Jessops

It will certainly be very interesting to see how they plan to compete with not only the might of Amazon but those operating on the very grey market like Panamoz & Digitalrev

If they do plan to compete that is :LOL: It's good news for us lot though, a ridiculously priced store potentially replaced with a reasonably priced one :)

Be interesting to see how this pans out with the Jones lad involved.
First order of buisness would be to establish vouchers value and see if they can offer to redeem those with said vouchers.
Beyond that, I still would like to think there's scope for a good few of the stores remaining as physical entities, but maybe relocated to another area of the town where overheads are much lower.
Don't think there's much call for putting them in with something like Debenhams or Boots, although the notion isn't entirely without merit.

If it remains an online only business, I'm not really seeing much of a future for it, to be honest. What's their USP compared to Amazon?
Can't be the name as even with the past trading history making a lovely story, the name isn't synonymous with anything other than just another shop in a town/city that happened to sell cameras.

Last edited:
He's buying the brand and some of the assets. Not the liabilities so there's no chance of vouchers being honoured.

According to the Beeb, he's planning online only and has bought some of the leftover stock and intellectual property.

So there's not going to be a physical shop anytime soon although I personally did think the HMV/Jessops idea had legs. HMV have all this store space, it would have been ideal to put a section with cameras in it. That said, the time was probably a couple of years ago, not now.

According to the Beeb, he's planning online only and has bought some of the leftover stock and intellectual property.

So there's not going to be a physical shop anytime soon although I personally did think the HMV/Jessops idea had legs. HMV have all this store space, it would have been ideal to put a section with cameras in it. That said, the time was probably a couple of years ago, not now.

Actually they should have put the jessops in Tescos. Just re-branded them Tescops!

Last edited:
Would be nice to see some small, friendly shops that allow trade-ins. It would also be very nice if PJ opens up a shop close to Leicester for selfish reasons!! I'm personally not keen on online only as I don't see how they will compete with the mighty Amazon. Here's hoping, anyway.

He's buying the brand and some of the assets. Not the liabilities so there's no chance of vouchers being honoured.

Wasn't aware you spoke to Peter and the rest of the buyers about their strategy and plans!
It will depend on the value of those vouchers, and whether the honouring of them will ingratiate them with the holders and buyers for those whom they were purchased as a gift, in an effort to retain their ongoing loyalty and custom.

If they don't, then there's every chance those affected will curse Jessops at every opportunity for a very long time to come, even though it's only the name that's common.

With no physical retail presence, where's the incentive to buy from a formerly defunct high street name instead of one you already trust?

There obviously has to be more than purely the name behind the intrinsic worth they see, but unless it's IP or patents, I struggle to see any sort of success for it as an online only outfit.
Needless to say, those unemployed will still be so, so nothing has really changed with this news.

Wasn't aware you spoke to Peter and the rest of the buyers about their strategy and plans!

I didn't have to. I merely read up on what is available in the public domain before posting :razz:

He is just doing what Jessops should have done. Closed their shops a long time ago and changed to an online only business that could fairly compete with the online businesses that were killing them. They had an advantage that people knew their name and would have more trust in it that some of the lesser known online outfits.

If they ever need to have shops again then maybe just have large shops in major cities that run at slight loss but sell at online prices that make it worth travelling for.

He is just doing what Jessops should have done. Closed their shops a long time ago and changed to an online only business that could fairly compete with the online businesses that were killing them. They had an advantage that people knew their name and would have more trust in it that some of the lesser known online outfits.

If they ever need to have shops again then maybe just have large shops in major cities that run at slight loss but sell at online prices that make it worth travelling for.

The problem is that I wouldn't have bought my camera if it were fron online. I wanted to look and feel the camera before ordering, and that's why I bought it From Jessops shop.

GatoAzul1968 said:
The problem is that I wouldn't have bought my camera if it were fron online. I wanted to look and feel the camera before ordering, and that's why I bought it From Jessops shop.

