It really annoys me

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
On another site there is a monthly photo competition for fun only posting 2 of ones own photos . This month the heading specifically stated quote "your Favourite place" so what does one member post? they post two different places and the organiser has accepted it. If the heading was "your favourite places" then that would be ok. To me that is not only cheating but unfair to other members as well.
May be I am too pedantic but that is me. If something is clearly done in bold print then every member should stick to that.

your thoughts please

I agree with you, but then again I am often told I am very pedantic!

On another site there is a monthly photo competition for fun only posting 2 of ones own photos . This month the heading specifically stated quote "your Favourite place" so what does one member post? they post two different places and the organiser has accepted it. If the heading was "your favourite places" then that would be ok. To me that is not only cheating but unfair to other members as well.
May be I am too pedantic but that is me. If something is clearly done in bold print then every member should stick to that.

your thoughts please

I see where you are coming from but if it riles you so badly, why not communicate your concerns with the organiser for that site and the competition???

I see where you are coming from but if it riles you so badly, why not communicate your concerns with the organiser for that site and the competition???

I did and he said it was ok which p***ed me off even more. His reply quote " You are wrong , I think it quite reasonable for two different photos to show individual favourite places, as I have posted different places too." unquote
So why didn't he post that as the competition heading. Seems to me reading- writing and understanding words is not what everyone is capable of

Last edited:
I would have no issue with it and, if I were entering, would probably think it best to post 2 photos of 2 different places.

Whatever, certainly nothing to get annoyed about.

IMO

Language is a flexible thing, open to interpretation. Personally Bazza I'd have understood it as you do, while Simon above understands differently. And if the competition had been important to me then I'd have become grumpy too.

1st world problem :)

Although this particular situation is, I agree. However poor use of language (or even deliberate ambiguity for personal gain, as possibly in this case) is universal.

Actually, I do sometimes forget that some people like competitive photography.

I can't even begin to understand it as anything other than a bit of fun.

My comments are in that context.

I wish my life was so straightforward that getting annoyed over such a trivial affair was like the end of the world!

There is at least one solution such as avoiding the site and involve yourself with another that doesn't p*ss you off ( like TP maybe??)

I feel your pain, it is annoying when someone bends the rules to suit themselves, but it is not the end of the world

As you can see Bazza, the majority of people these days don't give a toss unless it affects them and that's why you have the issue with the site staff.

Last edited:
Actually, I do sometimes forget that some people like competitive photography.

I can't even begin to understand it as anything other than a bit of fun.

My comments are in that context.

Never understood it either, some people can't do anything without it being competitive.

So the OP gets uptight over a competition that is FOR FUN. If I was him I would at least look at taking it to the European Court of Human Rights or dare I say it Just get on with ones life.

Personally I really don't gaf, it's seems to be something small to get wound up over. But....... seeing as I'm here.......'favourite place' does kinda indicate just one place imo.

So the OP gets uptight over a competition that is FOR FUN. If I was him I would at least look at taking it to the European Court of Human Rights or dare I say it Just get on with ones life.
So FUN competitions don't require rules, because that is what you're saying.

So FUN competitions don't require rules, because that is what you're saying.

They are for FUN, nothing else, really nothing to get annoyed about. THE OP admits he may be being too pedantic. I am just saying I think he is.

It is not a real competition though so you cant expect any real standards. It is the jolly of the organiser

Guess it comes from having legal work drawn up for the business I had ( not photography). If you run a business people automatically think you have loads of cash so if they can screw you they will. Over the 25 years before retiring numerous times clients tried it on when they were given a copy of the terms and conditions. Not one managed as the contract was as tight as a drum, they just didn't bother to read it before signing.
So even now I suppose that is why I take anything written to be what it says ,not interpreted as one wishes.

On that basis I would not expect a competition for pictures of fish for members to show crabs

How far can you be liberal with an interpretation? If one takes that route you might as well show whatever you like and ignore the subject matter completely

Last edited:
If you run a business people automatically think you have loads of cash so if they can screw you they will.

Corrected for you:;)

If you're the average joe blogs / working man ( or woman!) wishing to buy or use the services of a business, they automatically think you are loaded and will, by whatever means possible, screw you with greedy profit margins if they can!

Corrected for you:;)

If you're the average joe blogs / working man ( or woman!) wishing to buy or use the services of a business, they automatically think you are loaded and will, by whatever means possible, screw you with greedy profit margins if they can!

You don't have to accept that is the difference. Have you ever run your own business?

Last edited:
You don't have to accept

Out of curiosity I'll try not accepting the tarifs dictated by the energy suppliers in my next bill!

There again I can refuse to accept and simply freeze throughout the winter!

or

change supplier and be screwed by a diiferent one, Why?.....because they can so they will !!!

Have you ever run your own business?

Yes, I've been involved in the running of business in years gone by although I don't see the relevance that has to being screwed either as a business or as a customer

How far can you be liberal with an interpretation? If one takes that route you might as well show whatever you like and ignore the subject matter completely

isn't that how we got modern art?;)

I guess the word that's being missed is *competition*. If you're not going to compete then you might as well post your images to Flickr for likes or TP for crit. If you're having a competition it's presumably expected that you'll try a bit instead of just bunging a picture on the wall to see if anyone likes it.

Guess it comes from having legal work drawn up for the business I had
So even now I suppose that is why I take anything written to be what it says ,not interpreted as one wishes

So in effect you admit that the reason for being upset/ distressed/ angry/ p*ss*d off about the way in which the competition is being run lies with yourself and not the organisers.

Is it not favourite place - per image? they should have clarified in the rules, but it's hardly a big deal is it? was there a prize involved? You say just for fun so I guess not.

Many years ago the class complained to tge tutor i was cheating, and getting higher marks.

The days written pages were transferred to a Sinclair spectrum word processor. Printed out later very neatly. Much higher marks.

The tutor told everyone they could do the same if they wanted....

You can simply add 3?

I'd say it was massively open to interpretation.

From an individual stand point, favourite means the one thing you like best. So, technically, you can't have two favourite places and therefore should be submitting two different shots of the same place.

But hardly anyone uses that definition, in the same way that people will say the have more than one best friend. And therefore lots of people will read it as 'one of my favourite' places.

If you'd paid to enter, or were at risk of losing some sort of prize, then maybe it's a big deal, but in reality, it's a fun competition and you should probably chill out.

Back