Jenny's 52 for 2010 - Flora & Fauna in an English Country Garden - Week 26 - HALFWAY!

Cute snail & I love the way the flower is isolated against the black background.

Phil.

I have just had a look through your last weeks photos. Your bluebells are beautiful and the shot of the wet pheasant was amusing. I'm not clever enough to give proper critique but I enjoyed looking at your pics.
Sue

Gory? Not at all.

That was a really good idea with the pheasant, and an interesting result to see another pheasant going for it. Shame you didn't get anything on the "stealth cam". Some good action shots there Jenny and a different view on the garden for this week.

I really do like that snail shot. I can almost see him smothered in garlic and roasting away in a pan. Delicious! The lower aperture has really worked well for me.

Ian.

Love the white flower on the black background.
I know it's not your usual outdoorsy stuff, but it really has given it some impact.

And with Gory in the title I couldn't resist clicking in here for the latest week.
Interesting idea with the pheasant and I never would have expected another pheasant to go for it.
Beautifully sharp and some great motion in them. I particularly like (if "like" is the right word for that sort of thing) the second one in the series.

I have just had a look through your last weeks photos. Your bluebells are beautiful and the shot of the wet pheasant was amusing. I'm not clever enough to give proper critique but I enjoyed looking at your pics.
Sue

Thanks, Sue. Photographs are very subjective and it is interesting to see which people prefer.

Wow! not only great photography but also a moving image of the pheasant, great work!

Thanks, David. It makes a change from my usual static pictures.

Gory? Not at all.

That was a really good idea with the pheasant, and an interesting result to see another pheasant going for it. Shame you didn't get anything on the "stealth cam". Some good action shots there Jenny and a different view on the garden for this week.

I really do like that snail shot. I can almost see him smothered in garlic and roasting away in a pan. Delicious! The lower aperture has really worked well for me.

Ian.

LOL. I don't think you can eat garden snails, can you? Not for me anyway.

Actually the pheasant idea was Nicki's (Briony). She puts dead pheasants in front of her hide for the red kites. I guess I was just being lazy putting it on the lawn. I really don't have time to sit in a hide these days.

Love the white flower on the black background.
I know it's not your usual outdoorsy stuff, but it really has given it some impact.

And with Gory in the title I couldn't resist clicking in here for the latest week.
Interesting idea with the pheasant and I never would have expected another pheasant to go for it.
Beautifully sharp and some great motion in them. I particularly like (if "like" is the right word for that sort of thing) the second one in the series.

Thanks, Sarah. Indoor photography is something I should do more of, especially when the weather is bad. I really should get some more props. Everything I use at the moment is improvised.

Jenny

Bit of a strange week this week. I think I am running out of steam :(

It is difficult to decide sometimes which images to post. I really should post only images that I think are good quality. However, when the subject matter is something rather unusual and which I am unlikely to be able to get a better photo, then I think slightly sub-standard quality is acceptable.

This week I found this little chappie in our garage. Now our garage is a mess, dirty with lots of cobwebs (bank holiday next weekend, so maybe we should try to fix that). So, he was covered in cobwebs which does not exactly make a good photo. In addition, bats are protected so there was no way I wanted to disturb him. So my first photo is taken with the little P&S and, yes, the nose is out of focus. But, I really like the detail I have managed to catch on his ears. I have done a square crop to get rid of some of the cobwebs.

Cimg0204d.jpg

Next is one taken with the DSLR and I have fairly amateurishly tried to clone out the cobwebs.

Img_9858h.jpg

I think he is a common pipistrelle but he may be a soprano pip. I often go out with a bat detector at night and have picked up the higher frequency of the soprano. Common pips use a frequency around 45kHz and sopranos around 55 kHz. I have had no luck photographing them in flight.

If anyone is a bat expert, perhaps you can confirm the id from the photos?

Please note that I did not disturb him at all while taking the photographs and left the door to the garage open so that he could get out when he was ready.

Next there was this ugly guy - well, maybe he finds us ugly too.

Cimg0250b.jpg

Again not a good photo because they are rather hyperactive and never keep still. I took this with the P&S. Cockchafers are more than an inch long and they usually visit in May (hence the nickname May bug) when they keep hitting the windows with a bang, attracted by the light.

