Is it rude to ask the photographer to edit the photos differently?

Name
Catherine
Edit My Images
No
It's actually a funny question to ask while being a photographer myself, but anyway, here is the thing: I've been looking for a wedding photographer for a while and I've found one in my area who does pretty incredible photos but I have questions about his editing style. I like the way he works with the models and creates the shot itself, but his photos look too bright and sunny, while I'd like to have the exact same shots with a more moody edit. So the question is, should I ask him whether he can do the edits differently? As a photographer myself, I'd be fine with a request like that, but I know that some people may consider it rude. Or should I just ask him for the RAWs and then edit them myself? It's also a way to go, but I'm just not sure I'll want to spend time with the photos and Photoworks window instead of my husband, you see :D So what do I do? Looking for another photographer is also an option, but I really love the style this guy works with, so I'd prefer to work with him.

I shoot a few weddings ( usually around 4-6 a year) and NO WAY would I give away RAW files for people to edit themselves, as they could ruin the effort I put in taking the image in the 1st place & also my name would be associated with those images on social media etc etc - I have a couple of Photographer friends that shoot mostly weddings and NEVER have I heard of them giving / selling RAW files - It's just not done

You could ask him to edit in a moody way - however: I personally would not entertain such a request and suggest you find another Photographer who's style in more in line with your views on editing

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do weddings but I see no reason why you could not ask him if he is prepared to edit to a less 'bright' format, he can agree or refuse but in the current climate I think it unlikely many would refuse that simple request.
Hand you the RAW files? No. but no harm in asking about the final 'look'.

Last edited:
It's actually a funny question to ask while being a photographer myself, but anyway, here is the thing: I've been looking for a wedding photographer for a while and I've found one in my area who does pretty incredible photos but I have questions about his editing style. I like the way he works with the models and creates the shot itself, but his photos look too bright and sunny, while I'd like to have the exact same shots with a more moody edit. So the question is, should I ask him whether he can do the edits differently? As a photographer myself, I'd be fine with a request like that, but I know that some people may consider it rude. Or should I just ask him for the RAWs and then edit them myself? It's also a way to go, but I'm just not sure I'll want to spend time with the photos and Photoworks window instead of my husband, you see :D So what do I do? Looking for another photographer is also an option, but I really love the style this guy works with, so I'd prefer to work with him.

Just book someone whose style of final images you actually like. No pro wedding photographer is going to give you RAWS.

I mean you could certainly ask if they'd edit in a different style, but if it was me, I'd just say no and suggest you booked someone with that style on their portfolio.

Wouldn’t give out raws, definitely not.

You could ask to change their edit but the edit is also a huge part of a photographers style so they may or may not be willing to accommodate. Also, different shots suite different edit style and photographers would likely base their photography on this.

The answer to question really depends on who is asking me.

If it's an amateur photographer then no way I actually don't even want the job and I would turn it down. It's not worth the hassle. I've experienced it many times in the past from people absolutely think they know what they're talking about really don't.

You could take your own photos using time lapse ;) seriously as others have said there must be many professional photographers around who will or do shoot the style your after, don't get blinkered on just one

Last edited:
If you don’t ask you don’t know! I know a couple that didn’t like the post processing the photographer applied. He refused to change it. They ended spending so much money on photographs that they don’t like. They work in graphics so they are more particular about colours etc. They loved my informal photos for two reasons, I captured moments and I gave them my RAW files for them to use. Find a photographer who would be either willing to match your post processing requirements or willingly to give you RAWs otherwise you too could be left feeling “I wish......”

I don't do weddings but I see no reason why you could not ask him if he is prepared to edit to a less 'bright' format, he can agree or refuse but in the current climate I think it unlikely many would refuse that simple request.
Hand you the RAW files? No. but no harm in asking about the final 'look'.

The current situation means we're already incredibly busy for 2021 and lots also have plenty of bookings in 2022. There's a cashflow issue for many, but not a lack of bookings.

The bit that stands out for me here is your last sentence....

I So what do I do? Looking for another photographer is also an option, but I really love the style this guy works with, so I'd prefer to work with him.

