Just got an Air Fryer !

Having party food for dinner tonight (it's a tradition). Pigs in blankets, frozen mac & cheese bites and tempura prawns. Goo8gling tells me to reduce temperature by 20 degrees and time by 20-25% to convert from oven to air fryer. Does this meet experiences from people here?
Here's a handy chart for conversion: It's not a strict guide I would say, it'll depend on what you're cooking and the result you desire [whether you want a slower, more moist cook , like a pork fillet, or crispy well done tenders]

In or around 1/5 off the time and 20-40 degrees reduction in heat depending on the type of AF you have. I tend to go by the 20 degree lower rule, you will just know after using it for a bit exactly what temp and times for different foods

Last edited:
That's sounds about right to me Marc.
We started by looking at the roast times quoted. Then experimented from there. What you quote is about where we ended up. I think the secret in the early days is to shake and check often.

Here's a handy chart for conversion: It's not a strict guide I would say, it'll depend on what you're cooking and the result you desire [whether you want a slower, more moist cook , like a pork fillet, or crispy well done tenders]

In or around 1/5 off the time and 20-40 degrees reduction in heat depending on the type of AF you have. I tend to go by the 20 degree lower rule, you will just know after using it for a bit exactly what temp and times for different foods
Thanks both, I may never use the oven again! :D

Thanks both, I may never use the oven again! :D

Since I got mine I've used the oven twice in the past year, once for a large pork joint that would have neede to be cut up for the Air fryer and over 2 sessions, the other was Christmas Turkey and Ham. I've used the AF every other day besides, even did the roasties in it this year

Since I got mine I've used the oven twice in the past year, once for a large pork joint that would have neede to be cut up for the Air fryer and over 2 sessions, the other was Christmas Turkey and Ham. I've used the AF every other day besides, even did the roasties in it this year
Pretty much the same here.

A few days before Christmas Day we used the oven for pizza and talked about the last time we had used it. We think it might have been sometime in early September, again for pizza. Now everything is done on the hob, in the microwave, in a Remoska or in a worktop halogen oven.

Dave

yeah we are literally working through the freezer and finding the last few things that we need to probably do in the oven then I think we will just slide over to 100% air fryer

for pizza.
I don't eat many pizza per year, but usually have one in the freezer as a stand by.
I tried one the other day, on the Pizza setting, epic fail.
The top burned, and the base was soggy :(

The 1/4lb burgers on the other hand were much more tasty than grilled or pan fried,
adding a lump of cheese on top, for the last minute of cooking.
Now that's what I call a cheese burger (y)

What type/brand of pizza was it @Cobra ? I've cooked pizza many times in mine and they turned out fine. If it was one of those softer base type that require it to be on a baking tray they can be more hit and miss, need to spray the tray with your oil and pre-heat so the tray is hot before putting the pizza in, should stiffen up the base when cooking. I do know that the Dr. Oetker range come out decent, and Tesco deep pan pizzas, they also fit on the tray for mine without needing to be pre-cut. Whatever pizza I'm doing I'll drop the temp a bit and use the middle shelf so the top doen't burn

What type/brand of pizza was it @Cobra ? I've cooked pizza many times in mine and they turned out fine. If it was one of those softer base type that require it to be on a baking tray
It was flat and round :D And yes it was on a baking tray in a preheated fryer. But no matter, I eat them so rarely I'll probably not bother for another 6 months

It was flat and round :D And yes it was on a baking tray in a preheated fryer. But no matter, I eat them so rarely I'll probably not bother for another 6 months

Y'know you can get square pizza? :p Reason I ask is because there was one brand that turned out soft and saggy for me but I'm not certain what exact brand it was, thinking Chicago town

I ask is because there was one brand that turned out soft and saggy for me but I'm not certain what exact brand it was, thinking Chicago town
It may have been but as above I really can't remember.

edited to add, No I didn't know they also came in "square"

Last edited:
shop pizza is crap even in a posh oven or air fryer you just can't beat a 400 degree stone oven and some guy putting it on your table 45 seconds later.

shop pizza is crap even in a posh oven or air fryer you just can't beat a 400 degree stone oven and some guy putting it on your table 45 seconds later.
I went to one of those places years ago. I guess that put me off pizza's maybe it was the female company, could have always have been a combination of both.

I went to one of those places years ago. I guess that put me off pizza's maybe it was the female company, could have always have been a combination of both.

maybe male company would make you feel more at ease?

As this was about 10 years ago and I never went or had inclination to go back with any one of the 47 genders I doubt that has any relevance.

The best pizza I ever had was surprisingly in Italy. Rarely eat it myself at home, I just buy and cook it up for my daughters and just go with whatever fits in the AF. You're never getting great pizza at home tbh, even your shoddy local pizza take away will always trump it. Though when I was doing the keto diet I did make some pretty good ones using almond flour dough base, that diet, fad or not, had me actually baking again.

There's one thing that always spoils 'posh" Pizza for me. Whenever I'm eating it I'm thinking, "11 quid for this? It cost 10p to make!"
Amazing mark-up, I just can't get past it.

