iPhone 5 Day Came and Went

What features were you hoping for?

Joe I'll be honest in saying I wasn't "expecting" anything other than apple to blow us away with something - but they didn't. THe iPhone is no longer a game changer.

I'm happy with my S3 :)

Updated 13th September 8.05AM

Apple just confirmed the pricing of the 32GB and 64GB models of the iPhone 5 to us here in the UK

So the pricing for the three different models is as follows,

16GB iPhone 5 will be £529,
32GB iPhone 5 will be £599
64GB iPhone 5 will be £699.

At over £500 for a mobile phone - am I the only one that thinks that this is :wacky:

I'm not a big iPhone fan (have an SGSIII), but do really love itunes match and the quality of the camera module/software in the iPhone 4S and probably the 5.

Joe I'll be honest in saying I wasn't "expecting" anything other than apple to blow us away with something - but they didn't. THe iPhone is no longer a game changer.

I'm happy with my S3 :)

so there weren't any specific things you were expecting - how can you be underwhelmed when you had nothing to compare what you saw with what you were expecting?

Sphinx said:
Updated 13th September 8.05AM

Apple just confirmed the pricing of the 32GB and 64GB models of the iPhone 5 to us here in the UK

So the pricing for the three different models is as follows,

At over £500 for a mobile phone - am I the only one that thinks that this is :wacky:

It's what some people will pay to be contract free and have the latest handset.
The G SIII is/was a £500 phone if you want to buy it contract free.

Saying that though, the price for the 64gb version is a lot of cash and I could think of better things to spend £700 on.
There will be people that will pay it though no matter what the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a big iPhone fan (have an SGSIII), but do really love itunes match and the quality of the camera module/software in the iPhone 4S and probably the 5.

I gotta say, I think iTunes Match is one of the best things Apple have launched. I still think a lot of people don't even know about it though.

Not much change there

The 16GB iPhone 4S was £499.

The Galaxy SIII was £500 at launch.

I'm just telling you what apple are using the internet for in the turn by turn features thats all - siri voice and map download. I'm not saying it's right or that you have to use the voice. I'm just stating the facts

£700 for a phone, the world's gone bloody bonkers. It's not that much of an upgrade either ;-)

so there weren't any specific things you were expecting - how can you be underwhelmed when you had nothing to compare what you saw with what you were expecting?

:)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I thought Apple would do their usual and provide another game changer although I didn't really know what to expect. But they didn't really do anything that we didn't already know.

Just underwhelmed that's all. Im glad I didn't hang off as the S3 is every bit as good and better than the current iphones.

If I was going to consider another brand, I'd seriously look at the Nokia Lumia 920.

PMK said:
Not so sure about that :thinking:

If you read criticisms of the iPhone, one of the constant moans is lack of expandable memory. The lack of microSD is often cited as a major disadvantage. But who needs one when you have access to ALL your media (not just what you choose to save to portable memory) if you use iTunes Match. I just think a lot of people don't know that.

If you read criticisms of the iPhone, one of the constant moans is lack of expandable memory. The lack of microSD is often cited as a major disadvantage. But who needs one when you have access to ALL your media (not just what you choose to save to portable memory) if you use iTunes Match. I just think a lot of people don't know that.

Think people know about the cloud services, though? One thing they might not be so happy about is the extra cost. £20 a year or something for Match. it's not much, but it's still an extra cost.

PMK said:
With 4G being launched in September (t-Mobile and Orange only) I do wonder what Vodafone and O2 customers will do. Change network? Not bothered by 4G?

It's certainly of interest to me but I'm also incredibly happy with the service i've had from Three and would be very reluctant to leave them.

Having paid off my original iPhone 4 contract and now paying just £12 a month on 1 month rolling deal I think I'll wait until the 5s at least unless I suddenly start rolling in money (I wish!).

£600 for a phone (I can easily fill my current 32GB one if I put more of my music on there) is ludicrous money to me to spend on a phone that will last me 2-3 years.

:)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I thought Apple would do their usual and provide another game changer.

the first iPhone was the game changer and always will be. Every update since and every smartphone from other competitors has not been a game changer. They've just been improvements.

This was no different.

You mustn't have really expected a game changer or you would have held out for it surely?

Last edited:
I have an iPhone 4 and it was my first iPhone (previously a Sony Ericsson man) I love the phone, it does pretty much everything I want from a smart phone.
One of my friends is a Samsung lover and bangs on about the s3 all the time how it is better than the iPhone, but I have looked at it and played with it and I still prefer the iPhone, I think it is just a case of personal preference as they both do pretty much the same stuff.

That said I am due an upgrade and am eagerly awaiting the iPhone 5, I'm on Vodafone so bit of a bummer but I won't switch networks because of it, more than happy with the service I get from Vodafone.

I'd be happy to own a galaxy s3. If it didn't have android on it and had ios instead. Software wise the iPhone will always be a cut above.

Flash In The Pan said:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4">YouTube Link</a>

:LOL:

That link is fantastic although have to be a pleb when the phone is the same as the one you've been carrying :)

Don't see an issue with it's price
I have heard of people paying 5k for a camera what's all that about lol

A2pmqEMCAAAgxhH.jpg:large

Ahh, the cloud. Perfect... if you have an internet connection... Unfortunately long bridges, the tube, the countryside and many areas in towns don't have it... I stream lots of music at the moment with Zune but only do so at certain points, for example the first 20 minutes of my commute (the walking to the train station), the rest I rely on music stored on my phone. The cloud is all very well but only works some of the time, it's a lot better if you are static however.

On the other hand anything over around 16GB will get most of my music on, I'd be unlikely to fill up 32GB for a very long time so expandable storage for me is moot.

I'd be happy to own a galaxy s3. If it didn't have android on it and had ios instead. Software wise the iPhone will always be a cut above.

I'd be happy to own an iPhone 5, if it didn't have iOS and had something else instead. A boring wall of icons and a design that hasn't changed in 5 years (and borrowed massively off the old UI's of SE and Samsung phones from years previously (the grid of icons).:LOL:

Ahh, the cloud. Perfect... if you have an internet connection... Unfortunately long bridges, the tube, the countryside and many areas in towns don't have it...

Which is where the 32GB of onboard memory comes in handy.

Ahh, the cloud. Perfect... if you have an internet connection...

exactly. Apple's assumption of internet connection everywhere is just not common sense

A well designed wall of icons and a superb design that hasn't changed in 5 years because hey ... if it aint broke, don't fix it

corrected that for you (y) :D

A boring wall of icons and a design that hasn't changed in 5 years (and borrowed massively off the old UI's of SE and Samsung phones from years previously (the grid of icons).:LOL:

agreed, apple should have a look at android "home" screens and create something similar. I miss the flexibility of having widgets, folders and icons, lets you "build" a far nicer experience.

Has nobody mentioned the iPhone 5 has a "Backside illumination sensor"??? This will come in very handy. I do hate when I see a poorly lit bottom.

agreed, apple should have a look at android "home" screens and create something similar. I miss the flexibility of having widgets, folders and icons, lets you "build" a far nicer experience.

You can made folders.

I do prefer the "cleaner" look of iOS and like what they've done with the limited range of widgets; assigned them to the notification pull-down.

Back