Is it just me? am I really turning into a G'O'S?

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
It is just me?
When I post pictures some are purely for fun some are more "serious" I hope to get feed-back at times,
( and mostly I do) Some I post I think are the dogs testicles, some I know are "OK snaps" but technically crap.
For the most part I get good honest critique ( Cheers! (y)) telling me how to improve.
This doesn't offend me in the slightest and helps me become a better 'tog (one would hope).
I always reply to the critique be it good or bad, with an acknowledgement of some kind even If I thought I dun good,
but the critique proves me otherwise. But hey that's why I posted in the first place.
To improve or find out how I did manage to screw things up
I have noticed recently that critique given, is, more and more being ignored by the original poster,
and also to the point of said image being removed.
Its it just me? am I turning into a grumpy old sod? :shrug:
Surly the "poster" should at least acknowledge the critique which is 99% of the time
followed by advice on how to improve?
Basic manners surely?
And also this must discourage some people from offering advice in the future?
Ah well rant off

Ha Chris Chris Chris

Being a quieter, skulks unassumingly in the background, sort of chap - I've not posted this same thought so publicly, I've just pm-d the 'offender' to ask what's going on!!! :LOL:

Sometimes a question is asked that needs a lengthy reply - so when the poster doesn't respond it is annoying

GOS - yes - but deservedly & forgivably so on occasion

Ha Chris Chris Chris

Being a quieter, skulks unassumingly in the background, sort of chap - I've not posted this same thought so publicly, I've just pm-d the 'offender' to ask what's going on!!! :LOL:

Sometimes a question is asked that needs a lengthy reply - so when the poster doesn't respond it is annoying

GOS - yes - but deservedly & forgivably so on occasion

:LOL: I am not picking on anyone in particular, Dave, but I see what you mean about the lengthy replies, especially if you type as "fast" as me :bang:
I had just noticed that this was becoming more of a "habit"
Subtle as a brick around the chops me :D

As a recent joiner to the group I have to say that some of the 'lack of response from the poster' may come down to the fact that sometimes threads get hijacked or go off on a tangent. If a person feels their original post is no longer the main 'thread' of conversation then they probably feel a bit excluded.

I'd like to say this hasn't happened to me personally, but I have seen it in other posts.

Just a thought....

Alex

As a recent joiner to the group I have to say that some of the 'lack of response from the poster' may come down to the fact that sometimes threads get hijacked or go off on a tangent. If a person feels their original post is no longer the main 'thread' of conversation then they probably feel a bit excluded.

I'd like to say this hasn't happened to me personally, but I have seen it in other posts.

Just a thought....

Alex

Fair point, and it does happen, but as the original poster "I" can ask a mod to clean up the thread, if its getting outta hand or just get it back on track "yourself," with a simple request.
But it was more the straight forward ones I was refering too, with possibley 3 or 4 constructive criticisms that are totally ignored by the originator, or the images concerned are deleted leaving the thread worthless. Its not only the originator that learns from the C&C, but other "browsers" as well, as long as the image is still there, that is.

"I" can ask a mod to clean up the thread, if its getting outta hand or just get it back on track "yourself," with a simple request.

Its good to know that you can ask for eroneous (?) comments to be cleared from a thread, it hadn't occured to me as a possibility.

I agree with you that it is wrong for people to seemingly take offense to comments and then delete their pics so they don't receive anymore from anyone. If you don't want to know, then don't post!

Chris - I happen to agree. I've not been here long, but there does seem to be a minority (but growing number) of posters whom put their images up for C & C, and either take their image down because the feedback has been lacking or not positive, or, as you say, don't bother replying when they do get some replies.

However, I can see to a certain extent why it happens. There are several prominent cliques here at TP, and so if certain people start threads (not just in the Critique sub-forums), there will always be half a dozen folks whom will respond. To the members outside those cliques (i.e. the majority), starting a thread with what may seem to be good quality shots may sometimes feel like a waste of time, because if they're not on the 'invisible list of favoured members', the likelihood of replies and useful criticism is reduced.

Alex's point about thread hijacks is true also. It's irritating (not just to the original poster, but others too) when the 'in crowd' divert attention from the thread subject, and turn it into a personal conversation. That's what PM's are for.

Do we need stronger moderation?

I completely agree with your points Chris (y) If someone takes the time to comment on your posted shot it's only a matter of courtesy to acknowledge the fact. I too have noticed recently a few people removing their shots from a thread soon after posting them. Soooo annoying :annoyed:

I'm afraid I don't go along with this "thread hijacking" issue. The banter on TP is what has always stood this place apart from other more formal and stuffy forums. Rather than moaning about people having a conversation in "your" thread - join in, it's fun :D

And Marky_h, No, we absolutely do NOT need stronger moderation! Again, the relaxed moderation is part of what makes this forum the great place it is ;)

I'm the first to admit I probably wouldn't have joined this forum without the prompt from one of the long time members. And in any society, which this site clearly is, you will find established members and newcomers.

