Is it just me?

Name
DavidS
Edit My Images
Yes
Like many people, I've been so used to using digital for the past few years with instant 'feedback' on the photo that I'm nervous now I'm adding analogue photography back into the mix.

With the cost of film & D&P [I don't feel confident in developing my own film], I'm holding back from shooting analogue for fear of wasted film. Stupid I know. Is it just me?

I'd be interested in people's take and thoughts on this.

Take your time to find scenes and compositions that work for you and then make sure everything is set correctly before firing the shutter. I'll often spend time looking at a subject, moving around to try different angles and viewpoints, maybe wait ingfor the light to change before making the photo. Sometimes I do all that and then decide the picture isn't good enough and move on. My aim is to make every shot on the roll count. Not that I've achieved that yet, but its a good thing to strive for. :)

This also stands for digital of course, but the lack of cost per shot means its much easier to take a scattergun approach than with film.

Last edited:
Some fun is free, but most fun costs money. Beer drinkers don't balk at the idea of drinking beer because they might barf later, and golfers seem quite happy to lose 2 or 3 quid every time they can't track down a wayward shot. Same for eating fancy scoff when a tin of beans is perfectly adequate. Film is just another consumable. If you like taking photos, it costs X to do so, and you might get some nice results. If you're happy to spend X on the doing of it, then any nice pics are a bonus.

Take your time to find scenes and compositions that work for you and then make sure everything is set correctly before firing the shutter. I'll often spend time looking at a subject, moving around to try different angles and viewpoints, maybe wait ingfor the light to change before making the photo. Sometimes I do all that and then decide the picture isn't good enough and move on. My aim is to make every shot on the roll count. Not that I've achieved that yet, but its a good thing to strive for. :)

This also stands for digital of course, but the lack of cost per shot means its much easier to take a scattergun approach than with film.

Yes, good advice that I do try to follow.

'Scattergun' is a good way of describing how I often end up taking pictures with digital. With there being no limit on the number of shots, I can usually get a few decent ones that I can then edit in post.

Using film makes me consider each shot. On Monday, I went into town with my Bronica ETRs to photograph local architecture and in an hour and a half, I shot five images. I am confident that each of the five will be a good image both exposure wise and composition.

Last edited:
Some fun is free, but most fun costs money. Beer drinkers don't balk at the idea of drinking beer because they might barf later, and golfers seem quite happy to lose 2 or 3 quid every time they can't track down a wayward shot. Same for eating fancy scoff when a tin of beans is perfectly adequate. Film is just another consumable. If you like taking photos, it costs X to do so, and you might get some nice results. If you're happy to spend X on the doing of it, then any nice pics are a bonus.
That is so true. I'd not thought of it like that.

I'm going to attempt to keep costs down by just the getting developing done and scanning the negatives with my DSLR. I just responded to a post about DIY light boxes. If that doesn't work then it's a matter of biting the bullet and paying for my D&P as you say.

I just need to get my confidence back regarding shooting film I think. Never was a problem before to be honest, just been spoiled by the immediacy of digital I guess!

Thanks all.

I just need to get my confidence back regarding shooting film I think. Never was a problem before to be honest, just been spoiled by the immediacy of digital I guess!

Thanks all.
There's nothing quite like the slightly 'child on Christmas morning' feeling when the packet containing your developed film drops through the letterbox. They probably won't all be gems, but that makes getting some right all the more rewarding. Learning what works and what doesn't is also part of the enjoyment and I enjoy the honesty of film for that. Have fun and enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

If you get good results with digital then there's no reason why you can't get good results with film, too. The advantage of digital is being able to see the image instantly and then adjust some settings and take the same shot again. Maybe next time you go out with your digital camera, put some tape or something over the screen so that you can't review an image and adjust accordingly. Just take the photo as you normally would, and then only look at them when you get home. If most of them are ok, then you have nothing to worry about!

The cost is just something you have to accept, really. For colour negative, it's probably £10-12 a roll to buy the roll and have it developed, and you can get a couple of hours fun and some photos out of it. No one would think twice about buying three pints down the pub and spending the same sort of money. Just don't go on a day out with @Andysnap or you'll end spending money on film AND beer :LOL:

Now, now... the F&C Cheshire/Staffs locals only meet up in the beer tent at every outdoor event we go to because it's usually in a central location and easy for us all to find... honest! ;)
and it is where you find :beer:

Nattering over the costs, no it is not just you .

You’re extremely unlikely to get 36 keepers from a 36 roll of film.

If that is what you’re after then perhaps film is not for you.

As already mentioned, film is a consumable just like the paper and ink is if you print like some of us do.

Errors are made and a certain amount of the funds put into film, paper, ink , developing chemicals/ lab costs etc will be ‘lost’**

** Not really lost as you have had pleasure of participating in a hobby/ pastime that you enjoy.

If the cost of anyone’s hobby / pastime, personal enjoyment is their primary concern then my suggestion is to find a hobby that costs nothing ( I’m sure there are one or two ) or simply do nothing so that living costs nothing then go to the grave having not done what you would have liked to have done!
I’m sure there’s logic in that somewhere!

