Isolation: Any Gamers? Even Old Ones?

Just logged into my Epic account for the first time in ages (some games came free with my new computer) and I notice they have World War Z free for a limited time. Just had a quick blast with it and it's a lot of fun - and somehow appropriate for the times :)

I also checked UbiSoft and noticed that since I last played Assassin's Creed (um, 2008?) there seem to be a *lot* of options. Anybody know a good way to get started with this? Do I just buy the classic game for about 3 quid and work my way through the saga or can I jump into one of the other story lines with a bundle?
all pretty standalone. rarely if any need for the back story.

Not really into games - but can see myself getting my original PS1 out of mothballs and giving Abe’s Exoddus a bit of a workout - only game that came close to holding my attention for any length of time........

The only game I have ever played is Space Invaders.
Do any of you have any suggestions for simple basic computer games to pass a few hour with please ?
I don't have any controllers or whatever, just a mouse and keyboard...

Do any of you have any suggestions for simple basic computer games to pass a few hour with please ?

It depends on the sort of games you like really as well as your budget and your PC spec.

Platformer, arcade, turn based, first person shooter, racing, strategy, rpg, multiplayer, simulator?

I have a platform called Steam which acts as a games library and storefront. All the games have reviews, and you can sort by the sort of thing you're interested in, wishlist things, and keep an eye out for sales etc. Sites like Green Man Gaming will often sell a key for Steam - again with decent sales at times. Other places like GoG also have some great deals an allow you to download just teh game rather than being tied into a platform (like Steam)

Anyway, my wife quite liked Chicken Invaders which is £3.99 and will probably run on a potato. Audiosurf is quite a good, simple racer that builds a track based on the music on your PC. And cheap. One Finger Death punch is a lively beat-'em-up with relatively simple controls. Defense Grid Awakening is a nice tower defence game with a good few hours in it. Relseased in 2008 it will likely run on anything modern quite happily.

The only game I have ever played is Space Invaders.
I don't have any controllers or whatever, just a mouse and keyboard...

I think you can get these on the PC, but certainly on Android.

Plague Inc. Perhaps a little close to the bone at the moment, but it's a very addictive game and I believe it uses pretty complex epidemic models etc.
First Strike. Good fun, gets addictive as well.

If you are looking for old games to play then it might worth having a rummage in the Internet Archive https://archive.org/details/software which has loads of old games you can play.
MS-DOS, Atari, Amiga, ZX Spectrum, C64 etc.
I haven't tried it but it's supposed to be fun :LOL:
It depends on the sort of games you like really as well as your budget and your PC spec.

Platformer, arcade, turn based, first person shooter, racing, strategy, rpg, multiplayer, simulator?

I have a platform called Steam which acts as a games library and storefront. All the games have reviews, and you can sort by the sort of thing you're interested in, wishlist things, and keep an eye out for sales etc. Sites like Green Man Gaming will often sell a key for Steam - again with decent sales at times. Other places like GoG also have some great deals an allow you to download just teh game rather than being tied into a platform (like Steam)

Anyway, my wife quite liked Chicken Invaders which is £3.99 and will probably run on a potato. Audiosurf is quite a good, simple racer that builds a track based on the music on your PC. And cheap. One Finger Death punch is a lively beat-'em-up with relatively simple controls. Defense Grid Awakening is a nice tower defence game with a good few hours in it. Relseased in 2008 it will likely run on anything modern quite happily.
I think you can get these on the PC, but certainly on Android.

Plague Inc. Perhaps a little close to the bone at the moment, but it's a very addictive game and I believe it uses pretty complex epidemic models etc.
First Strike. Good fun, gets addictive as well.
Try Armor Games. It's free and has loads of simple and some complicated flash games. You can search by popularity and genre.
You can get a basic HTML5 version of Space Invaders that'll play in your web browser.
Thanks for all the replies - I'll have a look at your suggestions.
I guess I'm not going to be playing any shoot'em up games, pc is nothing fast and graphics card is basic.
Racing sounds good (as a side note, I'm a biker, and about 6 weeks ago I decided to upgrade my Freesat TV to BT sport purely for the MotoGp......)
I'll wait for a rainy day and do some research - thanks all !

