Jammy_c's 52! - Making a "Fresh Start" for my 52!

Why would using a polarising filter be cheating ? I used a Macro filter for my Poverty shot, they are just tools to help get the effect you want, surely ?
Yeah, :) when you put it like that I don't think it's cheating. it's certainly better than you lucky so-and-so's with nifty fifties when i have to struggle with a bog-standard 18-55mm kit lens! :LOL:

Ok, so for week 13, I read the theme "up" in my email that morning, and had previously arrange to spend the day at Warwick Castle with my other half and her 7-year-old nephew, Matthew.

I spent most of the day walking round, marvelling at the architecture, and taking photos from the bottom of the towers facing upwards, and pics from high up looking over the landscape.
I couldn't decided which to use and eventually thought I'd settled on a photo taken from the highest point of the castle.

It wasn't until I looked back through all of them again that I realise that the photo that best fits the theme is the very first one of the day I took. Matthew walked on a 5(ish) foot wall infront of me whilst we were on our way to the entrance, it was a "hey Matt" *click* type shot. completely by coincidence, and one of the few photos I wasn't looking for the subject "Up".

So Here it is: UP
DSC_4612.jpg

Massively out of the box, but chosen for the following reasons:

1) The photo was taken Upwards. :wacky:
2) He's growing up faster than you can imagine.
3) He got himself upset when we told him he can't have another sword/helmet/shield, money doesn't grow on trees you know! (Slight reference to my week-8 theme!) :LOL:
4)He's generally up to mischief most of the time.:naughty: :nono: :LOL:

...and i'm proud to say it's another 100% "PP-free" entry!

Last edited:
This is SO close to what I was trying to do when taking snaps of my parrot! :LOL:
He was flying UP, I was looking UP, he was climbing UP, he looked down - which is the opposite of UP :wacky: :LOL:

Great picture, I like the angle (y)

This is SO close to what I was trying to do when taking snaps of my parrot!
He was flying UP, I was looking UP, he was climbing UP, he looked down - which is the opposite of UP

Great picture, I like the angle
:LOL: cheers for the kind comments. (y)

Excellent shot, love the clarity, the fuzziness of the background...just right, the colours, everything!! well done :clap: :clap:

My turn to catch UP ;)

Relationships, great texture and colour to this and like the angle too, just that distraction in the top left corner, but animals do what they want, not what you want :D (y)

Poverty, I really like this picture but feel that it says decay more than Poverty. Perhaps some indication that someone lives there, maybe a couple of old chairs and the door open? But that's just me being 'precious' :geek:

Up, really love this shot, meets the brief on a number of levels. Great angle, DoF and composition. :clap::clap: A slight niggle (sorry) is the foliage on the right side and a tiny dark mark on the top left. Get cloning :D

:clap::clap:

My turn to catch UP ;)

Relationships, great texture and colour to this and like the angle too, just that distraction in the top left corner, but animals do what they want, not what you want :D (y)

Poverty, I really like this picture but feel that it says decay more than Poverty. Perhaps some indication that someone lives there, maybe a couple of old chairs and the door open? But that's just me being 'precious' :geek:

Up, really love this shot, meets the brief on a number of levels. Great angle, DoF and composition. :clap::clap: A slight niggle (sorry) is the foliage on the right side and a tiny dark mark on the top left. Get cloning :D

:clap::clap:

I'm also catching up and although this may seem a bit lazy I agree with almost everything Bruja has said!

The only difference is on Up - the foliage doesn't bother me but I think that Matthew is a bit dark in the shot and I'm not sure about the colour of the sky. I like the angle though and appreciate it was a grab shot (y)

A great interpretation and a good shot, the angle helps. Matthew is a little dark in the shot though.

Thanks for all the C&C! before i posted the picture i thought to myself "it looks a little dark", so I adjusted the brightness/contrast and it ended up causing the sky to become very bright and saturated. it looked over-exposed. so I left it how it was. If I had a little more time to play around I think i'd have seperated him from the background and brigtened him up a bit. I still have the RAW, so I might give it a go. what this space...

Oh yeah, :bonk: I meant to say.
for those of you that fancy taking a look at my Warwick Castle pics, please click HERE (y)

So, This weeks 52 is brought to you by the letter "G"
- About as "In-the-box" as it gets i'm afraid. sorry :( and no...It's not mine, courtesy of my better half, Gemma.
Week 14 - Letter
DSC_5368.jpg

C&C Appreciated as always...

Last edited:
Aaaahh I love tattie teddies, and this is another example of selective colouring just to make me feel miserable cos I haven't had time to have a go.... perhaps in June once my exam is over!!!

Nice clear shot, on theme, super!! :clap: :clap:

I love the back lighting on this shot - really great (y) I still don't like selective colouring but I can appreciate you've done a good job of this :). If there is one little are that could be improved it's the slight angle of the post to the left of the frame - I think it needs to be straight.

