iPhone 4 - UPDATE: Signal Issues

Poss 6 months, then this time next year new IPhone, then new HTC, Then new Iphone, and so the world goes round.

Well yes, it's taken the competition a few years to catch up with initial launch of the iPhone...that advantage has gone now though. HTC already have the EVO out in the US, which is technically superior to this new iPhone. Of course RIM are still market leaders in the smartphone market!

Well yes, it's taken the competition a few years to catch up with initial launch of the iPhone...that advantage has gone now though. HTC already have the EVO out in the US, which is technically superior to this new iPhone. Of course RIM are still market leaders in the smartphone market!

not forever though, looking at the growth lately looks like android and iphone are gaining ground

Yeah they are catching up....I suspect RIM will ultimately lose out to Android and iPhone, once their enterprise software matures.

How is this superior? Not seen it so just wondered why it is in your opinion is superior?

The Evo is a 4G device so is superior in that way, but as Sprint (who have the 4G netowork) dont carry the iphone its not really a loss that apple dont support it as the phone will never log onto it.

the evo has a memory card slot ?

its bigger?

clutching at straws here, the rest is a close run battle really, iphone better screen, camers and video modes about the same (but the camer uses the same hardware as the previous generations but has new software to get a higher "megapixel" read into that what you may it will still take a good snap.

really *** the iphone and the competition are often chalk and cheese so hard to really compare, and as long as both sides are fighting it out us consumers win :)

I have a feeling it will be the same.

if it is the £400+ people are asking for the 32gb 3gs secondhand will take a nosedive.

I've even seen ads for the 3Gs where they want to sell it now but not post until the 24th :LOL:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh STOPPPPPPPPPP lol

Got the same email, dead happy, selling my 3Gs will MORE THAN cover the early upgrade cost.

Happy Days

But what O2 don't tell you is -

the cost of the phone

the tariff you need to be on

the contract length

So lets assume, it's £45 per month, on 2 years and the phone is £150 which seems to be the conservative guestimates doing the rounds.....that's £1,230 over 2 years plus any over contract charges, and your upgrade early charges! :bonk:

18 or 24 month - Same as last time.

Starts at £30 / month - Same as I am on at the mo with unlimited data.

So perfectly happy with that.

Upgrade details do look good....even with 12 months left on my contract it'll only cost me £50 or so by the time I've sold my 3G.

Was going to go for a HTC Desire when my contract ran out but if I can upgrade now for a few quid.......

I can't even fathom why any of you would want to tie yourselves into an 18 month contract though, let alone 24 months. You'd be better of buying one on a credit card with 0% interest and paying a chunk off per month.

Way I see it, I have a contract already, happy with what I get for £30 a month, so have no issues is swapping to a new one.

Guess it is down to each person how they like to do these.

Seen iPhone 4 on eBay for £900 + now that is MAD

Way I see it, I have a contract already, happy with what I get for £30 a month, so have no issues is swapping to a new one.

Guess it is down to each person how they like to do these.

Seen iPhone 4 on eBay for £900 + now that is MAD

even though you are tied to it for at least 18 months? Thats more than the lease on my car! It's a phone! lol

lol, but I get exactly what I want, unlimited 3G usage, 600 mins phone, 1000 texts, fits in perfect for what I want. It gets hammered everyday, and I use pretty much everything I can on it.

Given the current O2 iPhone SIM only plan being £15/month and a PAYG iPhone 3GS 32Gb being £550, over 18 months that'd cost £820

Using an 18 month £30/month Pay Monthly tarrif and the same phone then costing £280 that'd cost £820.

Anyway, sticking it on a credit card is still tying you into a contract in a sense, but it's with the CC company for repayment of the money rather than the mobile operator.

I do love all the example trying to show how much of a rip off it is by tallying up all the monthly line rental fees, totally missing the point that you'd probably be paying these regardless of which phone you chose.

EDIT - I'm assuming the iPhone 4 will be a similar price on PAYG and Pay monthly as the £GS is at the moment.

Last edited:
End of the day, some people will be happy to pay it, some will not, those who are not, will not sign the dotted line simples, lol

I for one will be 1st on the phone on 24th to renew and rock on. Happy Days

Given the current O2 iPhone SIM only plan being £15/month and a PAYG iPhone 3GS 32Gb being £550, over 18 months that'd cost £820

Using an 18 month £30/month Pay Monthly tarrif and the same phone then costing £280 that'd cost £820.

Anyway, sticking it on a credit card is still tying you into a contract in a sense, but it's with the CC company for repayment of the money rather than the mobile operator.

I do love all the example trying to show how much of a rip off it is by tallying up all the monthly line rental fees, totally missing the point that you'd probably be paying these regardless of which phone you chose.

EDIT - I'm assuming the iPhone 4 will be a similar price on PAYG and Pay monthly as the £GS is at the moment.

the 3gs is £499 isn't it?

What you've just shown is exactly it, it costs you the same amount of money AND you don't have to be tied into an 18 month contract. So why would you want to be tied into an 18 month contract? Especially when on P&G you might not use the phone as much one month and you can measure your expenses a little better, if you lose your job or something you can just use the phone less and it costs you less, plus you can sell it at any time you want or stop using it.