I found his big orange antenna quite intriguing.

Next, I found 2 broken eggs on the lawn last week belonging to Mrs Pheasant. On hunting around I found her nest among the montbretia in the flowerbed. There were 4 eggs in total but obviously something had spotted them and raided the nest. My guess is the magpie. It was hanging round a lot and the last 2 eggs disappeared later that day. Not a brilliant photo but I thought it showed another slant on "nature in the raw". Sad for Mrs P.

I noticed Dade has uploaded a similar shot but I would like to point out that I had taken this photo before I saw his. His is better than mine, actually :(

Img_9890b.jpg

Finally, one that I am happy with this week. I had to use a backdrop because there was a wall behind the flower which did not look very good. I rather like the way this one looks sort of translucent and you can see the veins in the petals.

Img_0033b.jpg

C & C is most welcome. I really want to try to improve so will take on board any suggestions.

Jenny

Wow! Very impressed with the shot of the bat - I much prefer the first one. It's clear you live amongst some fascinating wildlife - perhaps you should organise a tog meet at your house!!!

The cockchafer is a fascinating looking bug - I'd love to see it 'face on' but I appreciate the difficulties if it is skittish.

I like the egg shot - I would have been tempted to selectively increase the saturation of the yellow to give it a little more punch, but the grass is perfect so no overall adjustment wanted.

The final flower shot is interesting - I like the veins as you point out. It might be making it too artificial, but I'd be interested see the result of bleaching the whites a little & upping the purple saturation - could be really striking!

Phil

Short of time here and can't comment individually but I always really enjoy your pictures. Particular favourites this time are the fern, the snail, the bat and the aquilegia. I am so impressed with your images.

:clap::clap:

Sorry been busy with other things and commenting has slipped.
Thanks for the mention and your kind comments ;)

As for your shots, nice shot of the bat!
Your egg shot is cool, nice detail and DOF, but your chosen shot rocks!!!
Nice colour, detail and focus, well done ;)

Must be the time of year Jenny - I feel like I've run out of steam over the last few weeks too, but I'm trying to get myself back on track.

And I have to say that even your "sub-standard" images (in your words) are stunning. And personally, I'd prefer to see a slightly flawed shot of something interesting than a technically perfect shot of something dull.

Both the bat shots are fascinating. No idea what type it is, but I hope you manage to get an i.d. for him. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a "bat detector". How exactly does that work?
We see bats circling the garden quite often at night and I'd love to know what species they are.

Cockchafer - Pin sharp, but a really informative shot for me. I've seen some of these guys over the last few weeks and wondered what they were.

The pheasant egg is a beautiful shot. Love the DoF and the clarity on the egg shell. I haven't been over to Dade's thread yet this week, but this looks very good to me.

And finally your Aquilegia. Really nice to see another black b/g shot and this one is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Things have been a bit difficult this week and I am lacking in inspiration. We have been without electricity for significant periods during the last 2 weekends (7 hours last weekend and 17 hours this weekend). This is the fourth time in 6 months that we have had a prolonged power outage and I am getting a bit sick of it (country living is not all it is cracked up to be :(). Seriously, it does my head in to be without electricity for 17 hours. We are so geared up to using electricity that life becomes very difficult without it.

So, sorry to take so long to reply.

Wow! Very impressed with the shot of the bat - I much prefer the first one. It's clear you live amongst some fascinating wildlife - perhaps you should organise a tog meet at your house!!!

The cockchafer is a fascinating looking bug - I'd love to see it 'face on' but I appreciate the difficulties if it is skittish.

I like the egg shot - I would have been tempted to selectively increase the saturation of the yellow to give it a little more punch, but the grass is perfect so no overall adjustment wanted.

The final flower shot is interesting - I like the veins as you point out. It might be making it too artificial, but I'd be interested see the result of bleaching the whites a little & upping the purple saturation - could be really striking!

Phil

Hi Phil, many thanks for the comments. Yes, we do have some interesting wildlife, but we can never guarantee what we will see and when. It is 15 years since I last saw a stationary, photographable bat!

Sorry there was no chance at all of snapping the cockchafer face on. It never stopped moving. I love to photograph faces and would have done so if it was possible.

Yes, good idea about the the saturation of the egg yolk. I will give that a try.

