Is it just me? am I really turning into a G'O'S?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

if you have no replies mate why are you looking at the post have you forgotten what you posted..:LOL:

only kiddding (y)

md(y)

Purely for the ratings, Dave. Purely for the ratings :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But totally agree, it can be really off putting getting loads of "views" and no comments, or even going for a few days with no or very few comments.

i also agree which is why when this happens i get me arse out and post a reply myself asking if its that bad or that far off..

then you normally get some replys about the shot or your attitude..

md(y)

The views might well include spiders, and non guests who can view but not comment. I suppose.

But totally agree, it can be really off putting getting loads of "views" and no comments, or even going for a few days with no or very few comments.

I guess thats true, Keltic I hadn't thought about "spiders" "bots" etc
I also agree with MD, I have shamelessly on occasions posted something like "that was pretty crap then" on one of mine with no comments. it either envokes a positive response or if no response, I take it that I was actually right and it was crap :D

You know what? I feel like resurrecting this thread
Why! I hear you ask (or not)
Well I am going to tell you anyway.
A lot of what was written in the posts that have gone before still stands
and a few other things have come to light
1) Quite a lot of posters ask for help, ask a question or for critique never to respond to the answers
with a polite thanks (y) or even kiss my ass :eek: ( well OK one or two do say the latter :D, but at least its a response (y)
2) the OP only responds to "Ooo isn't that lovely or Coo super!
never to the constructive critique that was actually asked for.
3) Its no wonder that little cliques form as the posters reciprocate C&C within a group,
knowing that they are most likley to get a response from "A,B&C" and will invariably comment on A,B&C's posts

I am still a grumpy old sod and proud of it (y)

Mrs Galaxy calls me a GOG.......... grumpy old git:D

Just wanted to add my bit despite the fact that i dont think i was even a member when this thread was started! hehe....i agree with u cobra that u should possibly resurrect it, not specifically because original posters have not been responding to stuff but because i have noticed a lot quite recently that people just cannot take any criticism of their work at all!! suprisingly small things seem to offend some to the result that they remove their images, or just dont bother writing anything more or even threaten to leave!!! Surely people must realise that the majority of posters on here are not out to offend others?! i know i am most definitely not...it makes me sad that some people just get far too personal over something so trivial. hmmm. anyway, rant over! just thought i would add my 2p's worth! this has also reminded me to check anything i have posted to check that i responded to all comments!! if this has been a reminder to OP's to do that then that can only be a good thing :)

i must admit that sometimes i dont critique photos thoroughly unless i know the person well enough to know how they will react. So I guess that can look cliquey in some way.

if i'm in the right mood then i'll give some critique to someone new to to forum, but sometimes i just try to avoid the trouble that can come with critique.

the best example was on POTN when i mentioned to someone that they needed to increase the image quality on his jpegs (he had it set to 5). The guy went nuts. Took it completely personally and started bitching about how its OK for us guys with our expensive cameras.

So, people shouldnt think that TPF is cliquey.. its very far from it in my experience.

Also, if i see a photo that is just boring, but OK, i dont comment on it.
Sometimes i dont comment on photos because i dont think i can do better.

hi all can i just say that i know i have not been here long and not posted or replyed to some images thst is because i feel in myself .That i dont have the knowledge as some of you out there have and i appreciate all comments on my posts and would love to give c:c but dont feel experienced enough in photography but will try :wave:

hi all can i just say that i know i have not been here long and not posted or replyed to some images thst is because i feel in myself .That i dont have the knowledge as some of you out there have and i appreciate all comments on my posts and would love to give c:c but dont feel experienced enough in photography but will try :wave:

Just wanted to say that iv been in that position (still am most of the time!) and dont be scared to leave comments about anything. even if you dont have the technical knowledge im sure the original poster will appreciate any feedback at all on whether you like the photo or not, what you might have changed, how they have composed it etc so it is definitely worth saying you're bit! Be brave! :p:)(y)

......but because i have noticed a lot quite recently that people just cannot take any criticism of their work at all!! suprisingly small things seem to offend some to the result that they remove their images, or just dont bother writing anything more or even threaten to leave!!! Surely people must realise that the majority of posters on here are not out to offend others?! ........

yep thats a real shame
pictures are posted for critique and some seem to get offended when they receive it :shrug:
but it has been my experiance that its usually followed up with helpful advice,
except of course when the OP gets a little "precious" then they do tend to get ribbed a little :)

i must admit that sometimes i dont critique photos thoroughly unless i know the person well enough to know how they will react. So I guess that can look cliquey in some way.

if i'm in the right mood then i'll give some critique to someone new to to forum, but sometimes i just try to avoid the trouble that can come with critique.

the best example was on POTN when i mentioned to someone that they needed to increase the image quality on his jpegs (he had it set to 5). The guy went nuts. Took it completely personally and started bitching about how its OK for us guys with our expensive cameras.

