Is Wi-Fi calling any good ?

I've just had a notification from Three saying that it is now no longer supported. :(

It's still working at least, but I suppose it's time I looked for a new phone and contract . . .
I chatted to Three online about this. They said basically relax, they're upgrading their network, and I'll have a decent signal before the cut-off of May 15th. What they're doing is probably along the ines of what @Dave1 described:
VoLTE actually adds an extra frequency to the spectrum, only VoLTE enabled phones can use this low frequency 800MHz band, this gives much greater distance from a cell site and greater in-building penetration when compared to the standard 1800MHz Three operate their 4G on.

It extends so much further in many areas that it can be the only coverage available, if they allowed non-VoLTE phones to use it they wouldn’t have any 3G to drop down to in order to make calls, hence why VoLTE only is allowed to connect..
So I'm going to give it a week or 10 days before I push the panic button. I'll do the research as to what my best non-Three option is, but seeing as how I'm only paying £9.00 per month for unlimited voice, texts and data, I'm reluctant to jump ship if I don't have to!

I'll do the research as to what my best non-Three option is, but seeing as how I'm only paying £9.00 per month for unlimited voice, texts and data, I'm reluctant to jump ship if I don't have to!

Indeed - I'm the same. It's a good deal that I'm sure won't be beaten. My phone is a few years old now, but I'm not a kid who needs a new one every year. Once I retired I gave up contracts. I don't really want to have to start another now.

I'll probably get a new phone if I have to, but I like the one I have.

seeing as how I'm only paying £9.00 per month for unlimited voice, texts and data, I'm reluctant to jump ship if I don't have to!

You’re paying less than me ;), that deal is costing me £12 a month.

I was using a OnePlus 5T until recently which would do native WiFi Calling but not VoLTE, so I ended up buying a Honor 10 Lite as a stopgap as I was working in a part of Northumberland that only has 800MHz coverage on Three (no VoLTE = no coverage there) and after using it for 2 weeks I’ve decided to keep the Honor and sell the OnePlus, even though the OnePlus on paper is a far superior phone the Honor is actually just as good and even bests the OnePlus for battery life and will stream HD from Netflix, SkyGo and Prime while the OnePlus could only stream in SD.

Reactions: Sky
Back