Is It Possible To Increase Size Of Photo For Printify?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I've started a Printify account and prepared a 'Stretched Canvas', but Printify informs me that "This product contains average resolution layers that might affect the print quality on your product.".

My equipment is a 60mm macro lens and Nikon D3200. Which produces 24MP. I'm shooting in RAW and believe I have everything setup to produce the largest photographs? I process my photos with my iMac and 'Photos'. I just dragged the photo straight from there to Printiy.

The problem is that the photograph is only large enough for a 12" x 16" canvas, and even then it has to be 'stretched' to fit. Anything larger and Printify deems the photo as 'Medium Resolution'. So is it possible to increase the size of the photograph to allow for larger prints?

What size image (in pixels) are you sending them? and how deep is the canvas?

What size image (in pixels) are you sending them? and how deep is the canvas?

@Two_In
Plus have you actually read the help page here
https://printify.com/guide/design-g...&utm_term=help_center&utm_content=help_center

Especially the section about File size etc and What is DPI

Though they use a T shirt in the example the same file size and DPI will apply to all their products (unless they state differently elsewhere?)

PS simply answer to your original question - a file size in relation to DPI can be increased and that is s function under your control! Whether Mac Photos is a good editing program for doing that increase I have no idea. FWIW I now use Topaz Gigapixel AI to to do this on my Win10 PC.

According to Photos it's 3384 × 4766 and 20.8MB. I've cropped the picture so that it doesn't print on the edges. I can't find the depth right now, but they must be up to an inch.

I've just seen that Printify recommends 4181 × 3581. I've cropped the photograph.

@Two_In
PS simply answer to your original question - a file size in relation to DPI can be increased and that is s function under your control! Whether Mac Photos is a good editing program for doing that increase I have no idea. FWIW I now use Topaz Gigapixel AI to to do this on my Win10 PC.

Ok, that's what I was wanting to know - I'd like to think I can get up to A1 posters from my photographs?

btw. No, I hadn't read the instructions - feet first and all that...

@300dpi
The size 4181 X 3581px that will print at 13.9 inches X 11.9 inches

The size 4766 X 3384px will print 15.9 X 11.3 inches

Note ~ however your ratios are not the same ! One is 1:1.40 and the other is 1:1.16

Ok, that's what I was wanting to know - I'd like to think I can get up to A1 posters from my photographs?

A1 @ 300 DPI needs a file size 9930x7020px

NB the ratio that you show for Printify is not A1

Topaz Gigapixel has a trial period so if they have a Mac version give it a spin!

PS it looks like you have some homework to do ;)

Last edited:
I'd like to think I can get up to A1 posters from my photographs?

You can.

Sadly here is another company confusing dpi and ppi. From their help page "DPI means pixel density in one physical size unit." which is just wrong. They they go on to use "bulbs" in an example and still use dpi.... Dots simply don't need to be mentioned as they relate to physically printing on the medium (I think it's a print head thing), which customers don't need to know anything about.

12x16 is a 4:3 ratio while your sensor is 3:2 so you've got to chop a bit off. Assuming you don't crop any further this results in an image that's 5300 x 4000 which should easily fit into 12x16 and be more than 300 PPI. Only if you've got (for example) a wrap around the edges will it drop below 300 which obviously triggers their warnings.

I suspect manufacturers recommend huge (300+ppi) resolutions to avoid having to try and explain how viewing distance affects resolution. At A1, your image needs to be viewed from at least 3-4 feet away to appreciate it, and the human eye can't resolve better than about 100ppi at 2 feet. So your 4000x6000 sensor can print to a whopping 40 x 60 inches and still be viewed at 2 feet without any enlargement.

Last edited:
We print canvases for customers daily. We'd have no problems getting a 16x12 from a decent D3200 24mp image. I've got a 30x20 on my wall shot on an 8mp canon 30d.

We print canvases for customers daily. We'd have no problems getting a 16x12 from a decent D3200 24mp image. I've got a 30x20 on my wall shot on an 8mp canon 30d.
Do you do the processing for them?

I would agrre withthe comments of Harlequin.