So, people shouldnt think that TPF is cliquey.. its very far from it in my experience.

Also, if i see a photo that is just boring, but OK, i dont comment on it.
Sometimes i dont comment on photos because i dont think i can do better.

All very valid points Gary, I am not saying that TP is cliquey but meant it more along the lines as you mention above.
I will comment on pictures that I like or dislike ( for whatever reason) whether I know the person or not though.
If I ask for C&C I would hope that I would get it, good or bad, thats the only way to learn, I ( mentioned previously) have posted something I thought was the dogs testicles but have been proved wrong on more than one occasion, this helps me improve, if I get praise for a technically incorrect image, that doesn't help me at all.

Thats fair enough,Andy as your confidence and experiance grows I am sure you will feel more inclined to comment.
My main beef is with those who receive C&C and don't respond to the (mostly) helpful advice given by others, or who "sulk" and remove their images.
Just a "thanks thats great " will suffice" or even "I don't agree with that because" ...........
but a total blank makes me less inclined to "comment" the next time ( to anyone) I am sure I am not alone in that and it can only be bad for those that want to learn

Interesting read. Ive also been put off a bit posting pics because of what seems a lack of interest (i.e loads of views but a very small amount of comments). Im fairly new to DSLR photography so welcome help and constructive critisism. Its easy for people to post great pictures, its easy to comment "wow well done". Its also easy for people to comment on pictures that have obvious faults - however a great stack of pictures will fall squarely in the middle and I think thats the "problem" - no-one wants to say its brilliant because it aint, but its also not bad enough either to warrant dissecting!! Hope that makes sense!

I know Im guilty of this - I'll wade through 20 or so new picture posts, ho hum another swan / water droplet / church / model portrait - whatever, and unless the picture really "speaks" to me Im unlikely to post a comment - so Im guilty of exactly what I get annoyed about myself - catch 22!

I did come up with a kind of a solution to this, and its only a rough idea, but I thought maybe the mods could PM 20 members a fortnight /month or something and ask them to be official forum critics for 2/4 weeks. Just a template message asking for people to maybe crit as many picture posts as possible for a set time period?? I dont know if this feasible, but it might boost the still rather poor comment ratio and get members more involved?? Even if only 25% bothered, it would still help? Being asked "officially" by the mods may spark a bit of interest?

What do others think?

I did come up with a kind of a solution to this, and its only a rough idea, but I thought maybe the mods could PM 20 members a fortnight /month or something and ask them to be official forum critics for 2/4 weeks. Just a template message asking for people to maybe crit as many picture posts as possible for a set time period?? I dont know if this feasible, but it might boost the still rather poor comment ratio and get members more involved?? Even if only 25% bothered, it would still help? Being asked "officially" by the mods may spark a bit of interest?

What do others think?

Its a good idea but unworkable I feel, as you can't "press gang" people into posting.
Though the "un-answered post" link ( at the top) seemed to help little.

...you can't "press gang" people into posting...

Oy you, get posting now!! :bat: :LOL:

Honest critique is the only way to go for me - if I don't like an image then I'll say - I will however, always back up a criticism with justification & expect others to do the same.

A lot of posters are asking for C&C both good & bad in their original threads & this frees up a lot of people to honestly comment. Beginner or professional, everyone is entitled to an opinion & should feel free to voice that opinion in a forum that is designed for exactly that kind of feedback :rules:
People that take offence at the slightest thing don't normally remain long as troublemaking doesn't tend to last long here :shrug:

If you like a photo, comment on it - the OP will appreciate it & you'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling of immense wellbeing :LOL:

Oy you, get posting now!! :bat: :LOL:

Honest critique is the only way to go for me - if I don't like an image then I'll say - I will however, always back up a criticism with justification & expect others to do the same.

