jeangenie's 52 for 2009 - Part 2, Week 52 Texture - and finally ...

Name
Jean
Edit My Images
Yes
Wk27 Highlight, Wk 28 Fun, Wk 29 Easy, Wk 30 Colour, Wk 31 Food, Wk 32 Exposed, Wk 33 Mono, Wk 34 Season, Wk 35 Grunge, Wk 36 Respect, Wk 37 Friends, Wk 38 Fresh Start, Wk 39 Passion, Wk 40 Water, Wk 41 Out of Context, Wk 42 Bubbles, Wk 43 Low down, Wk 44 Doom and Gloom, Wk 45 Communication, Wk 46 Self, Wk 47 Organised, Wk 48 Confusion, Wk 49 Music, Wk 50 Pain, Wk 51 Health, Wk 52 Texture

Guess who didn't read the forum rules on 6 month old threads. :rules: :bonk:

Week 27 Highlight is here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=104668&page=17

... and I hope to see you here next week. :wave:

Jean

Last edited:
This rollover to the other thread could get confusing. Might be worth reposting the shots Jean... Anyway...

I like it, I don't think there's too much green on the right, and the position of the beans leads nicely to the spuds and (I think it was) onions. Well done on getting a crop. As for your mysterious garlic "disease" good shot, it might be worth trying with levels or curves to lighten the background a bit, which might hide the shadow. I like it.

Week 27 Highlight is here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=104668&page=17

... and I hope to see you here next week. :wave:

Jean

You were not the only one who didn't know about the 6 month thing... I tried to change my title and had problems, I even e-mail Hyster to see if he knew what was wrong...and sent a email to Inaglo...:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Back to your hightlights that's a very nicely composed shot and work very well with this week theme, and congratulations on the fruits of your labour...:clap::clap::clap:

I like both of your highlights shots but the second one the best. Shadows are allowed.

Mark(y)

This rollover to the other thread could get confusing. Might be worth reposting the shots Jean... Anyway...

I like it, I don't think there's too much green on the right, and the position of the beans leads nicely to the spuds and (I think it was) onions. Well done on getting a crop. As for your mysterious garlic "disease" good shot, it might be worth trying with levels or curves to lighten the background a bit, which might hide the shadow. I like it.

I hadn't thought of reposting the shots - thanks. When I get a minute I'll try and do that. :)

Thanks also for the suggestions on the scape shot. I'm afraid the shot is already 'curved' to within an inch of its life - the shadows were very intense. I should have taken the time to move the shot indoors and control the light better, but, as often happens, I was rushing to get this done on Sunday afternoon. If I'd had more time I would have used quick mask to lighten the bg, but I'm not sure that I'd have improved it - pp skills still sadly lacking. :eek:

Back to your hightlights that's a very nicely composed shot and work very well with this week theme, and congratulations on the fruits of your labour...

Thank you very much. I've enjoyed both the growing and the togging. :)

I like both of your highlights shots but the second one the best. Shadows are allowed.

Mark(y)

Thanks, Mark. You're very kind. :)

I'm getting slightly confused with everyone starting new threads this week. . . just when I thought I was getting the hang of navigating around this forum too :bang:

Anyway, I commented on your part1 thread - but just to keep everything in one place I'll put it here too.

The first image is very good, but for me the simplicity of the second one is stunning.
Educational too. I'd never heard of scapes before either.

Well done on your first crop as well as a great photo :clap:
I have some space set aside by the greenhouse at the side of the house. Every year I promise myself that I'll get round to putting some raised beds in and growing my own veg . . . and every year I get side tracked with something else. Maybe 2010 will be my year for it.

I prefer the first shot
great colouring and sharpness - well done :)

Thanks - I actually toned down the saturation of the veg - they just looked unreal. At first I thought I'd taken them with D-lighting on, but I hadn't. Anyway, glad you like the shot. :)

I'm getting slightly confused with everyone starting new threads this week. . . just when I thought I was getting the hang of navigating around this forum too :bang:

Anyway, I commented on your part1 thread - but just to keep everything in one place I'll put it here too.