But many more people just went into Jessops for a 'feel' then bought online.

That's why the high st is unsustainable for big ticket items.

It's says on sky he has just bought the brand and plans to run it as an online store with no plans to open shops

Ive just heard the same on Absolute Radio

On-line / not re-opening stores - still be too expensive is my guess they have a lot of on-line suppliers to compete with like Amazon for eg :shrug:

I too used Jessops to get a feel fo ritems then bought at a much lower price from amazon my latest purchase a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Jessops price around £600 Amazon price around £500 no contest

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

On-line / not re-opening stores - still be too expensive is my guess they have a lot of on-line suppliers to compete with like Amazon for eg :shrug:

I too used Jessops to get a feel fo ritems then bought at a much lower price from amazon my latest purchase a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Jessops price around £600 Amazon price around £500 no contest

Les (y)

So how are you going to shop in the future? Are you going to be wild and buy things without touching them first?

I have to say if the vouchers are not honoured then to me they have set their moral standards, there for I will NOT be shopping with them again online or not.

I know some will think that it is not the new owners place to honour them, but as per usual administrators gathered as much assets as possible to pay debts owed to the already extremely rich whilst sticking two fingers up at the everyman.

I'd rather give tax dodging Amazon my money.

Bucketp said:
It's says on sky he has just bought the brand and plans to run it as an online store with no plans to open shops

Been on the radio this morning, they've bought the brand, stock and all assets - so will be interesting as what happens ...

Gr8Shot said:
I have to say if the vouchers are not honoured then to me they have set their moral standards, there for I will NOT be shopping with them again online or not.

I know some will think that it is not the new owners place to honour them, but as per usual administrators gathered as much assets as possible to pay debts owed to the already extremely rich whilst sticking two fingers up at the everyman.

I'd rather give tax dodging Amazon my money.

There is zero moral obligation for the new owners to honour any outstanding vouchers, that said I'd be surprised if they don't offer some kind of arrangement for them to be redeemed. (at least partially)

I received vouchers for Jessops from my family for Christmas, I did not bother sending them in as had assumed there will be no chance of getting the value of them back. What should I do now that Jessops has been bought over, do I hold on to them or send in a copy of them with a covering letter?
The value is for £150 so not a huge amount but still a lot for me. I know I would never fully trust vouchers as gifts again especially in today's climate.

Any advice much appreciated.

Carol

Les (y)

So how are you going to shop in the future? Are you going to be wild and buy things without touching them first?

NO I'll go to London Camera Exchange :D

I know there were other factors but the fondlers like Lez are a major reason for Jessops demise - and it looks like he wants to see LCE go the same way... By all means buy on the internet but don't (ab)use the High Street as a showroom.

In the future? I have been buying things online without touching them first for years. I would hardly call it wild.

with Jessop's price and their choice of delivery company (terrible YoDel when I used them a few months ago), I would rather buy from competitors.

Jessop's main advantage for me is in-store collect. I'm never home for the delivery, so able to get my hands on the goods relatively quickly without having to travel miles to the depo was the reason to buy from them.

There is zero moral obligation for the new owners to honour any outstanding vouchers, that said I'd be surprised if they don't offer some kind of arrangement for them to be redeemed. (at least partially)
Nice to meet you, arbiter of moral dilemmas! I disagree. It may be good business sense for them not to, but morally, in my opinion it stinks.

I know there were other factors but the fondlers like Lez are a major reason for Jessops demise - and it looks like he wants to see LCE go the same way... By all means buy on the internet but don't (ab)use the High Street as a showroom.

LCE are different, in that they cater for the pre-owned buyers who may be more cautious about buying a used lens.
There, they can see the state of what's on offer rather than rely on pictures and varying definitions of "mint condition" on eBay, although you can get a good feel from the amount of effort certain sellers put into their description and photos.