Apologies if I come across a bit irritated but life is too darned short to natter over a few quid!

And before anyone may think that I have a large income or huge savings, I can assure you I do not, quite the contrary!
I do however have priorities, one of which is to enjoy as much as possible, with the income that I have, the things that give me pleasure.

I too could matter over the costs ...... what good will it do.? Scare me into not firing the shutter or restrict me from experimenting with different ideas/ methods.
If I get to that point then it’ll be time to pack in......

If you get good results with digital then there's no reason why you can't get good results with film, too. The advantage of digital is being able to see the image instantly and then adjust some settings and take the same shot again. Maybe next time you go out with your digital camera, put some tape or something over the screen so that you can't review an image and adjust accordingly. Just take the photo as you normally would, and then only look at them when you get home. If most of them are ok, then you have nothing to worry about!

The cost is just something you have to accept, really. For colour negative, it's probably £10-12 a roll to buy the roll and have it developed, and you can get a couple of hours fun and some photos out of it. No one would think twice about buying three pints down the pub and spending the same sort of money. Just don't go on a day out with @Andysnap or you'll end spending money on film AND beer :LOL:
I clearly need to make @Andysnap's acquaintance sometime!

You're right on the spending: it's about only the cost of a night out for D&P of a roll of film as you say so fair enough.

Back in the day, I didn't have such trepidation. I'd snap away quite happily with my Zenit E then later my AE-1 Program. I used to shoot mainly transparencies. I got it mail order from an AP advertiser, an East German film if I recall with D&P included, around £3-4 (shows you how long ago it was!).

You’re extremely unlikely to get 36 keepers from a 36 roll of film.

If that is what you’re after then perhaps film is not for you.
I just need to get out there. Spoiled by digital is all it is.

Many years ago, there was an article on an American photographer who produced some stunning work. His success rate would be 1 in 10. The results were worth it.

Consider what it costs me to expose large format film - if you're sitting down, look up the price of 10x8 film, and then remember that people use much larger sheets than that...

I just need to get out there. Spoiled by digital is all it is.

Exactly the attitude that I would propose.!

“Just do it “.........that’s the saying now I think ( or it that old hat now lol? )

Go for it , just remember the primary difference from digital is to expose for the shadows with film; ;)

Many years ago, there was an article on an American photographer who produced some stunning work. His success rate would be 1 in 10. The results were worth it.

Consider what it costs me to expose large format film - if you're sitting down, look up the price of 10x8 film, and then remember that people use much larger sheets than that...
Yikes! That's dedication!

Less than £20 to D&P 120/35mm film is nothing then. I am humbled.

So much good advice. Thanks all.

Like riding a bike, it will come back to me I'm sure. And with my ETRS, I will have to get off Auto.

Yikes! That's dedication!

Less than £20 to D&P 120/35mm film is nothing then. I am humbled.
Yes the costs incurred with LF errors be it 5x4 or 10x8 sheetsmount up very quickly but as I mentioned earlier, it’s a hobby.
I make many mistakes, often very careless ones but I take it as part of the fun and the learning process..... we never stop learning regardless of experience.
I have a pile of dead LF negs ( bjanks, over/ under exposed etc etc)sat here which could easily persuade me to stop the format or even stop film but it won’t because I enjoy it too much!
Hopefully you too will rekindle the fun of using film kit and handling / viewing the negatives .

Hopefully you too will rekindle the fun of using film kit and handling / viewing the negatives .
I may go back to 35mm transparencies and a projector and can bore people with 'pictures of my last holiday'! ;)

I may go back to 35mm transparencies and a projector and can bore people with 'pictures of my last holiday'! ;)
Yes, but it's got to be a trip to Machu Picchu for that full 'send a glass eye to sleep' holiday snap experience! :D Talking of old E6 films, I used to roll my own Barfen E6 from bulk rolls. Remember that name from the past, I think that might have been German made?

h'mm to me it all sums up to:- either you enjoy dancing, cycling, golf, etc etc and using a film camera OR you don't.
For me I could go out and buy an expensive digi tomorrow but I've had a lot of enjoyment from e.g. a £5 camera with an old lens and the same lens would give you the same results using an expensive film camera (providing it could take it).

Yes the costs incurred with LF errors be it 5x4 or 10x8 sheetsmount up very quickly but as I mentioned earlier, it’s a hobby.
I make many mistakes, often very careless ones but I take it as part of the fun and the learning process..... we never stop learning regardless of experience.
I have a pile of dead LF negs ( bjanks, over/ under exposed etc etc)sat here which could easily persuade me to stop the format or even stop film but it won’t because I enjoy it too much!
This year's Ilford ULF pricelist has just been announced. You may need to sit down before reading it. :eek: https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/unusual--ultra-large-format-sheet-film-29-c.asp

The scariest for me is quarterplate FP4+ at £106.10 for 25 sheets, compared to £58,49 for 25 sheets of halfplate and £118.73 for wholeplate. I'm sure there will be other anomalies!

