Jenny's 52 for 2010 - Flora & Fauna in an English Country Garden - Week 26 - HALFWAY!

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
I know I would not be able to follow the themes for the main 52, so I thought I would set my own challenge for 2010 - 1 image per week taken in my garden (except during holidays when I will probably substitute other wildlife images).

This challenge will include flowers, trees, animals, birds, insects, fungi and the occasional landscape taken from the garden.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism and I will endeavour to comment on as many other 52's as possible (so many this year that it will be impossible to comment on all of them).

It was great having a public holiday this weekend and gave me the opportunity to spend some time photographing birds. However, I think the best photo I have taken so far this week is of some tiny lichen nestling amongst some moss on a fallen tree. These lichen are only a few millimetres across but are really quite intriguing.

So, here goes...

Img_1070a.jpg

Only 51 more to do!

Jenny

Last edited:
I'm hopeless at crit, but I think the only thing that detracts from this great shot is the fact that the colours are all a bit samey (hi-tech crit-speak!) and the lichen gets a bit lost in the green.

Have you tried a B&W conversion, or perhaps some selective minor desaturation of the background to give your lichen a bit more punch? No idea if it would work, but might be worth thinking about.

You've captured great texture there though and it's a great find!

Ian.

Hi Jen, I too am doing a personal 52 rather than the themed one so good luck (y)

I'm no fauna expert but I do like this, nice and sharp and good exposure. The crop seems a bit tight as it makes me want to see the whats beyond this! Ian's suggestion of a B&W conversion is good as well :)

Great start though :)

Many thanks for the feedback. The problem was that the lichen was almost the same colour as the moss, so difficult to make them stand out. You almost needed a magnifying glass to see them as well!

I was really happy to get the different textures.

I will have a play with it to see what I can do.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

You've set yourself a real challenge here by restricting yourself to your garden - but I've seen your wildlife photos before and I think we're in for a real treat with this thread (y)

You've done a brilliant job with shot No.1. Those things are so tiny, but you've managed to get it spot on.
Lovely detail in the foreground moss and the DOF is perfect - sharp in just the right place to capture the lichens.
I actually disagree with Ian (sorry) and think that you've got the saturation just right to give the distinction between the different greens in the moss and lichens.

Seriously, I'm really impressed with this :clap:
(Only downside being that you've set the bar REALLY high for the rest of your challenge)

Hi Jenny,

You've set yourself a real challenge here by restricting yourself to your garden

Hi Sarah, many thanks for the comments. Actually restricting myself to the garden is not a problem. In the last few years I have spotted more than 50 species of birds, more than 100 different wildflowers, more than 100 different types of fungus, lots of animals and hundreds of insects! There is probably enough material to do 52s for the whole decade, and I don't have to go far to do it!

Watch this space.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I agree with Sarah the detail, DOF are spot on and it is pin-sharp, the colour is amazing also.

Looking forward to the coming weeks.

Graham
______

I have a bit of a dilemma this week. I managed to take a couple of photos with an amazing subject, but neither are particularly good technically. However, since I am unlikely to ever quite manage photos like these again, I thought I would post them anyway.

I have also been experimenting with icicle photos and have one that I am fairly happy with. So, I will post it as another option. If I can get a better one this week, I may replace it.

Week 2 of 52....

The problem with the first two was the light. It was getting dark when I saw these 2 muntjacs on the back lawn - mother and fawn about 2 months old. However, it was an opportunity too good to miss so I screwed up the ISO to 1600. I was also shooting through the window which did not help either. I have done some PP to remove noise and improve the lighting.

Img_1263b.jpg

After finishing its feed, the little one ran across the lawn and into the flower bed next to the house. I managed to take this when it stopped for a moment in the middle of the lawn. It looks like it is sitting down, but actually it is standing. The snow was so deep that it came to the top of its legs!

Img_1387a.jpg

Finally, here is the icicle shot that I rather pleased with. There is actually a drip on the end, but I had no success capturing the drip as it dropped off!

Img_1197b.jpg

Jenny

Hi Jenny

What an fascinating 52! I shall certainly be following it, and am doing something similar (as well as the themed 52) based around our garden, greenhouse and allotment, with the option to use the whole of the New Forest when all else fails! But our garden doesn't sound anything like as rich in wild (or cultivated) life as yours.

You must have been over the moon to get the muntjac mother and baby shot. That's really special. (y)

The icicle has lovely reflected colours in it, fabulous bokeh and the finishing touch - the sparkle of light at the tip.

and it's an interesting shape! :)

Jean

Jenny, your week 1 shot has to be my favourite of all the week 1 shots I've seen on the forum so far. Vivid, detailed, interesting and unusual. I would never have imagined it to look so alien. Beautiful (y)

Tricky choice for your week 2. I'm amazed you have such wildlife strolling around your back garden, but that second shot of the baby is lovely. Especially as he's looking right at you. The icicle is a great one too with the drip hanging and set off against such a strong background colour (it looks like autumn still there). Did you add the starburst?

