Jenny's 52 - Part 2 - Week 52 - The End

I sympathise over the tree trunk. I'm forever 'seeing' interesting shots of fascinating bark on trees, but never seem to translate them into good shots. However, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself over this one. The colours and textures are excellent. You have got some shadow detail, so perhaps just angling your flash differently would do the trick?

Hypericum: I really like this - the 'lines' on some of the petals just give them definition. It's also in very good condition - ours finished flowering a while ago. :(

Fly Agaric #1: There's nothing wrong with central, and the contrast with the texture and colour of the ground really make it. The cap looks as though it's been sprinkled with chopped nuts!

Fly Agaric #2: I agree about the composition - it's excellent - but it hasn't got quite the same impact as the first one. The stems look too clumpy for the caps - but if that's what jeuvenile Fly Agarics look like, then who am I to argue. :D (y)

Rainbow: I'm sure the pot of gold is in your garden - it's beautiful enough to be at the end of a rainbow! This is a terrifc shot, Jenny and you must be really pleased with it. It must make up for missing that bolt of lightning. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

I've always loved the texture of Scot Pine bark - this has come out pretty well even without side lighting. Maybe you'll get a better chance in winter when the sun is lower?

I quite like the flower but would prefer it to be a bit sunnier (wouldn't we all) and the dark line is odd.

I love the toadstools - I don't think you need any brighter lighting for these and you have captured loads of detail, with the focus just right.

As for the rainbow - gorgeous! have you spent the pot of gold yet? :LOL::LOL:

That bark shot has real potential if you can nail the lighting, its got lovely colours, fly Agaric are both great shots, up to your usual high standard, im glad you didn't bother with the fairy though. Finally what a great rainbow, did you find any gold?

More lovely shots! I can see exactly what you were planning with lighting on the bark and I think it would be easiest to pull off at dusk with the flash on a long lead firing across the trunk. Having said that, I like the shot just as it is - the textures and patterns make it a pleasing image.

The first of the two fly agaric shots is stunning - a great photo of a beautiful specimen. You seem to have a particular flair for capturing fungi.

Phil

Jenny, that tree has very interesting bark and the textures look great. Good luck with the sun, but if you want shadows then you could put the flash to the left or right of camera (need wireless triggers or cable thingy, I can't remember what it's called).

The shrooms are wonderful, great colours and definition, I did see a Fly Agaric and regretted not having my kit with me, but I wouldn't have been able to spend the time to get it right anyway...

However, That's one stonking rainbow you've captured there, wonderful strong colours and with the sunlight thrown on what appears to be the base of the bow, you can easily imagine the pot of gold... Did you find it ;) ?

I sympathise over the tree trunk. I'm forever 'seeing' interesting shots of fascinating bark on trees, but never seem to translate them into good shots. However, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself over this one. The colours and textures are excellent. You have got some shadow detail, so perhaps just angling your flash differently would do the trick?

Hypericum: I really like this - the 'lines' on some of the petals just give them definition. It's also in very good condition - ours finished flowering a while ago. :(

Fly Agaric #1: There's nothing wrong with central, and the contrast with the texture and colour of the ground really make it. The cap looks as though it's been sprinkled with chopped nuts!

Fly Agaric #2: I agree about the composition - it's excellent - but it hasn't got quite the same impact as the first one. The stems look too clumpy for the caps - but if that's what jeuvenile Fly Agarics look like, then who am I to argue. :D (y)

Rainbow: I'm sure the pot of gold is in your garden - it's beautiful enough to be at the end of a rainbow! This is a terrifc shot, Jenny and you must be really pleased with it. It must make up for missing that bolt of lightning. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Many thanks for your comments, Jean. I think I need to detach my flash from the camera to achieve a better angle for the tree bark shot. The sun came out for 10 minutes the other day and hit the tree just right. By the time I got my camera out, the sun had gone in again!

Yes, that is what young Fly Agarics look like, I'm afraid. I would have preferred more side lighting to create slightly better shadows.

The rainbow shot was lucky - right place right time.

