Jury Service

Looks like I am doing it then :(

Our decision regarding your request to be excused from jury service​

Thank you for replying to your jury summons. We have come to the decision to refuse your request to be excused from jury service. You will still need to attend court as summoned.

tell them your in prison or insane, the only way you can dodge it,
ps I've been on one case- guilty = 18years , bye . (not nice)

Thank you for replying to your jury summons. We have come to the decision to refuse your request to be excused from jury service. You will still need to attend court as summoned.

I don't know about England, but in Scotland jury service summons arrive by regular mail. Well, more accurately they are sent by regular mail...

I don't know about England, but in Scotland jury service summons arrive by regular mail. Well, more accurately they are sent by regular mail...

Post #16

Then the rest done online or by post .. response etc

Last edited:

So you’ll still have to attend court but you might get an opportunity to talk to the judge if you get picked for a case, they still have discretion over whether you stay on the case or not.

It seems to be getting harder to avoid being called though, I was talking to a mate the other day who’s an ex serving police officer. He’d done jury service in the past, I honestly thought police officers were still exempt.

So you’ll still have to attend court but you might get an opportunity to talk to the judge if you get picked for a case, they still have discretion over whether you stay on the case or not.

It seems to be getting harder to avoid being called though, I was talking to a mate the other day who’s an ex serving police officer. He’d done jury service in the past, I honestly thought police officers were still exempt.

Guess I am just going to have to suck it up... To be honest its the boredom I am not looking forward to.. even in court sat there for hrs... Its just not me at all .... I would be amazed if I stay awake..... 30th January I go...

Post #16

Then the rest done online or by post .. response etc

Cool, so it isn't signed for.... which is rather handy....

Cool, so it isn't signed for.... which is rather handy....

Right.. I thought you meant as apposed to emailed... you mean not registered... get your point now :)

alarmingly does have a (up to) £1000 fine warning at the bottom of page 1

Never been called, had a couple of friends who got the letter weeks after thier 18th birthday, both did it one ended up being very traumatic.

Right.. I thought you meant as apposed to emailed... you mean not registered... get your point now :)

alarmingly does have a (up to) £1000 fine warning at the bottom of page 1

I was trying to be subtle enough to avoid invoking backlash from the righteous lol

As per post #13 and past experience, until they get their act together with this and also start treating/compensating jurors and their employers better then as long as they cheap out with postage costs...

It seems a shame that some who would like to do jury service were never asked but some who are asked (appointed) do not want the role.

Dave

Guess I am just going to have to suck it up... To be honest its the boredom I am not looking forward to.. even in court sat there for hrs... Its just not me at all .... I would be amazed if I stay awake..... 30th January I go...

Take book or something. I don't know if electronic things like phones and tablets are allowed?

The first time I got called up I got a trial pretty quickly. It was a serious one and once it was over we were released. The second time I was called I didn't get a trial for a couple of days, then got two.

It seems a shame that some who would like to do jury service were never asked but some who are asked (appointed) do not want the role.

Dave

I would quite like to in many ways but at various time in my life it would have simply not been suitable (normally when self employed) - there has also been a few times of unemployment but that time is heavy with interviews and prep so that could have set be back a while too.

I also do not like the fact you cannot automatically get out of it due to an already booked event like a holiday. People can save and plan for ages for big trips and to be told you have to drop that in a couple of months is not acceptable imo. Often its because we had booked trips at the perfect time for us (as well as often a cheaper time) so to defer for a few weeks could cost us much more.

I would quite like to in many ways but at various time in my life it would have simply not been suitable (normally when self employed) - there has also been a few times of unemployment but that time is heavy with interviews and prep so that could have set be back a while too.

I also do not like the fact you cannot automatically get out of it due to an already booked event like a holiday. People can save and plan for ages for big trips and to be told you have to drop that in a couple of months is not acceptable imo. Often its because we had booked trips at the perfect time for us (as well as often a cheaper time) so to defer for a few weeks could cost us much more.
You ARE allowed to change the date if you have a holiday booked.

Take book or something. I don't know if electronic things like phones and tablets are allowed?

The first time I got called up I got a trial pretty quickly. It was a serious one and once it was over we were released. The second time I was called I didn't get a trial for a couple of days, then got two.

While in the waiting area you do seem to be allowed phoens and stuff.... In my original letter was this link and you can see kindles and phones

One thing I have noticed on the video.. All the jurors have pen and paper....... I can't write....seriously...

View: https://youtu.be/yQGekF-72xQ

Last edited:

Dave

It isn't about not wanting the role, it's about the treatment. Maybe it's deliberate so as to put jurors in a mood and then everyone's guilty! haha

All the jurors have pen and paper....... I can't write....seriously...
According to my colleague who did it recently, that's the only permitted way you can make notes to refer to later.

According to my colleague who did it recently, that's the only permitted way you can make notes to refer to later.

I can write.. But only in capitols and only very slowly. and i do mean slow.. if i try to speed up it become impossible to read even for me.. So by the time i make a note i have missed the next bit....this is why i dont do business calls and have everyone email me :) i think this would hinder me if i needed to take lots of notes

i had a lazy eye at school and a patch over the good one.. so any wrtiting was very large... very pressed on and caps only... leaving school at 14 from a very poor standard of learning (not everyone in my class could read.. I could very well) ) I have never had the nead to improve my writing skills... last 30 yrs using computers and any forms my missus fills in :)

So i can and cant write if you see what i mean.. i can but to not much use

I can write.. But only in capitols and only very slowly. and i do mean slow.. if i try to speed up it become impossible to read even for me.. So by the time i make a note i have missed the next bit....this is why i dont do business calls and have everyone email me :) i think this would hinder me if i needed to take lots of notes

i had a lazy eye at school and a patch over the good one.. so any wrtiting was very large... very pressed on and caps only... leaving school at 14 from a very poor standard of learning (not everyone in my class could read.. I could very well) ) I have never had the nead to improve my writing skills... last 30 yrs using computers and any forms my missus fills in :)

Ok, well firstly you shouldn’t need to make notes on everything. Also you can send a note to the judge from the jury room if you need anything explained again. Hopefully your fellow jurors will be keeping notes too, so there should be enough info between you all when or if it comes to any deliberations.