This will come across more blunt than I intend it (the nature of forums) but you obvioulsy don't love the style he works with as you only like 50% of the job.
I know you say he is in your area but the U.K. isn't a big place and I travel anywhere to photograph weddings (just thrown my hat back in the ring after a 3 year hiatus) as do many photographers. Even if it costs a little more, find one you love the work of 100%, one you gel with as a human because they are with you for a long time (as I am sure yo know) and be happy forever with the photos you receive.

The current situation means we're already incredibly busy for 2021 and lots also have plenty of bookings in 2022. There's a cashflow issue for many, but not a lack of bookings.

Not wanting to derail the thread but this is good news. Just had a browse of your site, too. :)
A lot of the really good wedding photographers who used to frequent this forum have sadly left us, there aren't many about to chat to, share ideas, etc. Glad to hear you're busy for the nextr couple of years and I guess it's just riding 2020 out and hoping restrictions are lifted for the following years.

The bit that stands out for me here is your last sentence....

This will come across more blunt than I intend it (the nature of forums) but you obvioulsy don't love the style he works with as you only like 50% of the job.
I know you say he is in your area but the U.K. isn't a big place and I travel anywhere to photograph weddings (just thrown my hat back in the ring after a 3 year hiatus) as do many photographers. Even if it costs a little more, find one you love the work of 100%, one you gel with as a human because they are with you for a long time (as I am sure yo know) and be happy forever with the photos you receive.

Not wanting to derail the thread but this is good news. Just had a browse of your site, too. :)
A lot of the really good wedding photographers who used to frequent this forum have sadly left us, there aren't many about to chat to, share ideas, etc. Glad to hear you're busy for the nextr couple of years and I guess it's just riding 2020 out and hoping restrictions are lifted for the following years.

Thanks Gaz :)

Yeah not sure how many are still on here, not much wedding stuff seems to get posted so as a result, I don't post much of it either (so I'm partly to blame too!). I think many have moved over to the Facebook groups rather than this form, but I do find the forum easier/better to use for finding stuff, so *should* really make some more effort to post.

Thankfully I diversified a couple of years ago and built a small web design business catering for other photographers, so that's helped ride the storm of this year. But I know of at least one photographer that now has over 70 bookings next year as a result of postponements when 2020 was their busiest year ever.

Glad to see you're throwing your hat back in the ring!

Good for you, I'm pleased for you ... genuinely ... but I wonder of you are in the minority.

Good for you, I'm pleased for you ... genuinely ... but I wonder of you are in the minority.

I wasn't using the royal "we" I know many photographers who are now *very* busy next year. There hasn't been that many cancellations in the scheme of things, more lots of postponements.

Just to put the opposite point (for the sake of completeness) - I make it a rule never to buy from any vendor who forgets the basic rule of business: "the customer is always right". As a vendor myself I've always traded that way and it has worked for me.

It’s going to largely depend on the size of the wedding photographers ego.

Only an idiot gives RAWs away.

Like the "pro"who shot my daughter's wedding.

She was unhappy with the album so he sent her every shot he took.

Even the out of focus ones.

Even the upskirt ones of one of the bridesmaid's he took a liking to.

Cue the court proceedings.

you have your own camera and lenses obviously so why not get a friend to quietly use your gear to take some shots while the PRO is posing you . you then have your own RAW files to play with at leisure ,plus some done by the PRO in the style you like .. just look at it as a back up .. the PRO won't even know as theres always people at weddings with there own cameras

It’s going to largely depend on the size of the wedding photographers ego.

It's nothing to do with ego. Final delivery of a product depends on many things, as you develop your own style that includes editing in a way that suits how you shoot. There's lots of pre-bought presets around that look great on the websites selling them, but lots of people buy them then complain they can't get them to look like that - and it's because they don't expose images in the same way that the person who made the presets does.

I'd say no to the request, not because I think my style is better for the couple. But because if someone asked me to deliver in a completely different style than I shoot in, I would not deliver as good an end result as I would normally deliver when shooting in *my* style.

Is this a joke?

