Its Barn Owl season!

Edit My Images
Yes
I went to my local area, and looks like I may get lucky this summer as the male is defiantly hunting for a family. Here are the best shots I got during the hour I was there. C&C appreciated, all shot in west sussex.

IMG_6323cmm.jpg

IMG_6304cm.jpg

IMG_6276cm.jpg

4. A kestrel attacking the owl, and dropping the meal! The first time I have witnessed it but I believe IanC got a similar shot last year.

IMG_6294cm.jpg

IMG_6293cm.jpg

Thanks, I was in the perfect place for the light but of course the owl decided to hunt behind me, so I have shadows everywhere!

Very nice shots, not easy at all to get. I usually find that if the Barn Owls have a young family they are very active and they generally follow the same path each time they leave the nest. They often come out earlier than dusk too so as a photographer you can hopefully get better light. Very interesting to see the Kestrel attacking

Very nice shots, not easy at all to get. I usually find that if the Barn Owls have a young family they are very active and they generally follow the same path each time they leave the nest. They often come out earlier than dusk too so as a photographer you can hopefully get better light. Very interesting to see the Kestrel attacking

Thanks Mark, he is being quite consistent where he hunts which is handy as the area is very large. I got some far better images two night ago but haven't got around to processing yet :D Once again the Kestrel attacked the owl but this time got the meal it is almost as though he relies on the owl for food!

beautiful shots mate, great evening light

wish i knew where there was one round here, would love to capture one

drew

Thanks Mark, he is being quite consistent where he hunts which is handy as the area is very large. I got some far better images two night ago but haven't got around to processing yet :D Once again the Kestrel attacked the owl but this time got the meal it is almost as though he relies on the owl for food!

Hi Liam, good luck with the shots. I'm working away at the moment in Lincolnshire and i've easily found Barn Owls here, back home in the Midlands there are Barn Owls close to my house and i still struggle to get myself into the right place at the right time! I've got a few shots on the camera but i too wont get chance to get them onto the PC for a while. I think your Kestrel vs Barn Owl shots are great, must be so tricky to capture this. Is the Kestrel simply after the Barn Owls catch?

Lovely capture Liam :clap::clap: Whilst all good, #1,2,3 stand out.

Nice set with lovley lighting

but I have a strange feeling that I have seen number 1 somewhere else ;)

Nice set with lovley lighting

but I have a strange feeling that I have seen number 1 somewhere else ;)

You are right UKNP 7-6-09.
I thought the same myself.
As stated shame about the shadow on the face, do not think you could add a highlight in eye.
C

Thanks all. Looks like I am not the only one who worships that forum! Wish I hadn't posted it as that evening I get a far better image :)

Back