Just sold my first image

Name
Brad 'Electron-Don' Foster
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, sup guys.

I was out sailing round paxos and a huge 100ft super yacht anchored next to us.

The next morning we left back to kefalonia preally early, jsut as i got on deck the sun was rising past this huge yacht, named ****. I took a few shots and they looked great but thought nothing of it.

Googled it later and it turns out 'Nostromo' is a huge, privalty owned charter boat. it costs....get this......im deadly serious.........€48,500 per week:eek: to charter.

After reading this and seeing there website i thought I'd write to the owner, one 'Andrew Cook' and ask if he was interested in the images.

He replied, offering me £100 for the images on a CD posted to his london address.

I really wana post the shot here, as its beautiful. BUT i promised he will own the images and i would not post on the internet anywhere.

Needless to say im very happy with my first sale (y)

Brad

Last edited:
Nice Brad great to sell an image but to give away the copyright ( well say yo wont post on the net) :nono: he can do what he wants with the images now, use them for advertising in mags and more, Id have a re think hes making that much, he would pay more

Last edited:
Hey, sup guys.

I was out sailing round paxos and a huge 100ft super yacht anchored next to us.

The next morning we left back to kefalonia preally early, jsut as i got on deck the sun was rising past this huge yacht, named Nostromo. I took a few shots and they looked great but thought nothing of it.

Googled it later and it turns out 'Nostromo' is a huge, privalty owned charter boat. it costs....get this......im deadly serious.........€48,500 per week:eek: to charter.

After reading this and seeing there website i thought I'd write to the owner, one 'Andrew Cook' and ask if he was interested in the images.

He replied, offering me £100 for the images on a CD posted to his london address.

I really wana post the shot here, as its beautiful. BUT i promised he will own the images and i would not post on the internet anywhere.

Needless to say im very happy with my first sale (y)

Brad

Nice one Brad :)

I suppose you could post it on here but covered in copyright, your call in the end though :)

:canon:

well i said he can have the whole set. about 15

mabe i got a bit overwhelmed at the offer, if he uses them for advertising he could make thousands.

He is obviously a very clever man or he would not have a £3m + yacht

hmm, what to do, the money has not come through yet so i got room to breathe.

what do you suggest guys ?

thanks

take the money and pitch him for more work

take the money and pitch him for more work

Thats a very good idea

he seems a nice bloke, i saw him again a few nights ago and he emailed the next day saying he saw my boat and that i should have come over and come aboard for a tour and a drink. So yer, mabe he would be interested in me doing some work for him.

But he said he wouldnt put it online so he cant put it on here

well i havent sent the images yet, neither has the money cleared. so as i took 15 images, i'll keep one for me and post that.

is that legit ?

Depends what you agreed, £100 and a tour of the yacht/drinks is an opportunity, why risk spoiling it?

15 photos and no purchaser = £0 - breach of agreement with rich 'client' could be £-

oh now im so confused.

well here is the image, ill leave it up for a hour then remove as i dont want to risk it.

i have done all images in different edits, this is jsut one.

Last edited:
15 images £100 thats £6.66p each :naughty: - the cost of the disc and your time + P/Postage

on the other hand the OP isnt a pro , and its a hundred quid more than he had before - for images he's already taken

Thread is already listed on Google.

100ft super yacht, London home, Roman Abramovich ??? Nah, the boat is way to small lol

Really nice picture, I like it.

Could just see myself sitting on it now sipping a g&t :)

on the other hand the OP isnt a pro , and its a hundred quid more than he had before - for images he's already taken

True but he took the shots paid for the holiday, camera gear, and to be there at the right time £6.66p for an image and give away rights to it as far as the internet is concerned

BUT i promised he will own the images and i would not post on the internet anywhere.

Brad

Broke that promise then :nono: and its on photobucket so thats twice :bang: at this rate youll be owing him money

Last edited:
100ft super yacht, London home, Roman Abramovich ??? Nah, the boat is way to small lol

i think it just looks that way because theres nothing to scale it against - if you look here its clearly the same boat - and 100ft is only 33 metres which isnt that big

True but he took the shots paid for the holiday, camera gear, and to be there at the right time £6.66p for an image and give away rights to it as far as the internet is concerned

Broke that promise then :nono: and its on photobucket so thats twice :bang:

yeah but he was there anyway - its not like he went on the trip specifically to take the shot (also if you look at his location i think he lives out there)

I agree with the latter point though - If I was andrew cook i'd not be happy - and i'd tell you where your hundred pound fee would best fit (regardless of whether 100 is too low for the copyright, a promise is a promise)

Ok, point taken. image removed.

i doubt weather he has seen it in the last 25 mins, so im safe.