Sorry for the confusion Sarah. Thanks for commenting - you're very kind. :)

Me neither, and I bothered Admin about it :( before I found Daysleepers thread

Now I'm going to look at your photo and comment there ;)

So glad it's not just me who doesn't read the rules, Jill. By the time I thought of pm'ing someone to ask I'd already posted on the old thread. :bonk: Next week should (hopefully) be back on course. :D

Jean

After the confusion of the 6-month-edit-rule last week, I'm hopefully back on track. Many thanks to all those who hunted round for my Highlight and were kind enough to comment. :)

Great theme for this week! :banana::banana: FUN :D

I've had a very busy but mostly fun-filled week - lots of social things going on, but I managed not to get a single photo for this week's theme. :bonk: How stupid can I get? (No answers sought, btw!) For once, though, I had some ideas: Remembering the Beach Boys 'Fun, Fun, Fun' - a T-bird. A toy one would do - but I couldn't find one anywhere locally. Thinking about the end of term and the beginning of the holidays, made me think about my childhood holidays. I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent and going to the seaside for a week, or even a day, was a huge treat and fantastic fun. The best thing in the whole world was spending the day on the beach, paddling, running in and out of the waves and building sandcastles, only to watch the sea sweep them away on the incoming tide.

So my Fun photo this week is - a sandcastle. :)

... and yes, I did enjoy building it, although it was a very hasty effort at 8.15 tonight, in rubbish light, and much to the amusement of several passersby. The beach is Mudeford - not my childhood haunts of Blackpool and North Wales, but sand is sand. Mr JG came along to help with construction - and the ritual destruction, but being a grown-up he then grumbled about the sand in his car. :D

Lessons learned:

1 Childhood memories are very precious and it's good to mull over a few of them occasionally.

2 Leaving a weekly photo shoot till 8.15 on the last day is pushing your luck a bit. My Plan B involved working out how it was 'fun' to build sandcastles in the rain. :LOL:

3 Thank God it didn't rain - well not much anyway.

4 Lying on the sand with your pride-and-joy-camera an inch from gritty destruction isn't relaxing - or fun.

5 Constructing a photogenic sandcastle takes longer than 5 minutes.

6 I'm determined to get next week's shot nailed earlier, and take more care over the tecchie bits. :)

Thanks for looking - please feel free to C&C - I'm conscious that I haven't pushed any photographic boundaries this week!

Jean

I reckon you've caught what most of us 52ers remember as the simple fun things we did as kids....ah memories. Well done, excellent take :clap::clap:

I love this shot :-D it is great!! I love how 'natural' it is with the 'imperfect' sand and the seaweed. Proper British beach. All I can do is (y) thumbs: (y)

Great.[don't ask me why I like it so much, but it's really pleasing on my eyes!]

Very nice Jean... Ah... sandcastles... I get to do that most years :D.... I've introduced the kids to the idea of trying to hold back the tide by building complex Sand Forts... it keeps them quiet for hours... now I know why my Dad did it to me :D. Sorry... waffling off there...

I like it, the castle is spot on, well built but not perfect, and the vibrant colours of the well placed buckets and spades fit in nicely (y)

Very nice Jean... Ah... sandcastles... I get to do that most years :D.... I've introduced the kids to the idea of trying to hold back the tide by building complex Sand Forts... it keeps them quiet for hours... now I know why my Dad did it to me :D. Sorry... waffling off there...

I like it, the castle is spot on, well built but not perfect, and the vibrant colours of the well placed buckets and spades fit in nicely (y)

Complex Sand Forts! What a great way to keep the kids occupied! Glad you like the pic. :)

yay to sand castles :D

lots of detail, nicely done

Thanks Ruth. :)

Jean

Great minds think alike, except I couldn´t find a sandcastle. I almost bought a bucket and spade kit at the local cheap shop and then thought ´what the heck am I doing, if I get down on my hands and knees I´ll not get up again, and just think of all the possibilities for sand to get into nooks and crannies (I mean the camera´s :naughty:'

Maybe it´s not a Spanish thing :thinking:

I love the composition of this shot, and the dedication that went into getting it :clap::clap:

And Mr JG is no different to Mr Bruja. First thing he said as we came off the beach was make sure you get the sand out of your sandals before we get in the car! :D

..but where is the stripey deck-chair and the donkeys?

oh and those little flags you put on top of the castles....

