iPhone 5S/C and iOS7

Won't buy Samsung after my mates experience with his Note 2. Saw him drop it less than a foot onto a wood floor and the screen smashed. The lacquer on the back has all rubbed off and it looks dreadful.

My Lumia 920 is a beast, the polycarbonate body is flexible so it absorbs impacts, has been dropped onto concrete many times, down some concrete steps once! Slight ding in one corner from a particularly bad fall, but otherwise perfect. I don't look after my phones, never use cases. It's not exactly svelte though :)

Gotta love proprietary connectors ;)

I always buy Lightning connectors in 3s. Always lose them etc. Also annoying as I have an iPod classic, iPad 3 and a 5s so have to have both cables with me.

I bought a microUSB-lightning adapter that is kept in my wallet. There's always a microUSB cable available, even the pound shops sell them ;).

Well I was impressed with apples cs. Walked in the store, by Christmas was stuff flying out the door, with in 10 minutes was walking out with a replacement phone and £160 lighter, so wasn't too upset.

Well I was impressed with apples cs. Walked in the store, by Christmas was stuff flying out the door, with in 10 minutes was walking out with a replacement phone and £160 lighter, so wasn't too upset.

I can't compete with Apple but I can offer to make you £160 lighter anytime you want (y)

What will 7.1 be bringing us? My iPad is still on 7.0.0 - because frankly I've had no problems keeping it like that. iPhone 4 is on the latest (I think) and if I remember rightly the .3 release which allowed you to switch off animations did wonders for it in terms of speed.

I had the update too, at 35mb over the air I was hoping it might fix a few other things too, but sadly my 5s is still crap at finding and holding a 3G signal on O2. Looks like I'm going to have to move to Shanghai

My iPhone 4 performance was ruined by iOS7 :( but as its only my work phone its all good. Use a Nexus 5 for personal use and love it :)

iOS 7 ruined my iPhone 4 performance and it only got marginally better after the .3 update. Mind you, iOS 6 created quite a bit of lag as well. I remember before I updated a 3Gs to iOS 6 I could hit the home screen and then come back to the app hours later and start where I left off. On iOS 6 and above you only had to leave an app for half a minute or so for it to want to "relaunch" when you opened it, which means I've probably lost many cumulative minutes staring at facebook's loading screen for upwards of 30 seconds... it's just woeful. The extra features such as flashlight are useful but not exactly groundbreaking. It is what it is I suppose... but now the shine wore off part of me wishes I hadn't upgraded at least the iPhone. The iPad hasn't been too badly hit.

Hope it stops my blue screen issues on the 5s, just applied the full update via tunes on that. 1.44gb as opposed to 268mb through the handset. Just about to do the iPad now

Location icon seems to be stuck on. Either it's permanently wondering where it is or its just left the arrow on.

Location icon seems to be stuck on. Either it's permanently wondering where it is or its just left the arrow on.

Not happening on mine, you don't have an app that uses GPS running in the background do you?

You could try manually turning it on/off or do a restore through iTunes if it persists.

Last edited:
Not happening on mine, you don't have an app that uses GPS running in the background do you?

You could try manually turning it on/off or do a restore through iTunes if it persists.

Nope. No apps left running. I turned location services off and on again.

Arrow only goes away when location services are turned off. Otherwise it's on. I think a restore via itunes will probably cause more trouble than ignoring it...

It was mynd... which wasn't even running! Denied it location services then the arrow went off.

Last edited:
yeah some apps will get location data in the background even when not running.

It seems to be a change as I have never noticed the permanent arrow scenario until after the update. Previously it would stick on a bit when unlocking the phone when on wifi but didn't seem to when out of wifi coverage.

Hate that Bluetooth turning on after every OS update!

Public release. I've updated my 5S. Enhanced performance promised for iPhone 4 owners.

As an iPhone 4 owner who was ready to throw it out the window the last few months I'm very pleased at how snappy it is after the .1 update. The animations are much smoother, scrolling now feels like it should and not like a cheap Android device and apps don't want to relaunch every 5 minutes because they leaked themselves out of memory and crashed.

The keyboard is just wrong though. The shift button turning WHITE when toggled is downright ass backwards, as white is the default colour of the rest of the keys. It should turn a dark grey or maybe blue when toggled, IMO. I do suspect they may actually change that.

i dont mind now, i use it for hands free. it really doesnt seem to affect battery life (when not in use).
I might risk leaving mine on then...
Same here. I also listen to music in the car via BT.

If the device uses Bluetooth 4 (most of the recent iPhones will) then just leave it on as BT4 is designed to use next to no power when in stand by. I do this with my iPad Mini so I don't have to faff when switching on the keyboard cover and it literally causes no battery drain in standby.

Last edited:
Back