Review iPad Review & TP Update Thread

I bought 'wired'- its AMAZING! Well worth the 3 quid. Very good read .. and lots of ipad specific features :)

Even handles graphics and pictures without screwing up layout!

Just like Pages on the Mac!

I was gutted because at the time I wrote my thesis Pages didn't support Endnote referencing software so I had to use Word and put up with images jumping around the document.

Where have you guys got yours from? I want to buy a 2nd one for the Mrs, but apple site says ships June, sounds vague.

Heard that Currys and pc world still have stock.

I got mine in Palo Alto, bit far to go to get an iPad mind. :)

If you read RSS news feeds you should check out this new reader app. It looks amazing!

http://www.9to5mac.com/pulse_for_ipad_cool

I'm slowly but surely saving up for my iPad by selling CDs in Play.com.
£80 so far, so a way to go yet. :crying:

Really silly question, but never understood what these things do? So I can 'subscribe' to various sites, and updates and new stories will be put in here? How do I find the sites I want?

Really silly question, but never understood what these things do? So I can 'subscribe' to various sites, and updates and new stories will be put in here? How do I find the sites I want?

One way is that when you are on a site you want to subscribe to look for the RSS button. There is one for TP but its always a few hours behind :thumbsdown:

Roll on the OS update is all I can say....I love the device, The Times app is great for the tube (although I wish they'd provide an evening edition). Air Video streams all my videos from my HTPC to any room in the house.

BUT.....the lack of a decent IM capability is bloody annoying. Hopefully the new faux-multitasking update will enable a decent implementation.

Just bought the camera adaptor & found out you can't use the iPad as a photo-bank :(

It uploads / resizes the photos for viewing, you can't upload / store the full size images :bang:

That'll teach me to buy the 64Gb version without doing my research :bonk:

Are you sure?

Clipping from the following link http://www.macworld.com/article/150893/2010/04/ipad_camera_connection_kit.html

What does it do with Raw files?
With the camera connector kit, the iPad can upload and store raw image files such as .nef (Nikon) and .cr2 (Canon). While there isn't any way to edit or work with those raw files on the iPad at this time, the iPad does create an optimized JPEG version of each image. You can use that image the same way as you would any other kind of photo on the iPad; include it in slideshows, e-mail it, or edit it in third-party apps. Your original file remains un-altered and will transfer to your computer exactly as it was on the camera or SD card. These features should allow photographers to use the iPad as a storage, preview, and transfer device for their raw files.

I read somewhere that that's not possible Brad, I think it was on mashable or engadget, unless ofc there's a jb app for that.

edit: lol found this while looking for an answer

Yes you will be able to tether, but not with the usb cable. You will use the new multi touch air gestures shown in the demo yesterday. Place the iphone and ipad next to each other. Turn on the wifi of each and wave your index and middle finger over both and say "tether".
:LOL:

Last edited:
The official answer is no.

However, jailbreak your iPhone and the answer is yes. Use mywi I think it's called, and it works great as a wap. However, it will absolutely kill your battery.

:D:D Woot!! I can finally get an ipad after winning a local Apple dealer's photography competition! I can stop drooling at last! :love:

The official answer is no.

However, jailbreak your iPhone and the answer is yes. Use mywi I think it's called, and it works great as a wap. However, it will absolutely kill your battery.

This is true. MyWi i costs about £5 if I remember. I use it all the time and plan on using it with an iPad but it does require a jailbreak. As far as battery goes I can normally plug the phone in somewhere, even if it is in my car.

I just want to show-off any say "yay". As I'm typing this via my iPad in my hotel room. An amazing little sexy thing, this bed-companion is :p

Wahey! Nice one Wail!

Had a suspicion it would not be long.... :naughty:

Wahey! Nice one Wail!

Had a suspicion it would not be long.... :naughty:

I've used PDAs, Tablets, pen input, even voice input; they were all rough and crude. This iPad just seems seamless in operation. Not an Apple fan-boy (well maybe I am :p), but they've sure pulled this supped-up iPod Touch rather well (y)

Tomorrow I go shopping for some more accessories :D

Sweet. Let me know what you find.

I am deliberating - iPhone 4 or not? Hmmmmm....

Sweet. Let me know what you find.

I am deliberating - iPhone 4 or not? Hmmmmm....

Have you held one? I saw one this evening. Wow, that thing is gorgeous!

And for all the detractors, I tried and tried to 'hold it wrong' but I couldn't get the reception to dip at all. So either it's only happening on some phones, or some people have lead hands! ;)

Not even help one yet. But dang they look sexy - and I truly would love to move away from the plastic of the 3Gs!

Ok. I have decided. I want.

Do it mate. Had mine since 8.20am on Thursday. Loving it the 3Gs is a distant memory, we have moved on so much. The thing is super slick, super fast, and a pleasure to use. Also have had no issues with reception.

Cheers Will.
Found out that on a business sharer tariff (o2) it is only £170... and they will give me £228 for my 3gs!

Ties me in to 2 year contract.

Snot bad!

COME ON GET SOME STOCK o2!

You know it has to be done mate, lol. I see they are selling for silly money on eBay. I was tempted to sell mine, but just cant do it, it is far too good, is it wrong to feel attached to a phone? lol

Cheers Will.
Found out that on a business sharer tariff (o2) it is only £170... and they will give me £228 for my 3gs!

Ties me in to 2 year contract.

Snot bad!

COME ON GET SOME STOCK o2!

You'll get more than that on eBay mate, if you don't mind the hassle.

Last year I sold a 16Gb 3G for £330 and 2 x 8Gb 3G for £300 each! :)

Hmmm yep am tempted - trouble is that they are work phones and it makes it easier for accounting purposes so I am told. I cant find anyone with stock though. Apparently some stores will be getting deliveries this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

I actually consider it a plus that my 12 months isn't up until July 18th, otherwise I'd be going crazy trying to source one! :)

:LOL: Next update is due at 1200... fingers crossed for one locally! (y)

Stock update from o2 as to where I can get my mitts on an iphone 4.

No luck though...

Returning to the iPad if I may........

I did say earlier that £429 was too expensive but I finally gave in to myself last week and put my name down for one on Friday. Email comes through this morning and it's ready to collect which I duly squeezed in at lunchtime.

What a truly fantastic little device it is. I'd played with one a couple of times in the Apple store before but using it 'in real life' is something else. Puts my poor little iPod touch to shame - going to be tricky to keep using that out and about from now on methinks!

Most impressed by the sheer speed and smoothness of everything. From grabbing emails to coming on TP it's so simple and I don't need to sit at a desk anymore - hurrah!

Still waiting for my local Apple dealer to get some stock in so I can pick up my prize!!! :bang:

Well I took the plunge today, and after I said I would wait a few months :naughty: now using it to type this, and so far loving it :D

Back