Is A J Purdy in trouble?

Mark my words.. you'll all be running off and phoning "Watchdog" in a weeks time...

Hope you get it... but this thread is going to be a train wreck in a week from now.. :(

I thought AJ Purdy were a well known reputable firm who advertise each week in most of the camera mags. Why on earth would they consider wrecking their reputation?

Why don't you all wait until Monday and get the 15% VAT? :thinking:

Because unless you are spending a couple of grand it isn't going to make much difference. On what I've ordered it would be under a tenner, against the stock (if there is any :LOL:) being sold out.

Mark my words.. you'll all be running off and phoning "Watchdog" in a weeks time...

Hope you get it... but this thread is going to be a train wreck in a week from now.. :(

That's what credit cards are for. If the goods don't turn up then the credit card company can freeze the payment. If they (AJ Purdy) are actually going bust and it's a scam then the cc company are the ones who will bear the loss, so where do you see the problem, PD?

This looks like a last ditch attempt at raising cash to me, it's the only reason that they could possibly have for wanting to sell so much, so quickly, so cheaply and for so little profit if any. If their cash flow has this bigger problem it says that their bankers won't lend any more to them, the rest you can work out yourselves.

Chances are the sales will go through as they gapple for the cash and they will have factored in the time it takes for the credit card company to transfer the money to them in doing this so their is some time left for them, but it won't last long !

Last edited:
Purdy's are a highly reputable firm who've been going for years. I've bought stuff off them in the past. There was a problem with the 20D they sold me and they exchanged it promptly without any quibble.

I'm not saying don't exercise caution on this offer, but I don't think you need have any worries that they're anything other than genuine. If they are going under then it's a damned shame.

Last edited:
Cynic! :) Fill your glass, it must be half-empty tonight ;)

BTW - Don't you buy anything from Woolies now.

What is there in Woolies worth buying nowadays anyway?

The only reason to go in there is to wait until those big round security cameras are watching you and then fill your pockets with pic n mix. Then when they turn away you put all the sweeties back before the security guard gets there :LOL:

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens @ £885.
I'll give them a call in the morning to make sure one's coming to me.
*everything crossed*
Alex

so where do you see the problem, PD?

Defiance sums it up just above.

Upshot is you are given them a free loan, then if they go under you'll be at the back of the queue with the Administrators. Yes, a CC will cover you, but this will take months, in the meantime you have debt on your card at the wrong time of the year.

If it looks too good to be true, it is. No one is going to get a £1k Nikon for 25% off. There web site doesn't indicate stock levels. No doubt loads of people are piling in right now.

Its pretty obvious no one will get anything.

That's a sweeping and scandalous statement PD, what is it based on? :thinking:

Try and order 1000 lenses and see if it lets you pay?

In-stock only, remember.

FFS people, wake up!

Nikon 12-24mmf4DX AF-ED AFS
Nikon 12-24mmf4DX AF-ED AFS lens

!26925 619,000.00
25% Off for orders over 0.00 -154,750.00

Sub Total 464,250.00
Select a postage method
Free delivery offer to UK Mainland only. For Northern Ireland, Scottish Islands and the Channel Islands additional carriage charge may be applied and will be advised prior to shipment.
Shipment 72,860.00
Select your preferred currency
Total 537,110.00

Last edited:
They have just moved to a new premises with 10x the space according to their website so why do they need a clearance ?? It looks to me like they planned to expand while the market was still good, in the interim the economy has started to crash, by the time they opened the new site the financial world has changed, and now they have an increased cost base and reduced sales due to the market and intensified competition from the likes of Jessops et al.

This screams fire-sale at me.

so where do you see the problem, PD?

Yes, a CC will cover you, but this will take months, in the meantime you have debt on your card at the wrong time of the year.

Not true, if you have disputed the charge the payment (and the debt) will be frozen by the credit card company.

Whilst it will still be noted on your credit card statement there will be no onus on you to service the debt until the matter is resolved - either the lens is delivered (and the money released to the seller) or your payment is refunded, in which case obviously no payment will be due.

