Job failure, worried about future, can't find work, change of career

Your already setup as Daelpix Photography . I cant see anyone suggesting you expand on that and make money ? :) So I will... Not as landscape but have you looked into portrait or pet or whatever photography start making money ?

Has anyone suggested it?.. i didn't see it if not then thats just a cheek in a photo forum :)

Everyone's personal situation & circumstances will be different/vary.........

So when I was made redundant in 2016 I actively, as in I "signed on", sought out work and applied for two even before my first appointment at the Job Centre.

I found the Job Centre and the way it worked a frustrating and in part an humiliating experience....but as they properly say there 'your job now is to find another job...'

The job I ended up with was one of those first two I applied for :) But it was AFAIK just minimum wage, though had a lot going for it for me ~ 4 day week, a charity I was actually already a member of and a line manager that engendered respect. NB at about the same time as I accepted the new job the Job Centre had arranged for me to attend an Executive job search workshop. I did pause....but quickly decided I had made the right choice and had no desire to rejoin the corporate ratrace.

However, it was physically demanding as most shifts were outdoors come rain or shine. I worked for them over 2 winters and in that third year I was already of a mind to give it up because I dreaded doing another winter but other matters were also getting to me!

One key thing in both signing on and getting even such a low paid job compared to what I was used to earning was National Insurance payments. On JSA they pay your full NI, in the work that also paid my full NI. The result was that come the moment when I decided to give up the job my NI contributions were 'complete' to mean I was fully eligible for a "Full State Pension" when I eventually reached the notified age.

As a consequence I retired a little early and frankly happy that I did. One thing for sure, for me was that after 47 years I had paid my dues for my (eventually due) state pension and other than JSA I had no intention of being on benefits!

I suppose the message I am giving out, is that in practice it matters not what the job is provided you have appropriate aim(s) in mind :)

I'm not sure that HGV driving is even a good option. HGV1 drivers earn a bit more than HGV2, but normally have to work very long hours and journey work is very disruptive to home life.
It depends who you work for I guess. As I said my son has Class 2, works for Jewsons and is a 6-2 job, he is home by 3 pm. Not all HGV jobs are long distance nights away. There refuse truck driving.
If the OP has worked in production, he will be used to working with his hands, how about looking to see if any of the big windscreen replacement/repair companies need anyone.

How is the OP getting on finding a job?

How is the OP getting on finding a job?

I have been put in mind of something I heard in the repeat of the Michael Ball interview with Capt Sir Tom Moore.

At one point in his post war working history he took a menial low paid job.......saying in the interview "you have to have a job (any job)......to get another job....". Sage words as I think have been mentioned above.

Last edited:
Your already setup as Daelpix Photography . I cant see anyone suggesting you expand on that and make money ? :) So I will... Not as landscape but have you looked into portrait or pet or whatever photography start making money ?

Has anyone suggested it?.. i didn't see it if not then thats just a cheek in a photo forum :)

After the op asked for help & his responses in the business forum when help was offered then I’m struggling to see that workung

After the op asked for help & his responses in the business forum when help was offered then I’m struggling to see that workung

Didnt realise.. just looked... oh dear now I remember.....

"you have to have a job (any job)......to get another job...."
This is true. It's unfortunate that schools don't appear to drum that into the young.

I have been a HGV1 driver for 30 years now , It's not that easy to get the licence I think you now need to do a 7.5 ton licence for a year , Then Class 2 17 ton for another year and only then do the HGV1 test then you are sorted , so it is a commitment but worth it .
I now class myself as a steering wheel attendant as the new lorrys almost drive themselves Automatic everthing , Once you learn the ropes and Tacho laws re driving time and rest periods it dare I say is easy , You need to adopt a policy of calm when you go out your front door as nearly all joe public for some unknown reason tend to dislike lorry drivers
They MUST get in front of you regardless , cut you up , give you the middle finger and the w---er sign if they don't get their own way , It really is unbelivable at times

I once had a word with a mature lady at a roundabout who tried to overtake me around the outside of the roundabout , She run out of road then lent on the horn , I stopped got out of the cab to see what had happened , Then it started a torrent of abuse including all the f ing a c ing . I stood and listend until she ran out of abuse , Then calmy walked up to the window and explained that everything she owne's , wears , eats and even drives at some point goes on a lorry and she should give us drivers some respect , All that happened then was she wound up the window and reversed away

Hoo Hum

Last edited:
To be fair, there's plenty of blame to go round on both sides. One thing that really annoys many car drivers is a lorry in the otside lane of two, attempting to pass another lorry while travelling only 1 or 2 MPH faster.