Any *legitimate* sources where I can get Doom and its sequels? I used to really love Doom - not enough to pay £50 for the new version though :)

I've seen some sites where you can d/l some of the older versions - but none of them look like they are entirely legal.

Last edited:
The 2016 Doom "reboot" can be had for a fiver if you shop around
https://www.google.com/search?q=Doo...ECB0QBQ&biw=1332&bih=1268&safe=active&ssui=on
Very good 2010's FPS in its own right, feels spot on as a modern day take on Doom fomula. It's very similar to the recently released Doom Eternal in gameplay (Eternal costs £43 because it's a brand new AAA title).

The classic 1993 Doom and sequals bundle, can be had on Steam for a tenner:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/18397/

Or just play a few levels of classic Doom through your browser here:
https://playclassic.games/games/first-person-shooter-dos-games-online/play-doom-online/

Doom used to make me cronically motion sick every session I played on it. Nothing else has ever done that. Racing sims or COD would give me a on off slight queasyness if I hadn't played for a while but was fine next session. Doom was something else.

Gran Tourismo 3 A Spec on PS2 was a killer for burning time. The next 2 versions were lame in the game play stakes compared to GT3.

Still have original PS3 with a few games, Heavenly Sword was a favourite. Bought an xbox one as a bluray player with a couple of games, but again hardly used for games. Fired up the old PSone in the man cave at the weekend and it still worked, also a snes with 1 game but TV cable missing but would be great to get one and see.

I'll give them all a go as today was my last day at work but only as a treat after getting some jobs done.

Ooo thanks - I think 2016 for a fiver might be the winner :) I kind of fancy playing the original for nostalgia but the 2016 looks pretty nice.

Used to play Medal of Hono(u)r in a clan, that was fun, also big fan of the total war series and Diablo for a bit of hack n slash. A few years ago my interest sort of dropped off a cliff overnight for some strange reason and now I play little other than golf clash on an android emulator on the PC

Ooo thanks - I think 2016 for a fiver might be the winner :) I kind of fancy playing the original for nostalgia but the 2016 looks pretty nice.

Ah the joys of PC gaming....
  1. Create an account on resellers site - pay money
  2. Reactivate old Steam account
  3. Download Steam
  4. Download Doom - hmm, 60GB - I remember when it was 10 floppies.......
  5. (Next day because 60 gig)
  6. Start Doom - wonder why nothing is happening
  7. Turn on monitor 3 - find it run there in horrid res
  8. Reboot, Google, play with config files
  9. Reboot
  10. Disconnect monitor
  11. Graphics work - but no sound
  12. Re pair BT headphones. Still no sound.
  13. Swap to cable - horrid bg hum.
  14. Jiggle cable - sorted
  15. and then......................................................................................…..OMG - IT'S DOOM!!!!!!
Just like the old days but absolutely terrifying :D

32 inch 4K graphics really do look a lot better than when I used to play in an an office CRT monitor in 1024 * 768 :D

Although I am not locked down, i have recently installed my old steam account on my mac, and have just restarted Half Life (and the sequels etc!)
absolutely loving it.. even after 22 years!!!!!

even played some TFC and Counter Strike online.

could really get back into old skool gaming

Have Xbox One, but could never get on with playing FPS with a controller

Downloading half life alyx, my remaining eve online character has 329 million skill points :rolleyes:

Videogame wise, I’m set for at least ten year lockdown.

I have my (backwards compatible) PS3 set up for my PS1, PS2 & P3 games, and my PS4 set up for the few VR games that I own.

On the Nintendo front, I have my N64, Gamecube and WII U (also plays WII games) and Switch. Also connected to my TV is my Retron 5 clone console, for my SNES and Gameboy & Gameboy Advance games. It also plays my Sega Mega Drive games, but I prefer to play them on my Analogue Mega SG.

Not connected, but also available are my Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast and original Xbox consoles, my Vectrex and my Virtual Boy.

For some reason my wife thinks I’ve got too many games machines! :)

I've started to delve into ARMA 3's editor and whilst a fairly steep learning curve this opens up an insane amount of variations and replay value. Apparently there's a huge modding community which I've not even looked at yet. Then there's a load of DLC as well. This is proper long game material.

