Isolation: Any Gamers? Even Old Ones?

Thanks Harlequin. I'll have to try non-VR mode with K&M.

I'm so close to getting VR, probably the Quest 2 but it still seems like there's only a handful of good games?
With Oculus focusing solely on Quest platform, there will be many more good games released on this. Anything getting funds from Oculus, you can be sure it'll get a release on the Quest 2. For example Medal of Honour is releasing in December. Lone Echo 2 soon, GRON is getting a Quest release. There is also a Star Wars game soon next year.

Currently, I agree Quest platform only has a handful of good games. I mainly use my Quest 1 as wireless PC VR headset, playing in the living room while my computer is in the smaller study. On PC, there are many very good AAA VR games: Half Life Alyx, Boneworks, Asgard's Wraith, Lone Echo, etc.

But I think of VR headset as a gaming accessory rather than a games console. It's a different mode of input/output from the PC. So having one helps me to experience more types of gaming. Just like I wouldn't play GTA5 and Battlefield with just keyboard and mouse, I'd have a controller nearby for the flying sections.

Last edited:
Thanks Harlequin. I'll have to try non-VR mode with K&M.

With Oculus focusing solely on Quest platform, there will be many more good games released on this. Anything getting funds from Oculus, you can be sure it'll get a release on the Quest 2. For example Medal of Honour is releasing in December. Lone Echo 2 soon, GRON is getting a Quest release. There is also a Star Wars game soon next year.

Currently, I agree Quest platform only has a handful of good games. I mainly use my Quest 1 as wireless PC VR headset, playing in the living room while my computer is in the smaller study. On PC, there are many very good AAA VR games: Half Life Alyx, Boneworks, Asgard's Wraith, Lone Echo, etc.

But I think of VR headset as a gaming accessory rather than a games console. It's a different mode of input/output from the PC. So having one helps me to experience more types of gaming. Just like I wouldn't play GTA5 and Battlefield with just keyboard and mouse, I'd have a controller nearby for the flying sections.

Thanks, I'll keep my peepers peeled.

Been enjoying fantasy RPG's recently. Finished Dragon Age Inquisition a few weeks ago which inspired me to play Skyrim again.

Anybody recommend a *completely offline* game? Something I can pick up and play for an hour or two and then forget about for a couple of weeks? Like Doom maybe without the phone home.

(For the curious....last night my internet went down completely. This isn't that unusual in the evening but it's very common to get v-e-r-y s-l-o-w internet. Obviously my Zoom Tai Chi session was out. I know, I'll watch TV - nope, no streaming. How about some music? Spotify is out. Read a book? Need the Kindle store to get a new one. Ah, I'll play Doom! Just connecting to servers to check for upgrade.....)

Anybody recommend a *completely offline* game? Something I can pick up and play for an hour or two and then forget about for a couple of weeks? Like Doom maybe without the phone home.

(For the curious....last night my internet went down completely. This isn't that unusual in the evening but it's very common to get v-e-r-y s-l-o-w internet. Obviously my Zoom Tai Chi session was out. I know, I'll watch TV - nope, no streaming. How about some music? Spotify is out. Read a book? Need the Kindle store to get a new one. Ah, I'll play Doom! Just connecting to servers to check for upgrade.....)
Depends on the game you are after.

Skyrim is an offline RPG that could easily sink hours.
Half Life series is offline single player FPS that is genre defining, like Doom.
Wolfenstein New Order and New Colossus are both excellent old school shooters. I haven't played latest "Young Blood", but it is not as well reviewed as previous 2.
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a recent singleplayer-only 3rd person action-adventure game that has excellent gameplay. Must-play for Star Wars fan.
Superhot and its sequel Superhot MCD are short and sweet offline singeplayer game with novel concept.

Depends on the game you are after.

Skyrim is an offline RPG that could easily sink hours.
Half Life series is offline single player FPS that is genre defining, like Doom.
Wolfenstein New Order and New Colossus are both excellent old school shooters. I haven't played latest "Young Blood", but it is not as well reviewed as previous 2.
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a recent singleplayer-only 3rd person action-adventure game that has excellent gameplay. Must-play for Star Wars fan.
Superhot and its sequel Superhot MCD are short and sweet offline singeplayer game with novel concept.

I'm pretty sure I'd love Half Life. But.....like Doom it only seems to be available via Steam. My problem last night was that I couldn't get enough bandwidth to log into Steam to launch a game that was on my hard drive :( I tried a couple of Epic games and they were even worse - wanting to do a 50MB upgrade to the launcher before I could check for updates to the games.

