Just built my DSLR Camera Trap......GENET captured last night with dinner!

Name
Glynn
Edit My Images
No
I regularly use 'Trail Cams' to scout out potential wildlife sites, prior to setting up my hide and 'camping out'. However, call me lazy, but I really wanted to get some 'decent' images without being 'on site' at 'stupid o'clock'!

I'm sure that others have posted their 'builds' on here, but as I could only find information elsewhere, I thought it worth showing some images of the 'outfit' and a couple of results so far.

I recently bought a second hand Nikon D7000 and with my 18-55 kit lens, this made an ideal cheap camera and lens set up. A Camtraptions v3 Trigger and my Godox V860-II Flashes and x-pro trigger (UPDATE: I now use Nikon SB-28 flashes) were combined for nocturnal use. The housings for the camera and flashes were made from plastic water pipe and a cheap 'peli-case' look-alike. Add in a 95mm UV filter to act as a window and a plastic 120mm to 100mm reducer for a sun/rain cover and away you go........think 1970's Blue Peter! ;) - The whole thing took a couple of days to make (mainly due to glue/paint drying time) and cost less than £80.00 in total.

Hoping to get some Foxes and Pine Marten in the coming weeks!

Anyway, here it is:
IMG_1293 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

IMG_1353 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

D70_4738 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

D70_4718 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Last edited:
Same here, I can't wait to see some nocturnal images ;)

I like the second shot of the cat. I think it needs cropping with the cat at the intersection of thirds and less foreground and black top. But the cat's face is really good, a cat with personality.

Looking forward to seeing some more of wildlife you capture.

Dave

Last edited:
These are great , I have doubts if my kit would still be there when I went to retrieve it , it seems almost impossible to avoid people where ever I go , even on private land . I agree with what someone above said , the anticipation of what you might of captured must be electric ! Well done .

Glynn utter admiration here, both for the images and the DIY approach to the camera trap build .

Buddy could you give me ...us I guess, a bit of back story on the Genet. I know nothing of them really bar the fact the exist. Did you know you lived besides them ,do you ever see them. Was the camera placed because you were aware of them travelling, ie runs footprints etc? apologies for all the questions it's a fascinating post and animal,it would be nice to know more

TFS

stu

Glynn utter admiration here, both for the images and the DIY approach to the camera trap build .

Buddy could you give me ...us I guess, a bit of back story on the Genet. I know nothing of them really bar the fact the exist. Did you know you lived besides them ,do you ever see them. Was the camera placed because you were aware of them travelling, ie runs footprints etc? apologies for all the questions it's a fascinating post and animal,it would be nice to know more

TFS

stu

Hi Stu,

The Genet is certainly known to exist in our area (North Dordogne), but I had never seen one before last week. - They really are very secretive and whilst most people have heard of them, very few have ever witnessed one. To be honest, I have had 'trail cams' out in my own woods and surrounding area over the past couple of years and although I have captured Foxes, Pine Marten, Badgers, Deer, Polecats etc, I have never captured any footage of the Genet until last week.

I had been told that someone had captured trail cam footage in a nearby forest, so set up the 'trail cam' a few weeks ago, to see what I could find. - Normally, I would use it to 'identify' potential targets and then go back with a hide, to set up some 'proper gear'. However, as this was going to be a 'nocturnal' shoot, it gave me the impetus to build a proper 'night time' camera trap.

The 'Genet' was my 'top' target, but whilst I expected all the usual culprits, I could not have anticipated actually photographing a Genet, on the first night. - The shots with the 'Wood Mouse', were way beyond any dreams, that I might have had!

Over the last few nights, the 'system' has continued to capture images of this animal, but none that compare with those original images..........YET!

It's going to be a 3 month project to try to capture the wildlife in this paticular forest, so hoping to post some more images as the project progresses.

