James306's 52 - 2011 *week 11-19 added*

Nice idea on the subject, great lighting, colour and texture. Good shot altoghether (y)

hahaha, nice take on the theme (y)

it reminds me a bit of the moon, just a funny shape :LOL:

Great idea and beautifully lit, as someone else says it looks almost moon like with the strong light fall off on the left. I do find it a little soft and I'm wondering if your choice of f4 is perhaps the cause; with an egg being particularly famous for not being flat I'm thinking the depth of field at f4 on 105mm a bit wide.

Interesting choice of orientation, why did you choose to shoot this landscape rather than portrait?

I'm more interested in why you like this shot and what you have learned this week but taking this shot. As I've suggested to another egg shot have a think about how you could develop the idea further and what you might do differently if you chose to RESHOOT this when a RESHOOT card is drawn?

I do find it a little soft and I'm wondering if your choice of f4 is perhaps the cause; with an egg being particularly famous for not being flat I'm thinking the depth of field at f4 on 105mm a bit wide.

This is the kind of feedback I like, to be honest the choice to shoot at f4 was to help hide a few of the creases in my attempt at a mini home studio setup, the first one I have ever tried to add.

Interesting choice of orientation, why did you choose to shoot this landscape rather than portrait?

I had already laid out a set of rules for myself to follow, one being to keep all my my52 photos the same orientation, just to add to the challenge.

I'm more interested in why you like this shot and what you have learned this week but taking this shot.

Your first point regarding a the shot being slightly soft, it's something I shall experiment with next time I set up a shot like this. I know having the lens at it's widest isn't the best way of getting a tack sharp photo but the bodged attempt at a mini home studio outweight this. As it turned out with a little editing the creases could have been lost anyway so this is one lesson learned!

As I've suggested to another egg shot have a think about how you could develop the idea further and what you might do differently if you chose to RESHOOT this when a RESHOOT card is drawn?

One thing I would consider in a reshoot is what colour background to use, perhaps try a white background and light it in a warmer colour. Make it seem more alive almost.

Thanks for all the comments so far, any critisism can only help me improve (y)

Week 2 - New

I left this one quite late, haven't had much of a chance to think about it as i've been working at the London Boat Show all week. Decide tonight while sat in my hotel, gotta get this one now!

Went out with the camera for a walk and came up with this (y)

2/52 - New by James-306, on Flickr

It's the new Range Rover which is on show here :D

I really like the angle at which the image was captured. IMO you could have moved in a little bit closer because you have a lot of wasted space in the form of dark sky

Week 1: Can't believe I missed this one last week. Wonderful image. I like the way looks like it's floating in mid-air. As other people have mentioned it could do with being a bit sharper.

Weeks 2: Great pic. Looks surreal - almost like a CGI image.
I agree that getting in closer and lower would be even better.

Thanks for the comments so far, I admit I looked once I had posted and thought that needs a crop, but at 3AM I wasn't really in the mood to repost/upload it again. I have cropped it now and shall upload this eve once I have finished work.

Any further critisism regarding the exposure? I already wish I had shot it differently after looking back at images I took after that photo.

Hiya James

Sorry, but I somehow missed your thread, there are so many taking part, so I am doing a quick scan of those I have overlooked.

Week 1: I really like this image, and the take on the theme. Agree with the comment about how it looks to be floating :)

Week 2: I agree with what has already been said about getting closer and lower. The image has a lot of potential.

Well done and I look foward to seeing your week 3.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Week 3 - Style

I haven't really pushed myself with this one, in fact with a stupidly hectic week, and moving into my new house I just haven't found the time to even think about what I was going to do. This was my (poor) attempt I fired off last night to make sure I actually have a picture in this week!

Fire off any c&c anyway, although I can see lots coming my way ;)

This is me and my housemates moving into our new house, in style!

And a quick crop I did, although takes me out of my own rules :(

_MG_0646.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mate...

Now that is moving in in style....

Im sure we will all have a week like that where life actually takes back over! It had for t past 3 years with my togging anyway so im hopping i can keep going here.

Actually love ** shot of t stella... Crop is def better. Its maybe not shouting style too loud unless u know ** story... But still a great quick grabbed image...