I, of course, simply think kind thoughts and stay well back until the "faster" lorry has completed its manoeuvre... :naughty:

Yep I agree , Some HGV 1 idiots need the licences revoked

So far this year I've applied for a cleaner at the MOD (didn't move onto next stage as they said I didn't have any experience in cleaning. I should have said I have some cleaning experience from my 2 jobs and from home, but very much doubt that would have made a difference......Would have been good money too)

Postal worker (with driving) - Haven't heard anything yet

Delivery driver for auto parts - Rejected (no experience/skills)

Another driving job - Rejected

I've not heard the whole thread and apologies if this sounds harsh but I was told I was getting made redundant on the 25th January, I've applied for over 40 jobs, had 3 interviews this week and have 3 lined up next week... You can't want work that much if you've applied for 4 jobs this year?

I've not heard the whole thread and apologies if this sounds harsh but I was told I was getting made redundant on the 25th January, I've applied for over 40 jobs, had 3 interviews this week and have 3 lined up next week... You can't want work that much if you've applied for 4 jobs this year?

Have to echo these comments.. I was made redundant last June 22 for my job; Interview lined up and went for a few interviews and started my next position on July 9; Been in that position since, but believe it or not, redundant again 2 weeks ago; Admittedly I hated this job with a passion, despite the salary increase. I've now got one "solid" job offer to start in April, but have some third stage interviews lined up for other positions. In the meantime I'm enjoying the time off - which isn't really time off, as I'm focusing more on catching on work for the "side" hostels. There are opportunities for sure - present yourself to the best of your capabilities and the world is the oyster.

Have to echo these comments.. I was made redundant last June 22 for my job; Interview lined up and went for a few interviews and started my next position on July 9; Been in that position since, but believe it or not, redundant again 2 weeks ago; Admittedly I hated this job with a passion, despite the salary increase. I've now got one "solid" job offer to start in April, but have some third stage interviews lined up for other positions. In the meantime I'm enjoying the time off - which isn't really time off, as I'm focusing more on catching on work for the "side" hostels. There are opportunities for sure - present yourself to the best of your capabilities and the world is the oyster.

Glad someone has the right mindset. Well done on getting something solid(y).

I had an interview Monday morning and was offered the job Monday afternoon.... Its exactly the same job I was doing, for more money and closer to home, so a winner there ;). They contacted me after seeing my CV online as well.

Writing two pages on my website to look for companies who want a photographer to photograph inside their business. But offering a free service then I can get a portfolio.

Always plenty of jobs on the railway. Happened to me, I was made redundant from engineering saw an advert to become a train driver, thought I would give it a go, thinking it would be a short term fix until I got back into engineering. That was 29 years ago, retiring later this year.

Always plenty of jobs on the railway. Happened to me, I was made redundant from engineering saw an advert to become a train driver, thought I would give it a go, thinking it would be a short term fix until I got back into engineering. That was 29 years ago, retiring later this year.
Unless it's delayed! ;)

Sorry, too good a chance to miss for a laugh! Happy retirement when it comes.

do you get lots of people visiting your site then,

Hardly anyone visits my site. But that's where advertising on social media comes in. I may have made a mistake in paying for a website last year, but I don't care. I need to find out what I'm capable of. I won't know what I can accomplish if I don't try, and no one is going to stop me trying.

Writing two pages on my website to look for companies who want a photographer to photograph inside their business. But offering a free service then I can get a portfolio.

Years ago I saw an analogy about getting business, as in you may have made the greatest mouse trap in the world and no doubt it would make millions because the demand for such a trap would be so high. BUT as you live deep in the forest how will your potential customers even know that you exist???

Or perhaps to put it another way ~ e.g. you live in Ingbirchworth and put an "A sign board" outside your house advertising your photography services..............but your potential customers are in Huddersfield ~ the chances of them even knowing you are exist because you have put out the "A sign", where you live, are (sadly) zero :(

do you get lots of people visiting your site then,

:plus1: :agree:

Hardly anyone visits my site. But that's where advertising on social media comes in. I may have made a mistake in paying for a website last year, but I don't care. I need to find out what I'm capable of. I won't know what I can accomplish if I don't try, and no one is going to stop me trying.