I've always loved the texture of Scot Pine bark - this has come out pretty well even without side lighting. Maybe you'll get a better chance in winter when the sun is lower?

I quite like the flower but would prefer it to be a bit sunnier (wouldn't we all) and the dark line is odd.

I love the toadstools - I don't think you need any brighter lighting for these and you have captured loads of detail, with the focus just right.

As for the rainbow - gorgeous! have you spent the pot of gold yet? :LOL::LOL:

Thanks, Tracer. I will try to reshoot the Hypericum if the wind subsides and the sun tries to come out.

I did not find the pot of gold!

That bark shot has real potential if you can nail the lighting, its got lovely colours, fly Agaric are both great shots, up to your usual high standard, im glad you didn't bother with the fairy though. Finally what a great rainbow, did you find any gold?

Thanks, Chris. I am keeping an eye on the tree for natural lighting, if possible.

If I find the pot of gold, I may be able to afford some better lighting for the tree bark :D

More lovely shots! I can see exactly what you were planning with lighting on the bark and I think it would be easiest to pull off at dusk with the flash on a long lead firing across the trunk. Having said that, I like the shot just as it is - the textures and patterns make it a pleasing image.

The first of the two fly agaric shots is stunning - a great photo of a beautiful specimen. You seem to have a particular flair for capturing fungi.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I don't know whether or not to take it as a compliment about the fungi shots! They are very easy to photograph - they don't run away, don't blow in the wind and have amazing colours and textures.

Jenny, that tree has very interesting bark and the textures look great. Good luck with the sun, but if you want shadows then you could put the flash to the left or right of camera (need wireless triggers or cable thingy, I can't remember what it's called).

The shrooms are wonderful, great colours and definition, I did see a Fly Agaric and regretted not having my kit with me, but I wouldn't have been able to spend the time to get it right anyway...

However, That's one stonking rainbow you've captured there, wonderful strong colours and with the sunlight thrown on what appears to be the base of the bow, you can easily imagine the pot of gold... Did you find it ;) ?

Thanks, John, no pot of gold, but lots of luck with it appearing right in front of my living room window!

Jenny

Last edited:
Another difficult week. I realise that this challenge is going to become more difficult as the weather deteriorates into winter. This week has been awful with just a couple of bright days. Once again I have tried lots of things and rejected them. Once again I am not particularly happy with this week's offerings.

Firstly, a typical autumn scene. At this time of year the mist hangs low in the valley early in the morning and when the sun tries to break through it is very pretty. Here is my version of an autumn sunrise.

Cimg1202b.jpg

Well, Christmas is coming..... The Christmas cards and crackers are in the shops and the holly trees are laden with berries. Is this a sign of a tough winter ahead? Very frustratingly I have tried all sorts of holly photos and all of them are rubbish. The leaves point out at all different angles and the berries seem to be on one long stalk. I just have not been able to get it right.

So I draped over a bit of ivy which seems to make the photo more balanced. OH does not like this and said I should not post this one. Maybe he is right. I don't like the way it makes it look as if these are ivy berries. Anyway, for what it is worth, here is "The Holly and the Ivy".

Img_9899b.jpg

The fungi are still going strong - loving the rain. I quite like this photo.

Img_0041b.jpg

Finally, I am completely undecided which one of these to post, so I am going to post both and would like your opinions about which one is best, or whether they are both rubbish.

On the couple of sunny mornings that we have had this week, everything is soaked with heavy dew. When the sun comes out, everthing sparkles and it is really pretty until the sun burns off the dew. I was trying to photograph some dew on a fir tree leaf when I noticed that the dew drops were reflecting a picture of the house and the steps leading down to the lawn.

So, not sure if these work, but at least it is something different.

Img_0172b.jpg

Img_0158b.jpg

Are either of these any good, and if so, which do you prefer?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Jenny

Love the sunrise photograph Jenny, you have handled the range of tones and light well. Natures jewels, fantastic:clap:, there are images within images there, really holds this viewers attention. Another great set. Iain

I love the sunrise - "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness..." Just a pity about the fat con trail at the very top but that is a very minor niggle.