About the flower - I had already increased the saturation quite substantially. The original was very wishy washy. I did not want to over do it. I also wanted to be careful not to blow the whites. I will have another play with it.

Wow, Jenny, I turn my back for a mere week - and there's a whole new feast of photographic delights in your thread! :)

It's late and I'm too tired to do justice to them tonight - but I'll be back as soon as poss. I hope you're having another good week this week. :)

Jean

Hi Jean, thanks for your comments. No, unfortunately, I'm not having a good week (see above). Hope I can get back on track.

Short of time here and can't comment individually but I always really enjoy your pictures. Particular favourites this time are the fern, the snail, the bat and the aquilegia. I am so impressed with your images.

:clap::clap:

Thanks Tracer. I appreciate your feedback.

Sorry been busy with other things and commenting has slipped.
Thanks for the mention and your kind comments ;)

As for your shots, nice shot of the bat!
Your egg shot is cool, nice detail and DOF, but your chosen shot rocks!!!
Nice colour, detail and focus, well done ;)

Thanks, Dade. I was very happy with the aquilegia shot.

Must be the time of year Jenny - I feel like I've run out of steam over the last few weeks too, but I'm trying to get myself back on track.

And I have to say that even your "sub-standard" images (in your words) are stunning. And personally, I'd prefer to see a slightly flawed shot of something interesting than a technically perfect shot of something dull.

Both the bat shots are fascinating. No idea what type it is, but I hope you manage to get an i.d. for him. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a "bat detector". How exactly does that work?
We see bats circling the garden quite often at night and I'd love to know what species they are.

Cockchafer - Pin sharp, but a really informative shot for me. I've seen some of these guys over the last few weeks and wondered what they were.

The pheasant egg is a beautiful shot. Love the DoF and the clarity on the egg shell. I haven't been over to Dade's thread yet this week, but this looks very good to me.

And finally your Aquilegia. Really nice to see another black b/g shot and this one is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, Sarah. Glad you liked the bat shots. I was really pleased to get them but annoyed that the conditions for taking photographs were not perfect. I was really amazed at its ears. I had never seen them so close before.

You can find some information about bat detectors on the Bat Conservation trust web site http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bat_detectors.html. I am not an expert but a bat detector converts the ultrasound they transmit into audible frequencies (just clicking noises). Experts can tell the type of bat by listening to the clicks from the detector. My bat was almost certainly a Soprano Pipistelle which transmits frequencies around 55 kHz. However I am a complete amateur and would love to have confirmation of its ID.

Glad the cockchafer helped you to ID those you have seen. There are some really amazing creatures around, aren't there?

I am pleased you like the Aquilegia. The black background really set it off.

Jenny

Very frustrating week. I have taken lots of photos and am not happy with any of them :(

I am going to post them anyway because it's all I've got.

Firstly, this shrub has gained in popularity in recent years. I had not heard of it just a few years ago and now you see it all over the place. The insects love it. Ceanothus or Californian Lilac.

Img_0366b.jpg

We have terrible trouble growing roses here, which is a great pity as roses are synonymous with an "english country garden". I love them, but so do the deer :( sadly the only ones that survive are those that grow above grazing height. This dog rose, or wild rose, only thrives above 4 feet.

Img_0416c.jpg

There seems to be a lot of rabbits around at the moment - young ones, I think. I am not happy with this shot. The shadows are too harsh and there is no catch light in the eye. However, it is the best I have taken so far. I will replace it if I get a better one. The trouble it they don't hang around and pose for long.

Img_0488b.jpg

The next is a wild orchid - not sure about the bokeh?

Img_0522b.jpg

There was a beautiful moth on the window today and I thought I would try to capture it in an more unusual pose rather than just an ID type shot. I really don't think this worked and the standard shot showing its head and wings was much better. Anyway, here is the experiment shot. I'm not happy with it.

Img_0613b.jpg

Finally, I have been trying to figure out a way to capture the buttercups in the field next door - glorious. I really wanted to get down low at the same level as the buttercups. However, there are grasses in the way at that level and there is no easy way to get into the field (barbed wire fence). So, this is the best I have managed. Also not happy with it :(

Img_0655b.jpg

All in all a frustrating week. I don't seem to be improving :(

Jenny

Last edited:
Hi Jenny - The rabbit looks a little soft & isn't really a keeper IMHO. The dog rose & the garden fence view are ok, but don't grab me compositionally.

