weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

Without wanting to derail your thread into a discussion about lighting, don't underestimate the use of a window on a cloudy day (or a north facing window on any day)... it is the best softbox around (and the cheapest) between the hours of sunrise and sunset!

That's definitely a groaner Chris :D

Well thought out (y)

That's a clever one, I didn't work it out until you explained it.

Good reading about the lighting, it's something I'd like to play around with during this 52. Looks like you did well with this one, did it take you much adjusting to get it right?

That's a clever one, I didn't work it out until you explained it.

Good reading about the lighting, it's something I'd like to play around with during this 52. Looks like you did well with this one, did it take you much adjusting to get it right?
Thanks, it didn't take too much messing about, I had read a few things on line etc. Hardest part was probably clearing off enough space to create a clean background.

Very clever, well done
Thanks

Chris, liking your image for Topical, I had something similar in mind if nothing else popped up. Like the light and the arrangement you chose.

2016-52-LivingWorld by TheWub, on Flickr

I had a few ideas for this theme but a couple of trips out with the camera yesterday finished up with nothing and today was the TP Potholing meet-up. So here we are, actually inside the living world where the water continues to carve out this chamber and the associated cave passages literally changing the shape of the world.

No shoehorns here, of course ;)

Last edited:
Hi Chris. Took me a second or two to work out what it was I was looking at - even momentarily wondered whether I was looking at it upside down before it clicked. Beautiful scene that the majority of us will never see for real. Love the movement in the water and the detail in that cavern roof. :clap:

Hi Chris. Took me a second or two to work out what it was I was looking at - even momentarily wondered whether I was looking at it upside down before it clicked. Beautiful scene that the majority of us will never see for real. Love the movement in the water and the detail in that cavern roof. :clap:

Stunning shot! Great lighting and colous. Must have been a great meet - don't fancy it myself somehow!! Brrr!!

Thanks for commenting. it was a good trip with plenty of experimentation.

Hi Chris, that's a fantastic location for photography... I can only imagine how many really interesting shots you could capture at different times of the day. Sunrise/sunset down there could be spectacular!

I think you've captured the essence of the theme perfectly for me - the world is indeed living, moving, cracking etc. A real effort to get to the place to be able to take that shot, so extra marks for that :) The image also looks very natural - as if you haven't processed it too heavily, which is a bonus. I guess you could lift the shadows to get a bit more detail inside that crack, but it's a great image as is.

Thats a cracking image Chris, and certainly no shoe horn required there, that's for sure (y)

Hi Chris, that's a fantastic location for photography... I can only imagine how many really interesting shots you could capture at different times of the day. Sunrise/sunset down there could be spectacular!

I think you've captured the essence of the theme perfectly for me - the world is indeed living, moving, cracking etc. A real effort to get to the place to be able to take that shot, so extra marks for that :) The image also looks very natural - as if you haven't processed it too heavily, which is a bonus. I guess you could lift the shadows to get a bit more detail inside that crack, but it's a great image as is.
Although that location is not far from the surface daylight is not visible from the camera location, it was done with some really bright LED lights and there is not really any processing apart from a slight crop/rotation. Thanks for the encouraging comments

Thats a cracking image Chris, and certainly no shoe horn required there, that's for sure (y)
Thanks Chris, I was chuffed with it. It's nice to have enough lighting and be able to take the time to set it up, so many of my caving photos are just snapshots taken on the hoof.

Although that location is not far from the surface daylight is not visible from the camera location, it was done with some really bright LED lights and there is not really any processing apart from a slight crop/rotation. Thanks for the encouraging comments

Interesting - maybe worth taking a gelled flash next time you're down in one of those places? Get some lovely sunset colours radiating out...

love your take on to-pical, very amusing and a nicely compsed sharp image to carry it off with (y)

Interesting take on the living world, i like the tones and colours :)

That is one great image Chris. Like Carl, I thought it might be upside down at first.
You've got the lighting spot on as far as I can see. (y)

love your take on to-pical, very amusing and a nicely compsed sharp image to carry it off with (y)

Interesting take on the living world, i like the tones and colours :)

Thanks Tim and Ruth. I think the image looking upside down might have been improved by using a higher camera position so the shot was looking more along the roof. I did try a lens correction on it but it didn't really make much difference.

Last edited:
Just catching up - sorry !

Camo - funny funny funny - great image :)

Dangerous - No thank you - it isn't dangerous for me apart from the risk of spoiling my underwear as there is no chance of catching me anywhere near going down there. Kudos to anyone who can, let alone enjoy it ! The first for me preparing to descend is my fave :D

To Pickle - Very good :D didn't get it at first so hats off for the clever interpretation and the capture - think it is well lit and composed and nicely taken with the reflections

The Living World - What a lovely image - beautiful - Its just a pity you have to go through those dark cramped spaces to get there ! :p

Just catching up - sorry !

Camo - funny funny funny - great image :)

Dangerous - No thank you - it isn't dangerous for me apart from the risk of spoiling my underwear as there is no chance of catching me anywhere near going down there. Kudos to anyone who can, let alone enjoy it ! The first for me preparing to descend is my fave :D

To Pickle - Very good :D didn't get it at first so hats off for the clever interpretation and the capture - think it is well lit and composed and nicely taken with the reflections

The Living World - What a lovely image - beautiful - Its just a pity you have to go through those dark cramped spaces to get there ! :p
Thanks for taking the time Jon, I appreciate the comments

That's a fantastic shot. Very different from the normal type of water shots you see. Looks like you have lit it very well, did you have lights under the water?
Thanks Steve, there were 3 LED torches in the water, you can see where two of them were, one was just out of shot camera right. One of the good and challening things about caves is that they are totally dark so you can play with lighting.

Back