Just keep repeated ‘hang them’ might get you flung oot.

Just keep repeated ‘hang them’ might get you flung oot.
Explain you are familiar with the case of Penn and Mead, also known as Bushel's case. Or that of Clive Ponting if you would like a reference from more recent than 1670.

Jan 30th it is then :(

To me it sounds as if you have some genuine concerns about being able to carry out this duty. Why not contact the clerk of the court and explain the circumstances. It may be that this will not be new to them and they might allow an iPad or similar tablet to be used or possibly decide not to call you. Whatever, you will have done your best.

Dave

To me it sounds as if you have some genuine concerns about being able to carry out this duty. Why not contact the clerk of the court and explain the circumstances. It may be that this will not be new to them and they might allow an iPad or similar tablet to be used or possibly decide not to call you. Whatever, you will have done your best.

Dave

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting the Jury Summoning Bureau,

The court is now aware of your circumstances and should help with your needs during your service.

:(

I did It during the pandemic, wasn’t called in for the first 6 days, day 7 had to attend and sat around for a couple of hours then they took 16-18 of us into the court.
Did some checks that no-one knew any of the defendants or witnesses (a police officer was discharged as a potential juror, as the case had around 15 fellow officers as witnesses!) and then chose 12 at random not including me so I was sent home.
I was discharged on day 8.

I had therefore worked for all but one day of it but felt it was a pita as I couldn’t start any large projects etc in case I had to attend the next day (was notified by text around 2:30 each day for attendance the following day).

od Morning,

Thank you for contacting the Jury Summoning Bureau,

The court is now aware of your circumstances and should help with your needs during your service.

:(

Assuming you do end up on a case, I'd like to thank you for taking the role seriously and doing your best in something so important.

I did It during the pandemic, wasn’t called in for the first 6 days, day 7 had to attend and sat around for a couple of hours then they took 16-18 of us into the court.
Did some checks that no-one knew any of the defendants or witnesses (a police officer was discharged as a potential juror, as the case had around 15 fellow officers as witnesses!) and then chose 12 at random not including me so I was sent home.

That is a good time to stand up and shout "I know all about that filthy scum. They have been vermin all their days. No chance they will ever be anything other than rotten to the core." ............... dismissed !!!

Assuming you do end up on a case, I'd like to thank you for taking the role seriously and doing your best in something so important.

I appreciate that this may be contentious and whilst I do believe that the duty itself is important, I do wonder if the feeling is mutual among all? If it were, then surely a jury duty summons would be sent out by recorded delivery to prevent avoidance, or is the additional cost not worth it to them? Surely jurors would be treated better with remuneration? Surely they would change the system to avoid repetitive time wasting by the accused and the subsequent detrimental effects to the jurors?

I was called for jury service at a coroners court some time ago but wasn't chosen. I was summoned again in 2021 but a phone call got it deferred for a year. Summoned again for September 2022. It was interesting and the case we heard took 5 days to conclusion. After that we were discharged. That was useful as I am self employed, and the court daily rate and expenses left me well out of pocket. Jury service is a necessity and it was interesting observing. It surprised me how many times our jury had to leave the court while legal discussions took place, it seemed to be endless. Also although jurors arrived at the specified time there were often long delays before entering the court.

Last edited:
I was called for jury service at a coroners court some time ago but wasn't chosen. I was summoned again in 2021 but a phone call got it deferred for a year. Summoned again for September 2022. It was interesting and the case we heard took 5 days to conclusion. After that we were discharged. That was useful as I am self employed, and the court daily rate and expenses left me well out of pocket. Jury service is a necessity and it was interesting observing. It surprised me how many times our jury had to leave the court while legal discussions took place, it seemed to be endless. Also although jurors arrived at the specified time there were often long delays before entering the court.
I was called as a prosecution witness to a court. I had a 3 hour drive to get there whereupon I was put in the witness room (where there was no separation between prosecution and defence witnesses). No witnesses were called and more than an hour after trial start time the Clerk of Court swirled in and said that we could all go home now. The explanation (which had to be asked for) was that the accused had changed his plea to guilty.
I have been on jury duty 3 times and disorganisation was always the name of the game.

I was called as a prosecution witness to a court. I had a 3 hour drive to get there whereupon I was put in the witness room (where there was no separation between prosecution and defence witnesses). No witnesses were called and more than an hour after trial start time the Clerk of Court swirled in and said that we could all go home now. The explanation (which had to be asked for) was that the accused had changed his plea to guilty.
I have been on jury duty 3 times and disorganisation was always the name of the game.

I was a witness once and had to stand in a corridor with other people, no idea who they were. When I was called the guy pointed at a door for me to go through. I opened it and strode through and almost fell out of the very small witness box immediately behind the door. I don't know if I was the comedy relief as I'd guess everyone did the same thing.

During my jury service the other jurors and people in the small public gallery area appeared to stay wake, but the private security that sat with the defendant in a glass fronted small room at the back of the court did doze off a few times, was really obvious. Also the standard of the incoming security checks varied daily, some were laughable, others completely OTT.

Back