Even Argos/PCWorld/TescoDirect all have an eBay outlet account for refurbs or new sales, maybe another trick (along with doing away with the pre-owned side of the business) they missed.

To my mind, they tried to move themselves into a boutique style retailer, which to be fair, the new store interior did look pretty good, but the former style exuded more charm and a certain je ne c'est quoi that made the new look a bit too sterile and unappealing.

They need to be more competitive than old Jessops were online,on more than 1 occasion I bought from high street independents cheaper than Jessops online

They would be more competetive as the online only store would not have to prop up all of the shops. Their previous online prices just matched their shop prices didn't they?

Some of the deals they had were equal to (and better) than others, when using the camerapricebuster site.
Maybe the most use of their online store was the click and collect aspect, like Currys does too.
Short of doing likewise but in say the likes of a Boots/Debenhams store, beating Amazon UK to rolling out the same thing they're trialling in the US, I fail to see how Jessops as an online entity solely, warrants buying from other than existing buyers' nostalgia being invoked.
Can't see the appeal to new customers who've never set foot inside a Jessops store.

Like I've said before, I don't understand the intrinsic value of the brand name that warrants it being retained, reused, and relaunched.
It started off, and expanded, as a bricks & mortar company - the least that should happen is the original store (where it currently is located in Leicester) be reopened and a few key stores in certain areas - even if relocated to a cheaper area of the town or an out of town outlet/retail park.

Nice to meet you, arbiter of moral dilemmas! I disagree. It may be good business sense for them not to, but morally, in my opinion it stinks.

Are they morally obliged to rehire all the Jessops staff that lost their jobs too?

I can kind of see where you're coming from - if they hope to benefit from the goodwill/branding and customer base then maybe they should look after previous customers. But I don't think morality comes into it.

..... I fail to see how Jessops as an online entity solely, warrants buying from other than existing buyers' nostalgia being invoked.
Can't see the appeal to new customers who've never set foot inside a Jessops store.

Like I've said before, I don't understand the intrinsic value of the brand name that warrants it being retained, reused, and relaunched.
It started off, and expanded, as a bricks & mortar company - the least that should happen is the original store (where it currently is located in Leicester) be reopened and a few key stores in certain areas - even if relocated to a cheaper area of the town or an out of town outlet/retail park.

I think you are underestimating the power of the brand name. A lot of people recognise Jessops and would feel safer to buy from that online store that some company.com they had never heard of based in some country they may also never have heard of!

I think you are underestimating the power of the brand name. A lot of people recognise Jessops and would feel safer to buy from that online store that some company.com they had never heard of based in some country they may also never have heard of!

+1

A strong brand, UK based and PJ behind it, all add up to what could be a competitive reliable company to buy from.

Are they morally obliged to rehire all the Jessops staff that lost their jobs too?

I can kind of see where you're coming from - if they hope to benefit from the goodwill/branding and customer base then maybe they should look after previous customers. But I don't think morality comes into it.

Nah if they were keeping the physical shops open then yes but you don't need to staff an online store in the same way. However they are the same business so should honour the point of the vouchers which was to exchange them for something of the value printed on them. No one paid £100 for the privilege of owning a worthless voucher. In my opinion they are breaking a promise and effectively stealing peoples money.

Except the name Jessops is now trashed. Even non-photographers now know they've gone bust and sacked all the staff so who is going to buy from them?

Alan

Its not just vouchers that people lost out on.
I ordered a filter holder and adaptor ring 2 days before the administration for home delivery from my local jessops which I will never see. I certainly won't be purchasing from the jessops brand again regardless of who owns it if vouchers and orders are not fulfilled or refunded.
In my opinion if you want the brand name, you honour the brand name and that means honouring the customers.

Except the name Jessops is now trashed. Even non-photographers now know they've gone bust and sacked all the staff so who is going to buy from them?

Alan

Nonsense.

I wouldn't have a problem buying from Jessops.

Back