There's one thing that always spoils 'posh" Pizza for me. Whenever I'm eating it I'm thinking, "11 quid for this? It cost 10p to make!"

no different to a curry tho is it? most restaurant money nowadays goes on rent/rates/payroll/pension/NI etc
we go to rudys pizza in leeds about once every month and pig out at £12 each like poisened pups

The best pizza I ever had was surprisingly in Italy. Rarely eat it myself at home, I just buy and cook it up for my daughters and just go with whatever fits in the AF. You're never getting great pizza at home tbh, even your shoddy local pizza take away will always trump it. Though when I was doing the keto diet I did make some pretty good ones using almond flour dough base, that diet, fad or not, had me actually baking again.

You can, Tesco sell pizza dough, or you can make your own,. simple tomato sauce and toppings of your choice. I get great pizza from my Ooni, but oven is fine. There are also very nice pizzas called Crosta Molica fresh and frozen while I also like the stuffed crust Pizzas frozen

Bit like a wedding tog.... Just pushes a button and sends a USB of images and charges £1,500 when it only cost £5 to make said USB

Bit like a wedding tog.... Just pushes a button and sends a USB of images and charges £1,500 when it only cost £5 to make said USB
A new year. No Change in you though.

Last edited:
no different to a curry tho is it? most restaurant money nowadays goes on rent/rates/payroll/pension/NI etc
we go to rudys pizza in leeds about once every month and pig out at £12 each like poisened pups
No different than most services, mine included. Just grates with pizza for some reason. :D

bunging some of these in tomorrow make some nice wraps

View attachment 408362

I hope you stuck a toilet roll in the fridge as a precaution for the morning after :oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$

We got an air fryer for Xmas. Mrs Oy is doing some sort of chicken thing in it as I type!!!!

Well, had the AF a week now and only used the oven once and that was just for the garlic bread. Did chicken breasts the other day, absolutely perfect.
Mrs F used it for the first time today. Did cheese & onion toasties for lunch, delicious!

Last edited:
Any recommendations for the best frozen chips to use in an air fryer?
i like mcain straight cut chips but the thing i find is not to hot and don#t over do them and spray them with a bit of oil and shake them mid way

I use McCain naked chips, or make my own, but that is a bit of a faff, as you are supposed to soak them for half an hour, to get rid of the starch.
As already said a light spray with oil and shake them half way through.

My lot tend to prefer spicey wedges or waffles but for chips they seem to like the 'steak cut' chips from Tesco. One thing they never liked before I got the AF was hash browns, they're now back in rotation as they come out much crispier than I could ever get them from the oven [without almost cremating them!] Just flip them have way, and a light spray of oil across both sides and even the cheap Tesco brand ones turn out better than I've had from any take-out

One thing they never liked before I got the AF was hash browns, they're now back in rotation as they come out much crispier than I could ever get them from the oven
I previously always fried them in a pan, not cooked them in an oven.
but of course they get air fried now.

I previously always fried them in a pan, not cooked them in an oven.
but of course they get air fried now.

I can't remember the last time I deep fried anything, it'll be over a decade back! I do still shallow fry occasionally [Trad fry ups or stir fry mostly] I love that you can get similar if not better results using an AF with just a sprinkle of oil, making it obviously healthier and easier to use better quality oils too

Last edited:
I love that you can get similar if not better results using an AF with just a sprinkle of oil,
A full English takes a bit of trial and error, but once cracked, it comes out very nicely, inc. crispy bacon and fried tomato's :)

Must admit, I do like double cooked, deep fried in beef dripping chips. Not the healthiest so they are a treat for us, maybe once or twice a month.

I've never really nailed oven chips in an air fryer though but I will try in the new air fryer.

I cooked fresh sausage in ours today as a lunchtime treat, as a toasted sandwich. Best air fried sausages I've ever had. I didn't actually use any particular method, I just whamed them in a left them on about 130 for 20 minutes. I do wonder how accurate the temperature setting is on our new air fryer/oven. 20 minutes at 130 and the sausages were perfect. There was a lot of fat in the drip tray below the rack.

Last edited:
Best air fried sausages I've ever had.
I find even the frozen ones ( I do let them thaw first) the likes of Richmond taste far better in the air fryer than a pan.

A full English takes a bit of trial and error, but once cracked, it comes out very nicely, inc. crispy bacon and fried tomato's :)

Full Irish here, obviously :p I make a killer fry up, maybe too good, it's why I ended up needing to shed 3 stone! :O I'll have the works, sausages, bacon, white pud [gone off the black stuff] tomatoes and as many fried eggs as the pan will hold - I guess maybe one difference is for the Irish we tend to not crisp the bacon too much, but it'll be top quality 'rashers' and I'd have mushrooms before I'll ever add beans

I have even cooked soft and hard boiled eggs in the AF, I thought it sounded a bit mad when someone told me they had been doing it ages - but it works! without needing any boiling water [so not truly 'boiled eggs' but same result when timed right]

I think this is the guide I followed for timing and I remember going for 130/140 celcius https://cookathomemom.com/air-fryer-eggs/

Last edited:
I have even cooked soft and hard boiled eggs in the AF,
They seem to take a lot longer in the air fryer, same goes for poached eggs, much quicker in a poacher :)
I'll have the works, sausages, bacon, white pud [gone off the black stuff] tomatoes and as many fried eggs as the pan will hold
You forgot the fried bread and toast. I Have to admit, I've never tried white pudding, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Back