Do they even still make games that don't phone home before letting you play?

ETA: ooooo Superhot looks fun :D

Last edited:
I know Steam has an offline mode, which will allow you to run all Valve singleplayer games offline. Not sure games and launchers from other developers.
To trigger Steam offline mode, you need to be completely offline, eg unplug ethernet cable and/or disconnect from wifi.

Yes, game patches are a giant pain in the backside. Sometimes you just want to jump in for 30min.
I try to remember to run all the game launchers at least once a week so I'm not too far behind their game patches should I want to jump into a game.

Thanks. I'll look for offline mode. And also at getting powershell to run updaters overnight once a week :)

Not sure if you tried, but if you had phone data signal then you could always tether to get the game gong?

Balders Gate 3 for me now. I love late night gaming when wife goes to sleep

Always been a big fan of The Elder Scrolls, recently decided to continue my Skyrim game that I hadn't played for a while and spotted this oddity...

skyrim-strangeness.jpg

I finished Star Wars Squadron singleplayer a few days ago. Great little campaign, another must-play for Star Wars fans., or any space ship pew-pew fan. Played in VR with xbox controller.

Now getting my teeth into Red Dead Redemption 2. All settings maxed out at 1440p, 60 FPS most of the time. The game looks so good and feels so cinematic, like I'm a character in an old Western film.
(upgraded to a second hand factory overclocked EVGA 2080 Ti for £500 when nVidia announced 3000 series in September. The 3070 should perform the same and cost slightly less than £500 with 3GB less VRAM, but good luck finding one in stock)

Oooooh I’m always up for a Skyrim discussion! Had it on the Xbox 360, ps3, PS4, Xbox one and pc! Got the modded version on Xbox one, hands down one of the best games ever. Also a game for just pick up and play and a good laugh is Guts and Glory.

Finally treated myself to a copy of Superhot. WOW. Not only a novel concept but a perfect pick up for 5 mins and put down 3 hours later game :)

Oh course now I'm trying to figure out whether Watch Dogs will be worth the investment....

One for the PC Gamers - you can currently get a free trial of GhostRunner on Steam. I think it's 3 levels and I hear talk of people spending 40 hours+ completing them.....

It's very pretty indeed and extremely addictive. Also, hard.

Been playing Destiny 2 on the PS4 Pro and the Battlefield and Call of Duty series on my PC..

However the game I've been spending a bit of time on is actually World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King

Played it many years ago, but this time I'm using the Dalaran-Wow Private server, and I get to enjoy it (for free) again as I think the later add-ons were crap.

Each to their own, I like racing games, shooting games but sometimes a bit of WoW is good for de-stressing :)

I'm wondering if Cyberpunk 2077 is worth a punt. Not decided and spare time is rather short at the moment.

I'm wondering if Cyberpunk 2077 is worth a punt. Not decided and spare time is rather short at the moment.

I Googled it a while ago and now my newsfeed is full of nothing else :) Not sure that it counts as a game you can pick up if time is short. Apparently the intro to get to the main game is 4 hours.

Really quite tempted by it, but I need to sort broadband first. There's a 0day patch that's 50GB on its own. Given they have allegedly sold half a million copies, it's likely their servers will collapse right about.......now :)

I Googled it a while ago and now my newsfeed is full of nothing else :) Not sure that it counts as a game you can pick up if time is short. Apparently the intro to get to the main game is 4 hours.

Really quite tempted by it, but I need to sort broadband first. There's a 0day patch that's 50GB on its own. Given they have allegedly sold half a million copies, it's likely their servers will collapse right about.......now :)
I've got it on pre-order, hopefully coming tomorrow (y) Although I'm still only half way through Valhalla.

Wow that does sound like there may be a few server hiccups at the start. I'll maybe wait until February when I've got more time.

I downloaded cyberpunk 2077 ahead of getting my digital key from Amazon this morning (all praise the Xbox app for allowing installation ahead of purchase).
Once activated there was just a 16gb update to install before I could start playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have over 17,000 hours on Arma 2 Dayz mod. I had my own popular server for a while, so I was on it near enough every night from 5pm til 11pm During the week And near enough all day weekends.
Recently started playing Dayz standalone. I had a brief flirt with it in 2015 or so, but I’ve just made my own server and quite enjoying it. Not as good as the arma mod though.

