weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

Hi Chris ...as you say you probably wouldn't find anything more appropriate than that ...not something I could do ...ever. I did manage the Leap of Faith at one of those Clip and Climb centers last week ...that nearly gave me a heart attack.
They both portray the theme really well ...I suppose the first one does look slightly more Dangerous as it gives more of an idea of the scale of things ...but the second one does look very slippy.

Well done for giving it a go, as for caving it is a bit of a 'Marmite' activity but it really isn't that dangerous, at least the sort of stuff I do isn't. Thanks for commenting.

Abandoned - I really like, love the ghostly feel to the image.

Camouflage - a good image, nicely framed.

Dangerous - well I don't think you can get much more dangerous than doing that. I think both images fit the theme, but the first does give a better sense of what's going on.

Abandoned - I really like, love the ghostly feel to the image.

Camouflage - a good image, nicely framed.

Dangerous - well I don't think you can get much more dangerous than doing that. I think both images fit the theme, but the first does give a better sense of what's going on.
Thanks for the encouraging comments Mandy.

I like both your dangerous shots - the first gives that moment of being right on the edge (not that I've been caving...but I remember the feel paragliding!) You've captured the slippery surfaces of the rock really nicely in the second - it does look very treacherous.

Dangerous, it certainly fits the bill for me Chris, no way would you get me down there!

Dangerous.....Hell would have to freeze over and be served to Sasquatch as hors-d'oeuvres before you'd get me doing that.
So for me, right on theme :D
The second is a fab one.

I like both your dangerous shots - the first gives that moment of being right on the edge (not that I've been caving...but I remember the feel paragliding!) You've captured the slippery surfaces of the rock really nicely in the second - it does look very treacherous.

Dangerous, it certainly fits the bill for me Chris, no way would you get me down there!

Dangerous.....Hell would have to freeze over and be served to Sasquatch as hors-d'oeuvres before you'd get me doing that.
The second is a fab one.

Thanks for the comments. The rock in the second shot is wet but really not very slippery, it does give you pause for thought though.

Hi Chris :)

Camouflaged - Can't see the wood from the trees with this one... I bet people tripped over him :D

Danger - Now then, a image posted within a couple of hours of the theme announced sure pointed to an archive image immediately :LOL: - must say a couple of great photos, full of detail and and colour :)

Camouflaged - Can't see the wood from the trees with this one... I bet people tripped over him
The swan certainly wasn't for moving and sat right outside that shiny new hide, couldn't resist.

Danger - Now then, a image posted within a couple of hours of the theme announced sure pointed to an archive image immediately :LOL:
Yes, doing that seems to have ruffled more feathers than the swan had. I didn't know there was an issue with archive photos if two weeks is "archive", Stock might be a better term. As it turned out I could have got something similar on Wednesday evening so that would have been OK, but I really don't see the difference, I was posting a caving shot taken within two weeks of the theme either way. If it had been two weeks late rather than two weeks early would that have caused such upset? Next time I'll wait until Sunday evening before posting.

Anyway, thanks for commenting. (n)

Well, danger is certainly on topic! Love a good abseil myself and like the first shots. The second is the best for me...who knows what's down there!? [emoji33]

I really like the first danger photo. It's bright and sharp and the waterfall gives it a sense of action. Really well captured there!

Well, danger is certainly on topic! Love a good abseil myself and like the first shots. The second is the best for me...who knows what's down there!? [emoji33]
Thanks Ian, what' just out of shot is a nice solid floor but it does have that look about it. Abseilings fun, prusiking out again is a bit more effort

I really like the first danger photo. It's bright and sharp and the waterfall gives it a sense of action. Really well captured there!
Thnaks Sheylara it is a lovely place

Camouflage - great spot and nice double meaning with the swan in there too. Leading line from the path works well to make it a more visually interesting image, too.
Dangerous - I prefer the second as the first looks like it might have been processed a bit more heavily - perhaps highlight recovery or something? I also hate confined spaces! Great spot and well taken.

Camouflage - great spot and nice double meaning with the swan in there too. Leading line from the path works well to make it a more visually interesting image, too.
Dangerous - I prefer the second as the first looks like it might have been processed a bit more heavily - perhaps highlight recovery or something? I also hate confined spaces! Great spot and well taken.
Thanks, probably more processing in the second than the first but not much in either TBH, they are JPGs off a waterproof compact camera which does tend to give vibrant images.

Nicely done on dangerous I like the first picture great angle nice vibrant colours (y)

The second is a fab one.

I hate heights and I hate depths and I hate confined spaces. They all make me go a bit goose bumpy with that sinking feeling in my stomach so they definitely say Danger to me.

#2 for me too

I hate heights and I hate depths and I hate confined spaces. They all make me go a bit goose bumpy with that sinking feeling in my stomach so they definitely say Danger to me.

#2 for me too

Thanks for commenting.

You wouldn't catch me doing that. :eek: I like your main image Chris, not the most dangerous-looking of the two, I like the fact we're looking down on someone who looks like he's about to go down.