I like the contrasting shapes, textures and colours of the holly and the ivy very much and think it works well as an image. You could turn it into a Christmas card.

Another unfamiliar fungus - very nice!

Nature's jewels is fun - well spotted. I much prefer the first because the background is so much softer and a contrasting colour, so that your main subject stands out better.

Your quintessential toadstool is lovely ;)
Sunrise I like but I too would prefer the trials / clouds cut out from the shot as it draws attention up instead of in.
Natures jewels the first one, cracking shot :)

The first of the nature's jewels is this week's pick Jenny - lovely execution! Not so struck on the others this week, although the unusual fungi is fascinating.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I don't know whether or not to take it as a compliment about the fungi shots! They are very easy to photograph - they don't run away, don't blow in the wind and have amazing colours and textures.

Jenny

Definitely a compliment - the definition of a good photo is not one where the subject doesn't run away!

Phil

I do like your sunrise Jenny, what a beautiful view you have there. The yellow fungus is pretty weird, never seen anything like that in these parts :)

The holly and ivy shot isn't working for me I'm afraid, but I can understand why you've tried it. Perhaps it needs an extreme closeup of part of a holly leaf and berries if the composition isn't right from further out? :shrug:

Your two droplet shots I like the softness and composition of the first but the background colour of the second. Sorry :D

Love the sunrise shot, excellent tones in the sky Jenny.

I really like both of the Nature's Jewel shots, they are both good, the different colours both work too... Probably the first is marginally better as it highlights the stem and water drops more.

Another excellent set Jenny.

The sunset needs to lose the vapour trail but other than that it is spot on (y)

I love the fungus. You say that they are easy to photograph but that's not been my experience. You still need a good specimen, the ability to compose the shot and above all good lighting technique. You have achieved this brilliantly.

The first of natures jewels is my favourite of the two.

Andy

Love the sunrise photograph Jenny, you have handled the range of tones and light well. Natures jewels, fantastic:clap:, there are images within images there, really holds this viewers attention. Another great set. Iain

Thanks, Iain. I was surprised to see the reflections in the droplets. It is not what I was planning.

I love the sunrise - "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness..." Just a pity about the fat con trail at the very top but that is a very minor niggle.

I like the contrasting shapes, textures and colours of the holly and the ivy very much and think it works well as an image. You could turn it into a Christmas card.

Another unfamiliar fungus - very nice!

Nature's jewels is fun - well spotted. I much prefer the first because the background is so much softer and a contrasting colour, so that your main subject stands out better.

Thanks, Tracer. It is interesting that you pointed out the contrails. I find them fascinating. They are a fact of life around here. We are probably only about 30 miles from Heathrow as the crow, or aeroplane, flies. Most mornings the sky is criss-crossed with them. I will, however, clone them out on this photo.

I agree the droplets and reflections stand out more on the first image.

Your quintessential toadstool is lovely ;)
Sunrise I like but I too would prefer the trials / clouds cut out from the shot as it draws attention up instead of in.
Natures jewels the first one, cracking shot :)

Thanks, Dade. The reason I posted the second droplet image is because the drops all look sharper. I am not sure I like some of the droplets being a bit OOF on the first, but the reflections are definitely better.

The first of the nature's jewels is this week's pick Jenny - lovely execution! Not so struck on the others this week, although the unusual fungi is fascinating.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I have to say that it irritates me that the droplets along the top are OOF.

There is a whole forest of Yellow Club fungi now, but no easy way to capture them because they are so small.

I do like your sunrise Jenny, what a beautiful view you have there. The yellow fungus is pretty weird, never seen anything like that in these parts :)

The holly and ivy shot isn't working for me I'm afraid, but I can understand why you've tried it. Perhaps it needs an extreme closeup of part of a holly leaf and berries if the composition isn't right from further out? :shrug:

Your two droplet shots I like the softness and composition of the first but the background colour of the second. Sorry :D

Thanks for the feedback, Darren. The valley is often shrouded in mist and looks lovely on a sunny morning. Trouble is I am not much good at landscapes.

I am sure you have yellow club fungus around your way - you have just noticed them. They are very tiny, maybe 2 -3 cms high.