I've used a '1.5 x diagonal dimension of the image' as a viewing distance for images in the past.

And then used the formula of '3438/viewing distance(in inches)' to give minimum ppi required for images.

We've nearly always ended up actually printing with higher ppi but you might be surprised just how big you can print using that and the image being acceptable.

You just have to get past print labs automated limits in some cases :)

Will Photoshop Elements be adequate for this post processing?

Will Photoshop Elements be adequate for this post processing?

All(?) post processing programs including PS Elements will upsize an image file. As far as I am aware PSE along with its bigger brother PS are not 'best in class' in regard to upsizing.

So, whether you will be happy with the results of what is a significant upsizing IMO only you can decide.

I think you have previously said you like to learn by doing, therefore download a trial (of whatever programs you wish to tryout) PP the files send them to Printify.....order the product and see for yourself if you are content with the quality. If you are satisfied then hopefully other purchasers (using Printify, do I read it right that you are uploading your files for others to buy canvases?) will also be happy with them?

All(?) If you are satisfied then hopefully other purchasers (using Printify, do I read it right that you are uploading your files for others to buy canvases?) will also be happy with them?

Yes, that's the deal - I've been printing my own A3 prints - but now want to use a third party (Printify) to do all of the production and shipping. I produce paintings that are about 50cm x 76cm and hope to sell A1(ish) canvas prints/prints of them.

I've just received a sample print that was produced using my D200 and old lens via Printify. All though 11" x 14" it wasn't too bad. Not exactly as the photograph of the painting appeared on screen, but ok. I guessed how to increase the file size in my old copy of Elements (now defunct due to OSX upgrade). And would have to research this much more carefully to do it correctly. I have a habit of doing things intuitively and can never remember how I did things...

Another reason to use PS Elements is that I know it better than anything else (in fact I only know of Mac photos otherwise). I've explored using extensions for the Mac Photos, but I can't get/find any feedback for these...

Last edited:
Yes, that's the deal - I've been printing my own A3 prints - but now want to use a third party (Printify) to do all of the production and shipping. I produce paintings that are about 50cm x 76cm and hope to sell A1(ish) canvas prints/prints of them.

I've just received a sample print that was produced using my D200 and old lens via Printify. All though 11" x 14" it wasn't too bad. Not exactly as the photograph of the painting appeared on screen, but ok. I guessed how to increase the file size in my old copy of Elements (now defunct due to OSX upgrade). And would have to research this much more carefully to do it correctly. I have a habit of doing things intuitively and can never remember how I did things...

Another reason to use PS Elements is that I know it better than anything else (in fact I only know of Mac photos otherwise). I've explored using extensions for the Mac Photos, but I can't get/find any feedback for these...

Reference the part in bold - this has not much to do with the DPI etc, and more to do with colour management, as far as I know (and happy to be corrected). Is your screen calibrated? Have you looked at a soft proof? Your screen will more than likely be a lot brighter than a printed image etc etc.

Reference the part in bold - this has not much to do with the DPI etc, and more to do with colour management, as far as I know (and happy to be corrected). Is your screen calibrated? Have you looked at a soft proof? Your screen will more than likely be a lot brighter than a printed image etc etc.

I obviously have to sharpen up my act if I want this to work. I'm also guessing that Printify know they're dealing with people like me who have a little bit of knowledge, but who fall short technically. I'm guessing that Printify use software that does some of the processing for their customers?

I obviously have to sharpen up my act if I want this to work. I'm also guessing that Printify know they're dealing with people like me who have a little bit of knowledge, but who fall short technically. I'm guessing that Printify use software that does some of the processing for their customers?

no idea, i've never used them.

You should not need to or be guessing what Printify (or any other printers) do, if your questions were not answered and the page I linked to covered all/most of their criteria...... my quick reading of it they do not mention that they perform any processing i.e. based on their design guidelines they are expecting 'print ready' files from you. Therefore it is they you should ask as needed, is it not?

FWIW I make sure to create fully print ready files (including any relevant colour and brightness & contrast corrections) before uploading to the printers I have used.

Last edited:
Back