I personally don't think I need to, or can, break into the 'inner circle' with my photographs or opinion and will try to comment on anyones work if they post it here and I see it, my opinion may not be worth a damn but I'll give it anyway :) But I really do value the opinion of forum members with more experience and 'eye' then I have.

You really are just a grumpy old sod my dear Cobra :D

Seriously though, I have to say I hadn't noticed poeple not acknowledging the comments, even though I always try and say thanks on mine at some point. However, of course, now I will be watching for it :LOL: If it is happening, then I agree its somewhat impolite.

I've noticed the same thing...both here and on POTN. For some folk, it seems they are only looking for praise and anything less than cooing or gurgling is met with either a stoney silence or an 'okay, you do better" response.

I had never considered that negative criticism should only be given if the critic could do better. I now tend to keep any negative thoughts to myself unless the the poster is asking "what's wrong".

It may come down to the fact that some people have spent a good chunk of money on high gear and expect 1st class results every time. You can't buy success in this game...definately not.

Bob

I see it happening too, Bob - it becomes personal rather than objective for some folks, which is daft. We might as well rename the 'Critique' subforums 'Adoration' instead.

The way I see it is (and I'm sure most others do) that if folk post their pics up in the subforums, they're fair game for positive and negative comments, and if they can't take it, they should use their gallery space instead. It's daft to post some shots in a Critique forum with the sub-agenda "If you can't say anything positive about my photos, don't say anything at all" - defeats the object.

A shining example of how it should work (I've picked this purely as it's recent and fresh in the mind) is this thread. Constructive discussion from which everyone can learn.

I'm new here and to slr photography and would honestly prefer to hear opinions on why a shot does or doesn't work, not just my own but on everyone elses photo's too, it all helps when learning. I also like to hear opinions from non-photographer (outside forum) or newbie's like myself, surely everyones opinion is valid in subjective artwork? It would be a shame if folks felt they could only post positive comments.

With the basic kit and little knowledge I have I was unsure whether to post pics at first, but my experience here so far has been very positive and it does feel like the more experienced seem to 'take into account' that someone's a beginner.

I'm new here and to slr photography and would honestly prefer to hear opinions on why a shot does or doesn't work, not just my own but on everyone elses photo's too, it all helps when learning. I also like to hear opinions from non-photographer (outside forum) or newbie's like myself, surely everyones opinion is valid in subjective artwork? It would be a shame if folks felt they could only post positive comments.

With the basic kit and little knowledge I have I was unsure whether to post pics at first, but my experience here so far has been very positive and it does feel like the more experienced seem to 'take into account' that someone's a beginner.

Morning m8 - good point and glad you're posting images for comment

As it happens, I've just posted my thoughts on one you've commented on Spooky!!! :D

:wave: I happen to agree with you Chris, I think I've aknowledged all the critique on my posts :thinking:, as it's only polite! If someone's taken the time to give you some comments on your photos, the least you should do is say thanks! :D

Right, I'm going to check my threads now to make sure I've said thanks!

Its good to know that you can ask for eroneous (?) comments to be cleared from a thread, it hadn't occured to me as a possibility.

Anyone can also just click the red triangle to report a post if they think it's out of order. We'll then take a look at it and if it's obviously daft/offensive/out of order, whoever get's there first will do the needful. If you don't want to use the Report post button just PM one of the people here

Other comments which might have offended an individual and caused them to be reported will generally be looked at and the consensus view taken. By definition that means that not all reported posts will be removed, but they will definitely be looked at.

The moderation is fairly relaxed but that doesn't mean it's not taken seriously. The whole point is to let things flow and only intervene where things are obviously going wrong. Thankfully it doesn't happen that often. :)

And to answer the original post, what do you mean "Turning"? :D :p

I reply to comments in my threads or at least i try to. Its possible a few have slipped through the net if there is a time laspe between replys. Although i have been here since sept its only recently that i have started posting comments on pics. Mainly because i found it difficult to cirtique things when i wasn't sure i could do any better. But that isnt the point. I may not be able to achieve what im aiming for consistantly yet, although advice from here is helping, but i still know what i am aiming for and if i share thoughts and pics with others we can all learn together.

one other thing i do find posts on here move at an alarming rate and i keep loosing my threads despite the my posts tool and the search function.:bang:

I've noticed the same thing...both here and on POTN. For some folk, it seems they are only looking for praise and anything less than cooing or gurgling is met with either a stoney silence or an 'okay, you do better" response.