This year's Ilford ULF pricelist has just been announced. You may need to sit down before reading it. :eek: https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/unusual--ultra-large-format-sheet-film-29-c.asp

The scariest for me is quarterplate FP4+ at £106.10 for 25 sheets, compared to £58,49 for 25 sheets of halfplate and £118.73 for wholeplate. I'm sure there will be other anomalies!

You need to sell the quarter plate kit Peter...... you know that’s it’s bordering on subminiature format anyway so no good for us ‘Big Toy Boys’ [emoji23] lol

It would be a lot easier just to put a black cloth over your head and tear up £5 notes for 30 seconds!

You need to sell the quarter plate kit Peter...... you know that’s it’s bordering on subminiature format anyway so no good for us ‘Big Toy Boys’ [emoji23] lol
Thankfully I don't have quarterplate kit Asha, it was just the anomaly of the high price compared to the half and whole plate film. Sounds like a very niche size nowadays.

In 1961 plates backed for 12 at 4" X 5" was 14 shiilings and 8 pence= roughly 3/4 of £1
cut film 25 at 4" X 5" was 25 shillings = 1 and a 1/4 £
well with inflation £1 in 1961 is about £22 in 2019

In 1961 plates backed for 12 at 4" X 5" was 14 shiilings and 8 pence= roughly 3/4 of £1
cut film 25 at 4" X 5" was 25 shillings = 1 and a 1/4 £
well with inflation £1 in 1961 is about £22 in 2019
It would have been loads cheaper to have used a digital camera in those days, so I'm surprised more people didn't do that.

;)

Yes, but it's got to be a trip to Machu Picchu for that full 'send a glass eye to sleep' holiday snap experience! :D Talking of old E6 films, I used to roll my own Barfen E6 from bulk rolls. Remember that name from the past, I think that might have been German made?
That may well have been the slide film I used to get. I only remember I bought it from an advert in AP. Definitely East German & included D+P in the price as I say.

Where abouts are you in the country, I am sure one of us could take you through the basics of developing, get your confidence up.
I'm in Derby. But always happy to travel for a good shot/advice - I was digital only, now analogue as well of course.

I have looked at getting a developer starter kit from Analogue Wonderland or Amazon and YT has a lot of content around this. In person/Hands-on is always better though, current climate taken into consideration of course.

I'm in Derby. But always happy to travel for a good shot/advice - I was digital only, now analogue as well of course.

I have looked at getting a developer starter kit from Analogue Wonderland or Amazon and YT has a lot of content around this. In person/Hands-on is always better though, current climate taken into consideration of course.

You’re not a million miles away.
If you wanted, I could always come to you to teach you how to develop B&W. Scanning is another matter and whilst I have a scanner, I don’t care to use it or take the time to do it properly so if we did a developing session, it would only go as fast as hanging to dry.

You’re not a million miles away.
If you wanted, I could always come to you to teach you how to develop B&W. Scanning is another matter and whilst I have a scanner, I don’t care to use it or take the time to do it properly so if we did a developing session, it would only go as fast as hanging to dry.
That would be excellent, thank-you. I'm happy to travel as well, whichever is more convenient. Social distancing maintained as needed of course.

I don't have the developing kit as of yet but am seriously considering getting set up soon once funds allow - I spent way too much on my ETRS setup! I've only run one very out of date film through my ETRS so far and sent that off for developing to check the camera is working ok.

As for scanning, I'm going to try the DSLR method so it is only the negatives I'd need developing.

That would be excellent, thank-you. I'm happy to travel as well, whichever is more convenient. Social distancing maintained as needed of course.

I don't have the developing kit as of yet but am seriously considering getting set up soon once funds allow - I spent way too much on my ETRS setup! I've only run one very out of date film through my ETRS so far and sent that off for developing to check the camera is working ok.

As for scanning, I'm going to try the DSLR method so it is only the negatives I'd need developing.

I thought about saying you could come here, but then you'd have to wait a few hours for your film to dry, where if you can hang it at home it would be much easier. I can bring all the hardware but I am all out of developer as it has probably expired, sadly.

I thought about saying you could come here, but then you'd have to wait a few hours for your film to dry, where if you can hang it at home it would be much easier. I can bring all the hardware but I am all out of developer as it has probably expired, sadly.
No worries. You're most welcome to visit here. Derbyshire has some wonderful landscapes. Derby as well has some interesting features.

I'll see how the finances look with a view to getting a developing kit. I did see a YT video the other day about a new B&W all-in-one developing solution:

and it's available in the UK for around £20. Have you come across it before? May give it a go when I get set up with the rest of the kit.

it's available in the UK for around £20. Have you come across it before? May give it a go when I get set up with the rest of the kit.
Monobath processes have been available since the end of the 19th Century but have had a mixed reception. This one claims to have solved the two big problems of getting a smooth range of tones and providing an archival standard of fixing. I'm contemplating giving it a go but I might let a few more people get the arrows in their hats first. :naughty:

Back