Daily Jake's 365 Challenge

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Good Evening all,
Starting my first 365 challenge today, hoping to be able to stick at it all year! Hoping to see some vast improvements of my images too! Fingers crossed.
Please feel free to follow my progress on here and the full set is on my Flickr here.
Thanks
Jake

Day 1
My first image is of my cat Mangoe, I had no motivation to leave the house this evening so he became my test subject.

1/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Jake ..Good luck will be following your progress with interest ..have subscribed :)

Welcome to the mad house! great first image(y)

I think that he makes a good test subject (y) I'm guessing you have energy saver bulbs, I know I do and they're and a right pig on white balance :eek:

Will be following closely (y)

Pretend you've got some food and he'll stare at you all day long! Yes we do, I hate the things, however they don't blow half as often as the normal ones in my room :LOL:

Welcome to the mad house! great first image(y)

Thanks very much! :)

Day 2

2/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

For todays photo I decided to do a self portrait. I have no equipment for a portrait, not even a flash, so this was just done using a Tripod, Remote Release, Kit Lens and My Bedroom Light.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have my door behind me and I'd have a black sheet or something as a back drop, but I don't, so this will have to do.

It's not great and self portraits are something I really don't enjoy, much rather be behind the camera than in front!

self portraits are a good idea, may resort to these when i cant think of anything else ...would like to see a bit more light around the eyes but other than that I really like it

Last edited:
self portraits are a good idea, may resort to these when i cant think of anything else ...would like to see a bit more light around the eyes but other than that I really like it

I couldn't think of anything else, today however is my girlfriends 21st so I'm sure I'll be able to think of something! :) It's hard to direct light when you have such basic kit, and it was dark, so no natural lighting. Thanks :)

I've been told I have a face for behind the camera, so you don't see many SP's from me but always worth doing the odd one (y) and this works, as you say a black sheet would have made it :D

Thanks Matt, I definitely think I should be behind the camera, I feel so awkward in front of it! I wish I had a massive black sheet, and some lighting, but there we go. Took delivery of my new Giotto's MTL9351 B Tripod + MH5011 Three Way Head today too.

I brought a black piece of heavy felt from Hobby Craft or somewhere like that .. its better than a sheet cos it doesnt show creases and makes a good backdrop for most things ..eg smoke and SPs cost no more than a fiver :)

I brought a black piece of heavy felt from Hobby Craft or somewhere like that .. its better than a sheet cos it doesnt show creases and makes a good backdrop for most things ..eg smoke and SPs cost no more than a fiver :)

That's a good idea! I never think of going to hobby craft for things like that. I'll go take a look when I'm back from Venice :)

Great idea Tezz :) Will be thinking about that when I next go into town :D Thanks a lot for that

Great shots so far Jake .... good luck with the challenge .... will pop in and keep watching :)

Day 3

3/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

My girlfriend Poppy turned 21 today, which led to her being given this lovely cake with some handmade sugar icing poppies on top.

This is an almost shot for me, the gap in the back is distracting for me, but cloning is trying my patience tonight too much.

Off to Venice tomorrow morning, so will catch up next week.

Ciao.

Youve given me an idea, my mates a master baker, will have to get him to call me when he next bakes a nice cake!

Enjoying the series so far, will look forward to your future posts, especially after you get back from Venice! Plenty of photo opportunities there :)

Hope you have a great time.

Very nice shot ...... agree with about the back but can be done at a later date if you decide to ..... have a great time in Venice :)

Three nice shots to start with there. I agree that the backdrop in the SP could've been a bit better. Really looking forward to the Venice shots.

Three nice shots to start with there. I agree that the backdrop in the SP could've been a bit better. Really looking forward to the Venice shots.

It could've, I should maybe use a different room or buy some felt or something. Still 362 days to improve! I hope the Venice shots do the place justice!

A great start to the 365, although you do look a little glum there! :D Looking forward to seeing your Venice photos...have a great trip and don't spend so much time with the camera you neglect your girlfriend!

Oh that works for me and the gap the back dosn't bother me that much I'm far to attracted to the poppies :D they look wonderful, oh and have fun in Venice, I'm sure you'll come back with some epic photo's (y)

Matt

A great start to the 365, although you do look a little glum there! :D Looking forward to seeing your Venice photos...have a great trip and don't spend so much time with the camera you neglect your girlfriend!

Haha, I don't like smiling for a camera, never have done :LOL: Thank you very much, I'll try not to!

Oh that works for me and the gap the back dosn't bother me that much I'm far to attracted to the poppies :D they look wonderful, oh and have fun in Venice, I'm sure you'll come back with some epic photo's (y)

Matt

Thanks Matt, I'm glad the gap doesn't bother you! This will be my last post, as I'll be leaving shortly. Have fun all!

Thanks Tezz, I'm back now and currently waiting for my photos to upload to my macbook. Taking a while however. Will get up to date on the 365, and then start on the mammoth task of sorting through Venice shots.

Day 4

4/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

The Alps from the window of our British Airways flight to Venice. Something a bit different than the norm.

Day 5

5/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

I decided to use this photo for my POTD for today, this artist was sat next to a canal in Venice, painting small pictures of the setting sun.

Day 6

6/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Day 6 is a long exposure taken of San Giorgio Maggiore in Venice. This was taken on my new Giotto's tripod. Great bit of kit.

Day 7

7/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Day 7, and a photo of my beautiful girlfriend on a water taxi in Venice.

Great catch-up, Jake - like them all! Purely because I am not so much a portrait person myself, my faves would be 1 & 3, although they are all lovely. Hope you and Poppy had an amazing time! :)

wonderful shots Jake and have to say they are all wonderful but love the man painting the most ..... :)

Thanks Samantha :) It was a really nice break! Taking forever to edit my photos now though!

Oh, I know how it feels when trying to edit a whole load of photos from holiday - we went to the States last year and it seemed to take forever to work through them when we got back!

Oh, I know how it feels when trying to edit a whole load of photos from holiday - we went to the States last year and it seemed to take forever to work through them when we got back!

From previous holidays I've given up, but now I shoot in RAW I feel like everything needs to be edited.

Back