Beginner Just bought this camera on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the cheapest worthwhile digital camera would be? I can see a Nikon D300 on ebay for under £100, and you could go for lower end models than that. A kit zoom would be about another £50. CF cards with reasonable capacity are cheap and easy to find.

That Sony somehow seems more antiquated than my 1930s film cameras. Might be fun to see what can be done with it, but the Memory Stick thing would be a pain. At least it takes AAs and not some long-dead unobtainable rechargeable. There's a Flickr group with some nice shots:
(Don't judge them by the photo pool preview images, which Flickr turns into horrible low-resolution thumbnails - click through to an individual image and you'll see a decent photo).

Last edited:
The other thing is, you'll probably get 'better' photos from a recent mobile phone....... Which is already in your pocket, takes up no extra space and you don't need extra memory cards for......

The OP had a thread containing a bunch of photos https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/my-photos-from-a-recent-wwe-event-last-month.732166/
But it doesn't appear to be a wind-up, in fact its good that TP'ers are trying to guide him against throwing away his money on the wrong things. I do think he has unrealistic expectations, but we all have to learn and for some that is a steeper hill than for others.

I can't see them as to do so you need to sign in to something.

I wonder what the cheapest worthwhile digital camera would be? I can see a Nikon D300 on ebay for under £100, and you could go for lower end models than that. A kit zoom would be about another £50. CF cards with reasonable capacity are cheap and easy to find.

That Sony somehow seems more antiquated than my 1930s film cameras. Might be fun to see what can be done with it, but the Memory Stick thing would be a pain. At least it takes AAs and not some long-dead unobtainable rechargeable. There's a Flickr group with some nice shots:
(Don't judge them by the photo pool preview images, which Flickr turns into horrible low-resolution thumbnails - click through to an individual image and you'll see a decent photo).

My biggest issue with kit zooms is the aperture range which is generally f3.5-5.6. That's ok for good light but once the light drops or you're shooting indoors the ISO needs to rise to keep the shutter speed anything like acceptable for anything moving and this is compounded if you move that zoom ring and head away from f3.5 to f5.6.

I suppose a lot depends on the type of picture to be taken, the light and the settings you can get away with but if faced with buying a DSLR and a f3.5-5.6 lens I think I'd be looking at other options, if lower light / indoor shooting was on the agenda.

£800 for a Sony camera? You're literally paying for the label mate.

A few hours back I paid £15 on eBay for a used Cyber Shot.

Surely this whole thing is a wind-up? Only saying …
After his post in the shopping, suppliers, bargains section, I can assure you it is a wind up.
He thinks spending £799 on a Sony rx100 vII is crazy when you can buy a cyber shot for £15….
say no more.

I think the main problem is that these photos are being judged against those you normally see on here.
They are taken from a considerable distance in poor light, sort of snaps you see taken at a a gig with a phone.

To be honest they are pretty awful and show that basic photography knowledge needs to be learnt before any more purchases are made.
Saying that many people are happy with snaps, just that they seem out of place here where the majority take it more seriously.

After his post in the shopping, suppliers, bargains section, I can assure you it is a wind up.
He thinks spending £799 on a Sony rx100 vII is crazy when you can buy a cyber shot for £15….
say no more.

Maybe it would be worth a lot of the people here reading post 5 before commenting further LINK

I think a little more understanding is called for personally.

Last edited:
Of course, just as some people - myself included - like taking pictures with old film cameras, some will get enjoyment from doing the same with first or second generation digitals. Sometimes it’s the very action of taking the shot rather than the result which matters. However, it’s a whole different ball game if you wish to make money from it.

I like it, but then I have two broken Ion's on the floor in front of me.
May an interesting challenge to stich eight photos into one larger resolution image.
I think I missed the commercial requirement. That might be more challenging...

This thread is a joke, right? Yes LOL!

NO, the OP's moved forward quite a bit in their appreciation of what makes a more suitable camera for them in the past couple of months since this thread opened.

No reason whatsoever to jump into a 2 month old thread and start acting like an ass.

from reading your other replies to threads, it seems you like to just give terse, abrasive answers. Can I assure you, that's not going to fly here, long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back