Looking forward to lots more like these.

One advantage of the bad weather - the wildlife are hanging round the house for shelter. Makes for great photo opportunities! After posting these yesterday, I'm afraid I have to add another one. I think this is probably the best deer photo I have taken. Mum and fawn were back again today foraging in the flower bed next to the house.

This was again taken through the window...

Img_1501c.jpg

I promise I won't post any more this week.

Jenny

You're spoiling us for choice now Jenny. This latest one is stunning. What lens are you using?

You're spoiling us for choice now Jenny. This latest one is stunning. What lens are you using?

I was using a 70-300mm IS. This was taken at 200mm. It was right outside the conservatory window, so I did not need anything longer! I was lucky to get it. I looked at him (her?) and he (she?) looked at me before running off.

It was handheld and I had to be quick.

Jenny

Superb shots Jenny. The detail and colours are really good on the first. The Muntjac's are amazing, well shot, and that last one is simply stunning.

One advantage of the bad weather - the wildlife are hanging round the house for shelter. Makes for great photo opportunities! After posting these yesterday, I'm afraid I have to add another one. I think this is probably the best deer photo I have taken. Mum and fawn were back again today foraging in the flower bed next to the house.

This was again taken through the window...

Img_1501c.jpg

Jenny

If they are all the quality of that, then keep posting.(y)

I thought your first shot ( lichen) was a cracker too.(y)

Some cracking shots... especially the most recent deer one. Good luck for the rest of the year! (=

That's a stunning shot, Jenny. Definitely one to hang on the wall.
Jean

Thanks, Jean. I don't hang many of my photos on the wall, but I have done so with that one. It does not look quite so good in print. I have not mastered getting things printed yet!

Jenny

If there are any more like that go ahead and post them - just beautiful :clap:

I was struggling to pick a favourite out of the last set. The icicle was probably technically the best photo, but those Muntjac shots were so gorgeous in terms of subject matter . . . then you come up with this!

It's absolutely superb and I would never have guessed that it was shot through glass.

Lichen shot is stunning, looks Alien. My wife has studied lichens so I will definitely have to show her that shot.

The last Muntjac shot is top draw, sure it's not stuffed and taken in a studio :D

Lichen shot is stunning, looks Alien. My wife has studied lichens so I will definitely have to show her that shot.

Thanks, Julian. Lichens are really difficult to identify. If she has any idea which Cladonia this is, I would very much appreciate an ID.

The last Muntjac shot is top draw, sure it's not stuffed and taken in a studio :D

If it causes too much damage in my flowerbed, it may well end up being stuffed :eek:

Jenny

Wow,what a great set of pictures!

I really liked the mother/baby shot and then you posted the later shot and that is just superb :clap::clap:

As foryour first shot, I think you've captured the lichen really well. The DoF is spot on and I really like the composition. Despite what others have said the fact that it is different shades of green doesn't bother me. That's what nature does :shrug: Good camouflage equals better protection. :clap::clap:

The shot in #16 is a stunner. One to go on the wall I think!

Ian.

Well, after the excitement of mother and baby last week, this week was sure to be a disappointment. On top of that it has not exactly been photography weather.

When the snow started to disappear, there was a big influx of hungry birds, ground feeders who had obviously had a very hard time with 8 inches of snow.

This male green woodpecker was very happy to have some lawn to drill into once again. Sadly the weather was awful - you can see how bedraggled he is, with mud all over his beak. I had to take this at ISO 1000.

I am including this photo because it sums up a lousy week for me and for him :(

Img_1581a.jpg

In a similar vein, I thought I would include the next image, taken this morning, which is fairly typical of the weather all week - cold, snowy and misty. I don't really know how to do landscapes, so constructive criticism is very welcome.

Cimg9843a.jpg

I am hoping for some brighter conditions next week.

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Talk about a bad feather day! He really does look as fed up with the weather as I am this week. You've done really well to catch the moment - I don't suppose he hung around long. Well done. Just one thought - would it crop in just a little closer - a sliver off the top and left? Either way, I still love it. :love:

Who can't do landscapes??? This is terrific - so atmospheric with lots of interest for the eye to feast on. The sky is stunning - and the bird beautifully positioned. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm struggling for my Growing project this week - and it's only Week 3. Everywhere's under water down here. :eek:

I've just noticed you're in Berkshire - whereabouts?

Jean

Hi Jenny
Just one thought - would it crop in just a little closer - a sliver off the top and left? Either way, I still love it. :love:

Thanks for your comments, Jean. I agree a closer crop would be better but it is already fairly heavily cropped and I could not really crop more. He was not very close when I took the photo.

The sky is stunning - and the bird beautifully positioned. :clap::clap::clap:

The bird was a bit lucky!

I'm struggling for my Growing project this week - and it's only Week 3. Everywhere's under water down here. :eek:

I have realised that outdoor projects are a bit difficult when the weather is bad. Looks like you are going to have to shoot in your greenhouse again.

I've just noticed you're in Berkshire - whereabouts?

Near Reading.

Jenny

Back