I had never considered that negative criticism should only be given if the critic could do better. I now tend to keep any negative thoughts to myself unless the the poster is asking "what's wrong".

It may come down to the fact that some people have spent a good chunk of money on high gear and expect 1st class results every time. You can't buy success in this game...definately not.

Bob

I agree, the reason I post pictures is to learn. Like everyone else I like to be told if a picture I have taken is good and I feel proud that I've got one right, but I learn from critque not praise.

I've yet to see a negative comment on this forum about picture, where the reasons for a picture not working haven't been explained. (So please feel free to share your thoughts on my pictures Bob(y))

I post views on pictures when I feel that the shot is good or I feel I can explain, with my limited experience, how it could be improved. I hope that my opinions are recieved in the manner in which they were intended and often think long and hard about the language used to ensure that I'm not appearing to be dismissive of someones efforts to date.

Oh This is great I have a lot of people agreeing with me I will definately frame this thread :D

Chris - I happen to agree. ........
However, I can see to a certain extent why it happens. There are several prominent cliques here at TP, and so if certain people start threads (not just in the Critique sub-forums), there will always be half a dozen folks whom will respond. To the members outside those cliques (i.e. the majority), starting a thread with what may seem to be good quality shots may sometimes feel like a waste of time, because if they're not on the 'invisible list of favoured members', the likelihood of replies and useful criticism is reduced.

Do we need stronger moderation?

I think that there will be a certain Clique where ever people "meet"but that just life I guess, but I fully understand what you mean
I personally think the Mods do a grand job ( where's the butt licking emoticon? :D) and I would imagine that its difficult to keep the balance right.

I completely agree with your points Chris If someone takes the time to comment on your posted shot it's only a matter of courtesy to acknowledge the fact.
I'm afraid I don't go along with this "thread hijacking" issue. The banter on TP is what has always stood this place apart from other more formal and stuffy forums. Rather than moaning about people having a conversation in "your" thread - join in, it's fun

And Marky_h, No, we absolutely do NOT need stronger moderation! Again, the relaxed moderation is part of what makes this forum the great place it is

Were pretty much in agreement then Grendel (y)
occasionally a post will get hi-jacked to death, but its rare and yep the banter is part of what makes TP, what it is, the fun place to be, unlike some other forums (y)

You really are just a grumpy old sod my dear Cobra

Thanks LL nice to have it confirmed I thought it was "just me" :D

I happen to agree with you Chris, I think I've aknowledged all the critique on my posts :thinking:, as it's only polite! If someone's taken the time to give you some comments on your photos, the least you should do is say thanks!

My point exactly (y) especially if its a long reply ( as already been mentioned.

Dod .........
And to answer the original post, what do you mean "Turning"?
:p that two definates I guess I really must be a grumpy old sod time for a new "title" I guess :D

one other thing i do find posts on here move at an alarming rate and i keep loosing my threads despite the my posts tool and the search function.:bang:

Click your user name, then click " find more posts by" Toothie in this case, you can track lots of threads this way if you know who started them, HTH?

ooh, can i be part of a clique? :)
i occasionaly voice(type ) my opinion of peoples work.
generaly to say that i like them(or dont). i dont pretend for one moment to be an expert on composition,saturation,or any other ation.other than the occasional
"perhaps its a bit dark"
i wont dishearten people by slagging off their shots.
whover you are, keep posting em. i like to see em, regardless of talent, technicaly ability or equipment. its such a sujective erm.. subject , that some will love em, some wont.

personaly i prefer my moderator moderate.
remember opinions are just that. doesnt mean theyre right and your wrong.keep critique constructive.
ramble over.

I comment on as many as I can and 100% respond to feedback on my shots. I always offer my opinion on shots whether or not that is good bad or indifferent.
I do think however (and have said this many times in the past) that feedback is a two way process - You post a shot, get feedback and respond. Don't ignore it if you don't like it. Ask a qualifying question if unsure, but most of all be bothered about the shots you post and want to improve. Without feedback you'll not improve.... So Cobra I think I'm saying I agree ;)

I AM a grumpy old sod.(is 44 old enough to be called old?)