I get the feeling that the really popular stuff like Nikon 17-55 and 70-200 lenses will be "sold out". Even if they had stock in the first place, I doubt they will have more than a handful of either of these lenses, but we shall see ;)

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the really popular stuff like Nikon 17-55 and 70-200 lenses will be "sold out".

Oh they will be... the fact is that as I demonstrated on post #50 there is no realtime stock control here.. you can order as many lenses as you like an get 25% off. Now, I don;t know how big their warehouse is, but I'll wager they don't have 1,000 Nikkor 12-24's on the shelves..

Happy to let me pay for them though ;)

They are just around the corner from me - if I can I'll pop by and see what's what tomorrow, if no one has made a comment already after calling them.

I've been in there recently, and they seemed to be mid way through building the new showroom, although I would have expected it to be finished at this point in time:shrug:

FFS people, wake up!

We shall see, Oh Wise one ;)

You are in danger of being accused of unwarranted cynicism.

You are posting these derogatory comments and I have asked you what they are based upon, please enlighten us, or is it just a 'gut-feeling'? Maybe AJP would like to know as well.

Most good Nikon glass is in demand so I concur with Puddleduck on this one.....they simply cannot have large volumes of stuff like 70-200 VR....

We shall see, Oh Wise one ;)

You are in danger of being accused of unwarranted cynicism.

You are posting these derogatory comments and I have asked you what they are based upon, please enlighten us, or is it just a 'gut-feeling'? Maybe AJP would like to know as well.

Chill out - he is only offering wise advice.

Well the proof will be in the pudding.

I've used the company before and they are fine. But you are deluded if you think they are going be handing out 25% off £1k lenses like confetti.

Its not a case of my being cynical, rather a case being realistic about the market prices.

No compay will sell below cost price unless they are in serious trouble.

Just recieved another SB600 off them with free postage & good discount ..

Chill out - he is only offering wise advice.

Oh no he's not, he's slagging off a reputable dealer who just happens to be offering a discount. Unless he can offer any coherent reasons for his slagging he should be ignored and very, very careful with his remarks. IMVHO :nono:

Oh no he's not, he's slagging off a reputable dealer who just happens to be offering a discount. Unless he can offer any coherent reasons for his slagging he should be ignored and very, very careful with his remarks. IMVHO :nono:

Not really is he. He has never said anything bad about the dealer just offering an opinion.

Do you have shares in them then...? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm just advisting caution. Its taking orders, with no indication of stock levels, but only offering 25% for "in stock" orders.

If it makes you feel better, ignore me.

Personally I do not believe anyone is going to get, say a 70-200 VR for 25% off when stock levels are very low, and no one has "spares" kicking about.

I have offered coherant reasons (did you try to order 1,000 lens?), but you've gone into ostrich mode and ignored them.

If they have it in stock (and we can only guess at stock levels), chances are they will sell it at that price to get the cash in.

Even the big chains, e.g. M&S or Debenhams, can only sustain this level of discounting for a few days and they have big and secure resources to draw upon. And even they only do it on certain items and vary the discounts by department. They do not do it indescriminatly across everything for an undetermined period regardless of the base margin variation.

Last edited:
A few years back a friend of mine paid £1500 in cash for a 3 piece suite from UNO, they were quite happy to take his money and quote him 6 weeks delivery, 10 days later they went bust and kept his money.

He didn't receive a penny of it back, I'm not saying AJ Purdy are in trouble but it's common practice for Ltd companies to get as much money as possible in before going pop.

If they have it in stock (and we can only guess at stock levels), chances are they will sell it at that price to get the cash in.

Even the big chains, e.g. M&S or Debenhams, can only sustain this level of discounting for a few days and they have big and secure resources to draw upon. And even they only do it on certain items and vary the discounts by department. They do not do it indescriminatly across everything for an undetermined period regardless of the base margin variation.

I think that what PD is saying is that the sums do not add up. 25% off a 70-200 VR for example is below Nikon UK's retails price to trade and as such they will hemorrhage cash/margin/profit like this, hence his concern.

