Just like life, one shaft after another (build log, video added)

Ah, you've taken it off to paint. (y)
No doubt to avoid little black footprints in all the cars tomorrow morning. :whistle:

Have you got a completion date in sight yet?

Ah, you've taken it off to paint. (y)
No doubt to avoid little black footprints in all the cars tomorrow morning. :whistle:

Have you got a completion date in sight yet?

Nawty cup :D

I hope to finish it around the end of this month or the begining of next month :)

The car and centre post details are taking shape

they have all been laid out to form a decal sheet, I have to find that craft knife, it must be in my box of tricks :)

Still no handles though, another thing I may have to make

Glad you know where its all going Em ... :) :clap:

:thinking:

I just had this wee thought of cats with dinky car shoes racing around while everyone sleeps...

Then I remembered what cars your talking about. lol

:bonk: :LOL:

I've kept that cup away from my :jaffa: 's :D

I've finished the painting, on with the installation :)

6710151377_66210ea5d0_z.jpg

Nearly there

and the buttons work (y)

decisions decisions about what materials to use when it comes to boarding up the sides of the hoistway (tower), I have decided to recycle an old wardrobe standing at the end of my hallway, it's doing nothing, full of clutter and taking up space.

:)

decisions decisions about what materials to use when it comes to boarding up the sides of the hoistway (tower), I have decided to recycle an old wardrobe standing at the end of my hallway, it's doing nothing, full of clutter and taking up space.

If you upgrade the battery, you'll have:
The Li-ion, the Winch, and The Wardrobe... :D

:coat:

Looking good Robily (y)

I just don't know what to say Vicky.:shake:
That was bad even for you.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

wawawaaaa :D

Looking good Robily (y)

I just don't know what to say Vicky.:shake:
That was bad even for you.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

cheers Chris (y)

:LOL: but its so bad its good.

Lovin the buttons Em, your gonna have to build another box for all the clutter now. ;)

Cheers Adam, I still have an empty ottoman in the bedroom for that lot :)

I've also got the materials for the miniature handles to go in the cars and on the landings :)

Fascinating read - and well done.

If I recall, many moons ago, one of the tower blocks (Geography?) at Birmingham University used to have a paternoster installed, and it was a pleasure to ride. There were no signs warning about travel over the top - even though it is not dangerous, but I never plucked up the courage.

I look forward to seeing the final video.

Regards,

White.

The decal sheets have been printed and one test handle has been made, which fits nicely, now to make another 27 of them :)

Some more handles have been made today, I hope to get 10 from 1 rod, otherwise I will have to buy another rod just to make an extra 8

I can get 14 from each rod, only 10 more to make, the cabins have to come out so the handles can be fixed on

Hold on

Hang on a minute

Can you let go of this?

Run out of handle jokes...

So I think you should start looking at refining the process to make this cost viable because there are going to be plenty of people on here that want one for their house now!

Hold on

Hang on a minute

Can you let go of this?

Run out of handle jokes...

So I think you should start looking at refining the process to make this cost viable because there are going to be plenty of people on here that want one for their house now!

Cheers Gary (y)

the only thing that cost the most money was the drive components and battery, the wood was fairly cheap :)

the only thing is most of the components had to be hand made (shunt rings, cabins, drive component rails, floors, centre tree, centre post and hoistway)

all the plans are on a flash pen, plus two disk drives

If the cabins have to come out, I can see Mr Cup making a break for it... :exit:

:p

He already did, but got caught in the drive chain at the bottom, ended up between the two shafts :)

The cabins are out, and lined up on the bench waiting for me to finish the handles, cutting down the legs, the glueing them into place :)

Two of the cabins have handles installed, the wardrobe has been dismantled and now being measured up to the hoistway :)

12 more handles have been made, I was 9 short, so made extra ones :)

Cabins cabins everywhere !!!

6792100577_5bd31cb15a_z.jpg

I handled it, until I run out due to miscounting how many I needed, had to make some new ones, but couldn't get hold of the metal rod I used previously, none available, so had to use aluminium rod 4mm diameter.

6792106669_93a876e867_z.jpg

Hoistway has 4 handles in place

6792119627_eb8907170c_z.jpg

Last edited:
6798087559_d60c5be6bb_z.jpg

Hoistway with handles

Now got to put all the cabins back in and test run again :)

All cabins are installed, I did notice a problem with one of the guide rails, it's to do with the terry clip at the top of the hoistway, after re-jigging the front chain anchors and replacing the first lock nut with 2 washers, test run wise it's fine :)

I'm upgrading the bearing blocks and bearings, as the wooden ones are wearing out too quickly, there is a pronounced skew on the sprockets (not good), the whole overhead drive assembly has to come out to be re-aligned, I will do that once the new bearings and blocks have been fittled.

The new bearing blocks have arrived, with the new bearings, the entire overhead drive has been removed :)

6843352947_8c342fc1d4_z.jpg

I can see the cup wanting his 2p back :LOL:

6843356757_ca99c609b2_z.jpg

Looks like the overhead drive crashed into the pit, although that didn't happen as it would have wrecked everything going down. :)

6843348725_572b05a1c9_z.jpg

Nawtieeee...... the cause of the problem, this bearing block made of wood, has worn out and split, causing a twist.

6843343503_a7357e986c_z.jpg

I had to square up the overhead rails, as the weight of the sprockets skewed the frame, it also has a new pillow block in the picture, to be measured up before installing.

6843361877_9d57a5b503_z.jpg

Pillow blocks

6843368259_28d7aeacff_z.jpg

6843352947_8c342fc1d4_z.jpg

I can see the cup wanting his 2p back :LOL:
Knowing his luck, he's underneath that lot. :help: ;)

ETA: Would it be a lot of work to place the drive unit at the bottom of the shafts, so there'd be less to come crashing down on everything in the event of a catastrophic structural failure?

Last edited:
Knowing his luck, he's underneath that lot. :help: ;)

ETA: Would it be a lot of work to place the drive unit at the bottom of the shafts, so there'd be less to come crashing down on everything in the event of a catastrophic structural failure?

It's more work than is really needed, as the overheads weigh about the same as the free running sprockets, but it's all looking good, squared up again :)

Rob 80386 said:
It's more work than is really needed, as the overheads weigh about the same as the free running sprockets, but it's all looking good, squared up again :)

This is an amazing project - from inception to completion! Are you going to exhibit it when you have done the final tweaks?

Updates updates...... News just in

The drive upgrade is going to plan..... Famous last words. ;)

The pinwheel and long drive shaft, that links the front and rear chains, have been installed, waiting for 3 more 17mm bearings, the supplier run out of stock.
I have one already installed onto the sprocket shaft.

The bearings are late, but at least I can re-align the guide rails and centre tree :)

The magic email has arrived, the bearings are on their way,

the drive and hoistway rebuild can commence :)

Back