Having said that I think the others are good shots - I like the Caenothus and the Wild Orchid particularly. The Moth has potential but a little more dof would further improve it.

As for improving - you started at a high level so improving leaps and bounds would be an unrealistic expectation.

Phil

Hi Jenny - The rabbit looks a little soft & isn't really a keeper IMHO. The dog rose & the garden fence view are ok, but don't grab me compositionally.

Having said that I think the others are good shots - I like the Caenothus and the Wild Orchid particularly. The Moth has potential but a little more dof would further improve it.

As for improving - you started at a high level so improving leaps and bounds would be an unrealistic expectation.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I really appreciate your honest opinions. I just find it very frustrating going backwards. My technical ability with the camera is very limited and I thought by practising more, I would improve.

Every year I see this field full of buttercups next door just crying out for a photo. Every year I try to photograph it with little success. I have very limited time to experiment, but I will keep at it :bang:

Jenny

Jenny, I've missed so many... I'm really sorry. A wonderful collection of images overall. good strong colours, and well presented. Love the soft feel of the dog rose

This week there has been lots of activity around the pond. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get close to the action.

The damselflies have really been enjoying themselves. Sadly I had to take this with my P & S. I could not get close with the DSLR, so no control over the DOF. It is also fairly heavily cropped.

Cimg0406b.jpg

The irises are out but I find them very difficult to photograph.

Img_0782b.jpg

Here is another shot of a dog rose. Most of them have opened since last week.

Img_0718b.jpg

Finally, the deer have returned wearing their summer coats. This chappie has lost the velvet on one antler and it is in the process of dropping off on the other. He is the guy who tore the fur on his back earlier in the year and it has left a dark mark even though the fur has grown back in. I could not decide between these 2 photos, both taken at high ISO because it was late evening.

Img_0909b.jpg

I really liked the pose and the eyes on this one. It is just spoiled by the fence. He really looks like he has been caught in the act, which indeed he had. He had been eating my dog roses.

Img_0915c.jpg

Nothing special this week but C & C very welcome.

Jenny

lol, seems to be a trend - next weeks theme for all: Shots im unhappy with, lol.

I think youre being too hard on yourself, your images are nice clean images, great colour, ok some dont quite hit the mark, but the effort of getting out there and trying is evident and thats key!

Your Ceanothus has nice detail and good colour contrast, clone out the petal bottom left ;)

Rose is nicely detailed and good colours

Rabbit, soft but i see where it was going, try, try and try again

Orchid, i liked the bokeh kinda looks like sunshine popping through

moth - i like this, i would have preferred more details front to back though

buttercups, not feeling it, maybe a close up of the cups?

lol, whilst busy deciding what to write you go a post batch 2!!

Ok liking the loved up dragonflies and loving the expression on the last deer pic ;)

Last edited:
lol, seems to be a trend - next weeks theme for all: Shots im unhappy with, lol.

I think youre being too hard on yourself, your images are nice clean images, great colour, ok some dont quite hit the mark, but the effort of getting out there and trying is evident and thats key!

Your Ceanothus has nice detail and good colour contrast, clone out the petal bottom left ;)

Rose is nicely detailed and good colours

Rabbit, soft but i see where it was going, try, try and try again

Orchid, i liked the bokeh kinda looks like sunshine popping through

moth - i like this, i would have preferred more details front to back though

buttercups, not feeling it, maybe a close up of the cups?

lol, whilst busy deciding what to write you go a post batch 2!!

Ok liking the loved up dragonflies and loving the expression on the last deer pic ;)

LOL, Dade. You were commenting on last week's. I just posted this week's.

I really appreciate your comments. Sometimes I look at my photos and cannot decide whether I love them or hate them.

The bokeh on the orchid was actually the sun shining through the trees.

I have a photo of the moth taken side on which may be better but I was trying to do something different by taking it head on.

Jenny

Jenny - I'm getting way behind on your thread. Work and life in general are the culprits!

