jeangenie's 52 for 2010 - Week 26 Beginnings

Nice one Jean, for a tough and nasty theme. Glad he's found, safe and sound.

Great shot of the doggy - like many shots this week (especially including mine) the link to quality is tenuous, but a lovely capture anyway!

Phil

Hi Jean, what a harrowing time for you. Glad that you found Clyde safe and sound. He is a gorgeous little thing and it's a lovely (quality) photo. DOF is good and I love the catchlights in his eyes. I also like your square crops.

I understand how you must have been feeling. We don't have any dogs but we lost our son once on a crowded beach. The lifeguards eventually found him after an hour or so. I think the experience probably took 10 years off my life.

Jenny

I laughed at your crowbar Jean - very different but definitely isolated.

As for your dear little dog- what a worry. I know I would be horrified if mine went missing and she is a big dog not a little thing like yours. So glad you found him.He's a quality dog.

Sue

glad Clyde is safe and sound. He looks a real cutey.

Thanks JL. :)

Hi Jean,

Just catching up.......... love the idea for Isolation........ was a bit of a weird week that one....... as you say anything on its own is Isolated.... 10/10 for comedy value.

Week 22 - Seems Clyde is quite adventurous....... glad he's ok though.... really nice crisp shot with the focus in the right place!

Thank you, Lynton. I'm glad the crobar made you laugh, and for once even I was pleased with the shot of Clyde! :)

Awww so glad Clyde is home safe. A friends Jack Russel went missing a week or so ago and hasn't been found, we thinks she was taken by a group of young lads :(

This is such a sweet picture! I hadn't noticed the green until you pointed it out :LOL:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's JR - I can really feel for them, especially after Clyde going missing. JRs are resourceful escape artists, though, so he could still turn up. I do hope so. Please give your friend a :hug: from me.

The stop shot works well for me, as without an anchor all sorts of trouble could be on the horizon. Heheh :)

You just managed to crowbar the crowbar into the shot nicely. Good lighting and texture on the bar, stands out well against the white BG.

Definately Quality as we have two of them and they are dead cute. One is due to drop in a couple of weeks time.

Allan

Thanks Allan. We've got 2 Yorkies as well - both boys. One definitely isn't enough! :LOL: I'm looking forward to lots and lots of cute Yorkie pics in your 52 in a couple of weeks - no matter how big the crowbar has to be. Do you know how many puppies she's expecting?

Nice one Jean, for a tough and nasty theme. Glad he's found, safe and sound.

Thank you very much, John. :)

Great shot of the doggy - like many shots this week (especially including mine) the link to quality is tenuous, but a lovely capture anyway!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. It was a difficult theme and I still haven't got round to looking at other interpretations. :bang:

Hi Jean, what a harrowing time for you. Glad that you found Clyde safe and sound. He is a gorgeous little thing and it's a lovely (quality) photo. DOF is good and I love the catchlights in his eyes. I also like your square crops.

I understand how you must have been feeling. We don't have any dogs but we lost our son once on a crowded beach. The lifeguards eventually found him after an hour or so. I think the experience probably took 10 years off my life.

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny. I do seem to be doing a lot of square crops just lately, but sometimes they seem to lift an ok picture into something a little better, I hope. ;)

We've lost both of our children for short times when they were small and I still remember the sheer terror and frantic anxiety - but an hour is a long time for a little boy to go missing. You must have been sooo relieved when he was found. :)

I laughed at your crowbar Jean - very different but definitely isolated.

As for your dear little dog- what a worry. I know I would be horrified if mine went missing and she is a big dog not a little thing like yours. So glad you found him.He's a quality dog.

Sue

Thank you Sue. :)

Jean

Haha! Love the crowbar of the crowbar! :LOL:

Oh dear, another theme that didn't inspire me much. I could only think of the obvious - a post. :bang::bang::bang:

But I hope I gain a few marks for finding a post with a post box on top of it - and posting it in this thread. :shrug:

Neither the post nor the postbox were vertical, so given that the theme is 'Post' the post got the straightening (more or less!) Sorry it's predictable and boring - I need a great inspirational theme for Week 24. :)

C & C most welcome. :)

Jean

I would have liked to you get in closer for the texture and lettering. The words Royal Mail seem to stand out really well and would work well in capturing the eye. Unfortunately as it is the white area on the floor keeps attracting my eye. Perhaps a crop off the bottom would get rid of the white bit, or clone some grass in there.