I am really stuck with the holly. The birds have not eaten all the berries yet, so I will try again.I don't think an extreme close-up would work. I think I need to be even further out.

LOL, with the droplets, I prefer the sharpness of the second and the background of the first! It's all subjective, isn't it, but I find comments from other photographers really useful.

Love the sunrise shot, excellent tones in the sky Jenny.

I really like both of the Nature's Jewel shots, they are both good, the different colours both work too... Probably the first is marginally better as it highlights the stem and water drops more.

Thanks, John. I think the consensus is that the first droplet shot is best.

Another excellent set Jenny.

The sunset needs to lose the vapour trail but other than that it is spot on (y)

I love the fungus. You say that they are easy to photograph but that's not been my experience. You still need a good specimen, the ability to compose the shot and above all good lighting technique. You have achieved this brilliantly.

The first of natures jewels is my favourite of the two.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I will get rid of the vapour trail.

I agree that you need decent specimens of fungi. I find that the animals eat them very quickly, so I have a quick look around the garden everyday to see what has come up overnight - before they get eaten again! I also tend to clean them up as much as possible before shooting.

Jenny

Last edited:
Wildlife photography has a lot of luck associated with it. Being in the right place at the right time helps a lot. I had a stroke of luck this week and ended up very pleased with one of my photos.

However, I have struggled with many of the things I have tried this week and rejected an awful lot of shots. As an example, there is a troop of Trooping Funnel fungi which I have photographed in every way imaginable with no success. They are amazing things about 8 inches in diameter. I finally gave up trying to capture them and took this one of the gills only. I was not sure whether or not I should post it, but here it is anyway.

Img_0782e.jpg

Next, I am reasonably happy with this shot, except that with the angle of the sun I think the highlights may be a bit blown. This is a collared earthstar (fairly obvious how it got its name). There are lots of them grow under some of our ornamental firs. I think they look like alien invaders. I took another photo with one that looked as if it was crawling on top of another, but thought the single one was best to post here.

Img_0916b.jpg

After thinking that summer had disappeared for this year, today was a glorious day. The butterflies were out in force - Red Admiral, Brimstone, Small Copper which I had never seen before and a couple of Commas. I felt I had to post this photo because it seems so out of character for this time of year. This Comma is on the Mahonia which is a winter flowering shrub.

Img_1225b.jpg

Finally, I was sat working at my PC a few days ago when I noticed a low-flying missile homing in on the window. It hit it with a bang and I rushed outside to to find a gorgeous little Goldcrest. They are not uncommon but very shy so we don't see them very often.

Goldcrests are the (joint) smallest birds in Europe, 1 cm smaller than a wren. They are 9cm from beak to tail.

It was a bit stunned but had landed in the shrubs under the window which I guess broke its fall. I knew I did not have much time before it recovered and flew off so I rushed to get the camera - no time for flash or tripod. The light was not good. It was very dull and even with the ISO at 1600 I had to sacrifice DOF to get a reasonable shutter speed.

Img_0642b.jpg

I would have preferred more DOF but because that was not possible and because it was far too good an opportunity to miss, I took a real close-up. IMO this is the best bird shot I have ever taken :) I decided to go for a square crop because the OOF feathers on the right did not add anything to the photo. I hope you like it.

Img_0657d.jpg

It flew off totally recovered (although probably with a sore head) about 30 seconds after I took this shot.

C & C very welcome.

Jenny

Sorry Jenny, I didn't get round many threads in week 39 and yours is one that I missed.
I know that landscape shots aren't your usual thing, but you've nailed this one for me. I think it's beautiful.
Fantastic colours in the yellow club fungus - and definitely the first water drops for me. It's just that bit sharper and crisper than the second one.

And week 40 - all I can say is Wow!!!!!
You said that you were really pleased with one of your photos this week and as I scrolled down I kept thinking "it must be this one!"
:clap: :clap: :clap: for the Goldcrest, but I'd have been pleased with any of these.
BTW I shall have to remember that technique for bird photos . . . stun them first :LOL:

I love the abstract of the Trooping Funnel gills. Very appealing and I think this could work well as a B&W too.
I can see a few fungi hunters being jealous of your Earth Star and the butterfly comes a very close second to the Goldcrest for shot of the week for me.

