Its cold outside... (Poppy)

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok lets try this again lol....
This is my kitty, Poppy. I'm new at photography but have always had the passion and now have the equipment to experiment with this passion. I thought with the snow fallen and my gorgeous cat exploring the outdoors I would take advantage of this moment and grab the camera, not much more to it...I quite like these shots.
I would like to hear your comments and how you would maybe improve them? and whether you like the shots :)
thank you.

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5115-1.jpg

IMG_5111-1.jpg

Last edited:
HI Karen, You have specifically asked for critique. I would be really interested to know a little more about these shots from you. Is there anything you specifially like / dislike about these? How do you feel about them? If these pics were posted by someone else, what would your thoughts be?

It is very useful to have a little more information behind the posting to offer crit. Perhaps there is something that you set out to achieve. Self crit before posting is a very good skill to develop in my opinion. Also, I think the pics would be easier to crit at a larger size.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments (y)

They are very small to really comment, and it might just be me, but it seems to me as if focus is more on the concrete wall (especially #1), and the cat doesn't seem to be in sharp focus.

Cheers Karen - Why do you prefer #2? Something about the look on the cat? Uncluttered background? Nice blurred background? Best focus? Perhaps it's something less photographic, that it best represents the cats character?

My first thoughts on these is that they are too dark and underexposed. The cat is rather white as is the surrounding stuff in shot. In this case, the camera will make the whites less white, rather a grey colour. This has happened here. If you think about it, I bet the colours in the shot are not what you were really seeing. In order to solve this, you need to over expose the shot to get the whites whiter.

The focus looks a little soft on #1. Eye contact would be better in #2. #3 is probably the best of the bunch for me.

You could improve this in PP by making the shot lighter and sharpening it a little as well.

Hope that is helpful (y)

Hi Karen,

You're lucky to have such a gorgeous model to experiment with - she really is a beautiful cat :love:

I'd also love to know what it is about no.2 that makes it your favourite.
From a personal perspective it's my least favourite. I feel like I'm missing out on the eyes and it seems like Poppy is pushed right over to the edge of the frame. However, that's only a personal opinion and maybe it's the framing of the shot or the fact that it most shows Poppy's personality that appeals to you???

Number one is the one that works best for me.
I like the fact that you've managed to frame it in such a way to minimise background clutter. The bit of wall / window frame(?) on the right hand side feels like an integral part of this shot, whereas it's slightly distracting for me in the other two. It feels more like it "should" be there in this one because Poppy is actually peering around it, so it has a purpose in the shot.
But what I like most about this is the pose that you've caught her in. Good eye contact, a real inquisitive expression on her face and a good sense of motion - she looks set to jump down at any second.

I agree with the other Sarah that the focus is a little soft and it would certainly benefit from a bit of PP in other areas too - a bit more brightness and contrast. But there is certainly potential there.
You have your edit photos box set as "no", or I would have had a bit of a play to show you what I can see in it.

hi karen, lovely model!, shot 1 is my favourite, i think the focus is just "off" if you could have nailed the focus on the eyes, it would have been a great shot. Also like has been mentioned they seem under exposed?,

my edit button is ticked now if you want a play around :) as i said i am very new to all this and just wanted to share these with you and appreciate your time and comments whatever they maybe.
I like number 2 as i feel she is deep in thought and taking in the beauty of the snow as this was her first experience of snow. i like the fact that the backgrounds are blurred out, and also like the expression of poppy in number 1. I was actually hanging out of the window taking these photos haha so balance wasnt really on my side either.
I dont class myself a photographer in any way shape or form I appreciate feedback in order to try new aspects of photography :)

Thanks Karen. Now that you've said it I can some more of the appeal in number 2 - she does look like she's almost hypnotised by the snow.

Here's my take on no.1.
Just a couple of subtle changes. A bit of sharpening, increase in contrast and a brighten (focused mainly around the eyes). Plus once I'd finished with that I felt that a slight crop from the top made a more pleasing composition.
With a bit more time than I spent and a larger image I'm sure that you could do a far better job of it.

Looking forwards to seeing some more from you (y)

I really like it :) thank you. im not the best at editing tbh lol but thank you for taking the time to help me. appreciate it! I tried editing it myself and was quite similar however i couldn get it as sharp. her eyes look great :) thank you.

Back