Allan

Well it fits the theme anyway Jean. I think I would crop it a bit, lose the patch at the bottom and a bit from the two sides.You could maybe up the colour saturation a bit too, not too much though or you get funny coloured grass.:)
Sue

I would have liked to you get in closer for the texture and lettering. The words Royal Mail seem to stand out really well and would work well in capturing the eye. Unfortunately as it is the white area on the floor keeps attracting my eye. Perhaps a crop off the bottom would get rid of the white bit, or clone some grass in there.

Allan

Thanks Allan - I totally take your point about getting a better shot of the lettering. I didn't think of that - because I was fixated on a Post Box on a Post! :bang: I did think about cloning out the path but close up the buttercups then looked odd. I did clone out the road, though!

Well it fits the theme anyway Jean. I think I would crop it a bit, lose the patch at the bottom and a bit from the two sides.You could maybe up the colour saturation a bit too, not too much though or you get funny coloured grass.:)
Sue

Thanks Sue. It's a bit of a nothingy shot, isn't it. :( It was very, very bright and I was shooting straight into the sun - and when I tried to increase the saturation the white blew. I should have quick masked it out - damm :bang: I really wanted to take this shot at sunset - there's this postbox and a telephone box right on the very edge of the village and looking west there's nothing but open Forest, which makes it look an odd place to have such stark reminders of human communication. But, sod's law - I couldn't get out there when there was a half-way decent sunset. :bang:

Roll on next week. :D

Jean

great crowbar shot!.. perfect :D

oh what a worry for you with clyde.. so glad you got him back quickly.. lovely shot, he's a cute little fella.. one of my cats went AWOL for 9 months so know the feeling..

like the 'jaunty angle' of the post box.. great spot to find one on a post ;)

Well it works for post in more ways than one... even if the box is wonky ;)... I think I'd have been tempted by a landscape crop, leave the box and some of the post in...

Nice take on the theme, I would agree that a slightly tighter crop would improve it.
Good colour and the wonkiness of the post adds to the shot for me.

My heart was sinking when I read your post about Clyde and I'm so glad that it had a happy ending.
Seems like he made up for all the worry he put you through by being accommodating with his pose. I think that this is the best shot I've seen of him (y)
Absolutely beautiful and definitely one worthy of printing and keeping.

You managed to get 3 types of post in your explanation though which is very impressive :LOL:

I think it's all been said already about the composition, so I can't add anything there.
Given the lighting conditions I think it's come out very well and there's lovely contrast in the raised lettering. Just maybe not the most exciting subject matter, despite fitting the theme :shrug:

As has been said a tighter crop may have worked better, but as it is its a good shot. Love the fact that its not straight as it adds a bit more interest

great crowbar shot!.. perfect

oh what a worry for you with clyde.. so glad you got him back quickly.. lovely shot, he's a cute little fella.. one of my cats went AWOL for 9 months so know the feeling..

like the 'jaunty angle' of the post box.. great spot to find one on a post ;)

Thanks for taking the time to catch up - it always seems quite daunting to me when I get behind with comments! I can't imagine how you must have felt when you cat went missing for so long - had you given up hope of getting him back? I don't suppose you know where he was either - but cats are so much more resourceful than dogs. :)

Well it works for post in more ways than one... even if the box is wonky ;)... I think I'd have been tempted by a landscape crop, leave the box and some of the post in...

I never thought of a landscape shot, John. Although, tbh, if I had I wouldn't have tried it because I've cloned a whole road out across the picture. :nuts:

Nice take on the theme, I would agree that a slightly tighter crop would improve it.
Good colour and the wonkiness of the post adds to the shot for me.

It's not like me not to crop in hard, Steve, but I wanted to retain the whole post - I don't know why, except I plead tiredness and lack of time. :bang:

Jean, this is bang on theme - postbox on a post - so well done. I would also have cropped it a bit to lose the path, but I like the crazy angle of the postbox. It makes it more interesting.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. The wonky post box makes it feel more 'rural' somehow. :D

My heart was sinking when I read your post about Clyde and I'm so glad that it had a happy ending.
Seems like he made up for all the worry he put you through by being accommodating with his pose. I think that this is the best shot I've seen of him
Absolutely beautiful and definitely one worthy of printing and keeping.