A great week, Jenny. The butterfly shot is beautifully composed with great lighting and the goldcrest is superb!

Great stuff,

Phil

I'm not sure what there was to debate about posting the gills Jenny, its abstractness gives it a little something extra. The butterfly shot is beautiful with amazing colours.

And what a wonderful stroke of luck having such a character drop into your proverbial lap. You've made the most of the fleeting moment and captured it brilliantly. Fantastic week (y)

Sorry Jenny, I didn't get round many threads in week 39 and yours is one that I missed.
I know that landscape shots aren't your usual thing, but you've nailed this one for me. I think it's beautiful.
Fantastic colours in the yellow club fungus - and definitely the first water drops for me. It's just that bit sharper and crisper than the second one.

And week 40 - all I can say is Wow!!!!!
You said that you were really pleased with one of your photos this week and as I scrolled down I kept thinking "it must be this one!"
:clap: :clap: :clap: for the Goldcrest, but I'd have been pleased with any of these.
BTW I shall have to remember that technique for bird photos . . . stun them first :LOL:

I love the abstract of the Trooping Funnel gills. Very appealing and I think this could work well as a B&W too.
I can see a few fungi hunters being jealous of your Earth Star and the butterfly comes a very close second to the Goldcrest for shot of the week for me.

Thanks, Sarah. Glad you liked this week's offerings. I will add a new piece of kit when I go out photographing birds - a hammer! Actually, we often get birds hitting the window, but usually they end up on the ground so not good subjects for photographs. It was just lucky that it landed in the greenery. If I had not told you, you would probably never have known it was sitting there stunned. I had to keep whistling at it to keep it awake!

A great week, Jenny. The butterfly shot is beautifully composed with great lighting and the goldcrest is superb!

Great stuff,

Phil

Thanks, Phil. The butterfly shot was also lucky. It just happened to be feeding on the yellow flowers above my head with a lovely blue sky in the background.

I'm not sure what there was to debate about posting the gills Jenny, its abstractness gives it a little something extra. The butterfly shot is beautiful with amazing colours.

And what a wonderful stroke of luck having such a character drop into your proverbial lap. You've made the most of the fleeting moment and captured it brilliantly. Fantastic week (y)

Thanks, Darren. Sometimes when I take a shot, I really cannot make up my mind whether or not it is rubbish, especially with an abstract. I don't really know what makes a good abstract, but I liked the lines on this one.

Nature provides us with some real works of art if you look closely enough.

Jenny

Love the gills in that mushroom, well lit and very well composed. Excellent. The Flutterby is also good, but...

they all pale into ... compared to those goldcrest shots... Stunning, and very well taken indeed. The detail and sharpness in that close up is amazing... Now, how to rig up a toughened glass panel in the flight path and not end up with dead birds :thinking:

What a wonderful set this week! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The fungus gills make a beautiful abstract, while the earthstar is a seriously weird creation - definitely like an alien to me. In fact maybe you could photoshop it a bit and pass it off as one to your local rag :LOL:.

The butterfly shot is beautiful, with lovely colours and detail. The goldcrest is simply stunning ;). They are lovely little birds - I'm so glad it didn't come to any harm. The same thing happened to a goldfinch here a few weeks ago, but before I could do anything a cat appeared out of nowhere...:(

WOW Jenny not a bad shot amongst them, as I scrolled down they got better and better, real tough choice - but at a pinch I would say the Butterfly, just because the crispness of the capture and colours. You should be VERY proud of this collection, you really have found your niche ;)

Love the gills in that mushroom, well lit and very well composed. Excellent. The Flutterby is also good, but...

they all pale into ... compared to those goldcrest shots... Stunning, and very well taken indeed. The detail and sharpness in that close up is amazing... Now, how to rig up a toughened glass panel in the flight path and not end up with dead birds :thinking:

LOL. Thanks, John, your comments are much appreciated. I was really lucky with the Goldcrest. Those opportunities don't happen often.

