jeangenie's 52 for 2010 - Week 26 Beginnings

Its been said above about the dof Jean, so I won't labour the point.
I like your image though, its got a lot that is right about it. The colours for one are vivid which is a favourite of mine, the composition works too and the plain white background really sets the image off.
Go on!! buy some more cakes and do a reshoot, you know you want to:LOL:
Iain

The colours and comp work great Jean, and they look very indulgent indeed... so fit the theme. I don't mind the oof cake in the foreground, but the 100's and 1000's on the second cake as they go through the almost in focus are doing my eyes in...

A brilliant subject for the theme Jean. Really indulgent.

Has anybody mentioned the DOF ? :LOL:

Sorry but I have to agree with the others. I think it's because the foreground is OOF. It doesn't look right. The natural view is for the distance to be OOF.

Andy

I had several ideas for this one, but the week has flown by with no chance to try them out. That's so frustrating - in a quiet week you have no ideas, in a manic week you have ideas but no time. :bang:

So it's time for a very, very large crowbar. ;)

I've been watching a male blackbird collecting food for a while, clearly feeding chicks and on Monday the chicks finally made their debut out of the nest. Mum and Dad were fussing round and the youngsters were behaving like prima donnas - chirping, flapping wings and gaping to demand food. So my Ingredients shot is:

Ingredients to make a baby blackbird, as supplied by dad:

This little chap/ette was exercising wings one at a time, and the shape behind him is, in fact a flapping wing. :)

This comes with two apologies:

1 I'm sorry for employing such a maaasssive crowbar - it was this or nothing! :bang:

2 I'm sorry it's such poor quality - it's a massive crop and I've processed it in a hurry to get it posted tonight - we're due to go away for a week very early tomorrow (volcano willing!) :(

I'll try and do Week 20 while I'm away and although it'll be late, I hope to be back on track! And I'll caqtch up on other people's threads then as well. :)

Jean

Yep - a crowbar, but forgiven (by me! - but I don't count) - what a truly great shot.......

Here's hoping you get away, guessing you will be LGW or LHR, so maybe OK depending on departure time, East Mids and Norwich are closed as of now.............

I don't understand why the planes cannot fly at say 10,000 ft until they hit clear air......

You've caught a fantastic moment there - agreed it could be clearer, but a really good capture nonetheless,

Phil

Indulgence - great composition and colours against one of your lovely white backgrounds. I'd prefer a bit more DOF, though. The foreground pastry doesn't bother me so much but I find the effect of the OOF coloured sprinkles on the left a bit disturbing.

Ingredients - love it, even though it is not technically perfect. Well done for capturing it.

Jean, hope you managed to get away on holiday. I also hope you manage to get back! Enjoy it wherever you are.

Definitely a crowbar shot this week, but it's really lovely. You have caught it at a great angle. You can see right down its throat. They are so demanding aren't they? Makes me glad my kids have grown up!

Jenny

Hi Jean, so sorry I've been AWOL for so long, only seeing your thread now.
I really like your Oyster shot. And Indulgence.
Ingrredients does nothing for me unfortunatley. It's either OOF, or just very heavily compressed[or cropped??] Which is a shame cos is otherwise an awesome capture!

Hopefully will find some more time to pop back soon!

I agere with the others. Despite the technicalities and what is clearly a large crop, I think it's a marvellous example of mother nature. Who cares about crowbars!

Sometimes technical perfection isn't the be all and end all. It's content all the way with this shot and a big (y) from me.

Hope you are having (had?) a good holiday!

Ian.

That's a great moment caught Jean, the loss in quality from the monster crop, doesn't detract from that. It might be a bit of a crowbar, but you know, it doesn't matter.

Hope you have a great week on hols.

Yep - a crowbar, but forgiven (by me! - but I don't count) - what a truly great shot....... If you're fogiving my cheeky crowbar shot - you most definitely do count! :LOL: I'm glad you like it.

Here's hoping you get away, guessing you will be LGW or LHR, so maybe OK depending on departure time, East Mids and Norwich are closed as of now.............