You wouldn't catch me doing that. :eek: I like your main image Chris, not the most dangerous-looking of the two, I like the fact we're looking down on someone who looks like he's about to go down.
Thanks David, it's hard to convey the sense of risk. A friend took one on his iPhone a few weeks ago of a guy climbing down a waterfall which looks a bit more dynamic with lost of water splashing around, may be that sort of thing next time.

Abandoned there is a sense of movement as if it has just landed
Camouflage made me laugh once I realised the building was a hide great shot.
Danger brings back great memories not sure you'd get me down there now though they both fit the theme but the second is best for me

Abandoned - Clever idea to composite the two shots and you've blended it well. It has a painted feel to it which I like.
Camouflage - some shots tell a story well and this is one of them. Gave me a smile.
Danger - I like the first one, the perspective of looking down and the person standing on the edge preparing to descend are really good and the waterfall adds interest to the shot as well. Been a long time since I've been caving and not something I would do again in a rush, even though I'm glad I pushed myself to do it at the time.

Abandoned - Clever idea to composite the two shots and you've blended it well. It has a painted feel to it which I like.
Camouflage - some shots tell a story well and this is one of them. Gave me a smile.
Danger - I like the first one, the perspective of looking down and the person standing on the edge preparing to descend are really good and the waterfall adds interest to the shot as well. Been a long time since I've been caving and not something I would do again in a rush, even though I'm glad I pushed myself to do it at the time.
Thanks for taking the time Steve and well done for giving caving a go, the sort of caving I do these days is really pretty gentle.

To Pickle

2016-52-ToPickle by TheWub, on Flickr

I had a few ideas that have been mainly done by others (haven't seen the photo of the sign announcing an EU funded project but couldn't find one myself) and I thought that I would get a lot more out of shooting something I have never tried before so the above is my first effort at something shiny.

Is this about Eric Pickles in the leave-EU consortium? Great concept Chris. Blooming excellent shot for your first shiny image - the jar has come out particularly well. The composition is good and the square crop as Tim said, works well. :clap:

*Groan* ;)
Well okay, it made me chuckle.
Decent enough shot with sufficient DoF to keep the subjects in focus yet to give some blur to the background.
The square crop seems to work too (y)
Thanks for comments, better than just a random shoehorn... well perhaps not :coat:

I'm a bit mystified Chris ....is it representing the whole thing being a pickle or have I got it wrong o_O anyway well done for trying out your shiny objects, I like the small grouping, nice sharp colours, good DOF it works well.
Top - i - cal . . . To - pic - al . . . To Pickle

Sorry :exit:
Thanks for the comments

Is this about Eric Pickles in the leave-EU consortium? Great concept Chris. Blooming excellent shot for your first shiny image - the jar has come out particularly well. The composition is good and the square crop as Tim said, works well. :clap:
Thanks Carl, hadn't thought of Eric Pickles (see reply to Susie above) I was pleased with the jar, only took about a dozen shots to get there...

Topical - I am not really getting this :thinking: but as Susie said well done for trying to photograph shiney objects.
It is a bit of a shoe horn but I'm in this mainly for expanding my photography skills. Thanks for commenting

Very clever take :) Also great first attempt at shiny things. I think the glass jar has come out really well, in particular. I think you used natural window light for this? If so, get it as close as you possibly can to the window - you want the light source to be at least 3x the size of the subject matter (as a group) and so close it's only just out of frame. If you place it further away, it needs to be bigger still. Good job and looking forward to more of these sorts of shots hopefully!

Very clever take :) Also great first attempt at shiny things. I think the glass jar has come out really well, in particular. I think you used natural window light for this? If so, get it as close as you possibly can to the window - you want the light source to be at least 3x the size of the subject matter (as a group) and so close it's only just out of frame. If you place it further away, it needs to be bigger still. Good job and looking forward to more of these sorts of shots hopefully!

Thanks Paul, it was actually a couple of flashes with cheap ebay brollies, silver camera left and shoot-through camera right but there was also natural light as it wasn't dark outside, The flashes were fairly close but probably could have been closer. Thanks for the advise though, I'll try larger/closer next time.

Ha! I stared at the words "To Pickle" for ages before the peny dropped. :D Can't offer any advice on photographing shiny stuff but it looks well enough shot to me.

Thanks Paul, it was actually a couple of flashes with cheap ebay brollies, silver camera left and shoot-through camera right but there was also natural light as it wasn't dark outside, The flashes were fairly close but probably could have been closer. Thanks for the advise though, I'll try larger/closer next time.

Brollies can be quite handy for quick setups where light power and control isn't critical, so always useful to have. The other downside with using them in reflecting form is because of the setup, you can never get them that close to the subject (they're always further away than the lightstand itself) - which isn't a problem with shoot through or other modifiers. But great to experiment with as they're cheap as chips and easy to manoeuvre unlike hulking great softboxes or metal beauty dishes etc.

Thanks again @pjm1, at the moment my main area of interest is landscape type stuff so as you say I have gone for the cheap option just for learning and messing about but doing this 52, especially with the weather the way it is has meant improving my "studio" skills. I have to say I do enjoy it and can see myself getting some better modifiers at some point in the future.

Back