The first dog rose (the bud) is stunning - I really love it, and for sheer expression the deer caught in the act is tops (I can easily ignore the fence). I think you've done a fantastic job with a p&s to get the damselflies, especially since that is a large crop.

I've thought long and hard about your field of buttercups shot and share your frustration. I've photographed one particular view in the Forest over and over again -for years. It looks beautiful - a typical woodland setting with a small river running through it - but the photos are always disappointing! :( I've come to the conclusion it's because there's no obvious point of focus or interest and it's a case of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Perhaps your buttercup field is in the same catergory? Perhaps it's one time when we should just put our cameras away and enjoy the view. :shrug::)

Jean

Last edited:
Another strong set of images, Jenny. I love the expression on the face of the deer in the last one, although the background to the shot above is the more appealing one - both very nice.

The dog roses and damselflies are both great shots - nice and sharp & well lit. I agree that iris shot somehow doesn't do the flower justice. I think it might be better to simply back-up a bit & stop down to get more dof.

Phil

What beautiful pictures you take- a real feast for the eyes. I love the moth and the bat and the deer.The orchid is great- what a lovely find. I have never seen one growing wild.

Thanks, Sue. I really appreciate your comments. The orchids are lovely but I only find them dotted here and there and they are quite difficult to spot.

Jenny - I'm getting way behind on your thread. Work and life in general are the culprits!

The first dog rose (the bud) is stunning - I really love it, and for sheer expression the deer caught in the act is tops (I can easily ignore the fence). I think you've done a fantastic job with a p&s to get the damselflies, especially since that is a large crop.

I've thought long and hard about your field of buttercups shot and share your frustration. I've photographed one particular view in the Forest over and over again -for years. It looks beautiful - a typical woodland setting with a small river running through it - but the photos are always disappointing! :( I've come to the conclusion it's because there's no obvious point of focus or interest and it's a case of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Perhaps your buttercup field is in the same catergory? Perhaps it's one time when we should just put our cameras away and enjoy the view. :shrug::)

Jean

Thanks, Jean, especially for the buttercups comment. I feel there has to be a way to capture it on camera! What I really would like to do is to get really low down with some of the buttercups in the foreground in focus and all the rest behind as a yellow blur. I can see it in my head, but just cannot do it. I really must try to get over the fence. There is no easy way around. Maybe next year :(

Another strong set of images, Jenny. I love the expression on the face of the deer in the last one, although the background to the shot above is the more appealing one - both very nice.

The dog roses and damselflies are both great shots - nice and sharp & well lit. I agree that iris shot somehow doesn't do the flower justice. I think it might be better to simply back-up a bit & stop down to get more dof.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I agree about the iris. I tried a few shots further away, but there was a lot of distraction in the background with a greater DOF, and some of the leaves were rather messy. This is one of them. Is it better?

Img_0767b.jpg

Jenny

Last edited:
Yellow Iris 2 is definitely better but I don't think it matches your usual examplary standard of flower photos.

Phil

Yellow Iris 2 is definitely better but I don't think it matches your usual examplary standard of flower photos.

Phil

I was not particularly happy with this shot and that is why I chose to post the other one. They are difficult to photograph because they are quite large and deep, therefore difficult to isolate from the background.

Jenny

I have had a slightly better week this week. The weather has helped as well as having a bit more time to experiment.

Firstly, Mr Roe has been hanging around a lot and is probably getting fed up with me popping up snapping shots over the hedge. This is his usual reaction ...

Img_0974b.jpg

Followed closely by ...

Img_1029b.jpg

One of my better motion shots, but it is not something that I am good at.

Next, the weather was kind enough to allow a couple of flower shots. Lots of buttercups around and I rather liked the little hairs underneath this one.

Img_1241d.jpg

I love foxgloves and while I was experimenting bees were flying in and out of the flowers. Sadly, I did not manage a decent shot with a bee in it. Not enough light and they just move too quickly. I rather like this shot.

Img_1311b.jpg

Finally, every time I went to the pond this week I disturbed a heron. There are lots of tiny fish in the pond at the minute so it is easy pickings for him. He is very nervous and takes off before I can even get close. So, I sat very quietly under a tree hiding from him and managed a couple of reasonable photos. Unfortunately, I was expecting to get photos with its wings open and therefore used my 300mm lens. I missed the flying shots and found the 300 just too short to get decent photos of him standing and walking in the pond. So these are cropped quite a bit.