Here is a link, that explains the creature, in far more detail, than I could supply: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_genet

It's obscene to think that people actually buy these wondrous animals as pets! :eek:

It's obscene to think that people actually buy these wondrous animals as pets!
Although the paradoxical thing is that you wouldn’t have them there in S Europe if they had not been imported as pets/whatever ;)

Are you sure that’s a Wood Mouse it’s carrying?

Although the paradoxical thing is that you wouldn’t have them there in S Europe if they had not been imported as pets/whatever ;)

Are you sure that’s a Wood Mouse it’s carrying?

Definitely a 'Wood Mouse'......loads of them over here. - In fact, I have more shots of 'Wood Mice', than any other creature, as they keep triggering the camera!

You are correct, that they were originally brought here as 'pest control', but sad that if you google 'Genet', you are more likely to find details about keeping them as pets, than you are to find details about the animal itself!

Glynn, thanks so so much for the reply sorry I didn't get back sooner ,I was waffling on hares a passion.

Buddy as I mentioned I know little of a Genet but thought they came from elsewhere all has become much clearer now thank you. It's funny how we togs get to make images of wild animals that simply should not be in our ecosystem, my beloved brown hare is similar it really shouldn't be here, but due to the actions of man it is. So although in many ways I wish we would just leave stuff alone and have what nature intended in our ecosystem I'm a bit torn, on non native species as an image maker.

I also knew nothing of folks keeping Genet as pets,I am aware of european lynx as pets which stunned me as they get shot in my country if they escape,which troubles me emensely as I feel they have more right to be here than me.

Exotic amimals in captivity is a whole other debate again I'm torn as we keep a room full of S. American frogs. I'd never contemplate keeping something like a lynx or genet but I know many will judge what I do as being equally wrong, it's so complex I'd rather not go further and derail your fab thread ,bu also feel I should be honest. with you as our pov's might be different.

Glynn last year during lockdown I had this wonderful chance at a nocturnal shoot with a fox family,I really wanted to be there, but those night shoots were so hard, I found it utterly brutal, it's just wonderful that we can harness the tech available with camera traps to get around being there in person ,it's and amazing way to make wildlife images, I don't see one as being superior to the other just different methods of making a frame.

I was really curious as to if you had actually tracked the genet by foot prints runs or the like . Knowing an animal lives along side us is one thing , putting a camera very close to where it travels is a whole other ball game to me. Fantastic work Glynn cheers so much for the reply

all the luck

stu

PS Rich my instant thought was woodmouse...why did you ask mate?? For me knowing nowt of mices :D in France I wondered if it might be a different species, not knowing a genet its really hard to build a scale in to how big the mouse actually is

PS Rich my instant thought was woodmouse...why did you ask mate?? For me knowing nowt of mices :D in France I wondered if it might be a different species, not knowing a genet its really hard to build a scale in to how big the mouse actually is
Yes, the rodent seemed too large for a wood mouse. to me. I guess Genets are smaller than they are in my “mind”. I will have seen Genets in London Zoo many years ago and of course they may have been a different, larger, species. There‘s nothing to scale the photo for us but Glynn knows the scale so I’m happy to accept what he says!

Then again, they may have gigantic wood mice in the Dordogne :).

Cheers for the reply rich. Me too, Glynn will know...... although I do like the sound of gigantic woodmice :LOL: ,

Cheers for the reply rich. Me too, Glynn will know...... although I do like the sound of gigantic woodmice :LOL: ,

The Genet is roughly the size of a cat, but with a longer tail. This one I would think, is about 70-80 cms long in total.

Our Wood Mice do seem to be a little larger than ones that I have found/seen in the UK, but I have no explanation as to why, other than regional variation. - Of course, the one in the Genets mouth, might just have been a tall, fat b@st@rd! ;)

Ha now that is a great way to start a day the first thing I read is fat B**** :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Nice one Glynn(y)

More seriously maybe they are a tad bigger down there in France ,who knows, it obviously resonated with both me and Richard, Glynn .

