Iris nebula and Ghost nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
The Iris Nebula (NGC7023) is a reflection nebula approximately 1300 light years away, located in the constellation of Cepheus. On the right hand of the image is VdB 141 (The ghost nebula) so called because of it's shape. This is also a reflection nebula and is about 1500 light years away.

This is a total of 25:40 hours of exposure time - all in 10 minute exposures.

This is very different from my normal astro photography - So would welcome any thoughts you may have.

NGC7023 and VdB 141 (Iris nebula and Ghost nebula) by Sara Wager, on Flickr

I shall have to add another WOW..............WOW (y)

That'll be another "WOW" from me as well :) Lovely work Sara.

Far beyond my comprehension as an image and how it is done.

But I am very glad that there are people like yourself who can achieve this level of work.

Thanks very much all for your comments - No witchcraft was involved :)

@Mark - The details are as follows

Mount: Avalon LInear Fast reverse
Telescope: Takahashi FSQ85
Camera: QSI690ws-g mono and Starlight Express Trius 25C Colour

I shot 100 x 10 minute frames from the colour camera and I used the QSI mono to collect the luminance data in 2 panes - Totalling 54 x 10 minutes exposures.

Thanks for the details, that is a whole new area of gear acquisition temptation :arghh:

As always, Sara, WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

As always, Sara, WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

And WOW again and again.................. Astro photographs blow me away. The technicalities of the photography blows me away. The science blows me away.
Iris nebula 1300 light years from Earth (travel at 186,000 miles per second for 1300 years to get there). Andromeda is 2 million light years from Earth ............. incomprehensible ! How are these distances measured.

I honestly have no idea how people produce such stunning images such as these. You'd be amazed if NASA of Hubble produced these never mind someone showing them here. Thanks you for sharing

Thanks all for your continued comments - I love astro photography, it's something totally different from the norm. Sadly my DSLR hasn't been out of the cupboard for over 3 years as I find it just so boring on comparison to the buzz of astro.

brilliant you must have the patience of a saint
is your camera mounted on a rotating thingy to stop you getting star streaks ?

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.

brilliant you must have the patience of a saint
is your camera mounted on a rotating thingy to stop you getting star streaks ?

It certainly is ......... A mount :) It all looks like this .... Well it used to! Changed a bit since then with a different camera, but the mount and scope have stayed the same.

View attachment 40972

I'll add another wow. I'm fairly new to the site and this is the first of your images that I have seen but have just spent a bit of time looking at your photos on flickr, such amazing pictures and I particularly like the individual nebula ones.

Do you live somewhere where there is very little light pollution or do you have to travel to take these shots (or is there another way). We have been talking about stars with our kids and last year went out to see the perseid meteor showers but because of the light pollution we could see very few stars, we're hoping to go somewhere less light polluted for our holidays and give them a chance to see a decent night sky.

Excellent image obtained by a skilled astrophotographer
James

Thanks James :)

I'll add another wow. I'm fairly new to the site and this is the first of your images that I have seen but have just spent a bit of time looking at your photos on flickr, such amazing pictures and I particularly like the individual nebula ones.

Do you live somewhere where there is very little light pollution or do you have to travel to take these shots (or is there another way). We have been talking about stars with our kids and last year went out to see the perseid meteor showers but because of the light pollution we could see very few stars, we're hoping to go somewhere less light polluted for our holidays and give them a chance to see a decent night sky.

I do suffer from light pollution to an extent - I live only 30 km's from Spains 3rd largest city - Valencia. My south view certainly suffers from an orange glow! I have an observatory in my garden that we built a couple of years ago, my kit is definitely not moving! If I took it apart, I'm not sure I could get it back together again properly! LOL!

I'm very jealous of that equipment Sara. Stuck with my 130P on a EQ2 mount, not that I'm complaining. Maybe one day I'll be able to do some proper imaging! :)

Whatever kit you have and use is good Jason!

That is some serious stuff...:)

On the right hand of the image is VdB 141 (The ghost nebula) so called because of it's shape.
And if you go full size, on flickr the blue image to the left,
is a cat peering out of a cloud .
(Two pussy cat eyes and part of the nose are clearly visible)
I thought you'd be pleased
:D

Another cracking image Sara (y)

That is some serious stuff...:)

And if you go full size, on flickr the blue image to the left,
is a cat peering out of a cloud .
(Two pussy cat eyes and part of the nose are clearly visible)
I thought you'd be pleased
:D

Another cracking image Sara (y)

Thanks all for your comments..... Much appreciated.

Thanks too Chris for the glimpse into your inner psyche!!!

Thanks for sharing Sara, Im never disappointed clicking into one of your threads the image are always top notch.

Back