What a wonderful set this week! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The fungus gills make a beautiful abstract, while the earthstar is a seriously weird creation - definitely like an alien to me. In fact maybe you could photoshop it a bit and pass it off as one to your local rag :LOL:.

The butterfly shot is beautiful, with lovely colours and detail. The goldcrest is simply stunning ;). They are lovely little birds - I'm so glad it didn't come to any harm. The same thing happened to a goldfinch here a few weeks ago, but before I could do anything a cat appeared out of nowhere...:(

Thanks, Tracer. A blackbird hit our window a few weeks ago and was not quite so lucky. It ended up on the patio and I was pretty sure it was dead. I left it there in case it came round but half an hour later it was gone. I don't think it flew off, I would guess one of the crows got it :(

WOW Jenny not a bad shot amongst them, as I scrolled down they got better and better, real tough choice - but at a pinch I would say the Butterfly, just because the crispness of the capture and colours. You should be VERY proud of this collection, you really have found your niche ;)

Thanks, Dade. That is praise indeed. I am surprised that so many of you like the butterfly shot. It was a bit high actually and I could not get very close. But, I think the colours are very pretty.

Jenny

Well after last week, I guess that all of my shots this week will be disappointing. The weather has not helped. It has been very, very grey - not photography weather at all until this weekend when I did not have much time.

The squirrels are hyperactive at the minute collecting nuts and acorns and hiding them away for the winter. They don't bother with the bird feeders at all at this time of year. Other animals have been feasting on the fungi.

I was surprised to find a conker that had been overlooked, so thought I would take a shot of it. Nothing special but there had just been a shower and those rain drops are authentic.

Img_1383b.jpg

There is still an amazing amount of fungi around. Here is another which also looks like something from outer space. These weird and wonderful shapes never cease to amaze me. One of my books says this is poisonous and another says it is edible but not very nice. I am not planning to try. It is about a couple of inches high and very jelly-like.

Img_1516d.jpg

Next is just a clump of boletes - red cracking boletes named for fairly obvious reasons. Apparently edible but soggy.

Img_1540b.jpg

Finally, my favourite for the week (although it looks a bit colourless compared the the other photos this week). At this time of year, there is the benefit that when the sun does shine, it is not so high in the sky. When I took this one, it was mid-afternoon but the light was already quite golden. It is interesting that most of the leaves are still on the trees. You can see that there are not many on the ground. I think it is going to be a very colourful autumn.

My concern with this shot was to get the main tree vertical. Because they are on a slope, the trees are all at funny angles.

Img_1306b.jpg

As usual, C & C is very welcome.

Jenny

More great shots Jenny... Love that conker shot... spot on... The shrooms are both good, but I think I might be tempted to try and darken the green in the right rear of the second one... it's not a problem as such... just doesn't quite fit with the rest of the background.

I do like the last one very much... wish I had somewhere nearby I knew about that was like that.

Hi Jenny - as usual I like your fungi shots and the conker is an interesting take on a familiar subject. I agree the last one is compositionally the most interesting. I'm on my laptop with a rubbish screen, but I'd be tempted to adjust the colours to make them slightly warmer.

Phil

Lovely conker colours and water drops but the depth of field is a little too shallow (for me) as I'd like the back of the shell to just be in focus too :)

Two good fungi shots once again, the first made me go yuck as it looked like wet pasta. The second with no explanation needed for its name, looking a lot like tiger bread. I keep wanting to flick that water droplet off though.

Beautiful wooded area and you've caught the light and patchwork of shadows nicely.

Thanks for sharing :clap:

More great shots Jenny... Love that conker shot... spot on... The shrooms are both good, but I think I might be tempted to try and darken the green in the right rear of the second one... it's not a problem as such... just doesn't quite fit with the rest of the background.

I do like the last one very much... wish I had somewhere nearby I knew about that was like that.

Many thanks, John. I was not sure about the green in the background of the boletes. They were growing under 2 fir trees which were quite dark underneath - hence the dark background. I already cloned out a bit of green on top left. Maybe I should clone out the green on top right. I will have a play with it.