A good shot in a difficult week :clap:

Well it may not be out of the box, but that doesn't matter, it's a great shot of a letter that also has a message in it... well done(y)

The letter pic is pretty good, agree with Simon about post but the image works fine, another tough week in.

I agree with the others, it's worked very well and the selective colour lifts it nicely.

hey Guys! :) thanks for all the kind comments, i have taken on board the points about the angle of the frame, too. think you're correct. (y)
Cheers! :)

A little late, as i've not been able to get on here much recently, but here it is.

Week 15 - Duo

DSC_5944.jpg

C&C Appriciated as usual! Cheers All! (y)

Its another good shot, I find the top left of centre slightly distracting (the white bit) but other than that, nice one.

That looks like a good duo to me. :LOL:

Nicely shot and I like the b&w treatment - suits the contents very well. :clap:

The only small niggle for me, is that there seems to be a lot of space top and bottom. This is probably my screen, but I wonder if a less tight crop would giving a bit more space at the sides would improve the proportions. But the subject's the main thing and that looks great!

Cheers! I notice they were unopened - I hope you enjoyed them after the shoot. :)

Jean

The only small niggle for me, is that there seems to be a lot of space top and bottom. This is probably my screen, but I wonder if a less tight crop would giving a bit more space at the sides would improve the proportions. But the subject's the main thing and that looks great!
Yeah, I know what you mean, the Idea was to put a white/cream gradient at the top, and a black gradient at the bottom, A bit like a pint of guiness ;) not sure if that has been portrayed properly though. kinda wish i'd also added the border after the gradients, too!

Cheers! I notice they were unopened - I hope you enjoyed them after the shoot.
:LOL: haha, i wish i could've. I took it just before I left to drive to work yesterday, so I don't think it would have been a good idea. lol.
They're being saved for a sunny weekend when i'm not on call from work! :) :LOL:

Last edited:
I agree with the other guys. Very nice tones and conversion and although the wood works nicely the top of the frame is a distraction. Very nice still though!

Letter - spot on, great use of selective colouring, and fits the theme really well (and also fits Longing - as in Longing for Gemma) :clap::clap:

Duo - agree with the comments about the tight crop but love the idea nd the DoF is spot on too :clap::clap: (and would also fit Dark :LOL::LOL:), so maybe you've caught up without realising :D

Hope to see your next pictures soon (y)

Letter - spot on, great use of selective colouring, and fits the theme really well (and also fits Longing - as in Longing for Gemma)

Duo - agree with the comments about the tight crop but love the idea nd the DoF is spot on too (and would also fit Dark ), so maybe you've caught up without realising

Hope to see your next pictures soon

Thanks, Bruja! (y)
Some encouraging comments there. :) i'm kinda stuck on "Longing" at the moment. Think i'll find something for dark easier though. hopefully both will be on by early next week. :

Playing catch up!
Up : very sharp portrait...not hard to get kids to pose...I know...
Letter : I like the colouring work....but fancy posting a pic taken by someone else tut tut lol
Duo : Nailed the focus again...agree with comments...how about a real tight crop to remove the distractions?

Letter : I like the colouring work....but fancy posting a pic taken by someone else tut tut lol
Huh?????? No, the teddy belongs to my other half, but no, she didn't take the pic if that's what you meant. lol. :LOL:

Last edited:
I too like the Duo shot, I hadn't noticed the white in the corner, but now I have seen it I agree.

well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent shot for Duo, have to agree with the comments about the white spot, but other than that (y)

Ok, a bit of a catch-up

Week 16 - Longing..........(to be in the sunshine)

Week16LongingCase.jpg

Week 17 - Dark............(Chocolate...how original! :LOL:)

this was actually shot ages ago, but couldn't post until i'd decided what to do for week 16. doh! :bonk:
BWChoc2.jpg

Cheers for looking, guys! comments welcome as always...

ok am sad now you just reminded me that i wasnt ment to be on holiday this week with Martyn and he is in the south of franch and im stuck training for my new job. I love the idea though and its got great colour :)

Dark nice i like the unusual packaging and the use of the foil :)

Nice one for longing - I bet there aren't many of us who look at that image and don't feel some kind of yearning to be packing up to go away - very apt, very well taken!

Dark - mmmm chocolate :) Nice shot with effective B&W giving it a very retro feel!

Longing is good, and certainly makes me want to go away somewhere nice.

Dark works well, and the processing fits nicely with that older looking wrapper (y)

Longing: Colour clarity and composition all great, its not grabbing me though. Could be that as a blue skinned blonde, hot holidays are never on the cards, much prefer to camp with the dogs!!:D

Dark: Love it. The placement of the chocolate and wrapper are both super, and the colouring, treatment suit is perfectly. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back