:D

:LOL: In Blackpool and Rhyl. Mudeford had closed for the night by the time I got to take this shot. :D

Great minds think alike, except I couldn´t find a sandcastle. I almost bought a bucket and spade kit at the local cheap shop and then thought ´what the heck am I doing, if I get down on my hands and knees I´ll not get up again, and just think of all the possibilities for sand to get into nooks and crannies (I mean the camera´s :naughty:'

Maybe it´s not a Spanish thing :thinking:

I love the composition of this shot, and the dedication that went into getting it :clap:

And Mr JG is no different to Mr Bruja. First thing he said as we came off the beach was make sure you get the sand out of your sandals before we get in the car! :D

Thanks Jill. :) I worried a lot about the nooks and crannies, too! Ahh - and there we have the crucial difference between England and Spain - you got sand in your sandals, while I got it in my wellies. :LOL:

What is it that sends men into a panic attack at the possibility of sand in their cars? :shrug:

Jean

oooh that sea looks cold . . . definitely reminds me of childhood holidays (it was always Porthcawl or Tenby for us)

You've really captured the texture of the sand, and the colours in the seaweed make a great backdrop.
(y) I really like this one and well done to Mr JG for helping.
I can imagine the look I'd get for suggesting a trip to the beach at that time of night ! He already thinks I'm :wacky:

Great and simple shot well executed :) Splashes of colour and the breaking wave just make it :)

Good stuff Jean!!

And as for the words....

"5 Constructing a photogenic sandcastle takes longer than 5 minutes."

What an observation :) Love it :)

"6 I'm determined to get next week's shot nailed earlier, and take more care over the tecchie bits."

Should be EASY :)

oooh that sea looks cold . . . definitely reminds me of childhood holidays (it was always Porthcawl or Tenby for us) Yes it was! More like November than July - in other words a typical summer's day. :LOL:

You've really captured the texture of the sand, and the colours in the seaweed make a great backdrop. Thanks. I wasn't sure about the seaweed, but I was stuck with it.
(y) I really like this one and well done to Mr JG for helping.
I can imagine the look I'd get for suggesting a trip to the beach at that time of night ! He already thinks I'm :wacky: Mr JG's just given up on me and goes for the quiet life, I think. :)

Great and simple shot well executed :) Splashes of colour and the breaking wave just make it :)

Good stuff Jean!!
Thanks John - glad you like it.
And as for the words....

"5 Constructing a photogenic sandcastle takes longer than 5 minutes."

What an observation :) Love it :)

"6 I'm determined to get next week's shot nailed earlier, and take more care over the tecchie bits."
Ha ha ha! I just knew I'd regret saying that.

Should be EASY :) Ha ha ha again. :p

Corky is spot on, reminds me of fun days out at the beach as a kid.

Good take on the theme Jean, well done.

Ah sandcastles they were / are fun. Great idea, think I would have preffered a lower angle but that's just me being picky..

Mark(y)

Ah sandcastles they were / are fun. Great idea, think I would have preffered a lower angle but that's just me being picky..

Mark(y)

Mark, I did try to get a lower angle (just for you :)) but the horizon got in the way and looked odd. Mr JG looked a bit odd, too, when I suggested a rebuilding project to get more height. :LOL:

Jean

Aaah jean so many memories of sand in places that annoy and me mam n nan having no patience for my complaining :LOL: :LOL:

I love your point number 4 by the way gave me and Mr D a right chuckle!

Once again I love the composition/colouring of this shot!! :clap: :clap:

Great! an EASY one this week. It's what we've all been asking/hoping for - so why didn't I find it living up to its name. :bonk:

For once, ideas came thick and fast - easy as pie/pi, easy rider, easy peasy, an 'easy' photo - one within my comfort zone, etc, etc, but none of them seemed to have a picture attached to them, and I made the stupid mistake of looking at several other people's Easy solutions.

There they all were - all the ideas, executed beautifully and far more creatively than I would have done them. :bonk:

So, I ended up with 'It's Easy When you Know How':

Yeah I know it's only a tray of fairy cakes, (cue 'Your M&S' music here) but these are Gluten Free Fairy Cakes. We have 2 small grandsons, and one of the ways I wanted to be a traditional granny to them was by doing fun things like making gooey cakes and jam tarts with them and enjoying them licking the bowl out, etc - all children should get to do stuff like that, in my opinion. But one grandson is on a gluten and dairy free diet, so normal cakes are a big no-no.

I had some spectacularly dismal failures with GF ingredients to start off with. But gradually, I adapted this, changed that, put in a bit of something else, until I found a recipe that worked - every time. And they taste like 'proper' cakes. :D So, now I know how - it's EASY. :)

Lessons learned:

1 Despite my best intentions last week, I still didn't get my photo done until this morning. I really am going to do better next week.

2 It's a while since I've used such a shallow dof and I've forgotten how quickly the focus can shift from one place to another.