Hi Jenny - as usual I like your fungi shots and the conker is an interesting take on a familiar subject. I agree the last one is compositionally the most interesting. I'm on my laptop with a rubbish screen, but I'd be tempted to adjust the colours to make them slightly warmer.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I don't usually do much PP on my photos. I am always worried about overdoing it. When I was PPing the landscape shot, I thought it looked rather colourful. When I uploaded it next to the other shots, it looked really colourless. I will have another go, try to warm it up a bit and maybe saturate it a bit more.

Lovely conker colours and water drops but the depth of field is a little too shallow (for me) as I'd like the back of the shell to just be in focus too :)

Two good fungi shots once again, the first made me go yuck as it looked like wet pasta. The second with no explanation needed for its name, looking a lot like tiger bread. I keep wanting to flick that water droplet off though.

Beautiful wooded area and you've caught the light and patchwork of shadows nicely.

Thanks for sharing :clap:

Thanks, Darren. I thought I had got all the conker in focus. That was the intention but I can see now the back is not quite in focus. I took a few more with less DOF and they did not work at all.

Yes, the white saddle fungus is just like wet pasta (very al dente!). I did not notice the water drop on the boletes until I was processing the shot.

Jenny

Another lovely set. They are all good but I particularly like the boletes - great detail and the water drop is part of it - and the wooded landscape which is just so beautiful and serene.

Another lovely set. They are all good but I particularly like the boletes - great detail and the water drop is part of it - and the wooded landscape which is just so beautiful and serene.

Many thanks, Tracer, your comments are much appreciated.

Jenny

Really struggling to find time this week and next week is not going to get any better with all the things I have on at the moment. I also could not be bothered to scrabble about on my hands and knees so no fungi this week. Anyway, here goes with this week's offerings...

I have been trying to find a way to capture the falling leaves and have had little success. This is the best I have managed so far.

Img_2109b.jpg

In the next one, the robin is deliberately centred because I wanted to include the bit of branch on the right. I thought it made the shot a bit more interesting.

Img_1883b.jpg

Finally, this may seem like deja vue but this photo was actually taken this week. The yellow flowers are the same as the photo a couple of weeks ago, the blue sky is the same, but the butterfly is different (first decent shot of a red admiral that I have managed this year). I was also able to get closer by standing on one of the garden chairs. The Mahonia is very tall (about 12 feet) and the butterflies seem to like the flowers at the top best.

It was interesting to see this brave little thing. The temperature the night before had been down to -3C and even though it was sunny when I took the shot, there was a very cold northerly wind. You can see it has its wings wide open to soak up the suns rays. I often wonder where they go at night to shelter from the cold.

I am pleased with this shot and I love the sheen on its wings.

Img_1605b.jpg

Yours comments are very welcome.

Jenny

You have posted some really beautiful shots since I last checked. The Two butterflies on the mahonia are lovely, the funghi are really interesting but my favourite is the Autumn Sunshine picture which has lovely tones and is very restful.

Another set of beautiful images. The colour and detail in the leaf are particularly striking this week.

You have posted some really beautiful shots since I last checked. The Two butterflies on the mahonia are lovely, the funghi are really interesting but my favourite is the Autumn Sunshine picture which has lovely tones and is very restful.

Many thanks for your comments, Sue. Glad you like them.

that last set is beautiful - I love to colour of the leaf in the first one.

Thanks, JL. I could not resist taking the shot with the sun shining through the leaf.

Another set of beautiful images. The colour and detail in the leaf are particularly striking this week.

Thanks, Darren, the colour of the leaf has not been enhanced. Nature really does provide some gorgreous colours.

Jenny

Another three lovely shots Jenny, but that Red Admiral shot leaps out for me... Lovely blue sky behind it and that contrasts nicely with it. I prefer the blue sky background to the new one, but the new one works very well too.

Jenny dont mean to sound patronising but shots are outstanding, they really are! and you say you're struggling???!?!?! Quality work that, and you make it look effortless week after week :clap:

Back