I have over 17,000 hours on Arma 2 Dayz mod. I had my own popular server for a while, so I was on it near enough every night from 5pm til 11pm During the week And near enough all day weekends.
Recently started playing Dayz standalone. I had a brief flirt with it in 2015 or so, but I’ve just made my own server and quite enjoying it. Not as good as the arma mod though.

I've not played ARMA 2 but I do have ARMA 3 and probably spent far too much time being sucked into it. It's the procedural generation missions from the workshop which are great, almost unlimited replay value! There's a lot to love about ARMA but my biggest gripe is the reliance on the processor (especially single core reliance) and rather lack of reliance on the GPU. It's a hell of a tricky to get the game running above 30 fps at Ultra Wide 4k.

Looking forward to a rumoured ARMA 4.

I've not played ARMA 2 but I do have ARMA 3 and probably spent far too much time being sucked into it. It's the procedural generation missions from the workshop which are great, almost unlimited replay value! There's a lot to love about ARMA but my biggest gripe is the reliance on the processor (especially single core reliance) and rather lack of reliance on the GPU. It's a hell of a tricky to get the game running above 30 fps at Ultra Wide 4k.

Looking forward to a rumoured ARMA 4.

I tried arma 3 but never got into it really. I’ve never played the actual arma missions, only the dayz mods of both.
Arma 2 runs like a bag of arse at any resolution, especially with zombies and ai on a full 40 pop server. its all script based and using loops so they just pile on to
of each other and drag the server fps down. Once it goes below about 4fps, weirdness occurs.
Thankfully the standalone seems much better optimised, but my computer still struggles to hit 40fps in most cases, but then again it’s quite old now.

I tried arma 3 but never got into it really. I’ve never played the actual arma missions, only the dayz mods of both.
Arma 2 runs like a bag of arse at any resolution, especially with zombies and ai on a full 40 pop server. its all script based and using loops so they just pile on to
of each other and drag the server fps down. Once it goes below about 4fps, weirdness occurs.
Thankfully the standalone seems much better optimised, but my computer still struggles to hit 40fps in most cases, but then again it’s quite old now.

Aye I remember reading up and then testing for myself that one of the biggest killers of performance was ai units. Probably explains why the built in missions are better as they will have limited the ai numbers, but when going mental in a custom made map it's all over lol So it's the scripts which is doing it? Hopefully ARMA 4 will have much better programming.

I'm playing Eve Online (spreadsheets in space)- 14 years and counting! But when I feel the need to blow off steam I head for another oldie - Planetside 2, I'm always the sniper on the hill :)

I suppose it's time I upgraded my aging GTX970 to somehting a bit more current to allow me to run some of the newer games.

I'm playing Eve Online (spreadsheets in space)- 14 years and counting! But when I feel the need to blow off steam I head for another oldie - Planetside 2, I'm always the sniper on the hill :)

I suppose it's time I upgraded my aging GTX970 to somehting a bit more current to allow me to run some of the newer games.

When researching earlier this year I found one of the best bang for bucks graphics card was the GTX 1660 Super and ended up buying one. Great overclocking ability as well (mine is the MSI one). There might be better bang for buck now though seeing as technology moves so quickly.

When researching earlier this year I found one of the best bang for bucks graphics card was the GTX 1660 Super and ended up buying one. Great overclocking ability as well (mine is the MSI one). There might be better bang for buck now though seeing as technology moves so quickly.

I'll give it a look, I'll never be playing the latest games in HDR / 4K / 120fps so the newer 30x0 series and even the 20x0 are probably overkill for me!

GTX 970 is still a great card. I was playing Doom Eternal with it at medium setting.

If you can, it’s worth waiting a few months. 3000 series high end have been released, this new series will get trickled down over next few months. Even if you are not looking for the latest generation, last generation cards should become cheaper to buy as they get replaced.

I’m still using a gtx970 too. Plays dayz and gta5 pretty well still.

I really want to play Battlefield 4 again and World of Warships.
As I have worked all through out both lockdowns, I had not had the spare time like some one who has been fulough to play any gaming, and I miss it ! ! ! !

Have never played any of the Battlefield games, any good ?

Just started Cyberpunk 2077, looks fun.
Same, started at release. Now over 10 hours in, according to stats.

Turning all setting to max, Raytrace looks soooo good. It makes all lighting look authentic and feels right. Along with Control and Deliver the Moon, I now think Raytraced games are the future.

Back