My very first impression apart from beong wowed by the genet was am I looking at a yellow necked mouse to be honest, I'm only aware of them aswell Glynn, and obviously that scale aspect of your images and a Genet (which I only know now how big it is just now) throws me completely

Yellow neck is terribly similar to a woodmouse and a tad larger it fits the bill, but as I say just theorising, I don't think I have ever seen one.

Glynn. for give me cheers for the reply.......... hows it going are you still getting images on a regular basis?

Ha now that is a great way to start a day the first thing I read is fat B**** :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Nice one Glynn(y)

More seriously maybe they are a tad bigger down there in France ,who knows, it obviously resonated with both me and Richard, Glynn .

My very first impression apart from beong wowed by the genet was am I looking at a yellow necked mouse to be honest, I'm only aware of them aswell Glynn, and obviously that scale aspect of your images and a Genet (which I only know now how big it is just now) throws me completely

Yellow neck is terribly similar to a woodmouse and a tad larger it fits the bill, but as I say just theorising, I don't think I have ever seen one.

Glynn. for give me cheers for the reply.......... hows it going are you still getting images on a regular basis?

You could well be right, but they are just called Wood Mice over here (Yellow Necked or not). - If I ever catch one, I will definitely take a closer look!

The system is still being triggered once or twice most nights, but with varying degrees of photographic success. These things move quite quickly and often outrun the speed of the trigger system......I have lots of images of 'half' a Genet. :LOL:

The surprising thing, is that I have not yet captured any images of Pine Marten, or Foxes, which are also in the same area........watch this space.

Half genet images you are fun mate, (y) There's l no dressing that one................. that's what you get for being tucked up in bed when the action is going on:LOL:

Last line is fascinating, I wonder how a non native cat interacts with fox and marten and if there is a tie in to no images of them ...so far?

Thread revival…

I’m looking at building a trap for the garden up here in Skye as we get all sorts of interesting visitors including a pine marten. I’ve never set one up before (other than a trail cam) so reading all sorts on it.

A couple of questions on technique. How do you determine how long (or if) to delay the shutter after the animal has triggered the sensor? And how many frames do you take. Do the animals get spooked by the flashes? And presumably you are setting aperture to something for decent depth of field?

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

I use the Camtraptions Triggers for my system and there is no delay, as the triggers will fire the camera and flashes (if used) simaltaneously. You can alter the width of the trigger area on the main trigger, by opening the 'flaps' to give a wider 'pick up' area. - This can be useful for creatures that move quickly across your target area, as there will always be a very small delay in the system triggering the camera, and the creature will have moved forwards slightly from the trigger point. It's also worth using a wide angle lens, to give you best chance of capturing your target. Of course, like all photography, it is a compromise between getting the complete creature to fill the screen, versus getting lots of half images of just heads, or rear ends if you try to get too close!

My 'standard' set-up, is to shoot at around 25mm at 1/160th, f8, ISO-400 and around 3 meters distance. I use 2 (sometimes 3) Nikon SB-28 flashes, set at 1/8 power. Try to force your target to use a specific route by using barriers, or making your focus point a 'destination' for the creature, where it might slow down, or stop for a moment. - Pine Martens love peanut butter, so try to smear some on or close to your focus point. It should at least slow them down, but try not to let it show in your image, as it will not look 'natural'.

I have tried a LOT of different settings on my main trigger, but for my own specific use, now have it set to take 4 images in quick succession, which works well for my target species. - The flash does not seem to bother them, as they are still returning regularly.

Here are a few more recent shots (with varied success), which show the pleasure and frustration of nocturnal wildlife photography:

This 'Sanglier' wandered past a bit too close, as my focus point and lighting was set a few feet further back where I had seen Badgers a few nights earlier. Frustratingly, you can only focus on a certain point and hope the animals will play ball.

D70_8635 (2) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

This Female Genet behaved perfectly and chose the 'right' branch to walk along!

D70_8335 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Not a great shot, but at least it's a Pine Marten.

D70_8359_01 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

This Fox looks fit and healthy and is often caught on my system.

D70_8130 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Badger did show up, but not a great shot.....yet!

D70_8590_01 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back