It's not a contract on the credit card at all, you can pay off as much as you like whenever you like, there's no get out early fee like with the contract.

£360 for me to upgrade !!!!

Add on to that the price of the phone !!!!

So about £500 minimum.........

O2 will give me £240 for my old phone! I have a 16Gb 3Gs model that is only 4-5 months old and been in a case so it is like new, I haven't even used the head phones etc...

Therefore it would be £360-240 = £120 + new phone cost ...... Maybe I could find a buyer who would pay more :cautious:

OR Ebay at about £320

So £360-320 = £40 + new phone cost ...... Now that is a bit better.

Last edited:
O2 will give me £240 for my old phone! I have a 16Gb 3Gs model that is only 4-5 months old and been in a case so it is like new, I haven't even used the head phones etc...

Therefore it would be £360-240 = £120 + new phone cost ...... Maybe I could find a buyer who would pay more :cautious:

Is that using the "£20/month for every remaining month of your contract" special offer?

16Gb 3Gs are going about £300 on the bay. Even with fees you still make a bit more than going back to O2 depending on if you want to risk it.

Is that using the "£20/month for every remaining month of your contract" special offer?

Yes, sounds like it. If I wait till 8th July it should be £340 rather than £360. I am sure that someone will easily pay £320 for it so I might well go for it.

16Gb 3Gs are going about £300 on the bay. Even with fees you still make a bit more than going back to O2 depending on if you want to risk it.

I would probably try and sell it on here first so no fees. If I get the same for it the buyer benefits as they know it is as described etc too BUT they are selling for £340+ there

Ahh, I'd completely forgotten that iPhones hold their value quite well!

In that situation, it might be better flogging the 3GS and adding to the proceeds to buy the new one PAYG. Would save you signing another (2 year?) contract.

Yes, but think how many are going to go onto the bay in the next couple of weeks. SO price will come down a wee bit. I am expecting around £300 for mine. My upgrade cost is just under £200 ***, so quids in :)

Ahh, I'd completely forgotten that iPhones hold their value quite well!

In that situation, it might be better flogging the 3GS and adding to the proceeds to buy the new one PAYG. Would save you signing another (2 year?) contract.

I wonder what the PAYG price is going to be?

Yes it would make sense to do that if I could then next year when the iPhone 5 comes out I will only be 6 months off the end of my contract and able to get one cheap :) :cautious:

What you've just shown is exactly it, it costs you the same amount of money AND you don't have to be tied into an 18 month contract. So why would you want to be tied into an 18 month contract? Especially when on P&G you might not use the phone as much one month and you can measure your expenses a little better, if you lose your job or something you can just use the phone less and it costs you less, plus you can sell it at any time you want or stop using it.

It's not a contract on the credit card at all, you can pay off as much as you like whenever you like, there's no get out early fee like with the contract.

£549 according to the O2 site today.

I'm not debating the merits of contract vs PAYG, that comes down to the individuals situation. I was merely pointing our that there's not *that* much difference in price (obviously the difference vaires with model/tarrif/monthly top-up).

This will also depend on whether the user's got any existing contract to pay off.

Oh and option 3.....

Pay £100 to get Mrs_C out of her contract and upgrade her phone which I get. Hand her my iPhone, £100 spending money and a new case (y)

I wonder what the PAYG price is going to be?

Yes it would make sense to do that if I could then next year when the iPhone 5 comes out I will only be 6 months off the end of my contract and able to get one cheap :) :cautious:

I think the AT&T prices they revealed at WWDC were about the same as the current 3GS prices. So I'd expect them to be about the same, fingers crossed.

I think I'm gonna go a similar route: Flog the 3G, buy the new one PAYG and drop onto the SIM only iPhone tarrif to save myself £20/month. Luckily, my contraqct is up so no buyout fees.

That might be a gamble though, depending how 2nd hand prices fare once everyone starts dumping their existing handsets on the bay.

Oh and option 3.....

Pay £100 to get Mrs_C out of her contract and upgrade her phone which I get. Hand her my iPhone, £100 spending money and a new case (y)

I tried that with my O/H when the 3G came out as I still has 6months to go before I could upgrade.
She promptly went and got herself an iPhone just to teach me a lesson for even suggesting it :bonk:
She's nice like that :love:

I have a 3G 8 gig and it does everything I want it to do. Can't see the point of spending a fortune upgrading.

Although i admit its different with iphones to an extent (paying extra over a similarly priced phone)with a decent contract you can usually get the entire phone and contract for the price of the phone sim free/payg. With your payg deal does it cost you less than £100 over 18 months? My last contract cost me £50 all in for 18 months of 600 texts and calls and internet after yhr £500 cost of the phone was removed.

OR Ebay at about £320

So £360-320 = £40 + new phone cost ...... Now that is a bit better.

But its not though
, if you didnt have to pay the extra you'd be able to take the cost of the phone off of the contract cost.;)

Justify it in your mind if you want but that doesnt mean its right. :p

£549 according to the O2 site today.

I'm not debating the merits of contract vs PAYG, that comes down to the individuals situation. I was merely pointing our that there's not *that* much difference in price (obviously the difference vaires with model/tarrif/monthly top-up).

This will also depend on whether the user's got any existing contract to pay off.

£499 on the apple site

Back