How about teaching people how to drive in the first place, and with regular reassessments over the years?
My daughters (22 and 28 years old) both passed their tests many years ago and still cannot drive in my opinion. None of their friends can park or reverse. They've not been involved in any accidents, are very sensible but would have no idea how to react in a emergency.
I agree. Look at my own driving history, which is pretty typical, I think, for someone of my age.
First vehicle was an old moped in 1961, 16 years old. Before that it was a pedal bike.
Moved up to a small motorbike, then larger ones.
Most people at that time then went on to a bike and sidecar, but I didn’t go that route.
Had a low-speed but bad crash, learned from that and so moved to cars.
Couldn’t afford driving lessons so learned by driving cars and vans owned by friends, gained loads of valuable experience that way.
Booked driving test, had 4 lessons.
First car was a wreck, couldn’t afford garages so had to learn how to maintain and repair it, which is important – most drivers today have no idea.
At 21 I was driving HGV’s, different vehicle every time, to put food on the table whilst at uni
Over time, have had a licence for everything except PSV. Also have experience of driving agricultural machinery, some of which is massive.
Now age-barred from everything except a car, and I can feel my skills slipping – but I can still manoeuvre in tiny spaces, based on past experience of driving countless different types of vehicle, and of course I can estimate exactly how much space say an artic needs at a junction.
Today, people don’t learn to drive, they learn to pass a test, which is very different, and they take their test in a small car that’s easy to drive, and then they typically buy a similar car.
Yes, some young drivers are incompetent; they are also wildly overconfident, they drive stupidly – but this isn’t limited to young people, and I think that there’s a real problem with some of the old drivers who just won’t accept that they are no longer fit to drive safely. They carry on because they want to be independent, but many of them are a menace.