I also played the first two Metro games and found them surprisingly good. Tempted to try the third one when it comes down in price.

CoH series obvious classics.
Dead Island was good fun.

Military strategy perhaps worth a look arer Order of War and Wargame Red Dragon.

For some short free fun there's Transmissions Element 120

Red Dead 2 on the Xbox One s is very impressive but it's a slow burn and I found myself fading. Perhaps too story driven, even though there's a huge sand box element.

Destiny 2 on the xbox, moved to the TV while the wife is working from home and using my desk. It's FPS but the PvE stuff can be a lot less stressful.

iRacing for evening and weekend. You really need a steering wheel/pedals set for that though. Do the iRacing in VR which is much better than the single monitor I had it on previously.

Ah the joys of PC gaming....
Sorry but this entire post had me in stitches. I laughed at your misfortune but the end result was truly worth it. o7

Apparently there's a huge modding community
I never thought I'd mod anything but now have 7 mods to my name in teh Steam workshop. One "make this game f-ing easy plz" mod for Stellaris and lots of crap for XCOM2.

Tabletop Simulator has been on my wishlist for a while. Today it is on sale, so I grabbed it. Just opened it up to figure out how it all works and there's a jigsaw mode.
Wait... I can make a jigsaw from my photos?

I think I'm going to be an Isolation master.

httrewhrtwhtrw.JPG

Ive ordered the first Walking Dead game for PS3, supposed to be quite good.

Telltale version? I really enjoyed the series. Well worth the money.

Telltale version? I really enjoyed the series. Well worth the money.

Yes, but went through episode one in about 2 hours, honestly, I liked the intensity and the having to make decisions that were not a black and white / yes or no, but was a bit disappointed overall :-(

I used to run a Comodore 64 , P.S 1 , megadrive and a Snes . Think the Snes was my fave and should of kept it . I brought an Xbox 360 Early this year , got a handful of games to play , I soon burned through the call of Duty and medal of Honour games , and sniper elite . I love those first person shooter games , any other recommendations on those anyone ? I couldn`t find any tank games which was disappointing , except for world of tanks which was online only . I got Ace combat , and Apache , Halo and Metal gear solid series to play through yet . Finding Street Fighter lV really hard getting my but kicked even in easy mode ??? Find it really hard to pull off the combos . Will try Teken 6 sometime .

I played a few minutes of dirt 2 yesterday, I never play for much longer as that’s all the time I need to wreck the car, or for the wife to decide there’s something else for me to do.

Hennyways......

I thought it was a nice touch that all the ‘in race’ sponsored advertising signage had been changed to ‘Stay at Home’!!!

XCOM2 Long War of the Chosen Dev build 15 released. That's me happy!

20170929203228_1.jpg

Onto Final Fantasy XIII! I still remember the first one on my Gameboy!!

A few years ago I did a Final Fantasy wedding. IIRC the bride was either a play tester or reasonably well known in the gaming community - she had played all of the FF series (even the dodgy Japanese ones). First dance was to some of the music. The groom was more into Assassin's Creed.

Green Man Gaming Spring sale has launched with some great deals.

Won't link direct, because people can use search. Pretty much you will be buying a Steam key or an Epic games key. Apparently some people lose their s**t when people mention Epic so fair warning to double check the store to make sure you're getting a key for a company you find to be acceptable.

Just picked up Deep Sky Derelicts definitive edition for a tenner, and other games such as Golf Club 2019 and Grid 2019 are tempting me on a regular basis. Lots of cheap FPS too but that's not my thing. I like Mac so linking his summary here...

View: https://youtu.be/682PtK_LEMI

Finally decided my GTX 1050Ti was due an upgrade. It's been a great card, excellent value for money and I've had it along time. Not being a big gamer there's no point going silly so I still look for a good balance between price and performance. Ended up with the GTX 1660 Super (MSI version) and what a step up. ARMA 3 on max settings in 2K - no problem, same for Ghost Recon. Added bonus is I'm now eyeing up VR stuff :D

Back