I don't understand why the planes cannot fly at say 10,000 ft until they hit clear air...... We were flying from Bournemouth and had just a 4-hour delay. They're not allowed to fly commercial jets that low, and I think they use loads more fuel at low altitudes, reducing their range. I'm glad we didn't have any serious delays though, as it looks as though the insurance companies aren't too keen to pay up! :rules: :(

You've caught a fantastic moment there - agreed it could be clearer, but a really good capture nonetheless,

Phil

Thanks Phil - it's amazing how much baby birds eat! :LOL:

Indulgence - great composition and colours against one of your lovely white backgrounds. I'd prefer a bit more DOF, though. The foreground pastry doesn't bother me so much but I find the effect of the OOF coloured sprinkles on the left a bit disturbing.

Ingredients - love it, even though it is not technically perfect. Well done for capturing it.

Thanks, Tracer. I'll have to reshoot Indulgence sometime and I'm glad you can forgive the glaring imperfections in Ingredients! :)

Jean, hope you managed to get away on holiday. I also hope you manage to get back! Enjoy it wherever you are.

Definitely a crowbar shot this week, but it's really lovely. You have caught it at a great angle. You can see right down its throat. They are so demanding aren't they? Makes me glad my kids have grown up!

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. We went to Menorca, and it was very relaxing - just what we needed. The wild flowers were beautiful!

Seeing those blackbirds working all day to care for their kids makes me glad ours are grown up - although we've got the grandchildren next week. :LOL:

A very cute shot Jean and well caught. It isnt perfect technically as you have said but it is a pleasant shot.Have a good holiday.
Sue

Thanks Sue. One week on, those babies are looking very mature! The holiday was lovely, thank you! :)

Last edited:
Brilliant timing Jean I love this one. Hope you got away ok. :)

Thanks - but I'm kicking myself it wasn't technically better! :)

well caught - hope you got away ok

Thank you kindly - and yes, we got away ok - and got back. :)

Hi Jean, so sorry I've been AWOL for so long, only seeing your thread now.
I really like your Oyster shot. And Indulgence.
Ingrredients does nothing for me unfortunatley. It's either OOF, or just very heavily compressed[or cropped??] Which is a shame cos is otherwise an awesome capture!

Hopefully will find some more time to pop back soon!

Hi - great to see you :wave: Ingredients was indeed a huge huge crop, and I'd really liked to have got it technically good, but I just grabbed the moment. I guess that's photography for you - sometimes things work, and sometimes .... well! :D

I agere with the others. Despite the technicalities and what is clearly a large crop, I think it's a marvellous example of mother nature. Who cares about crowbars!

Sometimes technical perfection isn't the be all and end all. It's content all the way with this shot and a big (y) from me.

Hope you are having (had?) a good holiday!

Ian.

Thanks Ian, I've never had quite such a good view down a blackbird's thoat before! :eek: I can't believe I've just said that. :LOL:

That's a great moment caught Jean, the loss in quality from the monster crop, doesn't detract from that. It might be a bit of a crowbar, but you know, it doesn't matter.

Hope you have a great week on hols.

Thanks, John. I was pleased with catching the moment but it's the frustrations of getting the 'moment' and the technicalities right that make togging so addictive, I guess. :thinking: :)

Jean

Catching up with my 52s is harder than I thought it would be! One week away and I'm getting way behind.

Anyway, we had a great week in Menorca, with lovely weather and only a minor delay due to the ash cloud. I struggled to find a subject for 'Stop', but eventually settled on a fearsome-looking sea anchor on a boat moored in the harbour.

Technically, it was straightforward, apart from very bright midday sun bouncing off the white boats, and the 'prongs' of the anchor being in deep shadow. :D I've done a bit of tweaking in curves to lift the shadows, and I tried b&w but it didn't improve things! :)

Comments, as usual, most welcome. I'll catch up with all your 52s just as soon as I can. :)

Jean

Welcome back Jean, glad you had a great week that wasn't spoilt by that Volcano (which I'm not going to try and spell ;)).