Hiya James,

Well done on getting a shot for this week's theme, despite the hectic week you have had. I hope you are happy in your new home, it certainly looks like you are well stocked for a fab roof wetting party :D

I have to agree that the second image is the better of the two. I like how you have the upper level of bottles all turned upside down and the way you have meticulously positioned all the labels.

Good luck with the week 4 photo.

Cheers

Hi James

Love the idea for you accommodation picture, so simple and yet fun and effective!,

New picture also fantastic but I think a tighter crop may have been better as there is too much surroundings for me which I feel detracts from the picture!

Style picture is cool!! Sometimes the simple not overly technical and often quick fire pictures can be just as good. I think it is a theme people have struggled with this week and despite being busy, you have still managed to get an end image!

Well done.

Laura

I like the idea for week three, i prefer the cropped version personally but its a great capture (y)

Thanks for the comments guys, I have made a promise to myself to make sure the next few weeks, that I really push myself!

Still not sure what those odd symbols on the front of our stella tray are though! :p

Week 4 - Open

Once again I have really dissapointed myself, I have left this until the last minute, something I really will be forcing myself to improve upon.

The theme is Open, this is my shot which was us opening a bottle of champaign to celebrate the new house. It didn't go to plan however I didn't have time or enough chamaign to reshoot when my housemate screwed up the opening of the bottle!

Here is the photo, once again c&c welcome as I shall no doubt learn something from it!

_MG_0731 by James-306, on Flickr

Here is also a quick re-composure I did as a second option.
_MG_0745.jpg

Last edited:
Hiya James,

Well it certainly does look like you had a great 'roof wetting' party.

I like both your photos and it difficult to say which I like best. In the first image though I would have perhaps removed the watch, but that is probably just me being picky.

Good choice of background and also like the bit of bokeh you have going on in the second pic.

Well done on getting the images, despite you being so busy.

Hope you are happy in your new home.

BTW you have the title of you week 4 as 'Week 3 - Open'

Cheers

Good spot, I had consumed most of that bottle and then some by the time I wrote the post up last night :) We still haven't found the cork!

Background was another last minute thing, fleece blanket tossed over a frame wardrobe and draped onto the table :D Still need to sort myself a proper set up.

I agree about the watch now you have said it, the other thought I had after is that it could have looked better to have no sleeves in the shot, so arm on show. Interesting to compare it to the 'floating hands' effect.

ARGH!!!...until you pointed out the floating hands i had actually seen arms... but now.....[ARGH!!].. floating hands...great idea.. no need to crop etc... loved both..BUT push me and i'll got with image 1 as it wins ..hands..down..?

Week 5 - Hard

I have had time to think about this one, had a plan in my head, but while sat on the piano just now decided that instead this shot had to be attempted! I have wanted to get something along these lines for a while and with the new 580 EXII it was time I had a play with the curtain flash!

Hard by James-306, on Flickr

Me teaching myself some Jazz Piano, something which it pretty hard!

As usual all critique and comments welcome (y)

Hi James

I really like your Hard shot ,would love to learn piano but got two right hands:LOL:
The keys are spot on for focus & love the blur of the hand ,just could maybe do without the very top hand outline (hope you understand what I mean ?)

Brilliant shot (y)

Thanks Lynne, I know what you mean by the top outline and agree with you looking at it. If it comes to a reshoot I shall keep away from that higher B flat ;)

Hi James, what an imaginative shot. Great idea for the theme "hard". Really like it.

The colour, lighting, focus and DOF are all excellent.

I agree with comments about the top hand image, but that's a minor point.

No, I appreciate that, but a piano is a stationary instrument, and saxophones move when you play them...
Will have to give it a go though...

did you take a wide shot and crop in, or is this the original shot as from camera?

Hiya James,

Well done on a very interesting shot for week 5. Agree with most of what has already been said.

Look forward to your week 6.

Cheers

The photo was taken with my nifty fifty, no cropping, just a few shots fired off to get the composition where I wanted it.

Week 6 - Clutter

Clutter by James-306, on Flickr

Well my PS3 recently YLOD'd and decided while I had it in bits on the coffee table that it would make a good subject for this weeks theme, albiet 'organised clutter'

Back