A lot of posters are asking for C&C both good & bad in their original threads & this frees up a lot of people to honestly comment. Beginner or professional, everyone is entitled to an opinion & should feel free to voice that opinion in a forum that is designed for exactly that kind of feedback :rules:
People that take offence at the slightest thing don't normally remain long as troublemaking doesn't tend to last long here :shrug:

If you like a photo, comment on it - the OP will appreciate it & you'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling of immense wellbeing :LOL:

:razz::D

Well put Mike (y)

My main issue (if you can call it that) is people spend time and effort putting together good honest C&C
and then the OP doesn't respond ( I know a lot do but a lot don't either)
A "thanks" or "OK I can see where I went wrong" would be good, for the not so ooo aint it fab" replies. Getting the hump,
ignoring the "bad" C&C and just responding to the good ( some posts can get quite "polar" as you know)
getting the hump or just deleting the images
does no one no good at all
and make me, and others I am sure, think twice about offering help ( if I can of course, and I don't mind admitting a lot is way outta my league)

Having just started bought my DSLR recently I am still learning.In my 50's and learning Photoshop as well.I agree with above.If you post your Photos asking for C& C the guys here give you what they consider their honest opinion, I welcome this as it can only help,and I always have the gratitude to respond back.I think its only manners.You would do it in various walks of life, if some-one offered to help.If you only want to see good C&c don't ask for an opinion

i would just like to add if fellow members wish to take my pics and adjust them to show me where they can be improved then feel free as it would be a big learning curve for me :wave:(y)

Having just started bought my DSLR recently I am still learning.In my 50's and learning Photoshop as well.I agree with above.If you post your Photos asking for C& C the guys here give you what they consider their honest opinion, I welcome this as it can only help,and I always have the gratitude to respond back.I think its only manners.You would do it in various walks of life, if some-one offered to help.If you only want to see good C&c don't ask for an opinion
My point exactly (y)

i would just like to add if fellow members wish to take my pics and adjust them to show me where they can be improved then feel free as it would be a big learning curve for me :wave:(y)

When you post a picture just ask for some "shopping" ideas someone will jump in I am sure (y)

what a nice thread, so i havent experienced one of these dodgy posters yet, and do say if i dont like a pic and how i think it can be made better(despite not being able to do it myself). but it also helps boost the photos from newer members, the more you comment the longer they stay towards the top of the pile so to speak. giving them a chance to get more people to see it. if noone comments, especially on some evenings, the pic can drop off the www.talkphotography.co.uk page in as little as half hour, and is never seen again. so just comment and let more people see the image

you still here moaning and causing trouble ya grumpy old sod :p

you still here moaning and causing trouble ya grumpy old sod :p

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I never resurrected it :p
and yep I am still a grumpy old sod (y)

Well, I've just read this thread right through and agree with a lot of what's been said, ie it's polite to say 'thanks' when someone's taken the trouble to c&c your pics, and it's disheartening if your pic doesn't attract any/few comments. I'm ashamed to say I have avoided looking at a pic with a large 'looked at' count but no comments on it because usually it's an ok pic with nothing particularly wrong but nothing particularly notewothy either. This has happened to a couple of mine and I've realised that that is c&c enough - it's a bit nothingy, move on Jean. :shrug: Or the forums are really busy and pics have dropped off the page so fast. I noticed this at one point yesterday - near the bottom of the page (sorry can't remember which one) there were 5 or 6 threads with 1, 2 or no comments. I felt sorry for the posters but hadn't got time to open them all and try and give some support.

We can all learn from each other, and I never cease to be amazed at the range of expertise on this site, and not just photographic expertise. People who take their pics down too quickly or after an adverse comment are perhaps just very unsure of themselves/their skills. There again, of course, they might just have got the hump, but I for one would rather give them the benefit of the doubt. The bigger the community gets the more room there is for people to feel 'excluded', I guess. That's how life is.

Rant over -

for tonight. :D

I did not read the whole thread so insert normal disclaimer here...:bonk:(y)

Welcome to the club, Chris...5 more threads like these and we will teach you the G.O.S. secret handshake too:LOL:

I thin Canon Bob said it well when he spoke of peeps who want ace results with fancy gear.

I have found it to be the absolute opposite...big cameras demand respect, excellent technique and lots of both.

This has been said so many times and here it comes again:

If you do not want / cannot handle well meant critique...AVOID THE IN-DEPTH CRITIQUE AND SIMILAR SECTIONS!!!

IMHO, if you are not going to respond to crit then see the 2nd half of the previous paragraph...:bonk:

//G.O.S. mode off.:D

I'll look at the pics in the threads with no comments first. Any comment is better than no comment, I feel.

imo that's what we should all do - I'm just a coward sometimes (well, lots of the time) and think if a pic's been looked at 53 times or whatever and nobody has commented, it's unlikely I'm going to find something even half way sensible to say about it. But it's really sad if posters take offence at anything on forums like these - it should be fun, enjoyable and contribute to our knowledge of the best job/hobby in the world! Not make us sign off and kick the cat in anger. :(

Back