothly on the iPad 2 :)

Great work everyone, especially to smoothedit for keeping the first page updated. I'm in the States and bought a 64GB iPad (First gen) today as the price was too good to turn down, now going through the list and updating my apps.

Has anyone tried "sort shots" sounds quite good -
www.sortshots.com

Yes and they have made some improvements to the original version which could only sort the shots by keywords added within the program so it can now read Lightroom keywords.

However I still don't find it a very satisfying way of viewing photos so I stick to the regular photo viewer with lots of albums created by Lightroom.

Probably already mentioned but my vote goes to -

Docs to go
Print n share
im+
Speedball 2

Has anyone tried "sort shots" sounds quite good -
www.sortshots.com

Speedball 2 was one of my favorite games on the Amiga About 2 decades ago! Didn't know it was back... Nostalgia time! (y)

Flashman said:
Speedball 2 was one of my favorite games on the Amiga About 2 decades ago! Didn't know it was back... Nostalgia time! (y)

Ditto! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Any further comments regarding Print N Share?
Reviews look a bit patchy but the idea of a reliable print option is very attractive.
I have an Epson Stylus something and a Canon Pixma something.

gramps said:
Any further comments regarding Print N Share?
Reviews look a bit patchy but the idea of a reliable print option is very attractive.
I have an Epson Stylus something and a Canon Pixma something.

I use printopia on the mac. It allows you to print using the ipad's built in print function to any printer available to your mac. You can also print to the mac which creates a PDF and also print to dropbox which prints a PDF to dropbox which then syncs back to the iPad etc, which is pretty cool.

Not sure if there is a windows version or equivalent.

Fingerprint:

Found an 'app' that works brilliantly in printing from iPad to a printer attached to a Windows PC - app called 'Fingerprint'. Install the app onto the Windows PC and iPad will see all printers attached to the PC - just does what it says on the tin. :)

Does anyone know of an app that does this :
A user can select and image and a size and the price will show up. If they chose a different size the price on screen changes. If they add more photos, again the total price changes.

Want to use my iPad as a "menu" for my photos but googling "ipad app pricing" doesnt quite work :)

Back