January’s blood moon. Where and when.

Hope the sky is going to be clearer than it's currently forecast to be...

Looks like it might actually be clear here. It's still a few days away though - still time for someone to remember to press 'recalculate' on the computer. Up till yesterday Sunday was going to be sunny, now suddenly it's not. Computers work to rules. No-one ever told the weather what those rules are..................

I was thinking of starting a thread on the Lunar Eclipse as well but you beat me to it! Looking at PhotoPills if anyone is planning to shoot in London, then the London Eye could be a decent location.

I came across this amazingly detailed guide on how to photograph a Lunar Eclipse over at MrEclipse.com, which might prove helpful if you do go out.

So was anybody lucky?

The forecast here (Maidenhead) was for cloud so I didn't bother getting up for it. When I got up at 6.45, I looked out of the window and I was glad I hadn't got up earlier!

It was clear and -3 here, but it set behind a hill a good two hours before the official time.
Not the most exciting thing anyway IMO

I didn't make a satisfactory sacrifice to the weather witches and it was cloudy here. I caught a few glimpses in breaks in the cloud as it was ending and thought I saw it still with a nibble out of it, but I'm not usre if it wasn't a bit of cloud. Ah well, not the first eclipse I haven't seen, but I have seen plenty.

was not going to leave my nice warm bed to venture out in -4 temperatures :D

Will just wait for the brave souls who did venture out putting up their images on here ;)

Here in NW Scotland I saw the Moon when it half covered by the Earth's shadow but through cloud. Then it got cloudier and the Moon disappeared altogether.:(

Dave

It was clear when I went to bed, but clouded over when I stuck my head out the window at 5am, so didn’t bother!

Not seen too many photos of the lunar eclipse on here. Thought a few more would be out and about. There were some quite large areas of clear skies.

I went out at 4:30am to be greeted with nice clear skies. Took a bunch of interval shots to get a moon trail. On reivew back home the focus has been completely missed and all images were soft. Gutted.

So was anybody lucky?

The forecast here (Maidenhead) was for cloud so I didn't bother getting up for it. When I got up at 6.45, I looked out of the window and I was glad I hadn't got up earlier!
The weather was crap AGAIN!

Think I'll just emigrate.... Oh wait can't do that either very soon :facepalm:

Last edited:
Completely clear sky when I went to bed. Completely overcast when my alarm woke me at 4 30. :rolleyes:

I did see a composite on facebook this morning of the entire eclipse shot from Cornwall.

I saw at least one shot apparently with stars clearly shown behind - got to be a composite surely?

I saw at least one shot apparently with stars clearly shown behind - got to be a composite surely?
Depends. If it was during totality, the exposure time might have been surprisingly long. During a total eclipse, the moon is typically about 13 to 17 stops darker than when it's full.

Do you have a link to that photo?

Depends. If it was during totality, the exposure time might have been surprisingly long. During a total eclipse, the moon is typically about 13 to 17 stops darker than when it's full.

Do you have a link to that photo?
I'm struggling to find it, might have been casually added on an article about viewing conditions for it on a weather site.
Basically you could see the milky way as well as the red moon, and good detail in foreground which might have been light painted.

Managed to take some images though the Moon seemed to have a haze over causing a dullness in the Blood. Weather was about -4C (Darlington) not sure if it was worth the effort.

_F2A1874.jpg

Coming Out of Phase.

_F2A1901.jpg

Last edited:
Back