You managed to get 3 types of post in your explanation though which is very impressive :LOL:

I think it's all been said already about the composition, so I can't add anything there.
Given the lighting conditions I think it's come out very well and there's lovely contrast in the raised lettering. Just maybe not the most exciting subject matter, despite fitting the theme :shrug:

Thanks for taking the time to comment in so much detail, Sarah - I know you've been ultra busy just lately! :)

I'm glad you like the Clyde shot - he's a bit of a poseur anyway, but he was more accommodating than usual. Perhaps he was glad to be back home. :)

I agree about the Post theme. What can you say about a wonky letterbox! I only wish I'd thought of a radioactive hallway! ;)

As has been said a tighter crop may have worked better, but as it is its a good shot. Love the fact that its not straight as it adds a bit more interest

Thanks, Darren. I pleased you like it.

Jean

I'm with the tighter crop and also a saturation boost on the red to make it stand out more.

Nicely shot though and bang on theme.

Dan

Catching up here...

Stop: the anchor is an original interpretation, and you have managed the difficult lighting well. I like the different shapes and textures in this.

Isolation: great crowbar shot! :LOL: Beautifully executed with its plain white background, it certainly fits the theme. Border sets it off very well.

Quality: what a cutie! :love: A lovely picture and I'm so glad it all ended happily.

Post: not a very inspiring, was it - I think we all struggled with this one. I would crop it a bit closer but I like the colours and yes, you deserve credit for finding a post on a post!

Isolation....And the winner for this years entire 52 crowbar award goes to.........

YOU!
Quality-escape artist....I know that feeling all too well and it is pure panic, glad to know he is home and safe. I have a term for mine when they give me that look and it's 'little ****er!'

Post... Ok extra marks for Post box on a post :LOL:. Simple shot, could you have gone a little wider and shown more of it's location?

(y)

I'm with the tighter crop and also a saturation boost on the red to make it stand out more.

Nicely shot though and bang on theme.

Dan

Thank you Dan. I think I could have got a lot more out of this with more time and effort - eg at sunset, with a stunning view across the Forest in the background - but it's something I'll have to save for later. :)

Catching up here...

Stop: the anchor is an original interpretation, and you have managed the difficult lighting well. I like the different shapes and textures in this.

Isolation: great crowbar shot! :LOL: Beautifully executed with its plain white background, it certainly fits the theme. Border sets it off very well.

Quality: what a cutie! :love: A lovely picture and I'm so glad it all ended happily.

Post: not a very inspiring, was it - I think we all struggled with this one. I would crop it a bit closer but I like the colours and yes, you deserve credit for finding a post on a post!

Thanks Tracer. It's hard to keep up with weekly comments, so I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. :)

Isolation....And the winner for this years entire 52 crowbar award goes to.........

YOU!
Quality-escape artist....I know that feeling all too well and it is pure panic, glad to know he is home and safe. I have a term for mine when they give me that look and it's 'little ****er!'

Post... Ok extra marks for Post box on a post :LOL:. Simple shot, could you have gone a little wider and shown more of it's location?

(y)

Wow - I'd have used a bigger crowbar if I'd known!!! :) Thanks for the comments. I'm still having bad dreams about losing Clyde - the little ******!

That post box is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, with a phone box. I'm sure there's a much better shot to be had but I can't work out what it is at the moment. :D

Jean

I'm sorry this week's effort is totally lacking any inspiration for me. I've had a manically busy week and this is a quick grab shot of the bandstand in Christchurch Harbour. There are lots of interesting metal things around - traditional lamposts, lovely iron railings around the Priory, fabulous metal hinges on the Priory door, - all sorts of stuff, but I just haven't had time (or, tbh, much enthusiasm) this week. My mojo's definitely gone awol. :(:crying:

So I shall make myself find inspiration when there's a reshoot week and try and put some creative effort into the Metal theme.

I'll still be greatful for your comments, although I realise I'm not giving you much to get excited about.

