Review iPad Review & TP Update Thread

Apologies if this has been discussed. But can the iPad be used as a basic photo editing platform and output a decent file size?

I basically just want to load an image in using the camera connector and at most do a basic crop and colour tweak, then save the image at a reasonably large size. At home in PS, for example, I always crop at 4200x2800, 300dpi and save at Quality 12, which usually gives me a file around 6mb.

My main concern is that any apps that could do the above stuff could be restricted in terms of what they can then output. I've no idea, but slightly concerned as quite a few iPhone Apps don't even manage to re-save an image from an iPhone camera shot at full size.

99.9% of my editing work would be done on the PC, but occasionally when out and about I may want to have a little play around, especially if at a 2 day race meet for example. I'm basically trying to justify an iPad over a Laptop (I love my iPhone) and want to make sure it's reasonably flexible...even though I know it's primarily a viewing platform.

Cosmix: Just an extra bit of info on deleting images. If you have any albums synced from iphoto you cannot delete those images from within the ipad. Only those in the saved photos album can be deleted from the ipad itself. This is the same on the iphone too (the camera role is analogous to the saved images album).

Ukaskew: Photogene is one of the most comprehensive apps I have used for editing in the ipad. It will do all the things you asked for and save at full res.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to email the displayed imported photo, It seems to only want to email the RAW imported file, not a converted / resized image

Sending 15Mb RAW shots over 3G is slooooooooooow :D

Using Air Display App, you can turn your IPAD into a second screen using your wifi network:

IMG_1462.jpg

Guer- true this last week. Got frustrated by performance usig it for anything intensive

Have just updated the smoothpad to 4.2 Beta and it is goooooood! Multitasking is simply superb and it is very responsive.

Guer- true this last week. Got frustrated by performance usig it for anything intensive

Have just updated the smoothpad to 4.2 Beta and it is goooooood! Multitasking is simply superb and it is very responsive.

Now I am jealous! Wouldn't want to loose the jailbreak though!

Back