Pushing forward with purpose is a good approach.........but continuing to bang your head on the wall hoping that the headache will eventually stop is not the answer. Are you sufficiently sure that the business customers that you wish to attract the attention of, are looking at the social media 'space' that you occupy?

without a properly thought out plan (and maybe taking some of the good advice you were given) you face an uphill struggle. Where do your target market look for photographers?

Last edited:
May have a job on Monday if I enjoy it. Starting at 2am and working til around 9am. Packing and Driving job for a bakery. Hopefully I'll enjoy it and have a job. Can't wait !:banana:

Good luck with it. Don't eat all the perks or you'll be big as a house before you know it. :jaffano:

May have a job on Monday if I enjoy it. Starting at 2am and working til around 9am. Packing and Driving job for a bakery. Hopefully I'll enjoy it and have a job. Can't wait !:banana:
Good luck with it, but you don't need to enjoy it, you just need a job - any job - to prove to future employers that you're worth employing.

Good luck with it, but you don't need to enjoy it, you just need a job - any job - to prove to future employers that you're worth employing.

This. Enjoyment is a happy by-product if you're lucky. A bit like cutting the grass, it's terribly tedious but the satisfaction comes from having done it and the garden not looking like you didn't give a toss.

Good luck with it. Don't eat all the perks or you'll be big as a house before you know it. :jaffano:

Sadly I put weight on when I was working at a chocolate factory for 10 years :ROFLMAO: But thankfully, I stopped

Reactions: Sky
Well done you , Stick at it and over time it will become easier , Once you know where the delivery locations are it will be a piece of cake
Did you see what I did :D

Well done. (y) Never mind about enjoying it (but I hope you do), just do it! If you don't like it then actively look for something else and use your dislike of the job as an incentive to do that. It's always easier to find a job if you already have one, and after such a long absence from the working environment you need this job for your CV to prove you are worth employing (honest, cheerful, reliable, punctual, helpful and dependable). So even if your line manager is rude and unappreciative, or they work you to death and the pay is lousy, then continue to work hard, remain polite and helpful and bite your tongue until you've found something else and given them at least a couple of weeks notice (or whatever your employment contract says) so they can find a replacement. That way you can ask for a reference when you do find something else.

Didn't get the job.......back to applying for sh!t factory jobs unless something turns up.

Didn't get the job.......back to applying for sh!t factory jobs unless something turns up.
Factory manager is not a s*** job. Nor is production manager. I spent twelve years training and supervising agency staff in a factory - challenging, exhausting, I got to know many hundreds of people from all over the world. Very definitely not a s*** job but it started with me packing bags of snacks into boxes which was ghastly. Get in, move up.

Factory manager is not a s*** job. Nor is production manager. I spent twelve years training and supervising agency staff in a factory - challenging, exhausting, I got to know many hundreds of people from all over the world. Very definitely not a s*** job but it started with me packing bags of snacks into boxes which was ghastly. Get in, move up.

This is something I used to tell new starters, look around you at the competition and imagine where you could be in a few years. Some were just there because the social had forced them to take a job on threat of stopping benefits but some did show some interest and make a go of it.

Last edited:
My first job was in a factory, as a trainee production control scheduler. I had absolutely no experience or idea what I was going to be doing, but learnt quickly, worked hard and really enjoyed it. The factory vibe can be brilliant.
Did you apply for the census temporary jobs?

..back to applying for sh!t factory jobs unless something turns up.

I think you lost a lot of sympathy votes insulting millions of factory workers haha

One of the easiest ways to get back into the job market is temping, so try approaching some agencies.
Over the Years, between jobs, Redundances, etc. Agencies kept the wolf from the door. As a Qualified Electrician I`ve worked in Factories, Pies for M&S, Plastic Products, Flat Pack Furniture.
Bin man, yep.
Jobing Electrician for a few weeks here and there, with the Agency.
When a prospective employer sees that you are prepared to put yourself out then they will employ you over the person that has done nothing.
Also, keep any rejection letters to prove that you have been actively seeking work.

It worked for me.

And during the Evenings when on low wages I have been a Delivery Driver for a Fish and Chip Shop after a full days work often working from 8.00 am til 11 pm

and

and as Distributer for a local Free Newspaper.

I like many others have done factory work. Wasn't what I wanted to do, but it was a job. I find your attitude to work, to be honest rather poor.

You don't seem to have grasped the basic principle that it is easier to find work when you are actually working.

As I hiring manager I would always rate somebody who was actually working above somebody who wasn't.

Most managers want more than anything else is somebody who is reliable. So somebody who is working can demonstrate they can at least turn up. (even more impressive if they admit they don't like their current job.)

Back