Anyway, as previously stated the money has not come through yet, so they are technicaly still my images.

ok im getting alot of mixed thoughts here, and while i really do appreciate the input from all you guys, i need to know what to do.

1. take the £100 and buy some new DC's
2. ask that i keep the rights
3. ask for more work

yes i do live here at the mo, and yes i was on a trip already. but that is not the point IMO

shot is a shot, regardless.

You got lucky, then you got greedy, then you got stupid. 3 out of 3. 

You got lucky, then you got greedy, then you got stupid. 3 out of 3. 

Thanks Malo thats what i thought

But, mabe asking for some work is not stupid, if he likes the shots then mabe he wants more ?

a) let the deal stand as it is - going back on it will only cause him to tell you to do one (yes a hundred quid is too low for copyright but its too late to renegotiate now )

b) by all means pitch him for more work - he'll probably say no , but its like the old rule if you ask ten girls to sleep with you, you'll only get your face slapped 9 times

and c) in future set a more realistic rate on your work - £100 wouldnt be too bad for non exclusive use of a few oportunistic shots, but if a customer wants exclusivity or copyright they need to be prepared to pay for it (though equally you have to be prepared for some to walk away)

saxk said:
Thanks Malo thats what i thought

But, mabe asking for some work is not stupid, if he likes the shots then mabe he wants more ?

Any extra work would be good, but will the buyer trust you in the future?

Last edited:
a) let the deal stand as it is - going back on it will only cause him to tell you to do one (yes a hundred quid is too low for copyright but its too late to renegotiate now )

b) by all means pitch him for more work - he'll probably say no , but its like the old rule if you ask ten girls to sleep with you, you'll only get your face slapped 9 times

and c) in future set a more realistic rate on your work - £100 wouldnt be too bad for non exclusive use of a few oportunistic shots, but if a customer wants exclusivity or copyright they need to be prepared to pay for it (though equally you have to be prepared for some to walk away)

Good advice, thanks man (y)

A deal is a deal. Stick to it and learn the lesson. At the end of the day £100 is £100, Not bad for a first sale. Congrats.(y)

A deal is a deal. Stick to it and learn the lesson. At the end of the day £100 is £100, Not bad for a first sale. Congrats.(y)

Thanks dude

so jsut run by me what i should do next time in regards to rights ?

I think the answer is you have to think what the deal is worth to the buyer. Selling exclusive rights to the images precludes you from any further use and sales. Whereas he could make a fair bit by using them in advertising. In future find out what the buyers intended use is and what it has cost you and go from there. Don't try to fleece it but be realistic. If he had asked a pro to come out and take 15 exclusive pictures for him, what would it have cost him? I take it the tog would have had to hire a boat of some kind, right? Probably at least £50 quid right there and then there's his time on top of that. I doubt anyone would have done it for any less than £500 at a guess.:shrug:

Last edited:
I think the answer is you have to think what the deal is worth to the buyer. By selling exclusive rights to the images precludes you from any further use and sales. Whereas he could make a fair bit by using them in advertising. In future find out what the buyers intended use is and what it has cost you and go from there. Don't try to fleece it but be realistic. If he had asked a pro to come out and take 15 exclusive pictures for him, what would it have cost him? I take it the tog would have had to hire a boat of some kind, right? Probably at least £50 quid right there and then there's his time on top of that. I doubt anyone would have done it for any less than £500 at a guess.:shrug:

But on this occasion, the boat owner wasn't looking to have any pictures taken of the boat.

Personally, I think the OP has done well to get some money out of images that he would otherwise have given away for free.

Incidentally, I've just sold an image on iStockPhoto for $0.22 today, so the OP has done rather better than me :)

But on this occasion, the boat owner wasn't looking to have any pictures taken of the boat.

Personally, I think the OP has done well to get some money out of images that he would otherwise have given away for free.

Incidentally, I've just sold an image on iStockPhoto for $0.22 today, so the OP has done rather better than me :)

I do realise that, but the OP did ask. You're 22 cents better off than me then.;)

Before you started this thread, you'd sold some pictures for £100 and were happy with that.

Just because others think you should have charged more shouldn't change that.

Enjoy the sale (well done by the way for the use of the initiative) and hopefully you'll be able to pick up some releat work of the inside :naughty:

Just be glad you have the hundred pound

Don't forget to register with HMRC in the next three months.

Back