It is a pity that the pond is so messy, another big job that we have not got around to :(

With the first one, it may have been better to crop it so that it is vertically symmetrical. But, I did not want to crop too far.

Img_1393d.jpg

Img_1423d.jpg

After taking these, I decided to put up my hide so that I could get closer and try to get photos of him fishing. However, since putting up the hide, I have not seen him. I guess he will be back eventually - too many little fish for him to stay away for long.

All in all, not a bad week, but I value any comments and suggestions.

Jenny

Some more lovely shots even if some of them aren't quite up to your usual high standard. I particularly like the lilac, the moth and the damsel flies. The first heron shot is also very good with the reflection of a rather comical pose, even if it is not quite as good technically.

Keep 'em coming!

Foxglove and in a hurry are my favourites - nice images! I love the way you've caught the deer mid-leap!

Phil

You can find some information about bat detectors on the Bat Conservation trust web site http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bat_detectors.html.

Thanks Jenny. I haven't had a chance to look at that link yet, but I will. I'd love to know what type of bat our little friend is.

And you've been really busy again, since I last dropped in.
I think it's coming to that time of year, when we're all facing a bit of a dip in motivation, so well done on keeping going. And doing far more than the photo a week that you started out to do.

There may be a few in the last few weeks which are not up to your normal high standard, but there are some great stand out shots there too.

"In a hurry" is one of my favourites. I know he's jumping away from us, but I really like the motion in that one. Very, very good timing (y)

The Damselflies are beautiful too. I love the heart shape made my their bodies when they're mating. Shame that it was with the P&S, because it's not quite as crisp as your usual shots, but still very well spotted.

And the foxglove is simply beautiful. I've been trying to shoot the lupins in our garden and can't seem to get a crop that works. The way that you've got really close to this one, and focused in on a few flowers works perfectly though.

I don't believe it... another 2 weeks ...

Some more lovely shots Jenny... the deer stand out for me, the first one, with the head and shoulders, and the leaping one.

Some more lovely shots even if some of them aren't quite up to your usual high standard. I particularly like the lilac, the moth and the damsel flies. The first heron shot is also very good with the reflection of a rather comical pose, even if it is not quite as good technically.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Tracer. I think it is worth posting some shots for their subject matter rather than technical quality - for example the herons shots. It is the first time I have managed to photograph a heron in my garden.

Foxglove and in a hurry are my favourites - nice images! I love the way you've caught the deer mid-leap!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. They are my favourites, too. I am not good at action shots, but this one worked.

Thanks Jenny. I haven't had a chance to look at that link yet, but I will. I'd love to know what type of bat our little friend is.

And you've been really busy again, since I last dropped in.
I think it's coming to that time of year, when we're all facing a bit of a dip in motivation, so well done on keeping going. And doing far more than the photo a week that you started out to do.

There may be a few in the last few weeks which are not up to your normal high standard, but there are some great stand out shots there too.

"In a hurry" is one of my favourites. I know he's jumping away from us, but I really like the motion in that one. Very, very good timing (y)

The Damselflies are beautiful too. I love the heart shape made my their bodies when they're mating. Shame that it was with the P&S, because it's not quite as crisp as your usual shots, but still very well spotted.

And the foxglove is simply beautiful. I've been trying to shoot the lupins in our garden and can't seem to get a crop that works. The way that you've got really close to this one, and focused in on a few flowers works perfectly though.

Thanks, Sarah. The reason I am including so many shots, is that it is impossible to summarise the lifecycle of the garden with only one image per week. There is so much going on at this time of year. To put these in a book as a good record of "A Year in the Life of...", I really need plenty to choose from. I will no doubt take fewer later in the year when everything stops growing.

I understand your frustration with the lupins. I tried to photograph ours but could not get anything decent.

I don't believe it... another 2 weeks ...

Some more lovely shots Jenny... the deer stand out for me, the first one, with the head and shoulders, and the leaping one.

Thanks, John. They get spooked very easily so I have to be very quick when I am taking them, especially when they are running away.

Jenny

Oh dear, I'm late - I have got a lot of catching up to do. I was on holiday last week but took the week 25 photos just before I went.

