Is A J Purdy in trouble?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Have you seen the A J Purdy web site recently?

CLEARANCE SALE NOW ON - 25% OFF EVERYTHING IN STOCK
EXCLUDING DIGITAL SLR & FREE UK DELIVERY!

I tried to take advantage of this today. But ...
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1x-5x macro ... out of stock
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM ... out of stock
Nikon AF-S DX 10.5mm f/2.8 G fisheye ... out of stock
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D ... out of stock

Hmmm. Anybody know what's going on?

Credit Crunch??

It has seemed a bit strange over the last few days. Three days ago (ish) it was 3%, then 15% and now 25%. Kinda weird that they're increasing their discount pretty much everyday.

How legitimate are they? I am very curious as they seem to have outstanding prices thanks to this discount they are offering ... should I be buying from them?

Shall I pop by and see if there is anything on their window about moving or closing down etc... if it helps anybody?

Janice,

That's a sweet offer. Thank you. I would love to know, what's up with them and why they're doing this. More so, as I am about to buy a couple of lenses; but I don't want you to go out of your way ... thanks.

I picked up an unusually cheap 300/2.8 IS from them a couple of weeks ago...their demonstrator by all accounts.

Bob

The industry wide price increases go up as of 1st Dec so I expect that they are clearing old stock. Also a preemptive move in relation to VAT adjustments that most retailers are putting in place for next Monday ?????

The industry wide price increases go up as of 1st Dec so I expect that they are clearing old stock

That makes no sense to me at all...

Why would you expect folks to REDUCE prices, when they are supposed to be going up?

The VAT cut is 2.5% not 25%..

I've just been checking their range of lens for Nikon fit.

Somehow they have huge discounts on everything, but their Sigma lenses are hugely marked-up! So much so, that even with the 25% discount they are hardly competitive!

But their Nikon lenses are dirt cheap! I wonder how long this will go for, and how much stock they have?

The industry wide price increases go up as of 1st Dec so I expect that they are clearing old stock

That makes no sense to me at all...

Why would you expect folks to REDUCE prices, when they are supposed to be going up?

The VAT cut is 2.5% not 25%..

Well, it is all about retrospective discounts and the like of which no other industry is the same. So I can only think it is something to do with this......the reality of the VAT thing is about £2.12 saving in a £100.00 spent. People are expecting massive savings but when you work out say a £250.00 compact, it is about £4.50 you would have spent though I can appreciate that this may be a fortune to some, not to others.

I cant see it saving the economy.....but fire sales will help business surely ?

Have you seen the A J Purdy web site recently?

CLEARANCE SALE NOW ON - 25% OFF EVERYTHING IN STOCK
EXCLUDING DIGITAL SLR & FREE UK DELIVERY!

I tried to take advantage of this today. But ...
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1x-5x macro ... out of stock
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM ... out of stock
Nikon AF-S DX 10.5mm f/2.8 G fisheye ... out of stock
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D ... out of stock

Hmmm. Anybody know what's going on?

Do they let you know they are out of stock when you have ordered them?, it's letting me order some of those lenses now up to the point of putting my payment details in, it almost seems to good to be true

Juile

I cant see it saving the economy.....but fire sales will help business surely ?

I think this is just a way to get free advertising for the company.

I don't believe they will send anything out at 25% off. Some of the Nikkors are below trade prices.

I think this is just a way to get free advertising for the company.

I don't believe they will send anything out at 25% off. Some of the Nikkors are below trade prices.

maybe, but we all know that is illegal and one call to trading standards would give a right old time of it.

So, how good are they for doing business with? Are they the type that may be pulling one of those scams to get a lot of traffic and block credit cards, for whatever business advantage that may give them? Or, are they legit.?

This is too good to pass, there are at least 3 lenses that I've been eyeing and am too close to pull out my credit card.

Would love to hear from anything who's now bought from them.

maybe, but we all know that is illegal and one call to trading standards would give a right old time of it.

Its not illegal.

Its an "invitation to treat", no obligation to accept your offer to buy at 25% off...

So, how good are they for doing business with? Are they the type that may be pulling one of those scams to get a lot of traffic and block credit cards, for whatever business advantage that may give them? Or, are they legit.?

This is too good to pass, there are at least 3 lenses that I've been eyeing and am too close to pull out my credit card.

Would love to hear from anything who's now bought from them.

I would advise caution.

The offer is for "in stock item", the web site does not show stock levels.

Suppose 1000 people order 1000 Nikkor 70-200 VRs. The company will earn interest on over £1 million pounds for a few days, before refunding and saying "sorry, out of stock".

Not a chance.

Sorry.

How legitimate are they? I am very curious as they seem to have outstanding prices thanks to this discount they are offering ... should I be buying from them?

I have made a good few purchases over the years from AJP and they are highly recommended, as far as I am concerned anyway.

Thank you all, I've been trying to call them but it seems they are closed.. douh!

As much as it aches me, I will wait until first thing tomorrow morning to call them and see which of the lenses they have in stock, and see about ordering then.

£700 off the 300 f2.8 IS, very tempting, must resist, must resist!:bang:

£700 off the 300 f2.8 IS, very tempting, must resist, must resist!:bang:

Tell me about it! I haven't felt this kind of anxiety since my first date, last century!

Anyone else pulled the trigger?

Why don't you all wait until Monday and get the 15% VAT? :thinking:

Mark my words.. you'll all be running off and phoning "Watchdog" in a weeks time...

Hope you get it... but this thread is going to be a train wreck in a week from now.. :(

do it! Worst that can happen is it drops through you're letter box and you have to ebay a couple of desirable BNIB items (y)

But make your own mind up ;)

Last edited:
Mark my words.. you'll all be running off and phoning "Watchdog" in a weeks time...

Hope you get it... but this thread is going to be a train wreck in a week from now.. :(

Cynic! :) Fill your glass, it must be half-empty tonight ;)

BTW - Don't you buy anything from Woolies now.

Last edited:
Back