EditIng style is just as important as shooting style. I would run a mile from a client that asked questions like this.

you have your own camera and lenses obviously so why not get a friend to quietly use your gear to take some shots while the PRO is posing you . you then have your own RAW files to play with at leisure ,plus some done by the PRO in the style you like .. just look at it as a back up .. the PRO won't even know as theres always people at weddings with there own cameras

Awful advice!

Catherine obviously wants professional quality photos so it's very doubtful that giving a friend her camera is going to achieve that.

Is this a joke?

EditIng style is just as important as shooting style. I would run a mile from a client that asked questions like this.
TBH if I was the client I would run a mile from you!
Customer question/preference a joke?
Customer not allowed to question the product?
You may not wish to vary your shooting/editing style and that is your right but equally it is the right of the buyer of a service to question the service.

It's nothing to do with ego. Final delivery of a product depends on many things, as you develop your own style that includes editing in a way that suits how you shoot. There's lots of pre-bought presets around that look great on the websites selling them, but lots of people buy them then complain they can't get them to look like that - and it's because they don't expose images in the same way that the person who made the presets does.

I'd say no to the request, not because I think my style is better for the couple. But because if someone asked me to deliver in a completely different style than I shoot in, I would not deliver as good an end result as I would normally deliver when shooting in *my* style.
I don’t think they are being asked to shoot in a different style, just to go easy on the sliders.

Purely FWIW and my perceptions.

A bride will seek out a photographer with whom they hope to feel comfortable and content with the final images based on her seeing the photographer's website portfolios......and that includes the editing aspect of his/her style.

What you are suggesting/thinking about is like your booking the caterer having tasted the food and love the way it was presented on the plate, you ask them to add paprika to all the dishes (including the dessert!) because you 'love the reddish colour it gives your food & the smokey flavour is oh so lovely.....'. Yes, the chef may comply with your wishes but then why should he because you are in effect telling him how to do his job??? NB my loose analogy based on the food could of course be extended, equally loosely, he could simply leave all the raw ingredients for you to cook how you wish ;)

PS if all the portfolios are processed in the same style & the other aspects(?) of the "style" are what you like.......I do wonder (a) why doesn't the photographer exhibit other processing 'styles' and (b) without such alternative 'looks', even if he/she was willing to process 'your way'......without examples how can he/she be sure that it will meet your expectations and how can you be sure they will meet yours as well???

Last edited:
I don’t think they are being asked to shoot in a different style, just to go easy on the sliders.

He would be being asked to deliver dark and moody as opposed to light and airy.

To do that well, requires them to be exposed differently.

As others have said, I think it's best to find a wedding photographer who can deliver the style and content you are happy with, rather than asking someone to shoot in what amounts to a completely different style. The photographer you are thinking of would only have your description of what you are looking for to go from, and his understanding of that might not be entirely correct, so there could be a high potential for disappointment?

As for giving you the RAWs, if you were an established pro photographer would you let a complete stranger play around editing a set of your photos, leaving you with no control or say whatsoever over the published results? I certainly wouldn't!

Last edited:
Guys - just a reminder that the poster is a real person, and not a target for the venting of wrath. Disagree, but without anger or mocking.

When I did get paid to shoot, not weddings though, I produced what the client wanted. I was not so great a photographer that I could impose my ideas on customers although I would suggest. That is one reason why being an amateur is so much better, I can do what I like.
To the OP, if it is just the processing you are unhappy with, just ask, it is not disrespectful. You might be surprised at the response.

Any professional will listen to an polite request and may relish the challenge of shooting to a different brief to their normal, and editing style is easier to adjust than the shooting style.

Also artists styles change - Picasso had his blue period, his rose period, his cubist period, and photographers are no different.

So politely ask. They can either say yes or no, although they're unlikely to sell the RAWs.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to sit down and talk to him about what you want. Explain how you like his style but want a more moody feel. I've got to be honest, wanting moody images on a wedding day sounds confusing to me, so it probably needs explaining in more detail to him. Moody for all off them? Or maybe just to capture the tension before?

I'd forget about talking about editing. He may not do any and rely entirely on getting good light. He may contract it out. If he bought LR presets from a YouTuber though, and just slaps them on all the images, he 'aint going to be telling you that.

Tell him what result you want and let him worry about how to achieve it. Presumably he's an expert, and presumably he knows what he's doing. Find some images that illustrate what you mean by "moody" and show him so you're both thinking along the same lines.