Firstly, this is not the greatest of photos but I am posting it because of the rather amusing behaviour. Mr Squidge was sniffing around Mrs Squidge and behaving like a complete imbecile. It was really funny to watch. She was totally ignoring him until he stood up on his hind legs to show her what she was missing.

Img_1488b.jpg

The next is rather boring and I did not know whether to post it, but it is the first time I have taken a half way decent portrait of a pigeon. The white ring on the neck is very difficult to get right.

Img_1544b.jpg

Another fungus. I found this growing on a pile of leaf mould. Not completely sure what it is. At first I thought an Amanita, but it is the skin that is cracked rather than a cracked veil. So, my guess is a parasol mushroom of some kind (Lepiota). I am fairly happy with this shot and deliberately centred it.

Img_1578b.jpg

Next, I took this photo of the Calico Bush because I find it a really intriguing shrub. The stamens (is that the correct word?) are pinned back to the outside edge of the petals, as you can see in the flowers on the left. When an insect lands on the flower, the stamens shoot forward to cover the insect with pollen. You can see the flower at the front right has been triggered.

Img_1620b.jpg

Finally, it is baby time and it has been fun to watch the parents teaching the babies how to feed. The next 2 photos show a harassed GSW father feeding a baby that is bigger than he is! He was trying to show the baby how to eat nuts from the feeder, but the baby preferred Dad to do the work. Baby on the right.

I am rather annoyed that I did not have quite enough DOF to get them both in focus, but I thought they were worth posting anyway.

Img_1718b.jpg

Img_1772b.jpg

As usual, C & C very welcome.

I will endeavour to catch up on commenting on everyone else's threads this week.

Jenny

Week 24. Funnily enough I've been taking floxgloves as well (my Growing 52 is now 2 weeks behind!) but I haven't had chance to process them yet. However, I don't think the colours are anywhere near like as good as yours - and I like the crop, too. :) The buttercup - the pin sharp focus on the petal are the front is lovely - so much detail in one tiny petal - but it makes me want to see more of it in focus - it's not often I want more dof, but I think this would be a stunner if the centre of the flower was in focus.

Well done on getting the heron shots - the reflection one in particular is very eye-catching.

'Not her with the camera again' made me smile - it looks as though he's sniffing at the flowering grass. :) The 'In a Hurry' shot is impressive - well done on getting the action, because I know they move very fast without warning. :clap::clap::clap:

Week 25: I totally agree that a shot may not be technically perfect, but is still worth posting. I love the squirrel courtship shot!

Well done on getting your first wood pidgeon shot - they're definitely not easy to capture (with a camera!)

I can't help with the id for the fungus - but it's a very impressive photo - terrific detail.

The calico bush is fascinating - I've never seen one. The flowers are very pretty and I like the way you've got active and fully open flowers in the same shot. (y)

My absolute favourite for Week 25 are the GSWs, father and son. It seems strange that baby birds often seem larger than their parents, but I assume it because they haven't got their adult plummage and their 'baby' feathers are fluffier to keep them warm. :shrug: These shots are terrific - catching the moment when dad is pandering to baby's demands. Brilliant. :)

Jean

Another lovely set Jenny, but that pair of greater spotted are superb.

Nicely exposed on the pigeon, the white is a pain to get right.

I can't help on the mushroom either, but it's a good shot.

Lovely shots, Jenny! Difficult to pick a favourite although I especially like the mushroom. Very impressed with the woodpecker shots, although it would be even better if you could catch them away from a feeder!

As for other suggestions for improvement....none really other than the squirrel shot looks slightly heavy on the sharpening.

Phil

Beautiful as always Jenny.

The squirrels may not be technically the best photo ever, but it did make me smile - and sometimes that's more important than a technically perfect shot (y)

I've never even heard of a calico bush before, let alone seen one - so that shot has been a real eye opener for me.
It's a beautiful photo in its own right, but when you read about the behaviour of the flowers and can see how they act it makes it even more special.

I also love the dad & junior GSW shots. From a composition and subject matter perspective I prefer the first one, but as you said junior is ever so slightly oof. The second one seems to have worked better from a DoF perspective and the central composition and mirroring of the two sides of the photo makes it really pleasing to look at.

Back