After next week, I hope to get back to commenting on other people's work - I've neglected you all very badly just lately, but I'm hoping life will quieten down soon! :)

Jean

I know what it is like when life gets insanely busy - hope it quietens down for you soon.

The picture is a nice record of an attractive bandstand and I'm sure with more time you could do something more creative with all that fancy ironwork. Harsh sunlight like this is very hard to manage and you could try reducing the contrast a little. I don't know if you shoot RAW but it is much easier to handle this kind of lighting if you do.

Jean I too hope you find your mojo :)
I like your bandstand image, lots of detail in there for the eye to look at. Its sharp, colourful and on theme. My only critique is the background is a bit busy, maybe a lower perspective could have isolated the top of the bandstand more against the clear blue sky. You may not be able to get the whole bandstand in but theres lots of detail in it to hold the eye.
Keep going, keep smiling, your mojo is there, it'll return.:D Iain

I sympathise Jean.
The last two or three weeks have just been sheer madness for me and the last few themes haven't done much for me either.

You always take the time to give really detailed and thoughtful C&C so you of all people deserve a week or two off when life gets in the way.
Hoping you get your mojo back soon, but looking at this week's theme I kind of doubt it :shake:

As for the bandstand, I actually quite like this (and I'm not just being polite)
The b/g is on the cluttered side, and it could do with some PP to try and bring some detail out of the shadows - the baskets etc.
But it's an interesting building, some really strong shapes and angles and I like the way that it stands out against the blue sky. There's something fascinating about all those geometric shapes that keeps pulling my eye back to it.

I know what it is like when life gets insanely busy - hope it quietens down for you soon.

The picture is a nice record of an attractive bandstand and I'm sure with more time you could do something more creative with all that fancy ironwork. Harsh sunlight like this is very hard to manage and you could try reducing the contrast a little. I don't know if you shoot RAW but it is much easier to handle this kind of lighting if you do.

Thanks, Tracer - I'm really appreciate your comments on what I know is in all honesty, just a place marker shot. Yes, I always shoot Raw +jpeg, but I had no time at all last week and just usm'd the jpeg! That's really slack, I know, but my brain was was away somewhere with my mojo. :(

Jean I too hope you find your mojo :)
I like your bandstand image, lots of detail in there for the eye to look at. Its sharp, colourful and on theme. My only critique is the background is a bit busy, maybe a lower perspective could have isolated the top of the bandstand more against the clear blue sky. You may not be able to get the whole bandstand in but theres lots of detail in it to hold the eye.
Keep going, keep smiling, your mojo is there, it'll return.:D Iain

Thanks Iain - for the nice comments and encouragement - it really does help. After this week life should be a bit more manageable and I really should go back for a reshoot. Christchurch has loads to offer photographically, and I've never really 'done' it.

Mind you, if my mojo returns for Grunge - I'll eat the bandstand. :LOL:

I sympathise Jean.
The last two or three weeks have just been sheer madness for me and the last few themes haven't done much for me either.

You always take the time to give really detailed and thoughtful C&C so you of all people deserve a week or two off when life gets in the way.
Hoping you get your mojo back soon, but looking at this week's theme I kind of doubt it :shake:

As for the bandstand, I actually quite like this (and I'm not just being polite)
The b/g is on the cluttered side, and it could do with some PP to try and bring some detail out of the shadows - the baskets etc.
But it's an interesting building, some really strong shapes and angles and I like the way that it stands out against the blue sky. There's something fascinating about all those geometric shapes that keeps pulling my eye back to it.

Thank you Sarah - you always seem totally on top of your 52 photos, so it's comforting to know you have hard weeks too. :) And your feedback is always thoughtful and inspirational. :)

As I said to Iain, I must go back for a reshoot - it is a very interesting town, and only about 10 miles from home. :)

Jean

That's a lovely looking bandstand Jean, and I think, as has been said, it's a little busy in the background... But let's turn that around... this is a deep look at all the metal that's around the metal bandstand... cars, chairs, the bandstand, the signs, the boxes, the posts, the roof lines etc...

Why is it that this year has been so mad for everyone ?

time constraints are a bugger and trying to fit this challenge in to daily life is very testing. Maybe to get your mojo back you could look at some more abstract shots of the stand rather than the whole thing. It may give you a different focus. I like your post shot, the box looks a bit awkward and gangly and you have captured it well. Its a pity for us all and dwindling inspiration that grunge is next up, good luck.