Asking for the files is probably a common request so he's unlikely to be upset by that. It's probably quite normal to supply you with acceptable quality files for you to work with. It's probably also quite normal to supply jpegs rather than raw as I would expect a professional to supply you with a finished product rather than a half finished one.

Either way - good luck in your search. I wish I'd spent more time on choosing a photographer for our wedding. We didn't have much money, and photography was just one of the things that had to get cut back on. We got what we paid for.

When I did get paid to shoot, not weddings though, I produced what the client wanted. I was not so great a photographer that I could impose my ideas on customers although I would suggest. That is one reason why being an amateur is so much better, I can do what I like.
To the OP, if it is just the processing you are unhappy with, just ask, it is not disrespectful. You might be surprised at the response.

Wedding photography is different to being a "photographer" that just turns up and shoots what a clients asks for and edits how they want as you would do say for commercial photography.

As a wedding photographer I don't shoot what the client tells me to shoot. I work based on own way of doing things and that includes everything from the way I shoot to the way the images are edited.

The clients books us based on if they like that style or not. If they don't then they need to book someone else, I know a lot of other wedding photographers I don't know of any that would change how they do things to suit a client who prefers a completely different type of style. The difference here just isn't in editing style the photographer would need to change how images are exposed as well, a completely different style and polar opposite of what they normally do.

There are some budget wedding photographers around that will tailor how they do things to the client. I have never seen anybody good though who does that.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to sit down and talk to him about what you want. Explain how you like his style but want a more moody feel. I've got to be honest, wanting moody images on a wedding day sounds confusing to me, so it probably needs explaining in more detail to him. Moody for all off them? Or maybe just to capture the tension before?

I'd forget about talking about editing. He may not do any and rely entirely on getting good light. He may contract it out. If he bought LR presets from a YouTuber though, and just slaps them on all the images, he 'aint going to be telling you that.

Tell him what result you want and let him worry about how to achieve it. Presumably he's an expert, and presumably he knows what he's doing. Find some images that illustrate what you mean by "moody" and show him so you're both thinking along the same lines.

Asking for the files is probably a common request so he's unlikely to be upset by that. It's probably quite normal to supply you with acceptable quality files for you to work with. It's probably also quite normal to supply jpegs rather than raw as I would expect a professional to supply you with a finished product rather than a half finished one.

Either way - good luck in your search. I wish I'd spent more time on choosing a photographer for our wedding. We didn't have much money, and photography was just one of the things that had to get cut back on. We got what we paid for.

Asking for raw files is very much a very uncommon request and the vast majority of wedding photographers would run away if a client asked for that.

I am about over 6 years in and over 300 weddings in and I have never been asked that.

Everyone seems to be getting so heated! Chill. Yes, I think handing over raw files is a total no-no.

But why on earth someone wouldn't be open to be asked if they could edit differently is beyond me. It might even be quite interesting.

And why should wedding people be any different from any other service provider? A wedding is a wedding, Yes, because weddings have been built into such a fetish, total reliability is vital - but what's wrong with being a bit flexible. If the guy hates the idea, he only has to say no.

Snip:
And why should wedding people be any different from any other service provider? A wedding is a wedding, Yes, because weddings have been built into such a fetish, total reliability is vital - but what's wrong with being a bit flexible. If the guy hates the idea, he only has to say no.

No matter how many times a person gets married these days, there is normally only one wedding ceremony & reception per time, so that's the only chance a photographer has to get it right and deliver the goods to the expected standard. That's the difference between 'wedding people' and many other service providers.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be getting so heated! Chill. Yes, I think handing over raw files is a total no-no.

But why on earth someone wouldn't be open to be asked if they could edit differently is beyond me. It might even be quite interesting.

There's certainly no harm in asking.

But they're also not that different to other vendors, in that they have a style and a brand. If you go to a restaurant that specialises in vegetarian food and order a steak, it's likely not going to be the best steak in the world and it's not going to be as good as their veggie food.

No harm in asking. He can only say no. Though I’d ask to sit differently rather than for the RAW files as that’s more likely.

Back