Beginner Just bought this camera on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really go wrong for the money, as long as it all works.

I have the later 5.1mp version, a handy thing to have in your pocket. The controls and menu nomenclature are a bit odd but easy to get used to. I wish the shutter speed and aperture had more settings.

It is what it is though.

Can you still buy cards for it?

It seems to come with a 16MB Sony memory stick which won't hold many shots unless you choose lowest resolution don't know if larger ones are available or how you will read it, plugging camera in should work assuming PC can find drivers.
At least you aren't also dealing with an obscure battery type.

In decent light the results might be surprisingly good run through modern processing.
I always felt the early digitals were quite impressive at close ups of flowers or something like architectural details
For that price will be quite fun to mess about with

In decent light the results might be surprisingly good run through modern processing.
I always felt the early digitals were quite impressive at close ups of flowers or something like architectural details

Yup. I think for the money it'd be tempting to buy something like this as it'd pay for itself in fun, for a few days.

I may be wrong and the proof is in the end result... but I don't think this is a camera to be looking at as a part of a business model. As I said. I may be wrong.

There's a compact picture thread on this very forum...

So let me get this straight.

You've upgraded your Canon SX20, 12mp 20x zoom camera with a £15 Sony 4mp 3x zoom camera and you want to charge people to shoot their weddings, other dos and selfies
At least he limiting his overheads :LOL:

Sony Cybershot DSC-P73 AA Battery 4.1MP 3x Zoom Digital Compact Camera & 16MB

What do you guys think? It should hopefully arrive by the middle to end of next week.

I've also ordered a Generic Action Camcorder, B - Camcorder from CEX for a fiver, it might not be much cop but it's a fiver.

I don't think it's a good move. I suggested - and it's very valid - plenty of options on the other thread which - may have required one or two weeks more saving but actually done something good for building your skills. With this camera, sure its a camera but likely worse than what you get with a cell phone. As I've mentioned before, learn more about bigger sensor, depth of field etc.. for £60 you can get something that kicks this ass. Just save another couple weeks rather than ending up with more stuff that's the same.

You'd better buy some more of the appropriate Sony Memory Sticks as the one supplied will hold 8 photos.
Well that forces a careful approach to picture composition... no, of course it doesn't as it's still possible to simply waste a roll of 120 by framing up the first eight things you see. I'm not sure what I've walked into here btw.

It seems to come with a 16MB Sony memory stick which won't hold many shots unless you choose lowest resolution don't know if larger ones are available or how you will read it, plugging camera in should work assuming PC can find drivers.
At least you aren't also dealing with an obscure battery type.

So it doesn't work with normal SD memory cards? I have a 32 Gig SD card in my Canon!

To be quite honest I think you have wasted your money.
Sort of thing I have stuffed away in a drawer that you could have had for the price of postage.

You might need a card reader as well - or a suitable lead to connect the camera to a computer.

Fortunately I've just bought a 32 Gig memory stick on Amazon, £23 coming to the Flat tomorrow, the camera's coming between Wednesday and Friday next week.
32GB!? Is that even compatible with the camera? So you’ve now spent nearly 50…

Fortunately I've just bought a 32 Gig memory stick on Amazon, £23 coming to the Flat tomorrow, the camera's coming between Wednesday and Friday next week.

hope you got the right one. There’s memory stick, memory stick pro and memory stick duo.

does this ancient camera even support 32gb?

I sincerely hope it works well for you........but what is it that attracted you to a 17 year old camera model and then needing to buy a special memory card, that is only usable in that (or similar Sony models), for more than the camera cost?

PS as mentioned by @ecoleman it is not clear if that camera supports such a high capacity card. The manual & reviews say nothing on the subject :thinking:

Last edited:
An "interesting" camera choice is now turning into an interesting project.

OP.
I do hope all goes well for you but in your place I think I'd look at a cheap interchangeable lens camera system but only after doing some more research or question asking on forums. Personally I'd go mirrorless and you could possibly do that with a camera and lens or even two lenses for maybe £250-£350 if willing to buy used. I don't know how much DSLR's cost as I'm out of touch. But, I do think you need to have a think about what you want to achieve and how to get there before throwing more money at this.

Good luck with it.

£200 - £300 on Wex used mirrorless cameras brings up a few options that could be considered. There are other providers such as MPB, etc that could be worth a look also. You'd probably get a little more for your money on DSLR cameras used also.

If I may comment (as I'm a newbie also) I'd stop buying things until you know what you want to shoot and have asked around for some advice. It may save you wasting money further.

I've got what I consider to be okay kit now for a hobby, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going off to shoot a wedding. I'm on a course currently learning and practicing what we learn. There is a fair amount to photography that kit doesn't cover (in my opinion) but having the correct kit for your personal requirement does certainly help.

Last edited:
hope you got the right one. There’s memory stick, memory stick pro and memory stick duo.

does this ancient camera even support 32gb?
Even 256mb would be very large for it.
Conceivably it will work but only detect a smaller size because 32GB is clearly impossible

Honestly @MrRichAllen1976 I think you would improve more by concentrating on some of the fundamentals, especially composition. I don't think your camera is the variable holding you back most at present judging by your pics, which are fun, but not something people are going to pay for. I remember the "pro photographer cheap camera challenge" on digital rev 10 years ago
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkKtkEZNjs
hopefully this will give you some inspiration.

Honestly @MrRichAllen1976 I think you would improve more by concentrating on some of the fundamentals, especially composition. I don't think your camera is the variable holding you back most at present judging by your pics, which are fun, but not something people are going to pay for. I remember the "pro photographer cheap camera challenge" on digital rev 10 years ago
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkKtkEZNjs
hopefully this will give you some inspiration.
Thanks for this will give it a watch and see what I can pick up also.

The specs are still on Sony site https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dsc-p-series/dsc-p73/specifications it says can use Memory Stick ™ / Memory Stick PRO ™
On this page you can find the camera and there are X against sizes above 128mb it doesn't show any 32GB cards so not sure what you bought really.
I would wait until it comes with the 16MB card before spending any more.
If possible cancel what you bought maybe or return it unopened if not suitable.
There may be ways to work around it this is an old camera most us weren't even born in 2004 :LOL:

Last edited:
So I'll have to keep deleting shots in between? That'll probably get annoying but never mind.

I can only suggest that you look at the compatibility table linked in @4wd post and then see if you can purchase a Memory Stick of one of the capacities that will work in the camera.

Surely this whole thing is a wind-up? Only saying …

I've sat here reading in almost bewilderment but I haven't seen any of the op's pictures so I just don't know.

There are some bloggers who only took up photography a relatively few years ago and yet seem to be talented and capable so you never know but the odds of success must be small especially when looking at using this sort of compact camera / old compact camera type gear. I think I'd be more confident spending £15 on a film camera than that old Sony digital.

And a film camera is not a suggestion for you Richard and I do wish you luck.

I hadn't realised it was an 'upgrade' or part of a business model.

My opinion is that it's a handy, walkaround point and shoot, great for the usual dog walks etc, where the final output will only mean something to you. Mine, a slightly later version, sits in a drawer and I grab it if I'm taking the dog out or a walk with my daughter, if I can't be bothered carrying full kit.

Mine will never be used seriously.

I love old, retro stuff and I can see it's appeal in that sense too, so just enjoy it for what it is. (y) Your's is also cheap, mine was over £300 new. :runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back