Is Wi-Fi calling any good ?

Edit My Images
Yes
No mobile phone reception in my house is killing me and im thinking of getting a contract that will enable me to use Wi-Fi calling.

I have a suitable phone and Wi-Fi but I wanted to find out from real users about their experience of taking and giving calls on it.

The websites and providers give a very rosy ideal view of it to get readers or customers but as we know things are never that simple lol.

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in an old flat, and the only way I could get a call at all was wifi calling (on EE). I found it worked, and was 100% better than nothing.... actually it worked pretty well for me, and it was internally over a wifi powerline hotspot extender too.

OP
OP
Caerus
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in an old flat, and the only way I could get a call at all was wifi calling (on EE). I found it worked, and was 100% better than nothing.... actually it worked pretty well for me, and it was internally over a wifi powerline hotspot extender too.
Thank you

Edit My Images
Yes
The only problem i have had with it is when the mobile and wifi signals fight for the call. I think it is better now, but I used to get a lot of dropped calls and silences as the fight went on. If I know the other end has an Apple phone I prefer to use FaceTime audio

OP
OP
Caerus
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll also mention it was on an iphone, I don't know if android would be any different?
I have an iPhone SE which is listed on the Vodafone website as ok to use with wifi calling.

I quit Android after getting problems with several of them.

Edit My Images
No
WiFi calling is why I just upgraded my iPhone to an 8. It works well for me now though it was hopeless on my old 5. I'm on the 3 network.

StewartR

Efrem Zimbalist Jr
Advertiser
Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a rubbish signal where I live. I'm on Three and my house is less than a mile from Three's UK headquarters, and there are plenty of masts, but there's something a bit weird about the topology which means there's a tiny little black spot .. and my house is in it. So I use WiFi calling via Three's app and it's fine, on both my old phone (Samsung S6) and my new one (Xiaomi A2). I have a macro thingy on my phone to automatically enable the WiFi calling whenever it senses that I'm at my home location so I can't get caught out by it.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
No mobile phone reception in my house is killing me and im thinking of getting a contract that will enable me to use Wi-Fi calling.

I have a suitable phone and Wi-Fi but I wanted to find out from real users about their experience of taking and giving calls on it.

The websites and providers give a very rosy ideal view of it to get readers or customers but as we know things are never that simple lol.
As long as your phone supports built in WiFicalling it works well, there are people who think using an app is the same (as technically it is a call over WiFi) but it’s pretty crap in comparison to native WiFicalling and why a lot of people still think it doesn’t work all that well.

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a terrible signal in most places I go, so I use WiFi calling ninety percent of the time (even at home). It can drop in and out a bit at times, but then that's no different to the phone network anyway IME.

You just have to remember that if you're on a call in an area where there is a mobile signal, but you're using WiFi; when you move away from the WiFi source, the call will be dropped - it won't switch over to mobile automatically. At least mine doesn't anyway (I'm using Three).

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
but you're using WiFi; when you move away from the WiFi source, the call will be dropped - it won't switch over to mobile automatically. At least mine doesn't anyway (I'm using Three).
It will transfer over if you are in a VoLTE (4G Calling) capable area, the problem with Three is they don’t have much VoLTE operating over their standard 1800MHz 4G network yet. If you happen to be in a Supervoice area (what Three call their low frequency 800MHz coverage) it will switch over, as it will in the limited areas so far rolled out for VoLTE on 1800MHz.

EE for example, allows VoLTE on all frequencies so VoWiFi (WiFicalling) will always switch to VoLTE (4G Calling) if you’re on 4G.