It doesn't look like the easiest shot to get with the lighting conditions going on, but you've done a nice job on that, not blowing the boat totally, which would be way too easy, and still getting some detail in the under side of the anchor. Good lines with the anchor itself, and it fits the theme perfectly. That surely ought to stop that boat.

Ingredients....tad crowbar ish :D heavy crop but it's a great shot to capture parent and sibling.

Stop...Very important piece of equipement to stop you from drifting off. I think the bright sun and shadows work well together.

(y)

Welcome back Jean, glad you had a great week that wasn't spoilt by that Volcano (which I'm not going to try and spell ;)).

It doesn't look like the easiest shot to get with the lighting conditions going on, but you've done a nice job on that, not blowing the boat totally, which would be way too easy, and still getting some detail in the under side of the anchor. Good lines with the anchor itself, and it fits the theme perfectly. That surely ought to stop that boat.

Thanks, John. It's hard to believe how bright the sun was after the dull, miserable and wet weather we've had here today! :)

Yes glad you had a lovely time Jean!.... I think you have handled the difficult lighting really well (y) nice subject matter for the theme too ...well done!

Thank you Sonia - I apprciate the comments. :)

Ingredients....tad crowbar ish :D heavy crop but it's a great shot to capture parent and sibling.

Stop...Very important piece of equipement to stop you from drifting off. I think the bright sun and shadows work well together.

(y)

Thank you kindly, Scott. :) It would be good to have that sunshine here this week-end! :D

Jean

Hi Jean, glad you had a good holiday :)

I like this shot - really stong lines which I personally like, and the watery background keeps it in context. :)

This really is a tongue-in-cheek crowbar shot! I give you ...

A Crowbar in Isolation:

I decided that pretty much one of anything on its own could be considered in 'Isolation'. So, with Sunday evening looming large on the horizon, I just chose the thing we all turn to in a bad-ideas week. :LOL: :exit:

C & C welcome. I've donnned full protective clothing and am ready to duck out of the way! :LOL: :)

Jean

Jean, 10/10 from me too.
Creative and individual interpretation on the theme. I like the lighting, composition, dof and framing on this. Nice one (y)
Iain

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's the crowbarriest of crowbar shots that I've ever seen !!!!
But it is isolated. Perfect background, the shadow works well and there's some great rusty texture in it.
It's very well executed and made me smile so that's got to be another 10/10.

Glad that you had a good holiday and well done for not falling behind. As somebody who had a lapse a couple of weeks ago, once you're more than 1 week behind it starts feeling impossible to catch back up.

Stop : Well given the lighting you had to work with I think that's come out brilliantly.
It's definitely on theme - and quite a fearsome looking method of stopping too!

:clap: oh very good Jean... it might be a crowbar, but it fits the theme perfectly, so I don't think you can use the crowbar with it this week. another 10/10 from me.

Well it is Isolated :LOL:
Really got DOF and lovely and sharp

Thanks, Darren. :)

ha ha 10/10 for the idea, looking at the shadow the crowbar has cast it could be an advert for Nike.

Thank you. :) I hadn't noticed the Nike shadow - I hope it doesn't count as copyright infringement. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really like this Jean and for some unknown reason it brings a smile to my face every time I look at it! I think I would have preferred a slightly higher camera position so you could see the curve of the crowbar but that is just me.

Glad you like it. I did try a higher position but my piece of white card wasn't the right shape! I really must invest in a larger backdrop! :)

Jean, 10/10 from me too.
Creative and individual interpretation on the theme. I like the lighting, composition, dof and framing on this. Nice one (y)
Iain

Thanks, Iain. ;)

Jean

:LOL: :LOL:

That's the crowbarriest of crowbar shots that I've ever seen !!!!
But it is isolated. Perfect background, the shadow works well and there's some great rusty texture in it.
It's very well executed and made me smile so that's got to be another 10/10.

