Is there any piece of equipment that

Edit My Images
No
I can transfer pictures from a Canon 400D or 450D

without the use of a computer to free up space on the card

As im going on holiday and only have a 4GB card...

so just wondering?

Thanks,dave0493

Yes there are loads of photo storage devices, different capacities. Have a look at warehouse express. They cost about as much as a decent laptop though!

Yes there are loads of photo storage devices, different capacities. Have a look at warehouse express. They cost about as much as a decent laptop though!

Ok thanks

I will take a look at warehouse express..cheers!

dave0493

Something like a Jobo (think they do one for £99) but you cant actually view the pictures once transferred to the device, its just a portable hard drive that displays some EXIF data of each shot.

If you want to transfer, empty the memory card and then view the pictures on the storage device, then something like the Epson P-3000 is very good, or Jobo Giga-Vue Evolution.

However, they cost serious money (minimum £300).

Check www.cameraworld.co.uk as I think the Epsons are on special offer there at the moment and IIRC, the P-3000 can be had for circa £240.

Hope that helps(y)

Surely it would be cheaper and save a great deal of weight/space to buy a spare CF card or two

Have a look in the for sale section there's a databank going for £40

I did think that too....you can get a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III for about £17.99

i know but im kinda wanting more memory than an 8gb card or 4gb card.

And i dont want to be fiddiling around with diffrent cards:(

Lol admit it, you're a closet gadget freak like the rest of us and you've managed to convince yourself and more importantly the missus that a spare CF card just doesnt cut it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but after seeing the cost of the epson 3000 etc. I thought there was no option but taking the chance with multiple CF cards when away travelling to keep images safe.

I did a bit of searching and came across this product http://www.cbadigital.co.uk/photobank.htm which although doesn't have any viewing capabilities does seem to have a pretty good size/capacity ratio for just backing up cards to keep the images safe?

Before splashing out has anyone got any experience of this bit of kit and can either recommend/or not?

I would have thought that the cheapest way is to buy more cards. 2GB Cf cards are so cheap these days.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but after seeing the cost of the epson 3000 etc. I thought there was no option but taking the chance with multiple CF cards when away travelling to keep images safe.

I did a bit of searching and came across this product http://www.cbadigital.co.uk/photobank.htm which although doesn't have any viewing capabilities does seem to have a pretty good size/capacity ratio for just backing up cards to keep the images safe?

Before splashing out has anyone got any experience of this bit of kit and can either recommend/or not?

Although I do suppose that for the amount of storage you get, that piece of kit is a bit cheaper than cards.

I've never used that sort of thing myself and although I think I'd rather have extra cards, I can sort of see its appeal. Just need to be careful you don't loose it or drop it down the toilet or something other disaster.

Although I do suppose that for the amount of storage you get, that piece of kit is a bit cheaper than cards.

I've never used that sort of thing myself and although I think I'd rather have extra cards, I can sort of see its appeal. Just need to be careful you don't loose it or drop it down the toilet or something other disaster.

Hence why I posted the question as 60gb storage for £69 seemed a pretty good deal and actually about the same as buying multiple cards, agree with the dropping it issue though!!!!!

Hence why I posted the question as 60gb storage for £69 seemed a pretty good deal and actually about the same as buying multiple cards, agree with the dropping it issue though!!!!!

Yes, on a money basis, it looks like a no brainer to go for the device. It looks small enough and I'm sure it'll do a fine job.

I suppose you have to think about the problems you might have with battery life and stuff like that and I suspect there's far more chance of it breaking down than there is of a hand full of CF cards all chucking their hand in at the same time.

I still think I'd air on the side of extra cards though.

Flippin' eck, that's cheap. Although I can't help thinking that a 16GB card to just too big. I suppose at that sort of price its not a complete disaster if it packs up. I'd always been a little concerned that if I spent a load of money on a large capacity card that there was so much to loose if it went wrong or got lost. Not including the money, you could have a serious number of photos go west if you last a big card like that.

Mind you, I was saying that about 1GB cards when they first came out. Maybe I need to catch up with the times.

Now I feel like a grumpy old fart! Where's the beer? That'll cheer me up.

For me, extra cards all the way.
Back when cards were expensive (Talking £20+ for 256Mb here) I had a portable storage device. Never again. The device had a display, but having a gizmo tell me my pictures were all nicely saved and believing it when I formatted my card to start shooting were worlds apart.
Now I will just keep buying CF cards of approx 4-8Gb

If I need portable storage now I bought a cheap dell X300 laptop on ebay (Under £130) which has a 60Gb hard drive, is light and has a decent screen for verifying photos. Much more like it.

If you are really 'honest' about editing and only stick to the real keepers, you can get a heck of a lot of fine pictures on a 4Gig card. Just delete the rubbish as you go. If you get desperate for space, stop shooting Raw :eek:

And carry a couple of spare cards - they're so cheap :)

Richard.

i bought one of these in case i filled up my 8gb and 2 x 4gb cards when i went away for a fortnight last week. it did the backups a treat. i deleted the crap on my card as i went along and protected them as well. at the end of the hols i had just about refilled the cards and one backup of each on the drive.

I put together an 80GB backup device for under £40 by buying the device without a drive and then buying an 80GB 2.5" drive for it. I got both off ebay.

Back