.....I have offered coherant reasons (did you try to order 1,000 lens?), but you've gone into ostrich mode and ignored them.

Sorry, but I have not seen any coherent reasons for slagging-off AJP in any of your posts. Who, in their right minds, would try and order 1,000 lenses, apart from a reputable dealer? Only an idiot, IMO.

What are your experiences with AJP that make you so negativbe? If this was Jacobs, Jessies, Park Cameras, Kerso, MPB, etc., would you still slag them off with no practical experiences?

For the last time, please state your practical reasons for picking on AJP.

Just had a look at Purdy's Ebay outlet

Canon LP-E4 £59 ,,,,,, WHE £99
EF100/2 £230 ,,,,,, WHE £280
EF20/2.8 £230 ,,,,,, WHE £300
EF28-200 £200 ,,,,,, WHE £251

All brand new UK items with free delivery. :shrug:

Bob

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have not seen any coherent reasons for slagging-off AJP in any of your posts. Who, in their right minds, would try and order 1,000 lenses, apart from a reputable dealer? Only an idiot, IMO.

What are your experiences with AJP that make you so negativbe? If this was Jacobs, Jessies, Park Cameras, Kerso, MPB, etc., would you still slag them off with no practical experiences?

For the last time, please state your practical reasons for picking on AJP.

Actually I got my D300 from them. They were fine.

the last time, please state your practical reasons for picking on AJP.

Ummm.. because they are the only retailer offering 25% discount at well below cost price... doesn't add up. No real time stock control. Discount for in-stock items only.

I've not slagged them off, but you've gone into "nutter" mode, and I can't help that I'm afraid.

A few years back a friend of mine paid £1500 in cash for a 3 piece suite from UNO, they were quite happy to take his money and quote him 6 weeks delivery, 10 days later they went bust and kept his money.

That's one of the oldest tricks in the book - I've seen places taking cash orders for suites right up until they close the doors for the final time. It's reliant on the same thing as every other good con, the gulliblity of the public. If people think they are getting a bargain that is too good to miss then common sense can go out the window.

Common sense in this (and every other similar) case is to pay in a way that guarantees your money if things go wrong, which is why you pay by credit card, not by BT, or sending an envelope full of cash.

That's one of the oldest tricks in the book - I've seen places taking cash orders for suites right up until they close the doors for the final time.

He was one of those rare peoplewho doesn't believe in credit, "you should save up and pay for things"

He wasn't getting a good deal in a sale it was just the way he did things, he's learned his lesson now though, once bitten and all that.

Actually I got my D300 from them. They were fine.
Good to know.

Ummm.. because they are the only retailer offering 25% discount at well below cost price... doesn't add up. No real time stock control. Discount for in-stock items only.
So, does that make them bad all of a sudden? How do you know their cost price? How can you know their stock levels, do you work for them? I have no interest in them apart from being a satisfied customer; which you seem to be too, from the purchase of your D300.

I've not slagged them off
Oh yes you have, you have been trying to put potential purchasers off from buying from them without any good reason.

.. but you've gone into "nutter" mode, and I can't help that I'm afraid.

Psychiatrist are you? Another statement without any reasonable foundation.

I don't consider myself a nutter :nuts:

He was one of those rare peoplewho doesn't believe in credit, "you should save up and pay for things"

As am I, but I still use a credit card to buy anything I can't physically pick up and carry away with me, then I pay the bill immediately when it drops through the letterbox. That way you have the best of both worlds.

As am I, but I still use a credit card to buy anything I can't physically pick up and carry away with me, then I pay the bill immediately when it drops through the letterbox. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Agreed. I always use my CC online. And make sure its a Credit Card, not a Debit Card.

Debit cards do offer some protection nowadays, but Credit Cards do you full protection.

As to the question "Is A J Purdy in trouble?" well I don't know - but common sense says make sure you pay with a CC just in case.

£2500 saving on a 400 2.8 and a 200-400 F4 is mighty tempting...............:LOL:

As to the question "Is A J Purdy in trouble?" well I don't know...

She could be pregnant....

:coat:

Back