Just Brought A Epsom V500 Any Tips?

Name
Mark Gameson
Edit My Images
Yes
Well yesterday I had a V500 scanner pop up on my Ebay search £100 or best offer well the buyer in me thought got to get this cheaper even though it was already a good price in the end I paid £95 inc p&p[emoji1][emoji106]

So has anyone got any tips for someone who hasn't a clue

Thanks

Yes, with a question!

I've found that using Vuescan is a good start. Download it, works with almost every scanner. Loads of online tips.

The Epson Scan software is fine but much maligned for reasons i don't understand. This short guide should help you get the most from the scan, you want to get the most dynamic range from a scan then you can fix contrast and saturation in post, scan to TIFF. Not sure if you are new to film but in case you are don't be afraid to edit scans, no different then editing RAW files.

The Epson V500 has a maximum effective DPI of 1250 but you'll need to scan at 2400 DPI to achieve this, going above 2400 is a complete waste of time and disk space.

The 35mm holders are OK for 99% of films, the medium format holder one is poor as most people scan strips of three 6x6 (or equivalent) and the holder wasn't designed for that for some reason. The one in the newer v550 actually holds a full strip so you might be able to hunt down one of those if the v500 proves meh for you.

Back