Got to agree with the others Jean. The background is just a little too busy, but it is a very nice structure and I'm sure you could get something a little more dramatic.

That's a lovely looking bandstand Jean, and I think, as has been said, it's a little busy in the background... But let's turn that around... this is a deep look at all the metal that's around the metal bandstand... cars, chairs, the bandstand, the signs, the boxes, the posts, the roof lines etc...

Why is it that this year has been so mad for everyone ?

The bandstand is lovely, John and thank you very much for finding all the other Metal in the background. :)

As to why life is so mad - I could write a book! But it's very frustrating when other commitments come between you and your camera. :)

I like the bandstand. It has lovely decorative metal. I would have cloned out the distracting bright things, especially the blue umbrella and the traffic cone.
I hope you get some more time this week.
Sue

Sue - I didn't even see the blue umbrella. :bonk: I briefly thought about the traffic cone but time was so short I thought it better to leave it in than remove it badly. :eek:

time constraints are a bugger and trying to fit this challenge in to daily life is very testing. Maybe to get your mojo back you could look at some more abstract shots of the stand rather than the whole thing. It may give you a different focus. I like your post shot, the box looks a bit awkward and gangly and you have captured it well. Its a pity for us all and dwindling inspiration that grunge is next up, good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. There must be lots of opportunities for abstract shots both in the bandstand and other street furniture around that location. I'm annoyed that I was too distracted and busy to seize the opportunity to do something better. I doubt if I'll even get a Grunge shot in this week - and I hate missing the Sunday deadline. :bang: :(

Got to agree with the others Jean. The background is just a little too busy, but it is a very nice structure and I'm sure you could get something a little more dramatic.

Thanks for the comments, Paul. I could easily have adjusted the dof - I just didn't think - grrrrr .... :bang:

Jean

It does seem a lovely bandstand and well worth another visit to do it justice.

I know you are not happy with this shot and I also know that you are capable of so much more. It seems that most of us have had a bad time of it for the last few weeks.

I can't really add anything that hasn't alreday been said. The background is very busy. Perhaps visit again when there is a band in there. Brass is a metal ;)

Andy

Well, I've celebrated the return to Grunge by being late! I had a shot in mind which I couldn't get until this morning - and then I still couldn't get it. Grrrrr ......

So I resisted the Pile of Poo, and chose a fallen, half decayed tree trunk. Not exactly Grunge, but the best I could do this morning.

It's yet another not very interesting shot - seems to be my speciality at the moment. :( I really need to up my game, but inspiration still deserts me.

All c&c is still very welcome - and thanks for looking. :)

Jean

Hi Jean - grunge was a nasty theme and I think your idea was a good one in the circumstances. Unfortunately the resulting image is rather messy with no clear subject or focal point and the whole picture has a similar colouration. I tried playing with it in Lightroom to bring out one aspect but gave up!

Never mind - lots of potential for this week's topic!

Phil

Jean, sorry, but I have to agree with Phil... it's a great idea, but doesn't have a clear enough focal point.. A real close up may have worked better. There's just not enough separation of the log from the background

:thinking: Well I suppose that a pile of poo (whether it was literal or metaphorical) could have been very grungy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
But I'm glad that we got the rotten tree instead.

And quite honestly it's OK. I just know that you're capable of far better. Although to be fair grunge is a :puke: theme even when you're feeling creative and inspired.

Let's hope that beginnings brings your mojo back.

The theme this week was poop so full credit for getting a shot in.
It would have worked better if the background wasn't so messy but thats not something you really had control over.
Looking forward to seeing your shot for this weeks theme

Hi Jean,

Sorry to hear you are having an uphill struggle. The themes have been pretty difficult recently.

I think your bandstand idea has potential but as mentioned there is too much distraction in the photo. I think focussing in on some of the intricate metalwork may have worked better.

Grunge is a horrendous theme and well done for posting. I had difficulty making out the subject matter but eventually figured it out. I would have been tempted to saturate the colours a bit more.

Hope you get more inspiration for this week's theme.

Jenny

Back