I'm sure thats fine, I used to whinge about my nappies being too tight so I have had a lot of practice :LOL: Though, its more of a vocation than an age thing I guess :D

.....I do think however (and have said this many times in the past) that feedback is a two way process - You post a shot, get feedback and respond. Don't ignore it if you don't like it. Ask a qualifying question if unsure, but most of all be bothered about the shots you post and want to improve. Without feedback you'll not improve.... So Cobra I think I'm saying I agree ;)

Spot on Chewy (y)
As you know that was my original point more and more
<frequently> <people> are just not responding to feed back or getting the hump, with the feedback that they get and delete their pictures Oh well :shrug:

(y)
i agree eith all above ..
ref the point about pics being deleted.. im not sure how long a pic should stay up .

i only host shots on here and when your gallery space is runnimg low you have to delete some ..
also if i look at a shot of mine that i have changed my mind about and no longer like i may delete it ..

just my thought . but i like to comment on pictures good bad or plain ugly if what im saying is right " not often" then great but on the plus side if what im saying is wrong then someone who know something will put me right.. which means that the op will get the result they want " hopefully"

md(y)

(y)
i agree eith all above ..
ref the point about pics being deleted.. im not sure how long a pic should stay up .

i only host shots on here and when your gallery space is runnimg low you have to delete some ..
also if i look at a shot of mine that i have changed my mind about and no longer like i may delete it ..

just my thought . but i like to comment on pictures good bad or plain ugly if what im saying is right " not often" then great but on the plus side if what im saying is wrong then someone who know something will put me right.. which means that the op will get the result they want " hopefully"

md(y)

I take the point about "how long" should an image stay up, Dave, and of course once the gallery is getting full then we have to "clean house"
But I was really refering to the images that are on for a day or less following slightly negative feed back. ( with or without constructive advice)
I don't think there is an answer to "how long" but I guess it should be more than a day :D

I tend to delete the oldest ones, first, once I start to get near my limit ( like you I only use the galleries here) by then the thread has merged with the annals of time and has been committed to oblivon anyway

:D

just to reiterate yes cobra is a g.o.s.

:exit:

md(y)

i guess i must be one of the few then that has decided not to post anymore photos as to the LACK of responce shown in them, although i do try and say something about others pictures. Its not that they dont get viewed, they do, but when you have had 50 views and maybe 1 responce, its a little offputting to say the least.
When i look at someone pictures I dont offer critique, as i cant do any better, but i do offer MY honest appraisal of what i see. All our monitors will show a different picture, so some will see it dark, and some will see it light, some over saturated, some say it looks good, so what has been said is only what THEY see at the time (should you be lucky enough to receive any)..

You do realise that 50 views does not equal 50 members looking at your thread?

You do realise that 50 views does not equal 50 members looking at your thread?

i hope that is true, for if it takes 50 views by the same person to decide to make a comment, i think i'll go to the Sale section and put my stuff up for sale.:razz:

i guess i must be one of the few then that has decided not to post anymore photos as to the LACK of responce shown in them, although i do try and say something about others pictures. Its not that they dont get viewed, they do, but when you have had 50 views and maybe 1 responce, its a little offputting to say the least.
When i look at someone pictures I dont offer critique, as i cant do any better, but i do offer MY honest appraisal of what i see. All our monitors will show a different picture, so some will see it dark, and some will see it light, some over saturated, some say it looks good, so what has been said is only what THEY see at the time (should you be lucky enough to receive any)..

Thats all fair comment, Boon (y)
I often reply to offer encouragement, IF I can see a "fault" in my limited experiance and IF I can offer advice then I will post that too, what I don't do ( rightly or wrongly) is if something is obviously crap, ie well OOF, unitentionally far too soft over / under saturated etc I tend not to say anything at all. but I guess thats wrong also :shrug:
Its a pity though that you feel you can't won't post anymore pictures

I agree.
I love to find out when my pics are right (Not often)
But I even more want to know when they are wrong.
I always try to reply to any comments about my shots good or bad.
I may miss some at time (sorry if I have).
If someone has taken their time to look and comment your your shots I believe you should take the time to thank them for the comments.

Now stop being so bloody grumpy and post pics:razz:

I honestly dont think it does.
At the very minimum, it's 50 refreshes. That could be one person reloading the thread 50 times (and that includes the OP). When the OP posts his thread, thats at least 1 view.
When someone replies, thats 2 views (1 before replying and 1 after), so you can see how the count can easily go up not in tandem with the number of replies :)

I would have thought it wouldnt count the same IP more than once though Marcel, pretty sure phpbb gives an accurate number and as this is supposed to be a ton better than that I would be suprised.

I honestly dont think it does.
At the very minimum, it's 50 refreshes. That could be one person reloading the thread 50 times (and that includes the OP). When the OP posts his thread, thats at least 1 view.
When someone replies, thats 2 views (1 before replying and 1 after), so you can see how the count can easily go up not in tandem with the number of replies :)

When I have looked at my own posts with no replies, it doesn't bump up the veiwing figures...... I know I tried :D

When I have looked at my own posts with no replies, it doesn't bump up the veiwing figures...... I know I tried :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

if you have no replies mate why are you looking at the post have you forgotten what you posted..:LOL:

only kiddding (y)

md(y)

Back