3 Shooting freshly baked cakes very early in the morning is good - because even I wasn't tempted to eat them - well, only one. :LOL:

4 This week's shot has inspired me to get some more practice in with the macro lens.

5 And do more baking. :D

6 Last week sand all over the tripod and camera, this week - icing sugar. :bang:

Thanks for looking

Jean

Hi Jean, a good idea for the shot, my youngest still loves making cakes and shes off to secondary school shotly, she'll be making them on her own soon.

I was going to say there is a better shot in there with a bit of a crop, loosing the dead space (oof bit at the bottom), but you know what, the more I look at it the more it, the more it kind of just works for me.

I like the two curves of the cupcake holders that meet top middle to left, thats the strongest bit of the image for me and it pulls my eye to it.

I want a cupcake :dummy:

Very nice Jean... that's worked very well, the DOF is great. As for GF cookery... what a mare.... My wife is a coeliac on a GF diet and it's really hard, well done on getting GF cakes that aren't either cardboard or powder :D...

I was going to say there is a better shot in there with a bit of a crop, loosing the dead space (oof bit at the bottom), but you know what, the more I look at it the more it, the more it kind of just works for me.

I like the two curves of the cupcake holders that meet top middle to left, thats the strongest bit of the image for me and it pulls my eye to it.

I want a cupcake :dummy:

Thanks for your comments, Hyster. This was a very hard crop and I felt there was a 'better' crop in there somewhere - but couldn't 'find' it. I think I'll have to bake some more and have another go. :LOL: You're welcome to share them. :D

Very nice Jean... that's worked very well, the DOF is great. As for GF cookery... what a mare.... My wife is a coeliac on a GF diet and it's really hard, well done on getting GF cakes that aren't either cardboard or powder :D...

Thanks John. You're right - trying to maintain a gluten-free diet is hard. I accidentally made my grandson some ordinary toast the other day - but, bless him, he spotted it and told me! I should think for your wife, eating out is a huge nightmare. And gluten lurks in the unlikliest of products. :thumbsdown:

Jean

Really like the abstract nature of this shot Jean, and as I currently don´t even have a macro lens it´s something I couldn´t even attempt:clap::clap::clap:

I think there´s just enough detail to work out what they are (y)

As for your ideas for this week I had them all too, and I was singing the Lionel Ritchie song all week as well!!! :puke:

But no one seems to have got the connection between my photo and the theme, and it´s the one thing missing from your list of possibilites.

EASY = Piece of Cake :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Catch up time...

The good news: I love your fun shot. It's the epitome of fun family holidays at the British sea-side that I had as a kid! I love the "real" feeling to this - I can feel the texture of the sand, hear the waves, and smell the sea. Great take on the theme :clap::clap:

The not so good news: I'm sorry but I'm not loving Easy. I like the top half but the OOF white at the bottom half is a bit too much for me I'm afraid.

Really like the abstract nature of this shot Jean, and as I currently don´t even have a macro lens it´s something I couldn´t even attempt:

I think there´s just enough detail to work out what they are

As for your ideas for this week I had them all too, and I was singing the Lionel Ritchie song all week as well!!!

But no one seems to have got the connection between my photo and the theme, and it´s the one thing missing from your list of possibilites.

EASY = Piece of Cake :LOL::LOL:

Thanks Jill - It didn't start out as an abstract but it looked a bit boring 'as is' with a greater dof. "Easy = piece of cake" :bonk: :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Catch up time...

The good news: I love your fun shot. It's the epitome of fun family holidays at the British sea-side that I had as a kid! I love the "real" feeling to this - I can feel the texture of the sand, hear the waves, and smell the sea. Great take on the theme :clap::clap:

The not so good news: I'm sorry but I'm not loving Easy. I like the top half but the OOF white at the bottom half is a bit too much for me I'm afraid.

DS - I'm really pleased you like the Fun shot - thanks. Thanks also for being honest about Easy - I always respect your views and I know when you say you like something you mean it. :) Next time I bake I'll have another go. :)

Jean

An excellent reason (excuse) to bake again again I'd say ;)

Hi Jean sorry for the delay on your Fun shot... I love it...:love:

simple and straight to the point, brings back the good old days as a kid with not a care in the world...(what ever happened to that feeling:()

Easy works for me every time love your focus and view of the cakes, and like all good shots you keep looking to see more and more...brilliant...:clap::clap::clap:

Back