Glad that you had a good holiday and well done for not falling behind. As somebody who had a lapse a couple of weeks ago, once you're more than 1 week behind it starts feeling impossible to catch back up.

Stop : Well given the lighting you had to work with I think that's come out brilliantly.
It's definitely on theme - and quite a fearsome looking method of stopping too!

Thanks, Sarah. I don't think I've ever had so many 10/10s! :D

:clap: oh very good Jean... it might be a crowbar, but it fits the theme perfectly, so I don't think you can use the crowbar with it this week. another 10/10 from me.

Thank you kindly, John, but does that mean I can't use any more crowbars this year? :eek: ;)

LOL, Jean. That is fantastic :D

Very clever idea, very isolated, very well executed (DOF, lighting, colours). I love the shadow too.

Well done :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Awwww - thank you Jenny (looks for blushing smilie!)

:LOL: excellant take on the theme.

Thank you, JL - I was very desperate! :LOL:

Jean

I often try to find some event/occasion etc during the week to fit the theme and when Quality was drawn last Sunday, my immediate reaction was that there were lots of things happening this week which might fit the bill. We were looking after the grandchildren during half-term and there was bound to be some good Quality shots about!

Things didn't go quite to plan - everything from unexpected visitors, to the dishwasher breaking, my car needing a new catalytic converter and part of the new one falling off on the motorway the next day. (There's a national organisation out there which needs to beef up it concept of customer service and not waste three days saying they have to refer it to the Manager/the Area Manager etc, etc. :shake: Sorry! Rant over) Anyway, we finally ended back up at the grandchildren's home - 70+ miles away - on Thursday night. Friday dawned bright and sunny and we set off with children and dogs for a good long walk. There'd be plenty of time later to get that Quality shot!

We got back from the walk and relaxed in the garden with a cool drink, and then after a while realised one of the dogs had gone awol! Those of you who've got pets will know the feeling - disbelief, panic and wondering where to start searching. It's even worse in an area the dog doesn't know - he could have gone anywhere, and he's got no road sense. So we set off searching, calling him, asking passersby. Neighbours offered advice and even joined in the search, the local postie kept seeing us and saying he'd checked the roads he'd delivered to. The Dog Warden tried to reassure us he'd be found.

Eventually after 4 hours, I managed to contact our own neighbour who went to check for messages on our home phone, and there it was! - a message from a lady who'd found Clyde in her front garden and was looking after him. Phew! Big relief all round! Mr JG drove round and collected him, none the worse for his adventure. He must have got through the fence, walked through some woodland and somebody's else's garden and then along the road, before he was found.

So my shot for this week, is -

A Quality Escape Artist, Clyde:

We were so lucky he was found and had an id tag on his collar, but it's a timely reminder if you're taking your dog on holiday, to have your mobile number on the tag, or the number of somebody who can contact you if necessary. I also thought it would have been useful to have a photo of him to show people.

Sorry it's a lot of words this week, but I also want to say a big, big thank you to Clyde's rescuer and all the lovely kind people we talked to in Sandhurst who tried to help. :)

Edit: Oh and I've just noticed the green patch under his chin - he'd standing on the grass and I think it must be a reflection. Grr ...

Jean

Last edited:
Hi Jean,

Just catching up.......... love the idea for Isolation........ was a bit of a weird week that one....... as you say anything on its own is Isolated.... 10/10 for comedy value.

Week 22 - Seems Clyde is quite adventurous....... glad he's ok though.... really nice crisp shot with the focus in the right place!

Awww so glad Clyde is home safe. A friends Jack Russel went missing a week or so ago and hasn't been found, we thinks she was taken by a group of young lads :(

This is such a sweet picture! I hadn't noticed the green until you pointed it out :LOL:

The stop shot works well for me, as without an anchor all sorts of trouble could be on the horizon.

You just managed to crowbar the crowbar into the shot nicely. Good lighting and texture on the bar, stands out well against the white BG.

Definately Quality as we have two of them and they are dead cute. One is due to drop in a couple of weeks time.

Allan

Back